HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Three Columbus First Rounders are in Play

Old
05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
caley

vCash: 500
All Three Columbus First Rounders are in Play

per Craig Custance

Quote:
All three Columbus first-round picks very much in play for immediate and long-term help for Blue Jackets.
While Scott Howson was in Columbus we had numerous Ales Hemsky and/or Linus Omark to Columbus rumors and proposals. I wonder if Kekalainen would like a Hemsky/Omark package enough to move a first for it? That would then leave Edmonton able to move their own first for a defenceman.

05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Considering how Jarmo drafts, it's going to take something pretty good to move those picks.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per Craig Custance

While Scott Howson was in Columbus we had numerous Ales Hemsky and/or Linus Omark to Columbus rumors and proposals. I wonder if Kekalainen would like a Hemsky/Omark package enough to move a first for it? That would then leave Edmonton able to move their own first for a defenceman.
I'd have a hard time believing that Kekalainen would be looking for guys who are on the down side of their career as 'immediate' help. Sure, Omark could be a useful NHLer one day but Hemsky helps for 1 year then can walk? If if he re-signs, how effective can he be and for how long?

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
per Craig Custance

Thanks for that, caley. Good one.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Kbs

What's with all the rumours today (not that I'm complaining)? This rumour, along with a Jeff Schultz request for a trade and NYI possibly having interest in Luongo seems like an unusual time for rumours to surface.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:48 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
What's with all the rumours today (not that I'm complaining)? This rumour, along with a Jeff Schultz request for a trade and NYI possibly having interest in Luongo seems like an unusual time for rumours to surface.
Two days with no hockey games. The media needs something to do!

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:50 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
A late first round pick for Hemsky isn't that bad of a deal, don't know what you're laughing at.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Of course they're in play, so is probably over half the roster if the right value is there.

The mantra of the current front office is to improve the hockey club, they have repeatedly and publicly stated as much. The prerequisite is that whatever move is made helps in both the immediate and future.

so Custance's statement is kind of a DUH!!

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:52 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
A late first round pick for Hemsky isn't that bad of a deal, don't know what you're laughing at.
Glassman who scored at barely a .5 PPG clip this season (when he was actually healthy) and is 30 years old and signed at $5M? Yeah, and people in the Havlat thread are suggesting he's worth a 4th rounder.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:55 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Would the Blue Jackets have any interest in Cammalleri or Tanguay?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:57 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
One of those picks is at #19 and another is going to be in the bottom 4. Pavol Demitra (At age 32, coming off a 62 point season with a career peak of 89 points) returned a first round pick (17th overall) and (then) top prospect Patrick O'Sullivan. R.J. Umberger (At age 26 coming off a (then career high of) 50 points) returned a 1st pick (19th overall). It's not outrageous to suggest Ales Hemsky (At age 29, coming off a pro-rated season of 40 points) could return a pick in the 27-30 region.

Just two years ago, the much younger (25) but nowhere near the scorer (at his peak a 40 pointer who had dipped down to 36 points that year) Troy Brouwer returned a 26th pick.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Would the Blue Jackets have any interest in Cammalleri or Tanguay?
I could see Tanguay for the Kings 1st being a pretty fair trade.

Or PIT 1st + Tanguay for the Rangers 1st.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Fire Julien

3 1st's+Murray for Seguin

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Would 14 + the better choice of Kings/Rangers be enough to get into the Top 5? I mean they have other pieces they could add as well. Land them Lindholm or Monahan.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
3 1st's+Murray for Seguin
Yea, sign me up for this one.

Last edited by Roadman: 05-30-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:05 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
One of those picks is at #19 and another is going to be in the bottom 4. Pavol Demitra (At age 32, coming off a 62 point season with a career peak of 89 points) returned a first round pick (17th overall) and (then) top prospect Patrick O'Sullivan. R.J. Umberger (At age 26 coming off a (then career high of) 50 points) returned a 1st pick (19th overall). It's not outrageous to suggest Ales Hemsky (At age 29, coming off a pro-rated season of 40 points) could return a pick in the 27-30 region.

Just two years ago, the much younger (25) but nowhere near the scorer (at his peak a 40 pointer who had dipped down to 36 points that year) Troy Brouwer returned a 26th pick.
Hemsky's closest comparable in this league is Martin Havlat. Everyone in the Havlat thread is saying that he has absolutely no value and should be bought out.

Would you give a first for Martin Havlat?

Old
05-30-2013, 05:06 PM
kasper11

Quote:

1) Hemsky is a UFA after the season, which lowers his value.
2) All of those players are better in their own end than the one-dimensional Hemsky.
3) Hemsky's production the last two season has been piss poor for a one-dimensional player.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Hemsky isn't worth much these days to be honest.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:10 PM
mrinsane

If Columbus takes Hemsky and Omark. I hope Habs offer Brian Gionta and Steve Quailer for CLB 1rst pick 2013

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:11 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
I could see Tanguay for the Kings 1st being a pretty fair trade.

Or PIT 1st + Tanguay for the Rangers 1st.
As a Flames fan, I'd do this.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
For some reason Oilers fans still like to think Hemsky is a young PPG player instead of the reality which is that was quite a few seasons ago and he's been consistently injured year after year and hasn't even been able to be a good player on a bad team.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Ricky Bobby

Blue Jackets should hold onto their 3 1st rounders.

There a team that looked better then they likely are because of the shortened season where they had a hot goalie whose unlikely to repeat his Vezina like performance over a full season.

Blue Jackets need to be patient.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Blue Jackets should hold onto their 3 1st rounders.

There a team that looked better then they likely are because of the shortened season where they had a hot goalie whose unlikely to repeat his Vezina like performance over a full season.

Blue Jackets need to be patient.
You got a crystal ball there buddy? Any chance I can get the lottery numbers?

If I'm Columbus I'm looking to package at least one of those picks for an NHL ready prospect or a veteran who fits into the plans (Pavelski)

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:19 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Wouldn't really be that bad of an idea for Columbus to move one or two of the picks. You move one to add help now and going forward. Someone in their prime. Then you still have two solid prospects that could pan out going forward. The chances that all 3 pan out the way they would want can't be THAT likely so moving one or two for a sure thing is decent idea.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:29 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
1) Hemsky is a UFA after the season, which lowers his value.
Yes and no. Hemsky comes in next year, finds chemistry with Gaborik and puts up 60+ points and helps you get into the playoffs, he's already earned that late 1st pick. Hemsky comes in next year, gets hurt and/or struggles, you dump him at the deadline for a 2nd/3rd rounder and you've only dropped 10-20 spots in the draft. You also have his $5 million cap hit off the books in one year to use on re-signing Gaborik.

The UFA after the season decreasing value thing is partly true and partly myth. Brent Burns was one year removed from being a UFA when he returned, essentially, three first rounders.

Quote:
2) All of those players are better in their own end than the one-dimensional Hemsky.
Hemsky's not going to draw any Pavel Datsyuk comparisions, but he's hardly a defensive liability. I know you can't judge anything/everything on +/- but the fact that he was a positive player on two of the worst teams in Oilers history, shows that he's not a defensive blackhole. I think he's actually fairly underrated when it comes to defence.

Quote:
3) Hemsky's production the last two season has been piss poor for a one-dimensional player.
Hemsky has settled into about a 40 point groove the last two seasons, but he's only two years removed from being on a consistent 65-80 point pace.

I actually think that Hemsky for a 26-30 draft pick could be the steal of the offseason if some team were to pull it off. The biggest thing I think that Hemsky has going for him that Martin Havlat doesn't is that contract flexibility. If you trade a 26-30 draft pick for Hemsky and Hemsky doesn't pan out, at worst, you've given up a prospect for a guy you wave goodbye to next summer (That's assuming he has no value at the deadline). If you trade for Havlat and he doesn't pan out, you still have another year of him in which you owe him an extra $1 million in addition to his $5 million cap hit. Hemsky gives you flexibility, if he works with Gaborik or makes Johansen more of a consistent offensive threat, then you can work with him on a new contract or still let him go for space. If he doesn't, you simply cut your losses at the end of the year. If Havlat works out, then great, but his $5 million cap hit for the following season is cap hit that could be used for Gaborik and represents real dollars that your ownership would have to spend to get rid of him. I think it's Hemsky over Havlat by a mile.