HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Howard Berger: Leafs will speak to isles about Tim Thomas

Old
05-30-2013, 06:48 PM
veedubn1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Really?

He's crazy but he's also crazy good.
Really!

First of all, we don't have Chara... so any thoughts of him being as good on Toronto as he was on Boston should be put to rest. Chara is too big of an x-factor to ignore.

Second of all, 39 is the WRONG age to be taking time off from pro sports. Look at Hasek as a semi-recent example of an elite goaltender who couldn't replicate what he once was after returning from an extended break at an advanced age.

Finally, Reims wasn't perfect but he won us a couple games by himself in the playoffs. I'm willing to bank on his continued development and making him a backup to a guy who would likely only be here a year (talk about short signed acquisition.. as if Tim Thomas would guarantee us a ECF appearance) would hurt his development.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Disagree I HATE Berger but you can't be the Leafs beat writer for the FAN for as long as he was and not have sources.
Has he broken any trades in the past then?

I think to be taken seriously, somebody with "inside sources" should at least have a track record of calling trades semi-occasionally.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Has Thomas even been training for the past year? Or has just been sitting around writing mean letters to Obama?

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Lazea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Thomas has plenty of incentive to play well. He has hopes of being picked for the Olympics.
I agree. I think Thomas would be perfect to have for a year. He could also be a mentor to Reimer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I'd be sad if I was Reimer putting up a pretty good playoff performance and then having the team ask about a goalie who won't be playing for more than one year for the team max despite the team being in rebuild mode.
Reimer and Thomas would probably split games. He can learn a lot.

Lazea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
**** Tim Thomas, I'm happy with Reims.
Yeah, we have no need for a Stanley Cup Champion, Veteran goalie, who like Reimer, had an outside chance of becoming an NHL starter. Look how much Thomas hurt Rask's development!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Has Thomas even been training for the past year? Or has just been sitting around writing mean letters to Obama?
If he hasn't been training, he won't pass a physical and he won't get a contract.

Hotlanta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:10 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

The NY Islanders can toll his contract. His rights are the NYI.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
nc

I don't think the question is "would you have reimer or Thomas?" it's "would you have Thomas or scrivens?"

If the leafs are interested in Thomas, imo, it would be to back up reimer not take his place. If anything Thomas would be there to mentor reimer and have his back if or when things go bad.

Last edited by nc: 05-30-2013 at 08:31 PM.
nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:51 PM
The Thin White Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazea View Post
I agree. I think Thomas would be perfect to have for a year. He could also be a mentor to Reimer.

Reimer and Thomas would probably split games. He can learn a lot.
"Ok James, so now you just kinda flop down like this.. and then you kick your leg out. Follow it up with a quick 180 spin and bat the puck out of midair with your elbow. NO, listen you're not slashing the D enough, come on keep up."

The Thin White Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
jughead42

I would love this. Thomas and his wacko political beliefs would not be such a distraction if he played in a Canadian city, nobody here cares. He is the perfect mentor for Reimer the Leafs were looking for and it would perfect. He probably doesnt have a huge price tag and even if he lost it and can no longer compete Scrivens is more than capable as a backup.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:49 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

I think to be taken seriously, somebody with "inside sources" should at least have a track record of calling trades semi-occasionally.
This. Berger wants to stay somewhat relevant.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:11 AM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Reimer could definitely use a veteran backup, so I'm open to bringing in Thomas for one year. Scrivens may have put up pretty decent numbers last year, but overall, was very shakey, and you could tell the entire team was more nervous and mistake-prone when he was in net.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:27 AM
BetterCallSaul
Hire Trotz as nxt HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

he was the first one to say Wilson would be fired and a couple of days later, it happened. He has sources and his rumours should be taken with a grain of salt. he's somewhat reliable and doesn't just make up stuff like eklund.

As for Tim Thomas, I'd love to have him here. It could be similar to a Vokoun/Fleury scenario. If Reims struggles, he's there to stabalize the goaltending. No harm in having him as a backup. I'd rather have Thomas than Scrivens. if Reims gets hurt, I don't want our starting goalie to be scrivens. No faith in him at all.

People should just ignore Thomas' political views and his issues with obama. Everyone has a right to believe in whatever they want. if the media keeps bugging him about it, then it will cause a distraction. It should be fine if these questions about his political beliefs are kept at bay.

BetterCallSaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:50 AM
nmbr_24

This doesn't make any sense to me. Toronto as an up and coming team getting a goaltender who hasn't played in a year and is past the age most players retire at and is a controversial player who's game was starting to go downhill the last time he was playing, I don't know, it sounds like something the Flyers would try.

The Leafs seem like they would be better off sticking with what they have and investing the money they would have to spend on Thomas in another area.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:52 AM
hlaverty06

What the hell is up with everyone?

REimer and Crawford no matter how well they play will ever get credit

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
This. Berger wants to stay somewhat relevant.
I haven't listened to a word from Berger ever since Averygate.

05-31-2013, 06:53 AM
JuniorNelson

Some teams offer several guys tryout contracts, looking for the hidden gem. Thomas would part of a cattle call type audition? Then it makes more sense.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. Toronto as an up and coming team getting a goaltender who hasn't played in a year and is past the age most players retire at and is a controversial player who's game was starting to go downhill the last time he was playing, I don't know, it sounds like something the Flyers would try.

The Leafs seem like they would be better off sticking with what they have and investing the money they would have to spend on Thomas in another area.
It's more to bring in a veteran goalie as a backup. Not to replace Reimer. That's what their intentions were when they tried to acquire Kippersoff. But I agree, Scrivens is a very capable backup. Just go with what they have.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:17 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

No just no..................jeepers Howard what a absolutely thoughtless idea

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:23 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
It's more to bring in a veteran goalie as a backup. Not to replace Reimer. That's what their intentions were when they tried to acquire Kippersoff. But I agree, Scrivens is a very capable backup. Just go with what they have.
With the rumours circulating that Thomas wants to return to the NHL to get in shape for Sochi, why would he want to be a backup?

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Really?

He's crazy but he's also crazy good.
Not anymore. This is not Timmy T that led Boston to a cup on some sensational play. This is Timmy T, who is a lockerroom cancer with his political crap, has not played a single game in over a year and still thinks he will go to the Olympics. For a team like Toronto, who appears on the raise and has a good arsenal of young talent. Thomas is the last thing they need. Not to mention, what message does that send Reimer?

Also obligatory, Canada has too many laws Thomas would disapprove of.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I haven't listened to a word from Berger ever since Averygate.
Me neither, and prior to that I actually respected him and defended him here during Averygate.

He really knows a ton about the Leafs, but I don't care anymore.

I'd definitely take Thomas on the Leafs, but who knows what's going to happen.

Gobias Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:33 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Disagree I HATE Berger but you can't be the Leafs beat writer for the FAN for as long as he was and not have sources.
There's a reason why he is a running joke in almost every hockey circle imaginable.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Petes2424

It doesnt hurt to kick the tires on any player but this might end up a train wreck if the Leafs are serious.. We have out goaltender. If something like Hiller was to pop up, they should at least listen also.. No interest in Thomas from my perspective

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Really!

First of all, we don't have Chara... so any thoughts of him being as good on Toronto as he was on Boston should be put to rest. Chara is too big of an x-factor to ignore.

Second of all, 39 is the WRONG age to be taking time off from pro sports. Look at Hasek as a semi-recent example of an elite goaltender who couldn't replicate what he once was after returning from an extended break at an advanced age.

Finally, Reims wasn't perfect but he won us a couple games by himself in the playoffs. I'm willing to bank on his continued development and making him a backup to a guy who would likely only be here a year (talk about short signed acquisition.. as if Tim Thomas would guarantee us a ECF appearance) would hurt his development.
He still won NHL stanley cup 2007-08 and Czech league champion 09-10. I wouldn't call him fail at all. Sure he wasn't same Hasek as 10 years ago, but he did pretty well. It's normal to fade little bit when you are in your forties.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not anymore. This is not Timmy T that led Boston to a cup on some sensational play. This is Timmy T, who is a lockerroom cancer with his political crap, has not played a single game in over a year and still thinks he will go to the Olympics. For a team like Toronto, who appears on the raise and has a good arsenal of young talent. Thomas is the last thing they need. Not to mention, what message does that send Reimer?

Also obligatory, Canada has too many laws Thomas would disapprove of.
Still he could teach Reimer something. Thomas was amazing goaltender and maybe even still is. We will see how he plays. Thomas would make a great back up goaltender, AT LEAST.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote