HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Tyler Biggs*

vCash: 500
Why was Kunitz invited? If he's not on Crosby's line don't expect him to do much.

Old
07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Tyler Biggs*

Phaneuf>Methot.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:03 AM
6 Karlsson 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam93 View Post
Why was Kunitz invited? If he's not on Crosby's line don't expect him to do much.
my thoughts are the same, he should not be near the team, and if he makes it he would have to be on the first line...

Old
07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
So far I've seen Getzlaf at RW and LW, Perry at LW, Hall at RW, Bergeron at LW and RW, Toews at LW, Carter at LW, Ladd at RW, Staal at RW,...

People, please respect proper positioning, then maybe we can take your roster seriously
I don't know what's wrong with Bergeron at LW / RW, Toews at LW and especially with Carter at RW.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:29 AM
jughead42*

Neal Crosby Stamkos
Tavares Bergeron St Louis
Richards Toews Sharp
Hall Duchene Giroux
Couture

Keith Seabrook
Phaneuf Doughty
Weber Pietrangelo
Subban

Luongo
Crawford
Price

This is my team, young fast and skilled. We're playing on bigger ice and it's time for guys like Duchene, Hall, Subban, Pietrangelo and Couture to step up. The powerplay with Stamkos and Tavares playing the off wing will be spectacular, both of those guys can hammer a cross ice one timer like nobody's business.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:58 AM
HF007
nWo

Hall Crosby Duchene
Tavares Giroux Stamkos
Begeron Toews Richards
Nash Getzalf Perry
Extra: MSL

Keith Seabrook
Weber Doughty
Subban Pieterangelo
Letang

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Last edited by HF007: 07-24-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old
07-24-2013, 02:11 AM
var

Tavares-Crosby-Nash
Stamkos-Giroux-St. Louis
Toews-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Bergeron-Ladd
Couture/Staal

Hamhuis-Subban
Keith-Weber
M Staal-Pietrangelo
Doughty

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Emphasis on LHD + RHD pairings, team chemistry, and favors maintaining natural positions as much as possible. Toews would likely take faceoffs for the third line. Stamkos usually plays the left point on the PP anyways. Toews and Tavares are LH. People slotting in Mike Richards instead of Ladd - it's understandable. But I'd rather have Ladd. Goalies are a mystery and could easily fluctuate.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:53 AM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Because he had the second most points by a Canadian Winger last season and the most by any Left Winger?

Old
07-24-2013, 03:40 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
My prediction for Team Canada's forwards for 2014. I took into consideration the line ups they had in 2010, and what Babcock and Yzerman both have said in 2010 and in the last few days in who there considering and who there looking for. This is what I came up with. I double checked it to make sure I didnt miss any big names, but its Team Canada. Its likely I still missed someone lol

Steve Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Eric Staal (I think Crosby plays best with a guy like Staal on his line, and I think Stamkos and Crosby will be a deadly duo)

Claude Giroux - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash (Nash and Toews played excellent with each other in 2010. No Richards, but I think Giroux is a great replacement in many ways)

Jeff Carter - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry (Add that size, and down low cycle game. Perry is a shoe in and Getzlaf should be right by his side. Carter was not an easy decision)

John Tavares - Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis (St. Louis is always being underrated, you want speed for Socchi, you got it. A line that of huge versatility and possibility)

13th & 14th: Taylor Hall , Chris Kunitz/Jordan Staal
(The team already looks well diverse in age, roles and positions. Hall brings in a bit more well rounded player. Kunitz or Staal can make my list as the 14th forward. Kunitz has had a scoring touch as of late and he has the most experience with Crosby, it be nice to give him that in the Olympics. Staal also has experience with Crosby but not as much, but I do like Staal's chemistry with his brother(s) and his overall size and play).

My Biggest Snubs-
Lucic. Plays out of his mind and hes a guy I hate but would love on my team. In the NHL though. In Socchi, I am not so sure how his style of play will translate. Maybe too aggressive, maybe to much to handle.

Marchand- Quick and fast and probably a lethal weapon on big ice. I just think there are a few guys who are as quick and fast but who are smarter and who are better. A few.

Richards- Almost didnt make it for 2010, but proved he belonged there. I dont think he does well enough in the NHL this year to say hey, i belong here again... They have plenty of replacements both young and old.
This one isn't bad.
But i believe St.Louis will get the snub.
Hall will be in the mix. Richards as well.
The guys with great shots who are percieved to be on the outside looking in are Neal and Couture imo. Large guys with skill who can skate on the big ice.

I could actually see Nash getting the snub for 1 of Neal/Couture.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Tyler Biggs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Because he had the second most points by a Canadian Winger last season and the most by any Left Winger?
Kunitz claim to fame is playing on Crosby's wing.

Old
07-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Spectrefire

That Richards-Toews-Nash shutdown line played amazing hockey during the gold medal game. I can see Babcock considering reuniting them for Sochi. It's all about chemistry right?

Old
07-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Spectrefire

Staal-Crosby-Tavares
Giroux-Stamkos-St.Louis
Richards-Toews-Begeron
Perry-Getzlaf-Ladd

Two top tier scoring lines, an elite shutdown line, and a very big and grindy energy line.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:03 AM
True Hockey Fan

I'm just curious, but isn't that exactly what we all want, a player who can play with Crosby and has a chemistry with ? If Kunitz is on a point-per-game peace or more in Decemeber, I will strongly consider him. He skates well and his defensive game seems to be underrated here. I can imagine he could play even the 4th line with Bergeron and whoever. I wouldn't really be worry.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:47 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
I'm just curious, but isn't that exactly what we all want, a player who can play with Crosby and has a chemistry with ? If Kunitz is on a point-per-game peace or more in Decemeber, I will strongly consider him. He skates well and his defensive game seems to be underrated here. I can imagine he could play even the 4th line with Bergeron and whoever. I wouldn't really be worry.
I have nothing against Kunitz, he's a really good hockey player, but my presumption is that Crosby can play with pretty much anyone. He's rotated through numerous wingers in his career so far - some of them good, some of them bad - and he still manages to produce and create scoring chances at an elite level. I believe he'd quickly find chemistry with just about anyone he's lined up with.

Old
07-24-2013, 08:06 AM
86Habs

Moving centers over to the wing is generally fine, so long as they're playing their "correct" wing and, more importantly, their game is suitable to the wing. Eric Staal @ LW is a good example, Giroux @ RW is another (Giroux also played RW early in his career). Tavares has played LW before, internationally. Unless they've demonstrated an ability to move to the off-wing however, the coaching staff shouldn't attempt that IMO. Playing the off-wing is an underrated and difficult skill, which is why guys like St. Louis, a LHed RW, are a rarity, though Nash and Sharp have a history of playing either wing.

I'm not sure if playmaking centers like Getzlaf and Thornton are really adaptable to the wing; they have no history of playing there, and as puck distributors the main reason for them being on the team would be hindered.

And as far as natural wingers are concerned, I wouldn't want to move them to the off-wing either unless they're clearly able to play there.

Old
07-24-2013, 08:56 AM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Phaneuf>Methot.
No. Just no.

Maybe considering offense, but for this tournament, no. Canada won't need his offense, and he'll be way down the depth chart if they need an offensive defenseman. In the 6/7 role, Methot is more valuable because he is better defensively, and by a good margin.

Quote:
I don't know what's wrong with Bergeron at LW / RW, Toews at LW and especially with Carter at RW.
Bergeron and Toews are great at faceoffs. Absolutely destructive. They're not playing the wing. This coming from a guy who thinks faceoffs are overrated. They're also Selke winners from the centre position.

It's gonna be

Crosby
XXXXX
Toews
Bergeron

Book it.

Carter is pretty much exclusively RW at this point. Dunno why you said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I have nothing against Kunitz, he's a really good hockey player, but my presumption is that Crosby can play with pretty much anyone. He's rotated through numerous wingers in his career so far - some of them good, some of them bad - and he still manages to produce and create scoring chances at an elite level. I believe he'd quickly find chemistry with just about anyone he's lined up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Moving centers over to the wing is generally fine, so long as they're playing their "correct" wing and, more importantly, their game is suitable to the wing. Eric Staal @ LW is a good example, Giroux @ RW is another (Giroux also played RW early in his career). Tavares has played LW before, internationally. Unless they've demonstrated an ability to move to the off-wing however, the coaching staff shouldn't attempt that IMO. Playing the off-wing is an underrated and difficult skill, which is why guys like St. Louis, a LHed RW, are a rarity, though Nash and Sharp have a history of playing either wing.

I'm not sure if playmaking centers like Getzlaf and Thornton are really adaptable to the wing; they have no history of playing there, and as puck distributors the main reason for them being on the team would be hindered.

And as far as natural wingers are concerned, I wouldn't want to move them to the off-wing either unless they're clearly able to play there.
This

Old
07-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvintheChoster View Post
I didn't realize that goals solely decided who is the better player.. I guess Jeff Carter is a better player than Marty St. Louis.
Except St.louis has averaged 32 goals/season over the past 9 full seasons... Carter has passed that mark only 3 times in his career, bad example.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:23 AM
wej20

Quote:
I think Kunitz has a decent chance if he comes flying out of the blocks like he did in the abbreviated season. Like you said he's versatile enough to play any role and is a natural winger.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:28 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Bergeron and Toews are great at faceoffs. Absolutely destructive. They're not playing the wing. This coming from a guy who thinks faceoffs are overrated. They're also Selke winners from the centre position.

It's gonna be

Crosby
XXXXX
Toews
Bergeron

Book it.
I don't see any issue with Bergeron playing wing, either on Crosby's line or on Toews's line, for a few reasons:

- Wingers can take faceoffs. Bergeron is RHed, Crosby and Toews are both LHed. Every faceoff taker has a better winning % on their strong side than on their weak side. For each of these three, who are all dominant at faceoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if their winning % on their strong side is over 70%. By having Bergeron on the ice with either Crosby or Toews, our chance of winning the faceoff and gaining puck possession (critical to Babcock's coaching strategy) is probably over 70%, versus 55-60% if only one of them are out there.

- By having Toews and Bergeron center separate lines, we'll have two defensive-oriented / 2-way lines. My personal preference is that we balance out the lines a bit better, and have a defensive element on each line instead of Canada's typical 2+1+1 approach. Again, personal preference.

- Bergeron on Toews's wing would form a tremendous defensive tandem, at ES and on the PK. Any of Sharp, Richards, Nash could slot in at LW. I don't think this is controversial.

- Bergeron on Crosby's wing (with, say, Tavares at LW - that's not important) would allow Crosby + Tavares to focus primarily on creating offense and scoring chances, with Bergeron acting as the defensive cover in all three zones. Bergeron is great at winning puck battles along the boards and in the corners too (so is Crosby), all three members of this line have an extremely high hockey IQ so positionally they'd work it out, and Crosby is at his best when he has a defensively-responsible winger line up next to him (ie, Pascal Dupuis). Bergeron is no slouch offensively, either.

- We're much deeper at center and LW than at RW. By converting Bergeron over to the wing, we create a spot for another elite center (say, Getzlaf or Thornton) or if not Getzlaf, Hall or maybe Couture who might otherwise be left off the team. In my mind the only Olympic-quality RWers we have are St. Louis, Carter, and Eberle (if he's better next season). Giroux is an obvious candidate to move over, and Bergeron too in my mind. Perry doesn't skate nearly well enough and lacks the discipline to play on this team, IMO, and he's coming off a down year. Sharp and Nash can always move over if necessary, as they both play either wing.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I can't think of a good reason Hall shouldn't be on the team. He'd actaully be my choice for flanking Crosby. Then put Giroux or Stamkos on his right side. That'd be my top line.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Toews has played center his entire life. He was and is the #1 center for a Stanley Cup winning team. He played center in 2010 winning Gold, where he was the tournaments best forward and i think even the MVP.

What is wrong with him not playing center? Many people are calling him the #1 center for Canada. And Nash should be his winger, the two had a great Olympics in 2010. Nash played well with Crosby but the chemistry was just there with Toews. Richards helped too but I would love to see Giroux at the wing on that line. He will replace Richards on that line. Perfect replacement if you ask me. When Flyers bought out Richards they knew what they were getting in Giroux, a younger, possibly better, and more potential player. He was an elite bottom 6 player, a great role player, and he proved he can also be an elite top 6 player. One of the best in the league and he has experience on the wing. LW to be specific I think.

He can grind like Richards and how that line will expect him too. And he can playmake and snipe better than Richards ever could. Faster too for this big ice. Nice to also have a secondary center on that line.

Possibly my favorite line so far in this tourny.
Next to the thoughts of Crosby playing with Stamkos and Staal. and maybe mix in Tavares to see chemistry

Old
07-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I can't think of a good reason Hall shouldn't be on the team. He'd actaully be my choice for flanking Crosby. Then put Giroux or Stamkos on his right side. That'd be my top line.
Cant think of a good reason? Well, maybe inexperience? Young.
I can see a guy like Jeff Carter not being on the team and himstead but I like that Carter is more diverse and has been known to improve team's possession. Carter also has more chemistry and experience with this roster.

I do like Hall though, and I do like him being on the top line with Crosby. But I think there are too many guys better, more diverse and more experienced.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Ok, well I'll rephrase then -- I can't think of a legitimate reason

Old
07-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
This one isn't bad.
But i believe St.Louis will get the snub.
Hall will be in the mix. Richards as well.
The guys with great shots who are percieved to be on the outside looking in are Neal and Couture imo. Large guys with skill who can skate on the big ice.

I could actually see Nash getting the snub for 1 of Neal/Couture.
babcock does not have short term memory.
He remembers as we all should how great the Toews, Richards and Nash line was. The thing with Richards is he seems to be playing less minutes every year, less effective as well. He still is in my consideration but by next year I dont see him making it.

I can see Giroux taking over his space on the team and the line

Old
07-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Kunitz – Crosby – Stamkos
Bergeron – Staal – Giroux
Hall – Getzlaf – Perry
Richards – Toews – Nash

Doughty – Weber
Keith – Pietrangelo
Letang – Hamhuis
Seabrook

I basically took the 2010 team and made a few substitutions (Pronger, Niedermayer, Thornton, Iginla, Marleau and Morrow).

Closed Thread