HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Getzlaf will be there, assuming he doesn't have a horrible start. He's hardly a slow player, and the game he brings is definitely something Canada will want.

08-01-2013, 05:48 AM
Davebo*
BeepBeep!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Some of you guys don't seem to have a lot of faith in Getzlaf. Dude was on pace for 90 this year and he brings size, grit, and defense that I can't see Canada passing up
Defence especially. I recall during the 2005 WJHC he was played as a defenceman for a brief stretch during a game - I forget the exact circumstances. Team Canada likes returning players - I think he'll make the team.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Getzlaf is a beast, for some reason when he is on his game i get some Lindros wibes going. Not as dominant but still very much so.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:57 PM
that is unfortunate
woops

Tavares - Crosby (A) - Giroux
Toews (C) - Stamkos - St. Louis (A)
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
Nash - E. Staal - Bergeron
Sharp, Richards

Doughty - Weber (A)
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Subban
Letang

Price
Luongo
Ward

Old
08-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by iane View Post
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp, Richards

Doughty - Weber (A)
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Subban
Letang

Price
Luongo
Ward
I think it would make more sense to put Stamkos on the wing and keep Toews in the middle. Same with with Bergeron and Staal.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:28 PM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iane View Post
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp, Richards

Doughty - Weber (A)
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Subban
Letang

Price
Luongo
Ward
Seabrook for Bouwmeester, Luongo for Holtby, Ward for Crawford and Perry for Couture. Then completely start over on the lines.

Not bad though, except for the goalies.

Tavares - Crosby - Bergeron
St. Louis - Giroux - Stamkos
Hall - Getzlaf - Couture
Staal - Toews - Nash
Richards - Sharp

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Subban - Letang
Bouwmeester

Price
Crawford
Holtby

I wanted to put Couture at centre and Giroux on his RW, but unfortunately I don't see Getzlaf meshing with Stamkos and St. Louis
Better to have Giroux there

Hall - Couture - Giroux would have been badass though

Eberle is the ultimate dark horse.

Old
08-02-2013, 04:24 AM
xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Seabrook for Bouwmeester, Luongo for Holtby, Ward for Crawford and Perry for Couture. Then completely start over on the lines.

Not bad though, except for the goalies.

Hall - Getzlaf - Couture
Staal - Toews - Nash
Richards - Sharp

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Subban - Letang
Bouwmeester

Price
Crawford
Holtby

I wanted to put Couture at centre and Giroux on his RW, but unfortunately I don't see Getzlaf meshing with Stamkos and St. Louis
Better to have Giroux there

Hall - Couture - Giroux would have been badass though

Getzlaf brings a lot of missing physicality to that line. I wouldn't put two great playmakers together. When you have Crosby on 1st line, St. Louis on 2nd line, and Giroux on 3rd line, you have elite playmaker on each line. And that's cool.

Old
08-02-2013, 04:37 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
His suspension was served even though he wasn't named to the team? I was under the impression he had to be named to the team in order for that to count. Super, learn something new everyday. but makes little difference to me anyway, I'm not a Getzlaf fan and would rather he not be included on the Olympic team...
I guess the problem with counting suspensions only if a player is on the roster is that teams could pass on a borderline player because he's suspended for two or three games and he would never serve them. That could turn a short suspension into a lifetime ban.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I guess the problem with counting suspensions only if a player is on the roster is that teams could pass on a borderline player because he's suspended for two or three games and he would never serve them. That could turn a short suspension into a lifetime ban.
I see your point and there is some logic in that, but you can institute some kind of statue of limitations rule whereby that "lifetime ban" as you call it would be mitigated. If a player under suspension hasn't been named to a his NT for 2 consecutive IIHF tournaments, either World Championships or Olympics, then the suspension will be deemed as having been served. and the borderline marginal player is thus free again to answer the call to represent his country...

but sure, I'll accept the IIHF's interpretation here on this one, it makes some sense. I just assumed that the IIHF (given my utter disdain for that organization) would take the hardline approach to suspensions.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:36 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Hall - Getzlaf - Couture
Staal - Toews - Nash
Richards - Sharp

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Subban - Letang
Bouwmeester

Price
Crawford
Holtby

Weren't you the one who was vehemently opposed, like last week, to playing Bergeron up on RW on Crosby's line?

Old
08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
hockeywoot

Stamkos Crosby MSL ........not typical L1,L2,L3,L4. Ranked in terms of ice time. Bergeron and Toews+ mins to troll other teams top players
Hall Toews Giroux
Staal Bergeron Couture
Tavares Getzlaf Perry
Richards

Pietrangelo Weber
Keith Doughty
Subban Letang
Hamhuis

Price
Ward
Luongo

Old
08-02-2013, 03:54 PM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Weren't you the one who was vehemently opposed, like last week, to playing Bergeron up on RW on Crosby's line?
One week is ages ago :p

OK so I've warmed up to Getzlaf being on the team... I just think he's a better option than a guy like Duchene even on big ice. So that's a guy that needs to play centre.

The main reason is I like Toews as the shutdown centre. His line will be the primary defensive line. So Bergeron isn't necessary to play that role. Toews is there. 1 defensive line + 3 scoring lines is cool. It worked in 2010.

If you have Bergeron as a centre, I think you pretty much 'have to' make his line a defensive/energy line. That means most likely picking worse wingers to fill that role than you otherwise would to fill a scoring line.

Also, what you said about Bergeron being the defensive conscience and letting Crosby and Tavares roam free and concentrate on offense is... pretty appealing to say the least.

Old
08-02-2013, 04:23 PM
BCShark

so no one pretty much thinks thornton should be on the team. i find that interesting

Old
08-02-2013, 05:08 PM
xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
so no one pretty much thinks thornton should be on the team. i find that interesting
It's too hard find a space for him.

Thornton's assets are very good faceoffs, solid defensive and 2-way game, great passing, and experience. I guess he could be there, but...how would you mix it? Crosby, Tavares, Giroux, St. Louis, Bergeron, Toews and Stamkos are absolute locks. Getzlaf, E.Staal and Rick Nash are near-locks. That's 10 players. Then you have a whole team you can choose from. Couture, Duchene, Perry, Marchand, J.Staal, Sharp, M.Richards, Neal, Kunitz, Carter, Thornton, Ladd, Hall...and maybe Benn.

Tavares - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Getzlaf - St. Louis
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
E.Staal - Thornton - Bergeron
13th: M.Richards
14th: Carter

PK: Bergeron - Toews ; Sharp - M.Richards ; Thornton - E.Staal
PP: Tavares - Crosby - Nash ; Stamkos - Giroux - St. Louis ; E.Staal - Thornton / Getzlaf - Nash

It's not like we're going to lose because of Thornton, but now, I'd probably prefer a different roster. But 'Jumbo' is in no way a bad player for the olympics. Imagine him as a Russian or a Swede / an Amerian. He'd play at olympics for sure for those countries.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
J1mLahey

Tavares - Crosby(C) - Neal
Stamkos - Giroux - E.Staal
Richards - Toews(A) - Nash
Perry - Getzlaf - Carter
Bergeron

Doughty - Weber(A)
Pietrangelo - Keith
Letang - Hamhuis
Subban

Luongo - Feeling is they start with Luongo and have him on a short leash (see 2002/2010) when they went to CuJo and Brodeur to start and later replaced by Brodeur/Loungo.
Price
Crawford (but personally like Ward, was upsetting to not see him get an invite)

Last edited by J1mLahey: 08-02-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added (A) to Weber
Old
08-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Alberta tough

vCash: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1mLahey View Post
Tavares - Crosby(C) - Neal
Stamkos - Giroux - E.Staal
Richards - Toews(A) - Nash
Perry - Getzlaf - Carter
Bergeron

Doughty - Weber(A)
Pietrangelo - Keith
Letang - Hamhuis
Subban

Luongo - Feeling is they start with Luongo and have him on a short leash (see 2002/2010) when they went to CuJo and Brodeur to start and later replaced by Brodeur/Loungo.
Price
Crawford (but personally like Ward, was upsetting to not see him get an invite)

Why play so many guys on their wrong side?

Old
08-02-2013, 09:44 PM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Getzlaf brings a lot of missing physicality to that line. I wouldn't put two great playmakers together. When you have Crosby on 1st line, St. Louis on 2nd line, and Giroux on 3rd line, you have elite playmaker on each line. And that's cool.
Getzlaf is more like an ultimate grinder. Plays well down low and along the boards. Stamkos is more of a transition/rushing player.

But I guess on big ice and without Perry, Getzlaf could adapt.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
J1mLahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Why play so many guys on their wrong side?
My mistake, didn't really aim for perfect line combinations (side wise) just discussing who I thought would make the team. I also think Eberle is a darkhorse in this whole process due to his history with Hockey Canada and especially the rivalry with Russia (World Jrs 09). Shocked to see Evander Kane & Jamie Benn get snubbed, but if I'm not mistaken Iginla wasn't invited to camp in 02 and made the team so only time will tell. Last point, I think Subban is a great defenceman but lets hope for the sake of the team if he makes it Yzerman ensures hes leaving his ego at home.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:20 PM
WhiteLight*

Brent Burns is also an interesting player with his ability to play anywhere in the lineup

Old
08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
J1mLahey

Quote:
Brent Burns is also an interesting player with his ability to play anywhere in the lineup
Especially if Thornton makes the team. I'm having a tough time finding space for Jumbo Joe though with Crosby, Giroux, Toews, Getzlaf, Bergeron needing to play in the middle. As well as natural C's playing the wing: Stamkos, Tavares etc

Old
08-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Pens Junky

Tavares-Crosby-Nash
St.Louis-Giroux-Stamkos
E.Staal-Toews-Perry
Couture-Bergeron-Marchand
Getzlaf

Doughty-Weber
Letang-Pietrangelo
Keith-Seabrook
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford

We have so many centres... Hard to fit everyone in.

Old
08-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Getzlaf is more like an ultimate grinder. Plays well down low and along the boards. Stamkos is more of a transition/rushing player.

But I guess on big ice and without Perry, Getzlaf could adapt.
That makes me wonder how much you've seen of Getzlaf. He brings elite talent to the table. His power game just adds to it.

Old
08-04-2013, 10:09 AM
JackSlater

Got the opportunity to see a few of the Olympic hopefuls scrimmaging in Halifax this week. Crosby and Tavares unsurprisingly looked very good together, and even though it wasn't a serious hockey environment it got me pumped for the Olympics. Their unit with Marchand for three on three drills was insanely good. Duchene and Spezza were more than solid as well.

Old
08-04-2013, 10:51 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Got the opportunity to see a few of the Olympic hopefuls scrimmaging in Halifax this week. Crosby and Tavares unsurprisingly looked very good together, and even though it wasn't a serious hockey environment it got me pumped for the Olympics. Their unit with Marchand for three on three drills was insanely good. Duchene and Spezza were more than solid as well.
Crosby, Tavares, and Marchand - that's interesting combination. Who was the RW on that line?

Old
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Crosby, Tavares, and Marchand - that's interesting combination. Who was the RW on that line?
Tavares, though from time to time he switched with Marchand. Tavares eventually went to another group to make things a bit more balanced.

It will be interesting to see which side Tavares lines up on at the Olympics, which of course assumes that he will not be centering his own line. I remember that he played some LW at the Spengler.

Closed Thread