HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tyler Myers for Jake Gardiner

Old
05-31-2013, 02:18 AM
Cleatus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Tyler Myers for Jake Gardiner

Very basic trade; Tyler Myers for Jake Gardiner. I'd also be open to either team adding smaller pieces to even things out.

Myers has been struggling for a few seasons now, but I firmly believe he has potential to be the perfect defenseman to pair with Phaneuf (another one of our old reclamation projects).

Jake did really well in his rookie year and these past playoffs, but overall, is still fairy unproven. To say the least, if this trade was done, it'd be incredibly interesting to see how these players do on each of their new teams.

P.S.

I already know Buffalo fans are gonna ask for Kadri and three 1st rounders along with Gardiner, and Leaf fans are gonna' complain about how overpaid and washed up Myers is. Anyone care to surprise me in this regard?

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:21 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll just say no.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:48 AM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
What else comes with Gardiner?

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Are impact players ever traded within a division?

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:58 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

I don't mind trading Myers, but I'm not a fan of Gardiner. (not saying Gardiner is bad, just not a fan)

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:00 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Very basic trade; Tyler Myers for Jake Gardiner. I'd also be open to either team adding smaller pieces to even things out.

Myers has been struggling for a few seasons now, but I firmly believe he has potential to be the perfect defenseman to pair with Phaneuf (another one of our old reclamation projects).

Jake did really well in his rookie year and these past playoffs, but overall, is still fairy unproven. To say the least, if this trade was done, it'd be incredibly interesting to see how these players do on each of their new teams.

P.S.

I already know Buffalo fans are gonna ask for Kadri and three 1st rounders along with Gardiner, and Leaf fans are gonna' complain about how overpaid and washed up Myers is. Anyone care to surprise me in this regard?
I wouldn't do the deal as proposed due to yhe cap hit difference BUT he is one of the few guys I'd include our 1st for

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:05 AM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
What else comes with Gardiner?
In addition to Gardiner, I'd actually be open to adding our 1st this year (21st overall), or Matt Frattin and a random prospect with potential (like Matt Finn).

Would be interested in hearing what kind of player(s) Buffalo fans think they could use in addition to Gardiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Are impact players ever traded within a division?
Most recent one I can think of is Kessel to the Leafs. Besides Seguin struggling in the playoffs, it seems like a trade that's working out tremendously for both teams.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:09 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I don't know about this one. I just don't know. Surprisingly, I'm not going to be quick to just saying no without giving it some thought.

Some people want Myers gone. They believe he won't ever play as well as his rookie season and that his contract will quickly become one of the worst in the NHL. If they're right, we're stuck with him or amnesty him at some point. However, I believe we can't afford to trade him away, much less to a division rival, which could be a complete shot in the foot if he goes and finds his game there. Then we're stuck playing against him however many times a year.

I still think I'd give him a chance. Most defensemen don't peak until their mid-to-late twenties. He's got all the tools to succeed and has shown what he can do in the past. I want to give him a full year under Rolston and see what he can do. That may be the best thing for him. I think trading him could potentially be disastrous and a dumb mistake right now.

That said, for those who think he'll never get back to where he should be, they take this and run. A much cheaper player who has a lot of potential in Gardiner, while getting rid of Myers' contract altogether. It's something to consider, but again, what happens if he goes to Toronto (or anywhere for that matter) and dominates? I don't want to give up on him so fast. He has all the tools and such a rare skill set and size that I can't take the chance on trading him this early. Give him more time. We could be thanking ourselves as soon as next season if we do. Value may be good, even including Toronto's first but Myers' potential alone makes me steer clear of dealing him anywhere at this point, especially to Toronto. Be patient with him and good things may happen.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:41 AM
oilinblood

From an outsiders perspective i think its a fairly good trade. Myers contract is cringe worthy but when he actually played well he had a better overall game than Gardiner. I guess the cap hits, money paid out, get played into the equation pretty heavily. You have one guy who if he finds his game is close to being worth his huge contract (before the market falls down this summer) and is the better player, or you have the more one dimensional player who is more simplistic and will always be a lower cap hit.
Id be surprised, if Myers was traded, if Buff would do any better than Gardiner + 2nd or equal value prospect. Garbage contract/

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:23 AM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I don't know about this one. I just don't know. Surprisingly, I'm not going to be quick to just saying no without giving it some thought.

Some people want Myers gone. They believe he won't ever play as well as his rookie season and that his contract will quickly become one of the worst in the NHL. If they're right, we're stuck with him or amnesty him at some point. However, I believe we can't afford to trade him away, much less to a division rival, which could be a complete shot in the foot if he goes and finds his game there. Then we're stuck playing against him however many times a year.

I still think I'd give him a chance. Most defensemen don't peak until their mid-to-late twenties. He's got all the tools to succeed and has shown what he can do in the past. I want to give him a full year under Rolston and see what he can do. That may be the best thing for him. I think trading him could potentially be disastrous and a dumb mistake right now.

That said, for those who think he'll never get back to where he should be, they take this and run. A much cheaper player who has a lot of potential in Gardiner, while getting rid of Myers' contract altogether. It's something to consider, but again, what happens if he goes to Toronto (or anywhere for that matter) and dominates? I don't want to give up on him so fast. He has all the tools and such a rare skill set and size that I can't take the chance on trading him this early. Give him more time. We could be thanking ourselves as soon as next season if we do. Value may be good, even including Toronto's first but Myers' potential alone makes me steer clear of dealing him anywhere at this point, especially to Toronto. Be patient with him and good things may happen.
Good post, but the Leafs would also have to worry about the exact same things, e.g. what if Myers doesn't live up to potential here, and Gardiner becomes the next Brian Campbell in Buffalo?

Old
05-31-2013, 06:42 AM
tsujimoto74

And no. Value aside, has Regier ever traded a player even half as good as Myers within the division?

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 05-31-2013 at 06:48 AM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:04 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Depends what the + coming with Gardiner is.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

I'd make this trade as long as Buffalo threw in their 2nd in this draft

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:12 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I'd make this trade as long as Buffalo threw in their 2nd in this draft
We're not adding **** to this deal, good try.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:15 AM
broc

Tyler Myers on a good contract has good worth. Myers on an awful contract had much less worth.if Gardiner picks up where he left off with his play in the post season, he will be worth more by himself than Myers is.

The guy who said he'd trade Gardiner, the 21st overall,Frattin/Matt Finn for Myers... are you mike Milbury? Cuz that is one of the god awfullest things I've heard.

broc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:17 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc View Post
Tyler Myers on a good contract has good worth. Myers on an awful contract had much less worth.if Gardiner picks up where he left off with his play in the post season, he will be worth more by himself than Myers is.

The guy who said he'd trade Gardiner, the 21st overall,Frattin/Matt Finn for Myers... are you mike Milbury? Cuz that is one of the god awfullest things I've heard.
Why would Buffalo sell low on Tyler Myers? Why?

Old
05-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Not exactly selling low in this case. Gardiner is looking like a pretty damn good player, but the Leafs have too many left-handed d-men, and could really use a right-handed one to compliment Phaneuf (more than we need a #1 center in my opinion). We also have Rielly coming along, which would basically be our future replacement for what Gardiner brings to the table (epic puck-moving).

Old
05-31-2013, 08:27 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc View Post

I kinda chuckled and the inanity of it myself

Quote:
c'mon you're a slug fan aren't you? ...you must have seen his play this year, dude was uber shell-shocked, highly immobile and grossly ineffective, not just here and there but all year,

Once Gardiner shook out the cob-webs from his concussion and gained some confidence back he picked up right where he left off as a member of the NHL all-rookie team

Gardiner is bona-fide for sure, Myers is merely suspect at the moment

there is no way that Nonis pulls the trigger on any deal involving Gardiner unless it's a move the propels the Leafs forward

why would any GM in the league give up what looks like a sure thing for a guy looking like he doesn't have the skating ability to play in the league

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:34 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:

c'mon you're a slug fan aren't you? ...you must have seen his play this year, dude was uber shell-shocked, highly immobile and grossly ineffective, not just here and there but all year,

Once Gardiner shook out the cob-webs from his concussion and gained some confidence back he picked up right where he left off as a member of the NHL all-rookie team

there is no way that Nonis pulls the trigger on any deal involving Gardiner unless it's a move the propels the Leafs forward

why would any GM in the league give up what looks like a sure thing for a guy looking like he doesn't have the skating ability to play in the league
Why are you even commenting on someone's game when you know nothing about it? Skating is not even close to one of Myers' issues. He lacked hockey IQ this year and would shy away from physical contact. He would only try to use his stick to gain an advantage of an opponent instead of using his body. His game began to turn around significantly, and then he broke that bone in his leg which ended his season which was a shame.

I don't go around spitting nonsense about Leaf players, you should learn to do the same.

Also, "Gardiner is bona-fide for sure, Myers is merely suspect at the moment" - take off the goggles.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:35 AM
mokspeed

I like the value to be honest - it's a simple hockey trade. Shutdown defenceman for PMD.

That being said, it won't happen purely because we're in the same division. It goes back to how if we were running the Monster and Scrivens, Buffalo still wouldn't trade us Miller for 5x 1st round picks.

mokspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:45 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
for fear of selling even lower, or not being able to... Myers was a project pick who developed much better than anyone expected, and played much better than expected.

He looked like a star in the making, but, there are tons of players who live off their rookie season success and never surpass it again.

It could just be the $$ that messed up his head, and he'll grow up and become really good again, or, just continue to struggle.

It is likely more mental than ability, as skill doesnt vanish, but, a bad head can kill skill.

Luongo cannot get traded and he's playing at a very high level, and his cap hit is less than Myers.

I dont think Myers will be mentioned with Gomez, but, Gomez was quite good, (number one center material) until he got that big contract, then...

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:49 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
If Tyler Myers bounces back, he's a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and his contract is a bargain. A good Tyler Myers can do it all. Even if he never bounces back, his contract is bad, but not crippling. Jake Gardiner has upside, but it's one dimensional. I'd rather take my chances with Myers.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:

Oh he picked up from the all rookie team? Cool accomplishment. Ill match the all rookie team and raise you something way better.

When Gardiner puts up 48 points in a season, help his goalie win a Vezina or prove to be a #1 dman longer then a 50 game stretch then you can compare him to Myers. Myers has had 1 bad season, 1 average season and 2 great ones. He's been good more often then not and is by far worth more then Gardiner. No deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg‎ (50.9 KB, 14 views)

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:58 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Oh he picked up from the all rookie team? Cool accomplishment. Ill match the all rookie team and raise you something way better.

When Gardiner puts up 48 points in a season, help his goalie win a Vezina or prove to be a #1 dman longer then a 50 game stretch then you can compare him to Myers. Myers has had 1 bad season, 1 average season and 2 great ones. He's been good more often then not and is by far worth more then Gardiner. No deal.
Good one Layne

Old
05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Mr Sakich

Gardiner is rfa this year, ufa next year. A long term deal would have to be signed in order for this deal to make sense.

Not sure how much Gardiner is looking for but he could hit a home run in free agency next year.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote