HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tyler Myers for Jake Gardiner

Old
05-31-2013, 02:20 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Gardiner is rfa this year, ufa next year. A long term deal would have to be signed in order for this deal to make sense.

Not sure how much Gardiner is looking for but he could hit a home run in free agency next year.
he's UFA next year he's 22 he's nowhere NEAR UFA

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:22 PM
TylerSVT*

Myers >> Gardiner.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
Gardiner has tremendous speed and skill. Anyone who watched the first round would know that. The concussion set him back for a few months, but he seems to have recovered to his play from the 2011-2012 season.

No thanks on Myers; he seems to have peaked early like Schenn did and may not be worth the hype. All three can play top-four, but, and I'll take some flack for this probably, Gardiner has the best chance of living up to that top-two potential, in my opinion.
Myers already HAS played up to his top 2 potential. He was playing up to it before Gardiner was an NHLer.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:24 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

I rather have Toronto keep Gardiner because of his speed and skill. Now with the exception of Myers rookie season hasn't he not been the same since then? If you ask me it's almost like what happened with Luke Schenn and we all know Toronto eventually traded him.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:47 PM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I rather have Toronto keep Gardiner because of his speed and skill. Now with the exception of Myers rookie season hasn't he not been the same since then? If you ask me it's almost like what happened with Luke Schenn and we all know Toronto eventually traded him.
Lol No, its not like Schenn. Schenn did not have a 48pt calder season and show he was a legit #1 D. Myers has, but has not played well down the stretch. You don't trade a player of Myers' ilk, because if he turns it around, we'd be kicking ourselves for years.

This thread is hilarious, Gardiner is nowhere close to Myers in terms of current skill or potential. Solid no from Buffalo, unless JVR is coming with Jake. I wouldn't trade him for anything short of a big overpayment because his potential is worth that.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Paradoc
Mitch Marner :)

vCash: 80
Leafs say no. Gardiner has played very well against in the playoffs and I wouldn't trade him for Myers who's had a terrible season this year.

Paradoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:50 PM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
Leafs say no. Gardiner has played very well against in the playoffs and I wouldn't trade him for Myers who's had a terrible season this year.
One good playoff series, one bad season.... Okay.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:04 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Yeah, easy no from a Sabres POV.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Myers already HAS played up to his top 2 potential. He was playing up to it before Gardiner was an NHLer.
Yes, and he's regressed tremendously by all accounts. A lot of players have one big year in their careers and then disappear. Cam Barker once scored 40 points in 68 games. Jason Blake had a 40-goal season. Everyone knows about Jonathan Cheechoo.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
One player is trending up and one is trending down. Gardiner was great in the 2011-12 season; it's not just one playoff series.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:16 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
The same thing can be said about Myers. He had one great rookie season and won the Calder Trophy. However I don't think he has been the same since then and maybe it has to do with the contract he signed, so he feels more preasure.

Now Gardiner might not have had a great regular season, however don't forget in December 2012 he got a concussion while playing with the Marlies during the lockout and still wasn't back to 100% when he returned to the NHL. So that was the reason he was sent back to the AHL and in the playoffs with the Leafs he played like he did during his rookie season, when he made the All Rookie Team.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:36 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Myers is better. A bad season but he's shown what he can be and I can't believe he peaked as a teenager.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Gardiner needs to be locked up long term, he was playing amazing in the Boston series.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:08 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
The same thing can be said about Myers. He had one great rookie season and won the Calder Trophy. However I don't think he has been the same since then and maybe it has to do with the contract he signed, so he feels more preasure.

Now Gardiner might not have had a great regular season, however don't forget in December 2012 he got a concussion while playing with the Marlies during the lockout and still wasn't back to 100% when he returned to the NHL. So that was the reason he was sent back to the AHL and in the playoffs with the Leafs he played like he did during his rookie season, when he made the All Rookie Team.
The second half of Myers' second season was just as good, if not better than his rookie season. The best hockey he's played professionally (in my opinion) was in the playoff series against the Flyers that year. The consistency hasn't been there since but he's been better than most who don't watch him every game give him credit for. His upside is just too high for the Sabres to swap him for Gardiner straight up. If Leafs fans say no because they don't want to take the chance Myers can put it together consistently, that's a reasonable standpoint to take.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Unless Gardiner can get a good enough defensive game to be an all-situations #1 defenseman who can match up against top players (you know, the thing Myers has already done twice), he has no value to a Sabres team with Christian Ehrhoff locked up for the next eternity.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Dr Quincy

Here's the problem as I see it:

Gardiner was really pumped up here a LOT by Leafs fans last spring and summer, to the point where he really became incredibly overrated. Then, for whatever reason, he really didn't get much of a chance in Toronto, proving to the naysayers that it was just typical Leafs fan hype.

Then, Gardiner looked REALLY good in the playoffs against Boston, to the point where the guy went from one of the most overrated prospects on HF to one of the more underrated.

No, I don't think Buffalo does this, but I think it's actually a fairly close value deal, that will get all sorts of criticism because it's a guy we've seen offered, compared, commented on, pumped up and polled all over the place over the least 12 months.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
If Tyler Myers bounces back, he's a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and his contract is a bargain. A good Tyler Myers can do it all. Even if he never bounces back, his contract is bad, but not crippling. Jake Gardiner has upside, but it's one dimensional. I'd rather take my chances with Myers.
Ryan Suter
Zedeno Chara
Shea Weber
Alex Pietrangelo
OEL

Who does Myers bounce because without using much thought those are the top 5 D I can currently think of and I don't see him out preforming any of those. That being Said Myers can be a top 15 D man if he is on his game but with two down years currently.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Ryan Suter
Zedeno Chara
Shea Weber
Alex Pietrangelo
OEL

Who does Myers bounce because without using much thought those are the top 5 D I can currently think of and I don't see him out preforming any of those. That being Said Myers can be a top 15 D man if he is on his game but with two down years currently.

Chara....he is gettng old.

Also remember OEL and Pietr are entering their second contracts hat wil be high salary next year o I think at least one of them will come under pressure to perform under the money.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Oh he picked up from the all rookie team? Cool accomplishment. Ill match the all rookie team and raise you something way better.

When Gardiner puts up 48 points in a season, help his goalie win a Vezina or prove to be a #1 dman longer then a 50 game stretch then you can compare him to Myers. Myers has had 1 bad season, 1 average season and 2 great ones. He's been good more often then not and is by far worth more then Gardiner. No deal.
"Want to talk rings? I've got 6 of them" ... Kevin Lowe wold be proud of this rant.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:00 PM
kihei

vCash: 3115
Patience is required with both players, but after seeing Gardiner in the playoffs, I'd rather take my chances with Jake as I think that he could potentially be a force to be reckoned with.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Drew311
Bringer of Rain

Not interested in a gamble like Myers. A fourth year slump is extremely troubling and we don't yet know how good Gardiner will be. This deal has the potential to be terrible for the Leafs. Only a centre comes back if Gardiner is moved.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Not interested in a gamble like Myers. A fourth year slump is extremely troubling and we don't yet know how good Gardiner will be. This deal has the potential to be terrible for the Leafs. Only a centre comes back if Gardiner is moved.
Totally Agree.

No way Gardiner is being shopped for another D-man, our back end is already tied up.

We need a #1 Centre more than a #2 to pair with Dion, even though Gunnarsson has been doing a good job (if he's healthy, I think he'll do)

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Drew311
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Here's the problem as I see it:

Gardiner was really pumped up here a LOT by Leafs fans last spring and summer, to the point where he really became incredibly overrated. Then, for whatever reason, he really didn't get much of a chance in Toronto, proving to the naysayers that it was just typical Leafs fan hype.

Then, Gardiner looked REALLY good in the playoffs against Boston, to the point where the guy went from one of the most overrated prospects on HF to one of the more underrated.

No, I don't think Buffalo does this, but I think it's actually a fairly close value deal, that will get all sorts of criticism because it's a guy we've seen offered, compared, commented on, pumped up and polled all over the place over the least 12 months.
Gardiner's situation isn't as complicated as you think. He was fantastic in his rookie year, arguably the Leafs best defenseman. So yes, deservedly he was extremely coveted by Leafs fans. Why wouldn't he be? You make it seem like Leafs fans aren't allowed to have talented prospects. Gardiner is a first round pick and has excelled at every level he's played, why wouldnt he be hyped? If he was on your team I guarantee you would deem him close to untouchable.

So moving on to his second season. Gardiner was again fantastic during the lockout, that is until he suffered a concussion which took him off the ice completely for roughly three weeks. Makes sense that he was a bit rusty and timid once the NHL season started, right?

So he struggled during the NHL season as he was sent up and down between the Leafs and Marlies and got spot duty when he did get NHL time. Carlyle finally gave Gardiner his shot in the playoffs, mostly because he didn't have any other choice, and he didn't disappoint.

So there really isn't much to worry about from a Leafs fans perspective about Gardiner's potential, if he's able to stay healthy that is. I personally wouldn't trade him for Myers straight up because I have major doubts about Myers and his confidence issues. Gardiner's potential is sky high and he isn't even close to hitting it, so IMO it would be a terrible idea to trade him away for a struggling player like Myers at this point in time.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:57 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Totally Agree.

No way Gardiner is being shopped for another D-man, our back end is already tied up.

We need a #1 Centre more than a #2 to pair with Dion, even though Gunnarsson has been doing a good job (if he's healthy, I think he'll do)
Even if it weren't for the excess risk (the fact Myers is extended till 2018-2019 with a 5.5m cap hit despite being extremely underwhelming the last couple of years), it'd be detrimental to give up on Gardiner when his value is likely only going to get higher from here.

The analogy I gave was another player on our team who had a concussion, struggled, came back and played amazing in the playoffs and subsequently got traded and had a great year (JVR).

While we could use a defensive stalwart at our back-end to pair with Phaneuf, allowing Gunnarson to slip down to the second pairing, we also value the dynamic that Gardiner provides when he is on his game, which is near elite skating ability- skating the puck out of traffic/danger, carrying the puck out of the zone, or making the first pass. Only person on the leafs that was able to do that in our back-end consistently against the sustained pressure of Boston was Gardiner. I don't think it's any secret why leaf fans love Gardiner, despite his upside, he's a thrill to watch with his skating ability.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
If Tyler Myers bounces back, he's a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and his contract is a bargain. A good Tyler Myers can do it all. Even if he never bounces back, his contract is bad, but not crippling. Jake Gardiner has upside, but it's one dimensional. I'd rather take my chances with Myers.
Lol no. Myers is not a top-5 defenseman in the league if he bounces back. Never was, never will be.

And he would suck in Toronto.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote