HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL 2013-2014 Season

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2013, 06:39 AM
HawksFanForever

vCash: 500
Coaching 101

I am wondering why they do not make it mandatory for people who are going to Coach to take courses to help equip themselves with some tools to work with.I have seen coaches in many levels that should not be a coach.If you are not a people person or love people then how are you going to interact with these players three to five nights a week and even more.I believe all these Coaches should have to take a two to three hour course every winter to upgrade the tools they have to coach or the tools that they will need to coach.What do you all think of this.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Jackbenimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
I am wondering why they do not make it mandatory for people who are going to Coach to take courses to help equip themselves with some tools to work with.I have seen coaches in many levels that should not be a coach.If you are not a people person or love people then how are you going to interact with these players three to five nights a week and even more.I believe all these Coaches should have to take a two to three hour course every winter to upgrade the tools they have to coach or the tools that they will need to coach.What do you all think of this.
Where is this coming from? I've been involved with hockey at all levels from initiation to junior A both in Ontario and in Manitoba. By far and I mean by FAR the majority of coaches are EXACTLY that - people persons and most upgrade their credentials willingly. There are always bad apples in every walk of life but to make a statement like that seems like you are trying to smear all coaches in the EOJHL.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:29 AM
HawksFanForever

Sorry but that is not what I am doing and I too have seen and been around great coaching But have also seen too often Coaches yelling at kids and then see a Coach keep a goalie in after he has been bombarded and how does this help a player's confidence any.I love all Coaches but thin that everyone that coaches should always try to take courses that will help.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:46 AM
valleydude

Quote:
I think that you are going to see some of both. Clearly, anyone who rises through the ranks of Minor Hockey but aspires to Jr. will be highly trained. He would likely have been a AAA coach at some point which means he has Dev II and likely High Performance.

I think that category you are describing are the other guys. They buy a team so that they or a buddy can coach and I agree with you, some have no business doing that but hey, it's their money and they have a lineup of kids who will play for them regardless of how bad they are.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:58 AM
hurricane11

The majority of coaches in the league are qualified to handle the situations that present themselves. Junior B in my opinion has to be one of the harder levels to coach. In Jr A all the players are trying to move on via scholarships or Major Junior and are committed whereas in Jr B you have players that just want to finish out competitive hockey and you have young players that want to move on to Jr A, you also have players in University some who travel back home to play out their Junior careers. So for some players in Jr B one practice isn't enough and others a practice is too much which has to be hard on a coach to plan around.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
The majority of coaches in the league are qualified to handle the situations that present themselves. Junior B in my opinion has to be one of the harder levels to coach. In Jr A all the players are trying to move on via scholarships or Major Junior and are committed whereas in Jr B you have players that just want to finish out competitive hockey and you have young players that want to move on to Jr A, you also have players in University some who travel back home to play out their Junior careers. So for some players in Jr B one practice isn't enough and others a practice is too much which has to be hard on a coach to plan around.
Could not have said it better.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Jackbenimble

Agreed!

Old
09-20-2013, 07:15 PM
keon1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbenimble View Post
Agreed!
by and large we have had gr8 coaching in this league,i have seen instances where a team has been outcoached,but mostly you have to say the coaches are pretty darn good.once upon a time athens struggled in this area,and after some painstaking decisions,made the move to bring in what can only be described as one of the best decisions they ever made.the last 2 years roger cauley coached were some of the best coaching this league has seen.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon1967 View Post
by and large we have had gr8 coaching in this league,i have seen instances where a team has been outcoached,but mostly you have to say the coaches are pretty darn good.once upon a time athens struggled in this area,and after some painstaking decisions,made the move to bring in what can only be described as one of the best decisions they ever made.the last 2 years roger cauley coached were some of the best coaching this league has seen.
I think the big thing in Athens were the players they had. Not a lot of coaching needs to be done when you have an older group like they did

Old
09-20-2013, 08:18 PM
keon1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
I think the big thing in Athens were the players they had. Not a lot of coaching needs to be done when you have an older group like they did
got to get over the hump,need gr8 coaching 4 that.still a gr8 coach needs his horses.athens brass finds it year after year.just when you think,what will they do without,nathan slack,steve parker,danny lacroix,to name a few.they go out and find more.why?winning breeds success.players want to play where they have a good shot of winning and are treated well.players talk.athens always been good to there players.at least in the last many years.

Old
09-21-2013, 12:41 AM
OnlytheCH
HockeyTimes

Winchester continues to impress me, even with a bunch of new faces.

Last edited by OnlytheCH: 02-18-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old
09-21-2013, 08:58 AM
HawksFanForever

Hawks Win

Hawks won 6-3 last night over Akwesasne Wolves.I had to ask someone on facebook so I am not sure why it was not being updated on the EOJHL last night.Hawks are off to a nice start with allot of new faces and many from Major Midget which is so very nice to see.They have a good core returning from last year and it is a good mix.Still early though but these games mean so much now as you play allot in your own division at the start of the season.What is up with Perth and Metcalfe in the west.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:02 AM
HawksFanForever

50/50 at Winchester Arena

50/50 Ticket Winners
Draw Date Winner's Name Prize Amount
September 13, 2013 Wendy Carkner $2,200.00

Old
09-21-2013, 09:55 AM
hurricane11

[QUOTE=Rangersfan21;71351615]I think the big thing in Athens were the players they had. Not a lot of coaching needs to be done when you have an older group like they did[/QU

Sometimes its harder to coach veteran player's as they have difficulty accepting roles. Roger is a great coach and he's a major reason for the Aeros success last season.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:59 AM
HawksFanForever

agree

I agree with what you said about coaching older players.They can be set in their own ways and can make it difficult to coach them even for a great coach.Look at the Dallas Cowboys lol lol

Old
09-21-2013, 01:08 PM
HawksFanForever

I got a Question for all of you

Does anyone know what it cost to play in the EOJHL what I am saying what does it cost a team to play in this league.

Old
09-21-2013, 01:52 PM
pucksly

Quote:
Hawks won 6-3 last night over Akwesasne Wolves.I had to ask someone on facebook so I am not sure why it was not being updated on the EOJHL last night.Hawks are off to a nice start with allot of new faces and many from Major Midget which is so very nice to see.They have a good core returning from last year and it is a good mix.Still early though but these games mean so much now as you play allot in your own division at the start of the season.What is up with Perth and Metcalfe in the west.
Perth has a new head coach (Colin Glen). It's a rebuilding year with a couple of troublesome players. I will bet that Mr. Glen will turn that ship around before long. He is a godd coach who demands respect and accountability from his players.
Metcalfe, on the other hand, has had a mass exodus of veteran players who were unhappy with the coaching. They have been forced to simply quit as Metcalfe has a reputation of being beyond difficult to deal with regarding trades (some teams won't even deal with them). That is why they now have such a young and inexperienced team. I don't see them improving or attracting any quality players unless they make some major changes to the organization.

Old
09-21-2013, 01:53 PM
HawksFanForever

Yes you are correct and I have said this before that they have had some bad dealings with other clubs.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:06 PM
HawksFanForever

Winchester Hawks win 6-3

Well it is nice to see the Winchester Hawks off to a 4-0 start to the new season.Beat Alexandria 6-3 tonight.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:38 PM
keon1967

Quote:
Well it is nice to see the Winchester Hawks off to a 4-0 start to the new season.Beat Alexandria 6-3 tonight.
yes,they are well run.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:44 AM
HawksFanForever

Casselman beats Charlan

Hard to believe that Casselman went into Charlan and beat them that easily.Charlan has allot of returning players and I know it is still early but these are games you need to win now as these are divisional games and are considered four pointers.So far it looks like Casselman and Winchester are the best two teams in this Division after four games though as we all know it is still early.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:46 PM
FavoriteFlyersFan
Rookie User

Prescott Flyers deserved that win last night! What great coaching from head coach! He is totally turning that team around and will have a great season! Luck tonight boys.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Wizwog

Clarence really exposed OTTW lack of team defence. Knights either need a 3rd man high or a top 2 D.
Lots of firepower from the big 3 in RSL division. Again I think its going to come down to who's got the better depth on the defensive side.
Anybody know Paul Landry's situation in Winchester? or where he is playing maybe?

Old
09-22-2013, 05:15 PM
HawksFanForever

have not seen his name on the score sheet

Old
09-22-2013, 05:50 PM
PK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizwog View Post
Clarence really exposed OTTW lack of team defence. Knights either need a 3rd man high or a top 2 D.
Lots of firepower from the big 3 in RSL division. Again I think its going to come down to who's got the better depth on the defensive side.
Anybody know Paul Landry's situation in Winchester? or where he is playing maybe?
Is Mike Milito injured haven't played a game? OWGK only list 6 D are they using F as a D. Maybe not be a D problem may need a #1 goalie!

Closed Thread