HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

EOJHL 2013-2014 Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
  #476
pucksly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Well these stats do not lie do they
All those stats show is that Casselman is the best team in the St Lawrence Division. Their stats would be way lower if they played in the Metro Division.
Generally the best local players stay in the city to play and those that don't make a Metro team are forced to travel to the other divisions to play. Of course there are exceptions to this but I don't think too many players would choose to travel over an hour each way for practices and games if they didn't have to.
This is why the Metro division is stronger. IMO only of course.

pucksly is offline  
Old
10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
  #477
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat
 
connor macdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 400
Pucksly is 200% correct. The Metro Division is the strongest, mainly because players don't want to travel more than 45 minutes for home games and practices.

While it wasn't evidenced at the showcase, I'm pretty sure that 4/5 Metro Division teams could beat anyone in the RSL over the course of a seven-game series.

Casselman is good no doubt, but you can't say the St. Lawrence division is the strongest, when you've got an underachieving Akwesasne team and a joke of a Morrisburg team both under .200 winning percentage. I think Casselman and Winchester would be hard-pressed to make the playoffs in the Metro.

connor macdavid is offline  
Old
10-21-2013, 09:03 PM
  #478
2pp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
Pucksly is 200% correct. The Metro Division is the strongest, mainly because players don't want to travel more than 45 minutes for home games and practices.

While it wasn't evidenced at the showcase, I'm pretty sure that 4/5 Metro Division teams could beat anyone in the RSL over the course of a seven-game series.

Casselman is good no doubt, but you can't say the St. Lawrence division is the strongest, when you've got an underachieving Akwesasne team and a joke of a Morrisburg team both under .200 winning percentage. I think Casselman and Winchester would be hard-pressed to make the playoffs in the Metro.
Ok DemonsonIce96, I agree with most of your reply but to say that Casselman and possibly Winchester would have trouble making the Metro playoffs with teams like Metcalfe and a very underachieving Gatineau team this year, I think you might be tipping your cap a little towards your biased thoughts on the Metro division. Casselman is one of the best run associations in all of Jr. B hockey......period. I don't think most kids mind the drive out to Casselman to play for a franchise like the Vikings but they don't have to look too far anyway because they attract pretty good local talent.


Last edited by 2pp: 10-21-2013 at 09:11 PM.
2pp is offline  
Old
10-21-2013, 10:01 PM
  #479
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pp View Post
Ok DemonsonIce96, I agree with most of your reply but to say that Casselman and possibly Winchester would have trouble making the Metro playoffs with teams like Metcalfe and a very underachieving Gatineau team this year, I think you might be tipping your cap a little towards your biased thoughts on the Metro division. Casselman is one of the best run associations in all of Jr. B hockey......period. I don't think most kids mind the drive out to Casselman to play for a franchise like the Vikings but they don't have to look too far anyway because they attract pretty good local talent.
Thank you so much for this post and I guess they think the city has all the good players which is not true at ALL.I know of many JR A players that have played in Winchester and they come as far away as the USA and Toronto area so I do not think that Winchester and Casselman have to much trouble getting players to play for these two teams.

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
  #480
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Thank you so much for this post and I guess they think the city has all the good players which is not true at ALL.I know of many JR A players that have played in Winchester and they come as far away as the USA and Toronto area so I do not think that Winchester and Casselman have to much trouble getting players to play for these two teams.
A lot of these guys Winchester gets are courtesy of Peter Goulet in Nepean. They have some sort of farm system thing going for them.

gusfring is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 07:13 AM
  #481
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucksly View Post
All those stats show is that Casselman is the best team in the St Lawrence Division. Their stats would be way lower if they played in the Metro Division.
Generally the best local players stay in the city to play and those that don't make a Metro team are forced to travel to the other divisions to play. Of course there are exceptions to this but I don't think too many players would choose to travel over an hour each way for practices and games if they didn't have to.
This is why the Metro division is stronger. IMO only of course.
I would agree with your point that the Metro division typically is the a little stronger with a little more overall depth and I would say the toughest division to win a playoff championship out of.
The teams that are close to the city typically have a territorial advantage to get players form Universities, connections with Jr.A teams as well as a much deeper 12 man protected list.
Teams like West and South would have 12 guys that typically would have graduated midget that have played AAA or at least AA where some teams in the Valley or RSL are protecting Midget B Rep players a lot. Just the way that it is.
Stittsville has that advantage in the Valley but for some reason have rarely taken advantage of it.
Since 1998 the Metro division has been crowned EOJHL champions 11 times, Valley has not won, St.Lawrence 4 times including 3 of the last 7 and the Rideau Division once, the only time in that division's history.
While the Metro is the deepest division there typically is a team or 2 in the other divisions that are very even to the best teams in the Metro division which usually makes for an interesting Valley/Metro or EOJHL final but the overall depth in the Metro division is usually the best in the EOJHL, not every year but for the most part as history has shown.

Jeff077 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 07:51 AM
  #482
Rangersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Thank you so much for this post and I guess they think the city has all the good players which is not true at ALL.I know of many JR A players that have played in Winchester and they come as far away as the USA and Toronto area so I do not think that Winchester and Casselman have to much trouble getting players to play for these two teams.
How many years ago did a RSL team win the Jr.B championship?

Obviously they do not have ALL the 'good' players. But they do have the majority of them. The biggest difference is depth

Rangersfan21 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 07:52 AM
  #483
2pp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
I would agree with your point that the Metro division typically is the a little stronger with a little more overall depth and I would say the toughest division to win a playoff championship out of.
The teams that are close to the city typically have a territorial advantage to get players form Universities, connections with Jr.A teams as well as a much deeper 12 man protected list.
Teams like West and South would have 12 guys that typically would have graduated midget that have played AAA or at least AA where some teams in the Valley or RSL are protecting Midget B Rep players a lot. Just the way that it is.
Stittsville has that advantage in the Valley but for some reason have rarely taken advantage of it.
Since 1998 the Metro division has been crowned EOJHL champions 11 times, Valley has not won, St.Lawrence 4 times including 3 of the last 7 and the Rideau Division once, the only time in that division's history.
While the Metro is the deepest division there typically is a team or 2 in the other divisions that are very even to the best teams in the Metro division which usually makes for an interesting Valley/Metro or EOJHL final but the overall depth in the Metro division is usually the best in the EOJHL, not every year but for the most part as history has shown.
Great analysis Jeff077. Looks like you did your homework before sending out your reply. I couldn't agree with you more with regards to one or possibly two teams coming out of the other divisions to challenge the Metro teams.

One reason that Stittsville can't seem to attract the good quality players like South and West is because the owner charges way too much for the kids to play. Another reason is because he puts his nose into too much of the everyday activities of the team. He should let his GM take care of the players and the players transactions. It's become well known how the owner runs the team and some kids just don't want to play there.

2pp is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 08:14 AM
  #484
KL14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Stittsville

I think there will be ownership change real soon, and it will be for the better

KL14 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  #485
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
How many years ago did a RSL team win the Jr.B championship?

Obviously they do not have ALL the 'good' players. But they do have the majority of them. The biggest difference is depth
2011/12 season, Casselman.

Jeff077 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
  #486
hurricane11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
I say Casselman, Winchester, Brockville and Char- Lan could make the playoffs in the Metro. The Metro teams have an easier time recruiting players with colleges and Universities in their back yard and the fact that teams spend up to $5k to land a player is a big advantage over the rideau-stlawerence.

The overall playing experience is probably better in the rideau- st lawerence because of how involved the small communities are with their hometown teams

hurricane11 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
  #487
pucksly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
2011/12 season, Casselman.
Jeff you have really come through this year with your indepth research and reporting on a variety of Jr B hockey topics. Thanks man! Keep up the good work. Very hard to argue with your stats and analysis of the game.

pucksly is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 01:09 PM
  #488
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
I think there will be ownership change real soon, and it will be for the better
Interesting rumour, and since the owners son has moved on to US College not a bad rumour.

What would a Jr B franchise be worth ? Who would be buying. With Hamish Fraser just signed as the GM, would he be in the market to buy a team ?

It might help the sale if they can win a few games...

valleydude is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  #489
KL14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Stittsville

There is no reason why a properly ran franchise in Stittsville could compete with OW and OJC in terms of attracting the University and College kids and there are more than enough players in Kanata and Stittsville to bring a truly local team to the community. Trick will be to get the advertising dollars like OJC does or run a successful beer garden like OW does. I also think the Sunday afternoon home games does not work....with an extra ice surface perhaps the JRB team should be moving to Friday nights home games...just a thought..there is a lot of competition, but every Jr B in Ottawa face the same pressures

KL14 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:10 PM
  #490
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
There is no reason why a properly ran franchise in Stittsville could compete with OW and OJC in terms of attracting the University and College kids and there are more than enough players in Kanata and Stittsville to bring a truly local team to the community. Trick will be to get the advertising dollars like OJC does or run a successful beer garden like OW does. I also think the Sunday afternoon home games does not work....with an extra ice surface perhaps the JRB team should be moving to Friday nights home games...just a thought..there is a lot of competition, but every Jr B in Ottawa face the same pressures
Yep, all good ideas. The GRC is a very "sterile" rink. They would have done better at the Stittsville Arena (barn) if the City had upgraded the dressing rooms a few years back when they upgraded the rink.

valleydude is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:35 PM
  #491
LETSPLAY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
The biggest thing holding back that franchise is how it has been run - from charging high fees, to having poor management, to the owner interfering with the few good coaches they had - from the "past" it has had a bad reputation and most local players do their best to try and play elsewhere, even if that means more travel. New GM/coach may be better now and be able to improve that reputation going forward.

LETSPLAY is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 07:05 PM
  #492
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat
 
connor macdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 400
There's no doubt the actual on-ice experience is much better atmosphere-wise for players in the RSL. City teams like OW and OJC (even Stittsville) struggle to get more than 50 fans out. However I think the community factor is balanced by the commute for players out to RSL teams.


Re: Stittsville- The Royals have been all over the place the past two seasons, with out-of-the-blue coaching changes, a massive overhaul of players, and a lot of new faces. I did some of their games last season and I have to agree that the Sunday afternoon gametime does hurt them, although judging by the 67s and Kanata Stallions' attendance I don't think there is much of a junior hockey crowd to be had in that part of the city.


Last edited by connor macdavid: 10-22-2013 at 07:11 PM.
connor macdavid is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 01:20 PM
  #493
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
JR B Hockey Clubs

The only way to make it in JR A or JR B Hockey franchises is to have either a great Sponsor or Community and from what I have seen it is far better to have the whole community involved.Winchester does really well raising money from their 50/50 and so many teams in JR B and JR A could not figure out how they were making all this money.It is through getting the whole community involved with the team and they feel allot more of the team this way.I know for a fact that there are JR A clubs in the Ottawa area that do not do well attracting fans and hurt in the money area also.I was told that a JR B franchise can go for as much as 250.000.00 and was also told from a great source that is can cost 83 thousand to run a JR B hockey club.

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 01:47 PM
  #494
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
The only way to make it in JR A or JR B Hockey franchises is to have either a great Sponsor or Community and from what I have seen it is far better to have the whole community involved.Winchester does really well raising money from their 50/50 and so many teams in JR B and JR A could not figure out how they were making all this money.It is through getting the whole community involved with the team and they feel allot more of the team this way.I know for a fact that there are JR A clubs in the Ottawa area that do not do well attracting fans and hurt in the money area also.I was told that a JR B franchise can go for as much as 250.000.00 and was also told from a great source that is can cost 83 thousand to run a JR B hockey club.
250K for a JR.B franchise? Not even a remote possibility would you get that for a team in the EOJHL!
If you were getting an expansion team a franchise fee would be in the 25K range, maybe a little more now, but the league is maxed at 22 right now.
I have heard of teams selling in the 60-90K range but cannot say for a fact the exact dollar amount.
Depending on the teams with travel, equipment, ice etc. I would say it would cost between 50-90K a season to run a Jr.B team. The 83k would certainly be realistic.

Jeff077 is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 04:18 PM
  #495
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
Thanks

Thanks Jeff for that reply and this is what a gentleman had told me that some teaone had paid for a JR B

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 04:32 PM
  #496
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat
 
connor macdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 400
Very intriguing matchup tonight at the Barbara Ann Scott Arena as the high-flying OW Golden Knights host the Renfrew Timberwolves, a young team that looks as though they'll be in the thick of the Valley Division playoff race this year.

Listen LIVE (and post-game to the recording if you so desire) to the game here:

http://www.spreaker.com/user/ottsportsbrdgrp

connor macdavid is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 10:42 AM
  #497
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
250K for a JR.B franchise? Not even a remote possibility would you get that for a team in the EOJHL!
If you were getting an expansion team a franchise fee would be in the 25K range, maybe a little more now, but the league is maxed at 22 right now.
I have heard of teams selling in the 60-90K range but cannot say for a fact the exact dollar amount.
Depending on the teams with travel, equipment, ice etc. I would say it would cost between 50-90K a season to run a Jr.B team. The 83k would certainly be realistic.
When the Stallions were being looked at by a group two years ago the price was $200K and the budget was around $275K/year.

It did not sell at the price so who knows what it just sold for recently.

valleydude is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:06 PM
  #498
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
When the Stallions were being looked at by a group two years ago the price was $200K and the budget was around $275K/year.

It did not sell at the price so who knows what it just sold for recently.
Buying a Jr.A team is significantly more than purchasing a Jr.B franchise.
Not sure if you were trying to compare the leagues or misread what was being discussed.

Jeff077 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:29 PM
  #499
Rangersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
Buying a Jr.A team is significantly more than purchasing a Jr.B franchise.
Not sure if you were trying to compare the leagues or misread what was being discussed.
I have heard from multiple teams that a Jr.B budget is between 70 and 90k per season. I have also heard of being able to purchase Jr.B teams for closer to 45k.

Winchester is not worth even 100k.

What Winchester does with their 50/50 is actually illegal if they sell tickets at a store during the week. You are suppose to only sell 50/50 tickets at the games.

Rangersfan21 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:40 PM
  #500
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
I have heard from multiple teams that a Jr.B budget is between 70 and 90k per season. I have also heard of being able to purchase Jr.B teams for closer to 45k.

Winchester is not worth even 100k.

What Winchester does with their 50/50 is actually illegal if they sell tickets at a store during the week. You are suppose to only sell 50/50 tickets at the games.
I would say 70-90K is closer to the norm now but there are still some that would be in the 50-70k range.

Buying a Jr.B team price is all over the map. I have heard as low as 12K or paying off debts, and "rumours" of a couple in the 75-90K range. 45K is would probably be the asking price for the majority of teams

Jeff077 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.