HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL 2013-2014 Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  #501
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
I would say 70-90K is closer to the norm now but there are still some that would be in the 50-70k range.

Buying a Jr.B team price is all over the map. I have heard as low as 12K or paying off debts, and "rumours" of a couple in the 75-90K range. 45K is would probably be the asking price for the majority of teams
Hard to imagine paying for a business that has perpetual losses, not much chance for a turn around either.

That being said, the recent pay to play model in the CCHL just made 9 money losing businesses profitable.

valleydude is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:56 PM
  #502
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Illegal

Not sure whey there are many people who Hate Winchester but I seen it,heard it and witnessed it first hand.You cannot buy players either but teams do this allot.You cannot pay players either but teams do this allot also.So do not complain when I mentioned about the 50/50 and yes they sell them at the arena as well and these volunteers work so hard for this hockey club.

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:05 PM
  #503
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
Hard to imagine paying for a business that has perpetual losses, not much chance for a turn around either.

That being said, the recent pay to play model in the CCHL just made 9 money losing businesses profitable.
Would not be my investment either.

Jeff077 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 10:33 PM
  #504
Rangersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Not sure whey there are many people who Hate Winchester but I seen it,heard it and witnessed it first hand.You cannot buy players either but teams do this allot.You cannot pay players either but teams do this allot also.So do not complain when I mentioned about the 50/50 and yes they sell them at the arena as well and these volunteers work so hard for this hockey club.
Nobody hates Winchester...I do not think anyone would argue that they are one of the most well run jr.b franchises. But there is a big difference between paying a player to play and running an 'illegal lottery'.

Rangersfan21 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:36 AM
  #505
Jackbenimble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
I would say 70-90K is closer to the norm now but there are still some that would be in the 50-70k range.

Buying a Jr.B team price is all over the map. I have heard as low as 12K or paying off debts, and "rumours" of a couple in the 75-90K range. 45K is would probably be the asking price for the majority of teams
You are right again Jeff. The Prescott Flyers were sold to the current owner for $1.00. He had to assume all or any debit and was not to ask the previous owners for any future financial help.

$50-$80k is the asking / selling price and the budget would be around $65-$80k a year. There are lots of factors to consider:
- Metro pays more for ice and has fewer fans, however, they can also get more BIG corporate dollars
- Valley/RSL pay less for ice, have more fans but have less BIG corporate choices

Of course there are always exceptions. Casselman has deep pockets, Winchester (legal or not and I suspect it is very legal) gets huge money from their 50/50. Athens / Westport work hard to get sponsor dollars. Arnprior has had lean years as had Stittsville and Renfrew. Shawville and Gananoque need permission every year to play in the EOJHL so who would risk buying them?

All of the above factor into the purchase price of a Jr. B franchise but just like Jr. A they are not purchased for their financial viability rather a purchase from the heart. Or if daddy wants a place for his son to play.

Jackbenimble is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 11:53 AM
  #506
Taoiseach
Moderator
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbenimble View Post
Shawville and Gananoque need permission every year to play in the EOJHL so who would risk buying them?
What's up with that?

Taoiseach is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 12:26 PM
  #507
Bockwinkel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
What's up with that?
Because Shawville, Gatineau and Gananoque are not part of the ODHA district each year they must apply for admission into the EOJHL and be approved by both their local governing body and the ODHA.

Bockwinkel is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 01:03 PM
  #508
Taoiseach
Moderator
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockwinkel View Post
Because Shawville, Gatineau and Gananoque are not part of the ODHA district each year they must apply for admission into the EOJHL and be approved by both their local governing body and the ODHA.
That seems absurd. Why can't they they hammer out a standing agreement?

Taoiseach is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 01:05 PM
  #509
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
So you are saying it is leagal to Pay a player to play in the EOJHL

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 01:07 PM
  #510
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbenimble View Post
You are right again Jeff. The Prescott Flyers were sold to the current owner for $1.00. He had to assume all or any debit and was not to ask the previous owners for any future financial help.

$50-$80k is the asking / selling price and the budget would be around $65-$80k a year. There are lots of factors to consider:
- Metro pays more for ice and has fewer fans, however, they can also get more BIG corporate dollars
- Valley/RSL pay less for ice, have more fans but have less BIG corporate choices

Of course there are always exceptions. Casselman has deep pockets, Winchester (legal or not and I suspect it is very legal) gets huge money from their 50/50. Athens / Westport work hard to get sponsor dollars. Arnprior has had lean years as had Stittsville and Renfrew. Shawville and Gananoque need permission every year to play in the EOJHL so who would risk buying them?

All of the above factor into the purchase price of a Jr. B franchise but just like Jr. A they are not purchased for their financial viability rather a purchase from the heart. Or if daddy wants a place for his son to play.
Thank you so much for this quote and you are right on the money and what Winchester does with the 50/50 is very legal

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 01:09 PM
  #511
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
So you are saying it is leagal to Pay a player to play in the EOJHL
I don't see how it would be "illegal". The only folks who might care would be NCAA.

ottawafan66 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 02:00 PM
  #512
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Thank you again for this post

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 02:01 PM
  #513
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Me tinks maybe Rangerfan has an axe to grind lol lol

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 02:02 PM
  #514
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Winchester beats Wesport now and have a great looking record along with Casselman.

Casselman Vikings 13 12 0 1 0 25 .962
Winchester Hawks 12 10 1 0 1 21 .875

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 02:03 PM
  #515
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Here is my early pick for MVP of the year in his Conference.
T.Widenmaier CSV 13 19 12 31 6

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 09:38 PM
  #516
Matrix20027
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
50/50

Winchester has alot of people in the area that help out with the 50/50 good for them how many teams would love to have that kind of help. I must say winchester is not one of may favorite teams but they do have something that works.
Casselman pays its players that is not right. Before you jump on this one think back to the first year Casselman was in the league 1 st year in the league and they finish 1 point out of first. How can that be done easy MONEY. I have talked to alot of people in the junior b league ( owners, players,coaches and parents ) and all I can say is most of the people don't care about the kids.

Matrix20027 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 10:03 PM
  #517
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Looks like the St Lawerence is have its way with the Ridea division this year

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 10:23 PM
  #518
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Casselman Vikings 13 12 0 1 0 25 .962
Winchester Hawks 13 11 1 0 1 23 .885
Char-Lan Rebels 12 9 3 0 0 18 .750
Alexandria Glens 11 5 2 3 1 14 .636
Akwesasne Wolves 10 3 6 1 0 7 .350
Morrisburg Lions 13 1 11 0 1 3 .115

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 10:39 PM
  #519
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Thank you very much and yes it helps to have allot of volunteers helping you in any sport that they young men and women play in.

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 12:00 PM
  #520
Rangersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix20027 View Post
Winchester has alot of people in the area that help out with the 50/50 good for them how many teams would love to have that kind of help. I must say winchester is not one of may favorite teams but they do have something that works.
Casselman pays its players that is not right. Before you jump on this one think back to the first year Casselman was in the league 1 st year in the league and they finish 1 point out of first. How can that be done easy MONEY. I have talked to alot of people in the junior b league ( owners, players,coaches and parents ) and all I can say is most of the people don't care about the kids.
Why wouldnt you pay your players if you were able to? To make money you need to have more fans, to get fans you need to win games. Players like to go where the money is

Rangersfan21 is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 12:51 PM
  #521
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
But it is ILLEGAL to pay players in JR B Hockey that is why lol lol

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 01:30 PM
  #522
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
But it is ILLEGAL to pay players in JR B Hockey that is why lol lol
Says WHO?

ottawafan66 is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 03:02 PM
  #523
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Write to the EOJHL and ask them and see what answer you get back

HawksFanForever is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  #524
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Write to the EOJHL and ask them and see what answer you get back
Whatever. Posters need to realize that just because they post something, that doesn't make it true. Kind of like Winchester's 50/50 is ILLEGAL!!

ottawafan66 is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  #525
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Whatever. Posters need to realize that just because they post something, that doesn't make it true. Kind of like Winchester's 50/50 is ILLEGAL!!
But it is, I read it here !!

It could be illegal to pay players if that was written in their constitution. I have never found that document on line, so who knows..

valleydude is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.