*OFFICIAL* North Bay Battalion 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 12:39 AM
battfan888

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Bacon View Post
So pumped for tonight's home opener! As a fan from North Bay, I'd like to extend my appreciation to the Brampton fans, specifically battfan888 for their insight on the team and for keeping the board active. Also, not too many people from North Bay on HF I take it lol.
Thanks Jesus,
I'm just trying to get the North Bay folk up to speed on the at least recent history of their new team.

I had a great trip to North Bay on Friday, I was barely out of the cab in front of the arena before getting interviewed by a reporter and then being welcomed by the Mayor Al McDonald which was kinda cool I must admit.
The game itself was horrible but it was fun to be a part of history and be at the first game in North Bay though a small part of my heart was breaking. While they had been the North Bay Battalion for 9 previous games already they looked exactly the same as Brampton, playing in rinks I had seen Brampton play in live and on tv. But being at a brand new rink (as far as not having seen it before) and it being the new Battalion home rink its all when it really hit me.

I was somewhat disapointed with the crowd however, was expecting a lot more noise. They made a ton during the pre game videos and the one time the Troops scored but other than that they sat on their hands all night long. It seems to be that place could be VERY loud if the crowd gets into it enough with the low celings.

Old
10-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Gr8northscout

Gardens

What do you people think of the renovated Gardens?
The concession lines are long and slow....you'll miss half a period.
The beer servers are awfully cute.
There appears to be a few bottlenecks for traffic.

Was that TJ Foster who called a phantom penalty for goaltender interference?
Let's hope the officiating is as good as the quality of hockey.
I don't know of too many local zebras that are up to the task?

Old
10-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyone know if Butler is doing any negotiating with Sarnia for Brett Hargrave ? We could sure use some offence, unless its there but we have yet to see it. Other than Goodrow & sometimes Paul, the rest look like they are just going through the motions.
Should be a good test against high flying Kingston on Thursday.

Last edited by Greatger: 10-23-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old
10-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Gr8northscout

Hargraves

Hargraves couldn't score in Sarnia, what makes you think he's gonna score for NB?

Old
10-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Glassnout

I'd love to see a local kid on the team, but the cost for a 1st rounder would be rather high. I dont see Sarnia giving him away, despite the dismal offensive numbers. I would offer a 3rd rnd pick and a bottom 6 forward for him, but that's it. I can't see Sarnia agreeing to a trade like that.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8northscout View Post
Hargraves couldn't score in Sarnia, what makes you think he's gonna score for NB?
Change of scenery in his home town might just turn this kid around completely. I've seen it happen over the years.

Old
10-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Gr8northscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatger View Post
Change of scenery in his home town might just turn this kid around completely. I've seen it happen over the years.
yeah! mom's home cooking??

Old
10-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Gr8northscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4thHansonbrother View Post
Yeah, especially when the player you are trying to trade has played top 6 minutes and has 15 points in 72 games. Hargrave is sadly mistaken if he thinks he will get big minutes anywhere else, he has shown not only is he not willing to work for the ice time, but that he will take his ball and go home if he doesn't get it. Good move to pull in your draft year...
Taken from the Sarnia Sting forum.....it speaksfor itself

Old
10-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

From what I have witnessed so far this season:
Obviously more offence is needed.
Goodrow needs someone to compliment him.
Would Hargrave help him out and do the job here ?
Hometown boy will not only help the kid himself escalate, but will also put more bums in the seats. (always does).
Why he left Sarnia ?.......who cares..... he has his reasons.
I would hope Butler and company would be looking at this avenue.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
battfan888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatger View Post
From what I have witnessed so far this season:
Obviously more offence is needed.
Goodrow needs someone to compliment him.
Would Hargrave help him out and do the job here ?
Hometown boy will not only help the kid himself escalate, but will also put more bums in the seats. (always does).
Why he left Sarnia ?.......who cares..... he has his reasons.
I would hope Butler and company would be looking at this avenue.
More offense needed and somebody to compliment Goodrow or (insert star forward here).

AKA Last 5 years of Battalion hockey.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by battfan888 View Post
AKA Last 5 years of Battalion hockey.
Time will tell

Old
11-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Gr8northscout

Battalion

does anyone think the Troops will be buyers or sellers as the trade deadline looms?
this team is offensively challenged, goalies are mediocre and most of the team is very young.

Old
11-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

When your coaching style is defense first and the defense is not up to par or in this case had a slow start and never really got going. Then you will always
be behind the whole game especially when you have no offense to counter-attack with.
Wait until we play the really strong teams like London, Erie etc.

We have some big guys that donít hit (they rub), and never finish their checks.

We have no power-play they are always looking for the pretty play and never use their point men who are wide open (SHOOT THE PUCK). Again lack of offense will
make a poor power-play.

It will only get worse from here unless a change is made immediately.

Old
11-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

http://battalionhockey.com/article/t...-overager-bell

Old
11-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Tim Wallach

Any NB fans care to comment on Robinson? Statistically and physically seems very mediocre, which concerns me.

In Thomson you're getting a player who works hard, forechecks hard, hits and will drop the gloves. His fighting skills seem to have regressed a bit as he loses interest in being a tough guy. He's not quick-fisted at all, but has heavy fists when he connects.

He won't score much... maybe a dozen goals if you're lucky, but can actually set plays up okay and work the boards.

Old
11-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Any NB fans care to comment on Robinson? Statistically and physically seems very mediocre, which concerns me.

In Thomson you're getting a player who works hard, forechecks hard, hits and will drop the gloves. His fighting skills seem to have regressed a bit as he loses interest in being a tough guy. He's not quick-fisted at all, but has heavy fists when he connects.

He won't score much... maybe a dozen goals if you're lucky, but can actually set plays up okay and work the boards.
He's actually good friends with Barclay Goodrow...or should I was!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9vTngHKhE

Old
11-22-2013, 11:37 AM
bobber

By picking up Thomson is Butler thinking of taking a shot at winning the East this year? Otherwise the trade is a bit of a question mark. He would still have to add because Thompson is not going to put up a ton of points unless we missed something here.

Old
11-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Glassnout

Adds some toughness from the youtube clip I saw (holy) but this trade has me scratching my head. robinson just back from injury and is a promising player. All I can think is the kid was not happy here and maybe wanted out.

My first impression of the trade is we lost that one.

Old
11-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

From the games I actually saw Robinson (granted most were at the start of the year when they played on the road) To me he looked like a fast, smart play maker in the offensive zone. Good skater with a lot of potential.
Only reason I can see Butler doing something is to satisfy the disgruntled fans.
Is this a good move ? In my opinion ….. NO.
He got an over-age to fill his 3 overage slots and gave up a potentially great LW player who would develop quickly in time. Hopefully Brandon will develop his offense with Kitchener because he sure wasn’t able to do that with Butler’s defensive coaching style.
Kitchener will win down the line I’m afraid.

Old
11-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Tim Wallach

Thanks bayfan and greatger for your input. We don't see much of Robinson aside from knowing he was a high pick with good size but hadn't put up much in the way of stats.

It's a curious deal for sure for NB unless they're sadly lacking toughness. Thomson is a Butler type of player. He's all about the chip in and cycle. And he's very reliable in his own end and on the PK.

But as an OA, you only get him for a few months and he's not a put-you-over-the-top kind of player.

Old
11-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

At least now we have some meat & toughness.
We still need a goalie, a shot from the point and someone to hit someone.

Old
11-22-2013, 01:57 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Thanks bayfan and greatger for your input. We don't see much of Robinson aside from knowing he was a high pick with good size but hadn't put up much in the way of stats.

It's a curious deal for sure for NB unless they're sadly lacking toughness. Thomson is a Butler type of player. He's all about the chip in and cycle. And he's very reliable in his own end and on the PK.

But as an OA, you only get him for a few months and he's not a put-you-over-the-top kind of player.

I'm sorry but Kitchener won that one. Robinson is going to be around for a few good years, will get drafted no later than 5th round to the NHL and was the 7th overall pick in the 1st round. You hear rumblings that he just wasn't happy there so that may have more to do with it but I would've expected a 2nd round pick coming back. Especially since he scored 15G, 9A as a 16yo and then 17G,17A as a 17yo and that's on a Battalion team which is a lot for their style of play (almost exact copy of Bulls style...chip and charge).

You can also add in that the Batts have enough young guys to make that move not hurt too much but if Robinson weren't hobbled with that knee injury this trade would not be made.

Old
11-24-2013, 09:02 PM
jolly roger

Great move picking up Miles Liberati for a draft pick and a no-show. I've watched him at London, he's confident and tough. Too much offense for the Hunters to tolerate.

Old
11-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm happy to say that I saw a big difference with Liberati & Thomson in the lineup on Saturday against Barrie. Let's hope they keep playing the way they did and Stan doesn't change them too much into his defensive style. I am very anxious to see them Thursday against Ottawa and hopefully we will finally get our first regulation win.

Old
11-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Gr8northscout

they traded for 2 guys that aren't afraid to take the body. If Thomson fights than the Batt scorers don't have to. I see a Chris Neil in the making....
Good trade in my book. They needed toughness.

Closed Thread