OC at ESPN "we'll go get a Center"

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Jim

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
You overrate Tim Connolly. The guy has 46 goals in 325 NHL games. He is never going to make it to that All Star level. Connolly has not shown any type of upward trend either...which is concerning. Would I give up Hilbert and a pick for him, yes...Hilbert and Huml....dont think so...certainly not Hilbert and Samuelsson.

As for Zhitnik, he is a player I would like. He is not a true #1 by any means, he is 31 in three weeks, and no I would not trade Jurcina, Morrisson or Jillson and a pick for him. Not for a stop-gap player who will not take us over the top. I want to see what these kids can do. There is a chance that all three are solid NHL blue liners and will be ready to hit their prime at around the same time. I dont want to give up any of them.
First, of course he has shown an upward trend. Year one:34 pts, Year two:41 pts, Year 3:45 pts, Year 4:....okay, there is a dip, 25pts. I think we can give him a poor year. Also, his goals are not so much in question because he is a center. If he were to play the second line position, with his passing, and stickhandling skills, I would be more concerned with his assits and the goals of his wingers.

True, he will never be an Allstar, but who expects him to be? I see a 15-20 goal, 45 - 55 assist player(depending on his linemates), and can you ask more from a 2nd line center?

If you want to wait to see what our defensive prospects turn out to be, that is understandable. If Zhitnik were 35-36, I'd say no trade, but he still has some useful years left.

Old
09-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
First, of course he has shown an upward trend. Year one:34 pts, Year two:41 pts, Year 3:45 pts, Year 4:....okay, there is a dip, 25pts. I think we can give him a poor year. Also, his goals are not so much in question because he is a center. If he were to play the second line position, with his passing, and stickhandling skills, I would be more concerned with his assits and the goals of his wingers.

True, he will never be an Allstar, but who expects him to be? I see a 15-20 goal, 45 - 55 assist player(depending on his linemates), and can you ask more from a 2nd line center?

If you want to wait to see what our defensive prospects turn out to be, that is understandable. If Zhitnik were 35-36, I'd say no trade, but he still has some useful years left.
I dont give up two prospects and a pick for a guy who is going to top out at 15-20 goals. I would gladly do Hilbert and a second for him, but no way I though in Huml.

As far as his trending, a couple years around the same point total and then a major dip in what should have been a break out type year is a poor trend, and if I was Buffalo I would be very concerned about it.

Old
09-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Boston Bruno

Knutsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
Espen Knutsen - a smallish Jacket who could be expendable.

Others???
Here is a guy who is needing a scenery change. Knutsen is still seen with his head hang low. He needs a change, and I have alot of faith in this guys ability. Nhl All Star untill his incident.. A shift to boston could do him wonders..

Probably discounted too..

Anyone read anything about his demeanor..

Old
09-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Mizral

Why not sign Cliff Ronning or Adam Oates and just get it over with, O'Connell?

Better yet, if you need a centre now, why trade Stumpel you lumbering idiot!!!

Geez, what a maroon.

Old
09-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Geez, what a maroon.
Because Stumpel's play (and often indifference) didnt warrant his paycheck. IMO he was just one of the guys who wasnt part of the way will play from now on with Sullivan.

Old
09-26-2003, 02:32 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Geez, what a maroon.
Regarding Stumpel, that is a legit question. While I always deemed Stumps as part of the problem -- believing he was too dependent on his one skill (playmaking) and he didn't offer much else (especially work ethic) -- it can be viewed as a choice between the least worst options. At this point, while I generally agree with Bruwinz20, I would have rather had Stumpel than the current choices. I have never had much faith in O'Connell's strategy of letting Hilbert & Zinovjev battle it out for the #2 spot. Never. I thought he might acquire someone else who could perhaps add some leadership or work ethic, but nothing doing.

During it all, I've believed that Rolston would have to move up, and someone would have to grab the #3 spot. I've just prayed that it wasn't going to be Donato. Still, that strategy doesn't necessarily strengthen the roster unless the second line anchored by Rolston is credible and reliable and the third line center overachieves. Depending on those unknowns isn't good planning.

To me, the best option was Nieuwendyk, but if the B's were at all interested, then apparently Boston's horrid playoff record and win-second reputation did that one in. Oates would be acceptable to many posters here, but it seems like the rift between management after he and Tocchet criticized management for not doing enough to compete will always be a barrier. Ronning would make a good 3rd line center though. He has enough offensive instincts to contribute and he can be a sparkplug. Not the best option, but maybe better than what we have.

Closed Thread