HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Wirtz: Blackhawks to target female fans

Old
06-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Wirtz: Blackhawks to target female fans

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hocke...s-soaring.html

Quote:
Wirtz said the Hawks have roped in the hard-to-understand millennial demographic without really knowing how.

“They’re discovering it, they’re talking about it, they’re watching it together, they’re meeting at their favorite watering holes to view it and to celebrate,” he said. “It’s part of the whole lifestyle of what younger people are looking for.”

The team has courted other nontraditional hockey demographics. Wirtz said the Hawks have a 40 percent female fan base and plan to do more to speak to that group.

“We’re not properly marketing to enough women. Many times advertisers are looking at this as a ‘21- to 54-year-old male,’ ” he said. “We’ve gone a long way in knowing who our fan is, but we have a long way to go still.”

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I would do the same!

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Most of the women I've met enjoy hockey moreso than other sports like basketball or baseball. This should be a no brainer for every team in the league.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
The team has courted other nontraditional hockey demographics. Wirtz said the Hawks have a 40 percent female fan base and plan to do more to speak to that group.
This is inline with the NHL overall, with about a 40% female fan base.

That said, I bet all the Hawks' female fans are fans of Mr. Sharp as well:

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:59 AM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
I could see 40%.
With about 30% being teenage girls only interested in Patrick Kane.

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
The girl:guy ratio in Wrigleyville Monday was very good.

Now to get all these girls to care from October on and not just June.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Are women really a "nontraditional" hockey demographic at this point? It seems to me that there has been a large female fanbase for quite a long time now.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Marina
#freemorin

vCash: 1200
How do they plan on marketing towards more girls?

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Are women really a "nontraditional" hockey demographic at this point? It seems to me that there has been a large female fanbase for quite a long time now.
That 40% figure is several years old, so I don't think it's anything really new. I'm not sure why women prefer hockey to some of the other team sports, but part of it may be that hockey players seem to be the most 'normal' combined with being a very fast-paced sport where agility and athleticism are important (unlike baseball, for example). Obviously, there will be some regional differences, as I imagine a lot of women in the American south are huge football fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Not girls, but females/women. Promotional events aimed at women, more feminine hockey merchandise, or advertising in places that reach women over men. If sponsors understand that there's a large female segment, the league or team is likely to draw more attention from companies that make products for women, or where women would be the primary decision maker on a purchase.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:52 PM
KevFu

Quote:
I have so many jokes.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I have so many jokes.
Keep them to yourself... remember, we're the no LOL board

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Marina
#freemorin

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Not girls, but females/women. Promotional events aimed at women, more feminine hockey merchandise, or advertising in places that reach women over men. If sponsors understand that there's a large female segment, the league or team is likely to draw more attention from companies that make products for women, or where women would be the primary decision maker on a purchase.
Girls, females, women, all the same thing, semantics really. And okay, that makes sense.

Yeah I'm sure some of you have really hilarious jokes involving women watching hockey, why don't you keep them to yourself.

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:53 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

What I find interesting is the fact that, to date, women have been drawn to hockey without a significant amount of marketing being targeted at them. Suggests that there's no great need for a "girly" marketing push -- perhaps a lightening up of certain chauvinist tones here and there, but not the pink-hat brigade that the marketing team inevitably tries to push as "appealing to women".

I'm curious what the women here on the board would consider a genuine improvement in this area.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Girls, females, women, all the same thing, semantics really. And okay, that makes sense.

Yeah I'm sure some of you have really hilarious jokes involving women watching hockey, why don't you keep them to yourself.

Don't worry, we'll make sure those types of jokes are eradicated.

Regarding the nomenclature, my girl days were a long time ago, it's how I refer to my daughter.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
What I find interesting is the fact that, to date, women have been drawn to hockey without a significant amount of marketing being targeted at them. Suggests that there's no great need for a "girly" marketing push -- perhaps a lightening up of certain chauvinist tones here and there, but not the pink-hat brigade that the marketing team inevitably tries to push as "appealing to women".

I'm curious what the women here on the board would consider a genuine improvement in this area.

You find most of the chauvinism on boards, like this one, for example. I became a fan at a very young age probably due to family influences (favorite uncle for me). I think that's probably the case for fans who become introduced to the sport vs it being culturally ubiquitous as the case may be in Canada.

One thing that is a turnoff is the constant reference to ratings demographics, the "all-important 18-35 male beer drinking" segment. Hockey fans in general aren't very well aligned with that demo, but for some reason everyone seems to think that's where it's at... sure, if you're a beer company, for example. What if you're Cisco or a car or drug company? The way purchase decisions are made has evolved, and women are much more involved today than their grandmothers were, for example.

The reference to that particular demo segment seems to imply a lower or undesirable value, which really is a turnoff. Half the eyeballs in the country are female, and they spend a lot of money too.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Kane's a trendsetter. He's been targeting female fans for years.

And not at all shocked. Hawks fanbase amongst women in the Chicagoland area has been very noticeable.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Prairie Habs

Having Kane permanently do away with those awful mullets should be the first step IMO. Most of the females (don't want to get into that scary girls/women debate ) I know seem to like hockey at least partially for the players. I don't really want to stereotype all athletes but hockey players IMO generally have the best mix of physicality, skill, and being down to earth. There is also the strong culture of playing through visible injuries and bare knuckle brawling to stand up for your team mates that says "real men". And before someone tears me apart I'm not saying girls are watching hockey because they think "OMG boys, so manly, I should marry one". The reasons I listed are pretty much exactly why me and most other guys like hockey players too. Its just that more men grow up playing sports and typically just follow what they've always played where as with women are a bit more likely to have time away from sports as a teenager (at least the big 4 NA sports, my highschool still had tons of girls in soccer, volleyball, and track and field) and then kind of just choose something with more of a clean slate.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:
That 40% figure is several years old, so I don't think it's anything really new. I'm not sure why women prefer hockey to some of the other team sports, but part of it may be that hockey players seem to be the most 'normal' combined with being a very fast-paced sport where agility and athleticism are important (unlike baseball, for example). Obviously, there will be some regional differences, as I imagine a lot of women in the American south are huge football fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Keep them to yourself... remember, we're the no LOL board
Quote:
Don't worry, we'll make sure those types of jokes are eradicated.

Regarding the nomenclature, my girl days were a long time ago, it's how I refer to my daughter.
Quote:
You find most of the chauvinism on boards, like this one, for example. I became a fan at a very young age probably due to family influences (favorite uncle for me). I think that's probably the case for fans who become introduced to the sport vs it being culturally ubiquitous as the case may be in Canada.

One thing that is a turnoff is the constant reference to ratings demographics, the "all-important 18-35 male beer drinking" segment. Hockey fans in general aren't very well aligned with that demo, but for some reason everyone seems to think that's where it's at... sure, if you're a beer company, for example. What if you're Cisco or a car or drug company? The way purchase decisions are made has evolved, and women are much more involved today than their grandmothers were, for example.

The reference to that particular demo segment seems to imply a lower or undesirable value, which really is a turnoff. Half the eyeballs in the country are female, and they spend a lot of money too.
http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madh...212873341.html

Look at all the women in these pics. Use this in a poster marketing scheme.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

What's interesting is that a few years back, there was a decent amount of NHL gear that was in the pink or light blue color schemes rather than team colors. It sold infinitely better to young girls, and anything in adult women sizing just sat for months if not years.

Certain designs clearly marketed toward a female demographic will sell, but the off-color stuff just does not move.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Slightly off topic, but will there be a push to market more to visible minorities? Even looking at the photo gallery linked earlier in this thread, the crowds look almost entirely Caucasian. With almost 30% of the US now made of visible minorities (I am including Hispanics), who traditionally are not drawn to hockey, it would seem to make sense to increase efforts in this direction as well.

I have distant family in the Chicago area and have been told by them that hockey just did not appeal to them when they arrived in the US like the NFL, MLB and NBA did.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Slightly off topic, but will there be a push to market more to visible minorities? Even looking at the photo gallery linked earlier in this thread, the crowds look almost entirely Caucasian. With almost 30% of the US now made of visible minorities (I am including Hispanics), who traditionally are not drawn to hockey, it would seem to make sense to increase efforts in this direction as well.

I have distant family in the Chicago area and have been told by them that hockey just did not appeal to them when they arrived in the US like the NFL, MLB and NBA did.
I have a friend who works for Team USA Hockey and was talking about studies they have done about the effect of camps and accessibility in minority communities.

Wayne Simmonds has done intercity camps in LA and Philly to get young inner city kids to play hockey. He donates his time and has been able to get equipment donated to grow the game.

I personally think initiatives like Wayne's are the way to go on increasing the diversity of the sport, not only players but fans as well.

Back on topic, I know quite a few women who are hockey fans in Chicago. Women who have long followed and understood baseball or football and are really becoming well versed in hockey as well. Some like my Aunt who remember the dark ages. It's really cool to see. My wife's a big baseball fan, but she's kind of meh when it comes to hockey. I hope she comes around.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Ice boys.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:23 PM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

As a female fan of the Hawks for 25 years, I think the percentage gap between males and females for hockey is greater than it is for football and baseball at least. I would have to say that baseball has the closest male/female ratio. I have attended a good deal of Sox games, and I'd say that the percentage of women in those crowds was the greatest of any sporting event I've been to in this city. I would say that Hawks crowds had a considerably lower female fanbase. While it is growing, I do see some of them watching for superficial reasons such as Patrick Sharp being "hot."

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Most of the women I've met enjoy hockey moreso than other sports like basketball or baseball. This should be a no brainer for every team in the league.
This was long ago, can't remember where I read it, but there was a study which said that hockey has the most female fans than any other sport.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:06 PM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
This was long ago, can't remember where I read it, but there was a study which said that hockey has the most female fans than any other sport.
There was a study a few years ago regarding just the teams in Chicago, and the Cubs had the highest female percentage, followed by the Sox, Bulls, Bears, then the Hawks.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote