HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXXI: I'll Gladly Pay You Tuesday for Your Franchise Today!

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
I'm in the camp that believes the NHL wants to save Quebec for an expansion team
The NHL won't expand for at least 5 more years with all the struggling markets...

Old
06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
I'm in the camp that believes the NHL wants to save Quebec for an expansion team
I'm of the opinion that the only way that Gary will ever agree to a team existing in Qc is if we strap the weasel to a bomb and start the timer. In 1995 he did everything he could to get the Nords to move out of Qc. Including sabotaging the CBA in the player's favor.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
No way a team moves to KC or Houston unless the current owners of said arenas are the buyers. An NHL team needs all the arena revenue. It appears The league can't even create the illusion of a bidding war. I'm betting on Glendale for another year, the NHL staying but not being the arena managers.
I think it's obvious at this point that the Coyotes aren't leaving Glendale, at least not this summer. They're finding too many ways to not move the team. And even if they do, the league will line up an expansion team.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
06-03-2013, 08:28 AM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I think it's obvious at this point that the Coyotes aren't leaving Glendale, at least not this summer. They're finding too many ways to not move the team. And even if they do, the league will line up an expansion team.
Maybe in the past, but now they're just waiting for RSE & COG. If the team was staying they would have made some assurance. Instead they made it clear they weren't going to own the team anymore.

And because RSE needs a subsidy that is impossible to get, the team will be moving. Perhaps a little later than many thought, but it will move.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:42 AM
GF

Quote:
What makes you think it's obvious they aren't leaving?

Old
06-03-2013, 08:48 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
It's possible the league negotiates a lease with the RFP winner to play another year, but it would be under extremely unfavorable conditions. Losses would be incredible. They've known the parameters for too long, both what the city can offer and what RSE wants. We're in overtime, sure, but the game hasn't been decided just yet.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Great. So Steve there gets bored building csatles in the sand, starts watching Mad Men & decides he wants to be a Don Draper type, only cranked up, digital advertising Baby. Outdoors. Lets Westgate & the franchise go to Hell in a Handbasket. Swan's off to Madison Avenue leaving everyone in Arizona holding the bag. Hangs out at Tiffanys' every morning just after dawn waiting for Audrey Hepburn to show up. Clearly the mans delusional. Hypnotised by moving pictures on a screen. Cant differentiate between fact & fiction.
Isn't BK court great, clean slate and all that so you can learn from your past errors.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:27 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Because the 2013-14 schedule will be released in approximately two weeks and the Quebec franchise doesn't have a single staff member.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:40 AM
nelina
Rookie User

No staff members ???
Maloney can surely keep his position if he's ready to move to QC. As for other positions including coach, PKP already owns a team in the LHJMQ and I suspect Joel Bouchard to be in the plans somewhere if they get the team in Quebec. About everything is in place to well operate an NHL franchise.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:43 AM
CrazyMonkey1208

I'd rather see teams relocate than have expansion. I'm a big fan of less is more. At 21 teams, the league was perfect. Just enough teams for variety, still see the same teams enough to build strong rivalries.

At 30 teams, it's diluted. Remember when Chicago-Minn-St Louis were fierce rivals. Now it seems that it's just another game. At 32-34, it'll only get worse.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Because the 2013-14 schedule will be released in approximately two weeks and the Quebec franchise doesn't have a single staff member.
The new schedule will be released in early July according to Katie Strang. More like 4 or 5 weeks. The deadline for teams to give dates on arena availability was Friday or there abouts.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:49 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The new schedule will be released in early July according to Katie Strang. More like 4 or 5 weeks. The deadline for teams to give dates on arena availability was Friday or there abouts.
It why ExpoCité is not booking anything at the Old Colisé for October and November.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:53 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Ah. That's later than it has been recently.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:54 AM
nelina
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It why ExpoCité is not booking anything at the Old Colisé for October and November.
Yes, another indication that something is moving under the surface.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Ah. That's later than it has been recently.
Yeah the last few years it was usually a few days prior to the draft which happened sometime around June 20th. But the years before that the schedule was routinely released in early to mid July. I assume the lockout has pushed the schedule relase back this year.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Antaya

I think the Olympics has a bit to do with the schedule hold-up as well. Last time they announced which countries agreed to Sochi, USA and Canada weren't listed.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:08 AM
GF

I felt that the NHL can't commit for another season in Glendale unless they know someone's picking up the tab.

From what I understood, tomorrow, the CoG council members are supposed to get together to discuss the "NHL". I had the feeling that Gary Bettman is waiting on the council to make up their mind before taking any decision.

I'd like for the Coyotes to move to QC. However, if they're to stay in Glendale a little longer, I sincerly hope the new arena manager make Gary pay dearly for the needed 41 days the Coyotes will need in Glendale.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Because by the time they come around to doing it, they will have run out of time logistically.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:19 AM
GF

Quote:
Because by the time they come around to doing it, they will have run out of time logistically.
Well you may be right. But this being the NHL and all, I'll until the end of the week. Nothing has been logical since the beginning. But I tend to agree with you that time is getting way short and the chances that the NHL will be left holding the bag are pretty high.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Yukon Joe

They're probably already out of time.

Sorry Quebec City. No Nords in 2013-2014. Everything still looks extremely favourable for the return of the NHL to Quebec City, but the latest deal will have enough legs to save the Coyotes for one more year.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:20 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Anything done yet? ...

No?

Alright, see y'all in 2 weeks.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:21 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
They're probably already out of time.

Sorry Quebec City. No Nords in 2013-2014. Everything still looks extremely favourable for the return of the NHL to Quebec City, but the latest deal will have enough legs to save the Coyotes for one more year.
I agree, I think the Coyotes stay in Phoenix and Bettman, facing pressure from Quebec City, will grant Quebec City a franchise for 2015-2016.

06-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Slashers98

It's pathetic to see people believing Bettman will keep the Coyotes in Glendale one more year for another lame-duck season. With Tippett and Mike Smith gone, and no quality free agents willing to sign there, the Coyotes will be a cellar-dwelling team.

Expect $50M in losses if that ever happens and the NHL doesn't even have a place to play. CoG will never give $15M/year to RSE.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:01 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
The only thing obvious is they aren't leaving Glendale in the next 15 minutes. The 15 minutes after that. Take it 15 minutes at a time.

You may be right, they may be staying in Glendale for another season, but the question that MUST be answered is. Who pays for them to do so?

It's either Bettman or the CoG....

The only reason the Coyotes are still in Glendale today is because the CoG decided to pay $50M for the privilege of keeping them while Bettman searches high and low for an owner. Well, the CoG is not going to do that again ( being "mislead" twice as to the prospectus of actually landing an owner will make you stop giving out $25M / yr ) , so they are not paying for any losses if the team stays.

That leaves Bettman and co. If Gary can convince the other 29 owners that giving $1M - $2M each for "the cause" is a good idea, then sure they can stay. I know if I was an owner, even though it's not a great amount, I'm sure I could find better things to spend a million or two on.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Went away for a weekend, and I'm disappointed that another month has passed with nothing.

Part of me hopes that the RFP goes through, Glendale gets someone else to run the arena and charges the NHL more rent than they were paying before. The RSE will split and then Bettman and his BOG will be on the hook for all the losses and the rent.

Stubborn mismanagement.

Closed Thread