HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 08:31 PM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I understand he has hired Matt Nichol the former i believe former, strength and conditioning coach of the Leafs to work with him this summer
Matt Nichol was the Leafs Strength and Conditioning Coach from 2002 2009, he is the Founder, Head Strength and Conditioning Coach of Paragenix Systems. ( Company blurb -> a company dedicated to helping professional athletes and elite amateur athletes)

Sounds as if he's getting serious this summer.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:37 PM
big papa

Quote:
I understand he has hired Matt Nichol the former i believe former, strength and conditioning coach of the Leafs to work with him this summer
Thats good if he is with Nichol. Him and Gary Roberts were the main reason Stamkos went from 23 to 51 goals, they have trained alot of current NHL players.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:49 PM
spitz fan 4ever

still another week until the import draft...wednesday, july 3rd, spits pick 11th and 20th, wondering if any1 thinks there will be any action between NHL draft and IMPORT draft.....thoughts, comments...thanx in advance

Old
06-25-2013, 10:24 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
still another week until the import draft...wednesday, july 3rd, spits pick 11th and 20th, wondering if any1 thinks there will be any action between NHL draft and IMPORT draft.....thoughts, comments...thanx in advance
If I remember correctly the trade window closes the day before the import draft then opens again around the 2nd of Aug...someone can correct this...
IMHO the Spits won't do anything trade wise until after Aug 2nd.
Since you can't trade in the Import draft that eliminates some trades.
Probably the Spits will wait to do any trading until Aug.
Once they see if any US players will decide to come here and once they find out
who they get in the Import Draft.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:55 PM
hockeylegend11

With the OHL schedule released today here some observations as it pertains to the Spits

Sched sees 7 home games on Sat nites,7.05 start
Spits start the 1st 4 games at home,6 of the 1st 7 at home as well,only rd game at London
Of the Spits 1st 8 games only 1 against a contender,the Ldn road game mentioned above
the others against rebuilding or continuing a rebuild,Oshawa,SarniaX2,Erie,Ply,NF,Belleville
While Windsor wont be the only team missing guys at start of the season,missing Rychel,Vail,KoekKoek,Seiloff,maybe an Euro will hurt up to probably Oct 8 where 6 of the 1st 8 games are at home
Other notes,Spits dont travel to LDN after Dec 6 as all 3 games will have been completed
Knights btw will be in once post trade deadline,on Feb !8 family day
Windsor fans will see wunderkid Connor Macdavid and the Erie Otters the 2nd weekend of the season Sep28,and the last weekend of the season Thurs Mar 13
Windsor will play Owen Sd 3 times in a 9 day stretch 2 in Windsor from Oct 24 to Nov 2
Finally the SSM wont be seen in Windsor until the new year,all 3 home games against them scheduled after the trade tradeline,with the 1st 1 being Jan 16

Old
06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
big papa

Quote:
With the OHL schedule released today here some observations as it pertains to the Spits

Spits start the 1st 4 games at home,6 of the 1st 7 at home as well,only rd game at London
Of the Spits 1st 8 games only 1 against a contender,the Ldn road game mentioned above
the others against rebuilding or continuing a rebuild,Oshawa,SarniaX2,Erie,Ply,NF,Belleville
While Windsor wont be the only team missing guys at start of the season,missing Rychel,Vail,KoekKoek,Seiloff,maybe an Euro will hurt up to probably Oct 8 where 6 of the 1st 8 games are at home
Other notes,Spits dont travel to LDN after Dec 6 as all 3 games will have been completed
Windsor fans will see wunderkid Connor Macdavid and the Erie Otters the 2nd weekend of the season Sep28,and the last weekend of the season Thurs Mar 13
Windsor will play Owen Sd 3 times in a 9 day stretch 2 in Windsor from Oct 24 to Nov 2
Finally the SSM wont be seen in Windsor until the new year,all 3 home games against them scheduled after the trade tradeline,with the 1st 1 being Jan 16
of the first 19 games of the season we play 6 games on the road and 13 games at home. longest road trip of the season is 4 games from Nov16-Nov23 against Peterborough 16, Oshawa 17, Guelph 22, London 23 then we play Plymouth at Home on the 24th. A good home heavy home schedule in the first 1/3 of the season

Old
06-27-2013, 05:16 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
Prolly waiting to see if any agents threaten filing against CHL......and I suspect there are high end threats being tossed around .

Fair trade and work practises may draw big Dave a phone call from Ottawa and ministry of labour.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:51 AM
OHLTG

A couple things I don't like about the schedule:

In Niagara on Saturday and then in Erie on Sunday? That's so bass-ackwards it's not even funny.

North Bay on a Thursday? So much for going there this year I'd have much rather seen SSM on Fri, Sud on Sat, and NB on Sunday.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
A couple things I don't like about the schedule:

In Niagara on Saturday and then in Erie on Sunday? That's so bass-ackwards it's not even funny.

North Bay on a Thursday? So much for going there this year I'd have much rather seen SSM on Fri, Sud on Sat, and NB on Sunday.
After reading this (and not actually looking) I am guessing North Bay's home games are on a Thursday as that's when the Knights are there too. Good news is they play in Sudbury the Friday (next day) so I may book two days off and catch em both. Love the road trips!

Old
06-28-2013, 09:46 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

I like that there are 7 games on a Saturday which is good. Last year wasn't close to that. I will add one more thing toughest stretch is from Nov 16-Jan 12 where 16 of 24 are on the road.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:35 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
That is true and is a Very good sign for Hosang. Ive been critical at times about his game.

I was critical because I strongly believed he could give u more. I honestly believe that he has close to Mcdavid's co-ordination and skill. As team-mates the differences in talent/skill were small. The difference was in mentality, i.e. being consistent and engaged all the time. He could reach 80-100 points and be one of the best players in the OHL. Its all up to him. Hosang is so talented.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Sec108

I think he is a bit headstrong and thinks he knows more than the coaches.He has to start listening to direction alot more.If he adds size he has all the tools thats for sure.

This is his breakout yr thats for sure.Hope he takes advantage of it.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:54 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
I think he is a bit headstrong and thinks he knows more than the coaches.He has to start listening to direction alot more.If he adds size he has all the tools thats for sure.

This is his breakout yr thats for sure.Hope he takes advantage of it.
Possibly making the decision to work out with Nichol might be a sign of a maturing player? Nichol is pretty serious.

Old
06-29-2013, 04:37 PM
jughead42*

To be honest I'm not worried about Ho-Sang taking a step, I'm pretty confident he has the ability to do it despite our recent struggles in the player development department. His performance last year can hardly be considered a disappointment by any stretch of the imagination, he's a smaller guy and the whole team struggled. Maybe he's not Connor MacDavid or John Tavares or Taylor Hall able to dominate from the second they step on OHL ice, but he's something special anyway, make no mistake about it. He doesn't have to be a first overall NHL pick and a hockey prodigy to be a great player for us.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Sec108

With the rumour of less STH this season, will the Spits have a pick your seat day soon so present STH can move seats if they want.? Does anyone know?

Also about the schedule, Im glad to see more Sat night games.I hope they do well and maybe have half thurs and half Sat nights for the future.Alot of shift workers would appreciate it and families that can sleep in Sundays.IMO a shift from thurs should take place for busy people and families for the future.

Old
06-29-2013, 09:25 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
With the rumour of less STH this season, will the Spits have a pick your seat day soon so present STH can move seats if they want.? Does anyone know?

Also about the schedule, Im glad to see more Sat night games.I hope they do well and maybe have half thurs and half Sat nights for the future.Alot of shift workers would appreciate it and families that can sleep in Sundays.IMO a shift from thurs should take place for busy people and families for the future.
theres 34 home games a year so 14 on Thursday 14 Saturday with 6 Sunday or other days of week wouldnt look bad

Old
06-30-2013, 12:00 AM
RayzorIsDull

96 hrs left Warren to get some top notch imports in Windsor. Your legacy as part owner of the Windsor Spitfires is on the line.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:57 AM
aresknights

A couple good picks and hell go a long way towards regaining some faith with the fans.
I gotta think theyve learned from the past and have really done their homework, having a plan a, b, c...
All team picks will be trumpeted as great ones, well have to wait til Oct or later to start judging them.
Gotta feeling theyll do well this time around, not that IM hoping for it , just think they get at least one real solid contributor and maybe a couple

Old
06-30-2013, 11:55 AM
etr102

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
A couple good picks and hell go a long way towards regaining some faith with the fans.
I gotta think theyve learned from the past and have really done their homework, having a plan a, b, c...
All team picks will be trumpeted as great ones, well have to wait til Oct or later to start judging them.
Gotta feeling theyll do well this time around, not that IM hoping for it , just think they get at least one real solid contributor and maybe a couple
If after only 2 bad seasons the owners need to regain 'faith' from their fan base then as a fan, I'm embarassed. I give them a pass on 11-12 because of how young the team was. I only really consider 12-13 to be a disaster.

We're Windsorites. We put up with the Randy Smith era Detroit Tigers. We put up with the Matt Millen era Lions. Not to mention the pre-Yzerman 'Dead Wings' era. Yet we can't handle 1 or 2 bad seasons of Spitfires Hockey?

Old
06-30-2013, 12:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
If after only 2 bad seasons the owners need to regain 'faith' from their fan base then as a fan, I'm embarassed. I give them a pass on 11-12 because of how young the team was. I only really consider 12-13 to be a disaster.

We're Windsorites. We put up with the Randy Smith era Detroit Tigers. We put up with the Matt Millen era Lions. Not to mention the pre-Yzerman 'Dead Wings' era. Yet we can't handle 1 or 2 bad seasons of Spitfires Hockey?
It's ok to give them a pass for 11-12 but the results of 12-13 should make an opinion change on 11-12 because Rychel was wrong with player evaluations. 11-12 was poor because a poor 1st round pick in 2010 with Webermin, 2011 with Maletta and followed it up with Smith in the 2nd.

Through Spitfire history they really have never had 2 straight years of ineptitude on offense. Right now Windsor can either do well in the import draft and the team would be better but if Rychel flops the team is going to be really poor again.

You would have to ask individual fans why their faith has been shaken, there's a reason why the Spits are calling up past sth to offer them earlybird prices in late June going into July.

Old
06-30-2013, 12:38 PM
aresknights

Was just responding to what on here, has seemed like the posters would like something good to happen.
Some are questioning one hit wonders or if they can sustain success. Not judging, just observing. I get that there is a loyal group that has given them a pass, but there is also a frustrated group looking for some positives.
I think theyll do a good job here after a couple sub par years decision wise.

Old
06-30-2013, 02:48 PM
etr102

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Was just responding to what on here, has seemed like the posters would like something good to happen.
Some are questioning one hit wonders or if they can sustain success. Not judging, just observing. I get that there is a loyal group that has given them a pass, but there is also a frustrated group looking for some positives.
I think theyll do a good job here after a couple sub par years decision wise.
I'm not saying you are wrong or right (you probably are right), it's just embarassing that's all.

In Windsor it seems like we flock to everything that's new and exciting and once the novelty wears off, things die off. I'll cite a few (off topic) examples.

Krispy Kreme opens a location in Windsor. When the location first opened, there were hour long lineups circling the block to get really bad tasting "donuts." The novelty wears off and the Krispy Kreme goes out of business within a couple years.

Marble Slab opens a location in Windsor/Tecumseh. Again, hour long lineups circling the neighborhood to get ice cream that really wasn't even very good. The novelty wears off and the place goes out of business within a year or two.

Most Recently, Buffalo Wild Wings opens up a location in Windsor. People actually camped out like 10 hours before the place opened to be one of the first to experience it. For the first month or so there are hour long waits for tables to eat what essentially amounts to bar food (substandard bar food when compared to other local places like Hurricane's). Buffalo Wild Wings is still moderately busy, but there are plenty of empty tables and no wait times.

And the most ridiculous example of all. About 10 years ago, Taco Bell opens up a Devonshire Mall location and there's a mile long lineup to eat at it. Windsor has had Taco Bells since at least the early 80s. It's nothing new. But apparently the novelty of eating Taco Bell in the food court at Devonshire Mall was enough to draw the crowds. The location is obviously still around today, without any lineup whatsoever. I completely don't get this one. It absolutely baffled me at the time seeing a mile long lineup for Taco Bell.

Anyway, for some reason, Windsor seems to be about the now. Once the novelty off, the crowds move on to something else. In the case of the Spitfires, the 'new' was obviously the WFCU Centre. I bet you a Riolo-quality team could have drawn big crowds at WFCU the first couple years. The fact that the teams were as good as they were was a bonus. Now the novelty has worn off and the crowds have moved on.

That's why I say, as a fan, I'm embarassed. 2 bad seasons shouldn't be enough to put a dent in the fan base, but apparently it is.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:14 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
I'm not saying you are wrong or right (you probably are right), it's just embarassing that's all.

In Windsor it seems like we flock to everything that's new and exciting and once the novelty wears off, things die off. I'll cite a few (off topic) examples.

Krispy Kreme opens a location in Windsor. When the location first opened, there were hour long lineups circling the block to get really bad tasting "donuts." The novelty wears off and the Krispy Kreme goes out of business within a couple years.

Marble Slab opens a location in Windsor/Tecumseh. Again, hour long lineups circling the neighborhood to get ice cream that really wasn't even very good. The novelty wears off and the place goes out of business within a year or two.

Most Recently, Buffalo Wild Wings opens up a location in Windsor. People actually camped out like 10 hours before the place opened to be one of the first to experience it. For the first month or so there are hour long waits for tables to eat what essentially amounts to bar food (substandard bar food when compared to other local places like Hurricane's). Buffalo Wild Wings is still moderately busy, but there are plenty of empty tables and no wait times.

And the most ridiculous example of all. About 10 years ago, Taco Bell opens up a Devonshire Mall location and there's a mile long lineup to eat at it. Windsor has had Taco Bells since at least the early 80s. It's nothing new. But apparently the novelty of eating Taco Bell in the food court at Devonshire Mall was enough to draw the crowds. The location is obviously still around today, without any lineup whatsoever. I completely don't get this one. It absolutely baffled me at the time seeing a mile long lineup for Taco Bell.

Anyway, for some reason, Windsor seems to be about the now. Once the novelty off, the crowds move on to something else. In the case of the Spitfires, the 'new' was obviously the WFCU Centre. I bet you a Riolo-quality team could have drawn big crowds at WFCU the first couple years. The fact that the teams were as good as they were was a bonus. Now the novelty has worn off and the crowds have moved on.

That's why I say, as a fan, I'm embarassed. 2 bad seasons shouldn't be enough to put a dent in the fan base, but apparently it is.
you can say that about ever city in the world, every body likes to try something new and eventually they get either tired of that new thing or fall inlove with it. I would think most of the fans that are no longer showing up have to deal with product on ice and ticket/food prices at WFCU for the band wagon fans. i dont think you can find a single person who wont agree that for four years (07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 10-11) we had a really great team and got spoiled as we were top 4 each of the four years

Old
06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Libbs

That's just human nature...its definitely not something unique to Windsor.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Ottomatic

^Well you want to go that direction - Spits were crud for many more years, got great for a couple, and is back in the crapper.

And in your examples you yourself point out that the product was substandard and the Windsor folks bailed. You seem to be arguing that Windsor should support a substandard product. Bull.

Closed Thread