HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
^Yep. He cannot be traded for a year by Erie. Erie called his bluff, now we'll see if it was a bluff like Tolchinsky or if they can get the Capitals to tell him to come over and play in Erie, or a wing with McDavid. I'm sure Dansk will be calling him up as well.

But if he doesn't come, it's on Branch. Because Windsor could have traded for him and Erie would have ended up with good pieces, and the league would have an NHL first rounder in it for the fans to get to see.

Burakovsky's agent/adviser personally contacted all the teams drafting before Windsor at #11 and told them flatly that he would not report. Washington will have a lot of sway here now, but unless they sign the kid, they don't really have control and probably don't care if he plays in a top program in Sweden or comes to play in Erie for a year.

Branch is probably elated if he doesn't come over, because it will be more more Canadian kid who gets that roster spot.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 07-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old
07-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Interesting, this was posted in propects forum. Can't read any of it, but from the title is appears that Razor was on to something and that Burakowsky had a deal with Windsor, but Erie scooped them again. Will be interesting to see if he reports.

http://mrmadhawk.se/2013/july/andre-...d-windsor.html
He may have had a deal with Windsor doesn't mean it was exclusive to just Windsor. I'm sure both players and teams doesn't put all their eggs into one basket especially when it comes to the CHL Import Draft.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
But if he doesn't come, it's on Branch. Because Windsor could have traded for him and Erie would have ended up with good pieces, and the league would have an NHL first rounder in it for the fans to get to see.
This whole Import thing is totally stupid, and a case of "cutting off your own nose to spite your face"
Why the heck wouldnt the OHL be drooling at getting a player over of his calibre.?

Its sucks for Erie, whom, if they were allowed to trade his rights to another team, would bag some great assets, they would WIN either way.
(dont get me wrong, as a fan of Euro prospects, and a lifelong Caps fan, I just want him over in North America, whether he be in Erie OR Windsor)

Its sucks for the Player, who may end up NOT coming over at all now (lets not forget these are young lads, its not like a Pro "refusing"!)
It sure sucks for fans of the League whom due to some bizarre rule a great young talent may not play.

Last edited by johnnydrum: 07-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old
07-04-2013, 01:10 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
This whole Import thing is totally stupid, and a case of "cutting off your own nose to spite your face"
Why the heck wouldnt the OHL be drooling at getting a player over of his calibre.?

Its sucks for Erie, whom, if they were allowed to trade his rights to another team, would bag some great assets, they would WIN either way.
(dont get me wrong, as a fan of Euro prospects, and a lifelong Caps fan, I just want him over in North America, whether he be in Erie OR Windsor)

Its sucks for the Player, who may end up NOT coming over at all now (lets not forget these are young lads, its not like a Pro "refusing"!)
It sure sucks for fans of the League whom due to some bizarre rule a great young talent may not play.
Washington asked the Otters to select him. Im pretty certain they will sign him and assign him to Erie.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Washington asked the Otters to select him. Im pretty certain they will sign him and assign him to Erie.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that he had a deal with Windsor. What benefit does Erie bring that Windsor doesn't? I bet Hunter has a hand in this

Old
07-04-2013, 01:22 PM
coachfluffy

Everyone seems to be getting bent out of shape because a team, in this case Erie, chose an eligible player in the draft that had a backroom deal with another team. Maybe just have the limit of two imports and open up the field to everyone. Forego the "draft" all together and make them all free agents.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:22 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that he had a deal with Windsor. What benefit does Erie bring that Windsor doesn't? I bet Hunter has a hand in this
Playing with the best 16 year old in the world Connor Macdavid
The line of McDavid-Burakovsky- Brown will give OHL teams fits

Old
07-04-2013, 01:24 PM
johnnydrum

Quote:
But why would the Caps do that?
What advantage would they gain by him playing in Erie and not Windsor?
I cant see how one would benefit the Caps, than the other?

Like I said no disrespect to the lovely people of Erie....I just want the kid in N/A full stop...but I cant imagine Washington interfering with the OHL draft.
Like me, they would just be keen to get him in North America

Old
07-04-2013, 01:28 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
But why would the Caps do that?
What advantage would they gain by him playing in Erie and not Windsor?
I cant see how one would benefit the Caps, than the other?

Like I said no disrespect to the lovely people of Erie....I just want the kid in N/A full stop...but I cant imagine Washington interfering with the OHL draft.
Like me, they would just be keen to get him in North America
Playing with Connor McDavid? Im not sure, just what Ive been told (and has been repeated in the media).

Old
07-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Playing with the best 16 year old in the world Connor Macdavid
The line of McDavid-Burakovsky- Brown will give OHL teams fits
Yeah, don't get me wrong I can agree with the allure of playing with McDavid and to be honest I like the fact that teams are starting to get ballsy and draft the players they want rather than let the players pick the destination. I was just trying to get the conspiracy theorists going.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:33 PM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Playing with Connor McDavid?
Thank you Sean....but again, what advantage would that give the Caps?
Its not like it is going to increase Andres draft stock, playing with young McDavid (who I gather is superb), even if he bags 40-50 goals, as he is already the Caps property?
It makes no odds to the Caps, as they have already drafted him?

I cant imagine the Caps having any influence on which OHL team drafted him.
I just hope he reports, as I want the top guys over...
Like I said I am a life long Caps fan, so I think his game will develop much, much better in the OHL so, sitting here with my fingers crossed.

Now then, as this is a Spits board, who wants to chat about Jacob De La Rose and Nikita Yazkov!!
I only have a small clip of Yazkov, scoring the games first goal, here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBwH82YRJQ
~I got the moves like Yazza...I got the moves like Yazza!~

Last edited by johnnydrum: 07-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old
07-04-2013, 01:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Playing with Connor McDavid? Im not sure, just what Ive been told (and has been repeated in the media).
That's a smart move by an organization go behind the back of the agent and tell another CHL franchise to pick him and he will show up. That's a good way to build a relationship with the players agent.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:52 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That's a smart move by an organization go behind the back of the agent and tell another CHL franchise to pick him and he will show up. That's a good way to build a relationship with the players agent.
I don't know how it went down, nor do we really have any idea what was said to an agent, I don't guess with things. Import draft being 3 days after the draft never helps these things. That said, I doubt either will care if they sign him to an NHL contract.

Quote:
Thank you Sean....but again, what advantage would that give the Caps?
Its not like it is going to increase Andres draft stock, playing with young McDavid (who I gather is superb), even if he bags 40-50 goals, as he is already the Caps property?
It makes no odds to the Caps, as they have already drafted him?
NHL teams always have a say in their prospects. As an example, The Chicago Blackhawks directed Alex Broadhurst to play in London over Nebraska Omaha. The Rangers told JT Miller to play in Plymouth. Its how it works. Why they feel Erie is the spot for Burakovsky, they will have to be the ones to say.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
Everyone seems to be getting bent out of shape because a team, in this case Erie, chose an eligible player in the draft that had a backroom deal with another team. Maybe just have the limit of two imports and open up the field to everyone. Forego the "draft" all together and make them all free agents.
Agreed. Let me get this straight? People are fussing because the 'backroom deal' to acquire this player through the draft fell through? Wow, those sanctions for a few years ago are really lost on some fans eh.
Thats why there is a draft, so it gives teams a chance at better players depending on where they finished last year.
Besides, if there was no draft and it was open like a 'free agency', you'd really hate it cuz they'd all come to London

Old
07-04-2013, 01:55 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
See, this is the problem with the CHL draft. The players and their agent shouldnt get to pick where they want to go, nor should Washington. He should just go where he gets drafted to. Windsor and Erie would both be equally good destinations at this point.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Ottomatic

Maybe Washington likes the player development going on in Erie better than Windsor.

Old
07-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
See, this is the problem with the CHL draft. The players and their agent shouldnt get to pick where they want to go, nor should Washington. He should just go where he gets drafted to. Windsor and Erie would both be equally good destinations at this point.
You say that as a fan, but would you say that as a player? I know if my kid was good enough to potentially have a pro career I wouldn't leave his junior destination up to chance. He'd be going the NCAA route on a scholarship where he could pick his destination - find the best fit for ice time potential, coaching, school, living arrangements etc.

No chance in hell I would have allowed a kid to play for Windsor in the Riolo years, and I'd want a serious sitdown meeting with WR now, and any potential billet (who's first priority seems to be to protect the organization).

Old
07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Agreed. Let me get this straight? People are fussing because the 'backroom deal' to acquire this player through the draft fell through? Wow, those sanctions for a few years ago are really lost on some fans eh.
Thats why there is a draft, so it gives teams a chance at better players depending on where they finished last year.
Besides, if there was no draft and it was open like a 'free agency', you'd really hate it cuz they'd all come to London
Sanctimoniousness is rich coming from a London fan.

Old
07-04-2013, 02:25 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
a) I'm sure London has never been involved in a backroom deal.

b) There's a slight difference between OHL draft dealings and Import draft dealings. I can understand if a team and a 16-year old have talked about having the kid come 10,000 miles to play over here.

Quote:
In a perfect world, sure, but all organizations are not made equal. Some are fantastic, while some you kind of sit there and go "did that just happen?" If I'm a 16 or 17-year old coming to the OHL from Russia, Sweden, Finland, or anywhere in that region of the world, you better believe I want to go to an organization that has my best interest in mind. This isn't a three-hour drive away. It's a completely new culture. It's not like the kid can say "I'm not a fan of my team, so I need a breather; going home for a couple days to see family and get my mind focused."

Old
07-04-2013, 02:29 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Sincerely Sam I will come play for your franchise if you hire my dad Gagner

Old
07-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Sincerely Sam I will come play for your franchise if you hire my dad Gagner
Lol! Hey, I'm not saying you are wrong....but just calling it like I see it. I feel bad for you that this back room deal didn't go through....really....

To OHGTG's point, it is a bit different yes but don't you think the homework would have been done? Wouldn't the Spits check with other teams to see if they were going to take him OR would they not have asked the agent 'so how did your talk go with the teams when you said dont draft him as he wont report'.
But besides that, in the interest of equity for teams in mind if Erie wanted him, they should get him no?
(I know I know, coming from a London fan...trust me, I'm having a tough time keeping a straight face as I type this)

Old
07-04-2013, 02:45 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
You say that as a fan, but would you say that as a player? I know if my kid was good enough to potentially have a pro career I wouldn't leave his junior destination up to chance. He'd be going the NCAA route on a scholarship where he could pick his destination - find the best fit for ice time potential, coaching, school, living arrangements etc.

No chance in hell I would have allowed a kid to play for Windsor in the Riolo years, and I'd want a serious sitdown meeting with WR now, and any potential billet (who's first priority seems to be to protect the organization).
Just as I wouldn't want my son playing in Erie. They haven't been developing players since Colaiacovo and Connolly. I would have a hard time saying McDavid is being developed as well. He fell into the laps of Erie for sucking really bad.

Old
07-04-2013, 03:00 PM
OHLTG

It's significantly different. Teams do their homework, but that doesn't mean it always goes according to plan. In a draft like this, I have no issues if the teams could trade their picks because a player wasn't happy. They're young kids coming 10,000 miles to play hockey. It's not always going to be a great match (player and team). In the current situation, though, taking a kid who's talking with another team is a bit scary because now you've got a kid who is going to a city he wasn't anticipating.

Sure, Windsor could have asked everyone and anyone about what would happen with the player. Are people going to be truthful all the time? I doubt it.

Should Erie get him? Under the old rules, yes. Under the new rules, I don't know.

Old
07-04-2013, 03:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Would have liked to have Burkakovsky however I have moved on to look at what
Windsor projects right now prior to any deals for O/A and non O/A players at the forward
position
Assuming and including both Euros,my gut feeling is that both will be here not just 1

forwards

Rychel-HoSang-Yazkov
De La Rose-Vail-Marchese
Giftopoulous-Moore-Hughes
Verbeek-Bilcke-Graham

others- Luchuk-Foss-Hudie
Leslie-Kenney-Marlatt

Def
Murphy-Seiloff
Ebert-Brown
Koekkoek-Bateman

others
Sanvido-Murray
Bowen- Burns
Baughman-Kotsovos
Markovic-Morrison

Goal
Dekort
Kuchmey

other
Johnston
Billing

Not a bad start,but I would add these 2 players
Steve Janes O/a from Owen Sd and LW S.Harper from Erie
I would move a 2nd rder for Janes and Bateman or Brown pref Bateman to Erie
for Harper,toss in Bowen to Erie along with Graham instead of Brown

The lines would like this
Rychel-Hosang-Yazkov
Janes-De La Rose-Gifto
Marchese-Vail-Harper
Verbeek-Moore-Hughes

sp-Bilcke-Foss

T he De La Rose line would be huge with DLR the small guy at 6"3 190,a line that can
score and hit
Also these moves leaves room for 1 more O/A, at forward or even goal if necc
Thoughts anyone
In my view a lineup like this would be very competetive,with to me reasonable price tags

Old
07-04-2013, 03:59 PM
joe89

De La Rose should go, I hope. Probably tough to move from his newly promoted SHL team, but another year of grinding will do him no good in the long haul. He needs to play a top6 role, some PP and refine the skill parts of his game. Maybe he'll learn to fight too, who knows lol.

Closed Thread