HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Any news on the Spits goaltending situation?

Nothing going on at the moment as a trade freeze is in effect until Aug 2nd or so.

IMHO This is one of the major areas of concern. Presently the goalies are...

#1 Jason Dekort who failed to get picked in the NHL draft. He has played a total of 28 games in the OHL (for the Spitfires) and 37 games in Lasalle (Jr B)

2011-12 Windsor Spitfires OHL 3 5.39 0.854
2012-13 Windsor Spitfires OHL 25 4.34 0.883

Height: 6.04.25
Weight: 193
Birthdate: 8/8/1995

#2 Dalen Kuchmey signed as a free agent…passed over in OHL draft

Birthyear: 1994-09-05

2011-12 Strathroy Rockets GOJHL 36 3.85 .896
2012-13 Strathroy Rockets GOJHL 39 3.01 .918

#3 Brendan Johnston Birthdate: Jan 30, 1997
Drafted by the Spitfires 97th overall in the 5th round
0.916 save percentage and a 2.36 goals against average. Johnston’s save percentage was tied for second in the Alliance AAA league

#4 Jaroslav Pavelka Born Sep 12 1993
2011-12 Niagara IceDogs OHL 7 5.37 0.846
2011-12 Windsor Spitfires OHL 34 3.47 0.905
2012-13 Windsor Spitfires OHL 54 3.65 0.902

As someone once said opinions are like *ssholes everyone has one and you don't need mine but here goes....

I wouldn't want to go into an OHL season with a goaltending tandem that has 28 total games of experience in the OHL. No matter how much you think the possible potential is...it's just a recipe for disaster. Poor play, injuries you name it and Murphy's Law says you'll probably run into it.

So what are the Spitfires options....IMHO Once the trade window has opened again I think the Spits will in all likelihood announce a multi-player trade that will include a goaltender coming our way who has OHL experience..heading the other way I'm guessing will be Kuchmey among others.

As for Pavelka since he is an overage player as well as an Import he will remain Spit property at least until Nov 15th and should he choose to return to the OHL before then he could be traded.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Sec108

I myself would like to see Pav return as an OA.If we get Yazkov and De la Rose on board, with Pav we could realisticlly make a run.

Pav didnt have much in front of him last season and he kept us in alot of games.

I would tandem him with Kuchmey and would include DeKort in a pkg for a highend OA with a pick/s.

14/15 w/ Kuchmey/Johnston

Old
07-11-2013, 06:21 PM
WindsorGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
If we get Yazkov and De la Rose on board, with Pav we could realisticlly make a run.
We can't run with all three - only 2 import spots available. If De la Rose can't get out of his commitment, then run with Pav, otherwise time to trade for a goaltender.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:22 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post

Nothing going on at the moment as a trade freeze is in effect until Aug 2nd or so.

IMHO This is one of the major areas of concern. Presently the goalies are...

#1 Jason Dekort who failed to get picked in the NHL draft. He has played a total of 28 games in the OHL (for the Spitfires) and 37 games in Lasalle (Jr B)

2011-12 Windsor Spitfires OHL 3 5.39 0.854
2012-13 Windsor Spitfires OHL 25 4.34 0.883

Height: 6.04.25
Weight: 193
Birthdate: 8/8/1995

#2 Dalen Kuchmey signed as a free agent…passed over in OHL draft

Birthyear: 1994-09-05

2011-12 Strathroy Rockets GOJHL 36 3.85 .896
2012-13 Strathroy Rockets GOJHL 39 3.01 .918

#3 Brendan Johnston Birthdate: Jan 30, 1997
Drafted by the Spitfires 97th overall in the 5th round
0.916 save percentage and a 2.36 goals against average. Johnston’s save percentage was tied for second in the Alliance AAA league

#4 Jaroslav Pavelka Born Sep 12 1993
2011-12 Niagara IceDogs OHL 7 5.37 0.846
2011-12 Windsor Spitfires OHL 34 3.47 0.905
2012-13 Windsor Spitfires OHL 54 3.65 0.902

As someone once said opinions are like *ssholes everyone has one and you don't need mine but here goes....

I wouldn't want to go into an OHL season with a goaltending tandem that has 28 total games of experience in the OHL. No matter how much you think the possible potential is...it's just a recipe for disaster. Poor play, injuries you name it and Murphy's Law says you'll probably run into it.

So what are the Spitfires options....IMHO Once the trade window has opened again I think the Spits will in all likelihood announce a multi-player trade that will include a goaltender coming our way who has OHL experience..heading the other way I'm guessing will be Kuchmey among others.

As for Pavelka since he is an overage player as well as an Import he will remain Spit property at least until Nov 15th and should he choose to return to the OHL before then he could be traded.
You mean Jordan Dekort. Although DeKort was undrafted, having some NHL experience at the MTL camp will do him well. I expect him to obtain the starting position with the Spits this year. If he doesn't, they should trade the young netminder. Obviously goaltending takes time to develop but the Spits are very impatient with goalies and fail to give them much ice. This is ultimately why the fail to develop them IMO.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I myself would like to see Pav return as an OA.If we get Yazkov and De la Rose on board, with Pav we could realisticlly make a run.

Pav didnt have much in front of him last season and he kept us in alot of games.

I would tandem him with Kuchmey and would include DeKort in a pkg for a highend OA with a pick/s.

14/15 w/ Kuchmey/Johnston
Pavelka is 99 per cent not coming back,I doubt anybody trades for him knowing that

Old
07-11-2013, 06:25 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
You mean Jordan Dekort. Although DeKort was undrafted, having some NHL experience at the MTL camp will do him well. I expect him to obtain the starting position with the Spits this year. If he doesn't, they should trade the young netminder. Obviously goaltending takes time to develop but the Spits are very impatient with goalies and fail to give them much ice. This is ultimately why the fail to develop them IMO.
I agree with everything u say and DeKort will be given every opp to win the No 1 job
For the most part its up to him

Old
07-11-2013, 06:58 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I agree with everything u say and DeKort will be given every opp to win the No 1 job
Is Dekort going to any other mini camps for other teams or did MTL invite him to main camp/rookie tournament? even if he gets invited to the rookie tournament and not main camp it will only add to his game witch would be a huge plus for us

Old
07-11-2013, 07:29 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Don't know where Jason came from...but I agree he should be given every chance but IMHO a veteran tender is needed as backup or to make it 1A & 1B playing whoever is hot. Not that I have anything against Kuchmey but if you started out with DeKort & Kuchmey you're just asking for trouble and if you did run into trouble odds are the cost of obtaining a vet goalie at that point would be higher.
If you traded DeKort, picked up a vet to play with Kuchmey you'd be in the same boat as we are now.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
I'll do you guys a favour and save this page on my bookmarks. I'll be sure to post it to you guys in the future if you're still around lol and yes I'm the type of person who will admit when I'm wrong. But as far as I'm concerned I've seen better.
And you've seen MacKinnon play how many times exactly?

I watched him live for 2 seasons... the kid is the real deal. He will be the cornerstone player for the Avalanche for a long time.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
punch1943

Spittin' in the Wind

London is picking up yet another good player and so are a number of other teams.
Meanwhile it's as if the Spits collectively have bad breath...no signings or even hints of signings (not talking about the Imports) Certainly hope the Spits can come up with some good news at the STH Dog and Pony Show.
Speaking of season tickets I received a couple calls regarding my pair in the last couple of days including a message from one of the players.......

Old
07-11-2013, 07:46 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Pavelka is 99 per cent not coming back,I doubt anybody trades for him knowing that
I hope De la Rose commits shortly so the Pavelka era can end. As long as De la Rose hasn't committed they will hold on hope with Pavelka for some reason.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
Is Dekort going to any other mini camps for other teams or did MTL invite him to main camp/rookie tournament? even if he gets invited to the rookie tournament and not main camp it will only add to his game witch would be a huge plus for us
The Habs usually only announce their list of invites to the September rookie camp in the week before it starts. I doubt he gets invited though, he really did not stand out last week.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:11 PM
OHLTG

If I'm a betting man, I'd say 80% chance Pavelka is gone.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorGirl View Post
We can't run with all three - only 2 import spots available. If De la Rose can't get out of his commitment, then run with Pav, otherwise time to trade for a goaltender.
My bad, your right thx for the correction.I was thinking of the 3OA until end of Jan I think then down to 2OA.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I hope De la Rose commits shortly so the Pavelka era can end. As long as De la Rose hasn't committed they will hold on hope with Pavelka for some reason.

Don't know if your comment means your down on Pav or not Rayzor, but I personally admire this kid.He kept us in alot of games early and won us a few we should have lost.It could have been alot uglier without him between the pipes.At the end he just ran out of gas.I hope he at least gets an NHL tryout.He deserves as much, there is talent there.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:38 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Don't know if your comment means your down on Pav or not Rayzor, but I personally admire this kid.He kept us in alot of games early and won us a few we should have lost.It could have been alot uglier without him between the pipes.At the end he just ran out of gas.I hope he at least gets an NHL tryout.He deserves as much, there is talent there.
I am not down on Pavelka more like I just want the organization to move in a different direction. Also if you brought him back you might as well just ship out DeKort because bringing back Pavelka is a signal that DeKort isn't good enough. Also the whole idea of bringing the band back together after a very poor year has poor optics on the whole.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:54 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
At the end he just ran out of gas
Physically...or mentally?

Old
07-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Physically...or mentally?
Id have to say both......And I hear what Rayzor's saying about distancing this team from last yr's.

Pav did his job and alot of fan's would cheer for him after the barrage he would face being appreciative of his efforts.Im just saying we have to recognize him for that at least.It is time to move on though, agreed.

I have to agree also with an earlier post, that Dekort will be given his shot at staying or a OA goalie will have to be traded for if were going to make a run.I liked what i saw from Kuchmey last camp.Hope he can hold it together.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:56 PM
OHLTG

I wasn't asking so much as I was giving another perspective to consider. I don't think his performance last year was all physical. My guess is that he's on his way back home.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:39 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
London is picking up yet another good player and so are a number of other teams.
Meanwhile it's as if the Spits collectively have bad breath...no signings or even hints of signings (not talking about the Imports) Certainly hope the Spits can come up with some good news at the STH Dog and Pony Show.
Speaking of season tickets I received a couple calls regarding my pair in the last couple of days including a message from one of the players.......
London also have large head start on Windsor but look at this differently. To get to Mem Cup this year any team in west likely has to go through London unless they Saskatoon it....I doubt that.

But opportunities abound if they do this right. With HoSang heading to his prime next year they could assemble a winning roster by January with a bunch of 16 and 17 yr old kids....

How u ask.......by doing what Hunter did....unload and still play in playoffs.

And Windsor could move some nice pieces for large bounty .

Just a thought.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:45 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
London also have large head start on Windsor but look at this differently. To get to Mem Cup this year any team in west likely has to go through London unless they Saskatoon it....I doubt that.

But opportunities abound if they do this right. With HoSang heading to his prime next year they could assemble a winning roster by January with a bunch of 16 and 17 yr old kids....

How u ask.......by doing what Hunter did....unload and still play in playoffs.

And Windsor could move some nice pieces for large bounty .

Just a thought.
I understand where you're coming from and agree with a number of your thoughts.
IMHO I think I'm being realistic that this year will be a re-build year...a year to stock the cupboards. We have a large number of 94 players (most of whom will be gone next year) and with a few additions (at a reasonable cost) our chances of making the playoffs seem reasonable.
I do expect a couple of 94's to be headed out the door before the season for combinations of younger players/draft picks. The ideal situation for the team, as they approach the trading deadline, is to be good enough to make the playoffs BUT just good enough so that management doesn't get wild ideas about a run for the roses. The proper positioning would allow them to cash in a lot of the 94 talent at the Jan 12th trade deadline to teams that are building for the Memorial Cup run and yet still have enough gas in the tank to be able to get a couple of home playoff games for the fans.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
RayzorIsDull

Saw an interview with Boughner last night on Cogeco not a lot of info but here's a run down

Yazkov leaves for the Hlinka tourney in a few days, will go back to Russia and pick up stuff and come back to Windsor.

Hopeful with De la Rose he would really add a lot along with Yazkov and then ran off a list of other returning forwards Johnson, Marchese, Vail, Ho-Sang....

Doesn't sound like Pavelka is in the plans for next year

Definitely going to have a captain this year. Believes they have gotten away of having character players the last couple years, recalls the glory days about some of those championship teams and the players they had

Isn't confident about Allen or Butcher. Met with them in Sochi but doesn't look good. They still want them but not confident they will be in Windsor.

Likes his 96 and 97 core and need to build around those guys.

Overall it wasn't very interesting but I wasn't a fan of the character comment considering the same group is returning and Boughner said over the past couple years the character has been lacking.

Sounds like the search for leadership continues.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Libbs

We all know that Kerby is going to wear the C.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:29 AM
youngblood10

^^ I think, time will tell however. That they are seeing how they have gone so wrong from when they had a winning team. The drafting of coal thinking they will turn into a diamond. Instead of a diamond that they just have to polish up.
Taking US flyers when they need to build a core first with the best kids, not just the local ones on the board brought up in the minor hockey systems that feed the OHL. And yes kids with character. The lack of leadership and accountability with the team is very evident with the on ice product. The management plays a role in setting the standards. Not all players are treated the same, but the team must have core values that everyone must be held to and believe in.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:48 AM
RayzorIsDull

Spits have new jerseys

Closed Thread