HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 01:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
rychel wont be in the ahl next year
So Columbus will send back a 1st round NHL pick to play an OA year in the OHL? Well it is Columbus but no that's just silly talk, he will be in the AHL.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Sec108

Its true, why would he come next yr to a rebuilding club??

This is the year to go for it, try at least.Now we have to count on a couple good OA.

Options are running out and I don't think anyone will do us an favours in the trade dept.

It is what it is.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Just start calling Warren the Dave Kingman of GMs he's just striking out too much. A few HRs here or there but too many strikeouts.

The organization will hype up De la Rose probably coming over next year but the cupboard will be bare Rychel, Vail, Sieloff, Koekkoek will all be in the AHL which is the core of your team right now. Wouldn't be surprised if De la Rose never played a shift in a Spitfire uniform. Huge blow for this team this year and it's time Rychel just blew it up but the issue then would be Yazkov, De La Rose and another high import pick next year possibly but then you would have to get rid of one of your imports.

Just put a stick of dynamite in the team and rebuild the right way. There isn't another top 35 pick out there that Rychel can acquire for free to make this team better.

My feeling is that he will play here next yr thanks to Montreal,they rarely rush players
As well reports coming out of Buffalo where -17 US players are working out Spit pick
Ryan Moore has bee the best player there
If u project to next yr roster would look like

De La Rose-Yazkov-Verbeek
Moore-Hosang-Hughes
Luchuk-Marchese- O/A
Huddie-O/A-Leslie

Foss-Kenney-Andlauer
Trublin-Miller-Marlatt

Def
Brown-Sanvido
Murphy-Murray
Bateman-Burns
Markovic-Kotsovos

pluis maybe Morrison or Baughman

Goal
Dekort
Johnston

Also Spits will have 1st rd pick this time

Not a bad start,and based on the past rookie camp there definitely some depth
at all positions going forward and beyond
The loss of DLR for this year hurts,just means the Spits will have to utilize 2 more
O/As as well as maybe a trade for a 95 ie Harper,or a 94 with O/A poss ie Silk
and deal from a position of strength the defence
Lots of work to be done,not unlike most teams in the West

Old
07-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post

This is the year to go for it, try at least.Now we have to count on a couple good OA.

Options are running out and I don't think anyone will do us an favours in the trade dept.

It is what it is.
I disagree with 1)year to go for it 2) options are running out 3) no favours in trades.

1) you've got to be kidding. With your shining star not reporting and little else to get excited about, I have yet to see anyone who things that the Spits will even contend for a home ice advantage during playoffs let alone contending over all.
2) options aren't running out. Rebuild and do it right.
3) you have several decent pieces that could fetch you some nice prices. For example, I think Kirby will be a Knight by seasons end (refrain from puking in your mouth). His dad will swing something so that he can compete for a memorial cup which will be his last year in the league (most likely). The price for Kirby will be high, I don't think the Knights will get any cheapies this year and we certainly have the assets to give (young players, tons of picks).

I understand the faint hope of optimism, but realism has to set in.....

Old
07-16-2013, 01:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

It is what it is.
I guess you could go hunt for an OA but they really need to blow it up asap. You can't just keep saying this group will get it, that's the definition of blind faith. Move out Sieloff, Rychel, Ebert, Vail right now get some picks and a couple prospects. Move Koekkoek come January once he's had a few months to show he's recovered from his shoulder.

Lineup
HoSang-Giftopolous-Marchese
Yazkov-Johnson- OA
Moore-Verbeek-Graham
Bilcke-Hughes-Hudie

Defense
Koekkoek-Sanvido
Murphy-Bateman
Brown-Murray

Sticking with status quo right now is the definition of insanity. If this team even struggles a bit this year what will the excuse be they have a lot of 19 year olds?

Old
07-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Sec108

Have to disagree with you on the blow it up asap Rayzor, from a business standpoint they have to get some wins this yr, and make the playoffs.

Rebuilding again won't guarantee anything either, look how many teams have been it seems under a constant rebuild the last few years.right now we have players with league experience.Will they take the next step is the Q.

It will have to be looked at by Jan. end to see where we stand.But I understand your frustration.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend what do you do with your import pick then? Punt it and admit failure for the third time in 3 years? This is 2 straight years with a top 10 pick and rolling snake eyes. In a lot of places two straight poor years and failure in the import draft 2 straight years with high picks would have the GM on a short leash if not looking for other employment, it's a good thing Rychel is owner

We can talk about what other teams in the west have done but what gives you confidence that this coaching staff will get it done and get this team to play at a high level? There's nothing through the past 2 years that show me the organization will get this right. Henrique, Hall, Nemisz, Cundari etc.. aren't walking through those doors.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:10 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Have to disagree with you on the blow it up asap Rayzor, from a business standpoint they have to get some wins this yr, and make the playoffs.

Rebuilding again won't guarantee anything either, look how many teams have been it seems under a constant rebuild the last few years.right now we have players with league experience.Will they take the next step is the Q.

It will have to be looked at by Jan. end to see where we stand.But I understand your frustration.
Just being average won't put fans in the seats though and that's my point. Make the playoffs and have what 2-3 home playoff dates?

Rebuilding won't guarantee you anything but at least if you rebuild a group can learn how to win. Once all these 19 year olds are gone you will be depending on the 18 and 17 year olds because the current 18 year old crop is awful after whiffing with Maletta and Smith.

You can't look at January because the only contender is London nobody will want to compete with them so you have supply but zero demand. This is why you capitalize on the market now for teams to give contending a shot. Come January it isn't feasible to move Rychel, Vail, Ebert, Sieloff, Koekkoek all at once.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

I would agree especially the last part where I think by Jan trade deadline or just before
definitive decisions will be made
In my view not alot of separation between most teams excluding London,ie Guelph most pressing need a goalie,and 1 D min,fine upfront,Saginaw,solid in goal,defence ok not earth shattering,question marks around Webermin and Young,if Locke does not return terrible loss,Owen Sd defense wise losses Ceci,Chairlitti and Cutting,alot of O/As 5,as well can Hope do the job,Plymouth hugh losses up front if Wilson leaves I think he does they should blow it up then,SSM big losses on D in Miller,Sproul,and upfront Cousins and Alderson,maybe Schumacher,Kitchener rebuilding,Sarnia same,
Erie strong upfront and in goal,but brutal on defence
As one can see early projections show every team including Windsor has defiencies,even London with only 4 D returning needs to address that area goingforward,though they have the best 12 man forward corps ,unless Horvat or Domi stick in the NHL,I dont see both

Old
07-16-2013, 02:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend what do you do with your import pick then? Punt it and admit failure for the third time in 3 years? This is 2 straight years with a top 10 pick and rolling snake eyes. In a lot of places two straight poor years and failure in the import draft 2 straight years with high picks would have the GM on a short leash if not looking for other employment, it's a good thing Rychel is owner

We can talk about what other teams in the west have done but what gives you confidence that this coaching staff will get it done and get this team to play at a high level? There's nothing through the past 2 years that show me the organization will get this right. Henrique, Hall, Nemisz, Cundari etc.. aren't walking through those doors.
I think they went into the draft with a prepared list,Boughner said the 2 picked were amongst 5 they had and the neccessary discussions needed with agents,etc were done
They knew it was a risk re picking DEL,they knew he was signed for another year,it was known last yr DLR had a 2 year deal,and from what i was told there was enough confidence based on discussions with most of the parties involved DLR would be allowed here,so he was selected
Was Burkakovsky on their list,yes he was,however Washington told Erie to pick him and we will get him there for you
I dont think 1 player will make a differnce,especially i who has not played NA style hockey,does it sting yes,a killer no not in my view
Time will tell

Old
07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
RayzorIsDull

Going into the offseason I thought the number 1 priority was replacing the production from Khokhlachev and Aleardi they have had close to 3-4 months and not much has been done on that front unless they think Yazkov can do what Khokhlachev did.

The biggest loser in this De La Rose news might be Dekort because the organization may bring back Pavelka now and the organization really does love Pavelka. Kuchmey might end up being a loser in all of this as well.

The organization took a risk but taking a risk and failing shouldn't make it acceptable.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Sec108

If they knew DLr still had 2 yrs on contract, where is the voices of experience in the org. to not red flag this as a possible no show?And explain the possible conplications because he wasnt drafted in the 1st rd by the Habs.

Doesnt BB/WR have anyone like a scout that has been through this stuff before or is there no reasoning with them?

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but these selections should have been only on sure thing for the time being anyways just as the americans being drafted falls in the same category.So much for the confidence based on discussions.This drafting from a projections standpoint is a failure once again.This time its a projection of DLR getting out of his contract.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:03 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Going into the offseason I thought the number 1 priority was replacing the production from Khokhlachev and Aleardi they have had close to 3-4 months and not much has been done on that front unless they think Yazkov can do what Khokhlachev did.

The biggest loser in this De La Rose news might be Dekort because the organization may bring back Pavelka now and the organization really does love Pavelka. Kuchmey might end up being a loser in all of this as well.

The organization took a risk but taking a risk and failing shouldn't make it acceptable.
I doubt very much Pavelka comes back from Europe,if he did the Spits would have to
release DLR within 2 weeks after camp starts,as well if they did might as well trade
DeKort,I dont see this happening,I do think the Pavelka ship has sailed

Old
07-16-2013, 03:06 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
If they knew DLr still had 2 yrs on contract, where is the voices of experience in the org. to not red flag this as a possible no show?And explain the possible conplications because he wasnt drafted in the 1st rd by the Habs.

Doesnt BB/WR have anyone like a scout that has been through this stuff before or is there no reasoning with them?

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but these selections should have been only on sure thing for the time being anyways just as the americans being drafted falls in the same category.So much for the confidence based on discussions.This drafting from a projections standpoint is a failure once again.This time its a projection of DLR getting out of his contract.
Had he been drafted in the 1st rd by the Habs,they would have controlled his fate by way of agreements between governing bodies,by not being a 1st rder his club team decides on his fate
Draft deals are almost never for certain sometimes risks have to be taken

Old
07-16-2013, 03:10 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I think they went into the draft with a prepared list,Boughner said the 2 picked were amongst 5 they had and the neccessary discussions needed with agents,etc were done
They knew it was a risk re picking DEL,they knew he was signed for another year,it was known last yr DLR had a 2 year deal,and from what i was told there was enough confidence based on discussions with most of the parties involved DLR would be allowed here,so he was selected
Was Burkakovsky on their list,yes he was,however Washington told Erie to pick him and we will get him there for you
I dont think 1 player will make a differnce,especially i who has not played NA style hockey,does it sting yes,a killer no not in my view
Time will tell
This.

I want to see what this team can do when healthy before making any rash decisions. Blowing them up in July doesn't make sense to me.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Management knows about scoring and the potential lack thereof,based on last yrs goals
for re returning players 168 ,8th best in the league,though 7 are from the Western conf
It should be noted that the Spits have 8 Dmen able to return,and thats with no O/As
most of any team in the O,overage or otherwise
The team also expects a 20 per cent min improvement from all returning players
as well as expecting production from newcomers,Yazkov,Moore and Hughes
I am quite sure a couple of forwards 1 O/A min and one 95 or 94 born will be brought in going forward

Old
07-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Had he been drafted in the 1st rd by the Habs,they would have controlled his fate by way of agreements between governing bodies,by not being a 1st rder his club team decides on his fate
Draft deals are almost never for certain sometimes risks have to be taken
That's the point Im trying to make is........because of our sanctions situation and bad drafting the last few drafts you would think the spits would draft only sure things where no strings or red tape are attached for the time being.I guess theryre gluttons for punishment.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:18 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I doubt very much Pavelka comes back from Europe,if he did the Spits would have to
release DLR within 2 weeks after camp starts,as well if they did might as well trade
DeKort,I dont see this happening,I do think the Pavelka ship has sailed
So you get 1 year out of Pavelka same as you would with De La Rose that's if he shows up next year. I can see the Habs signing him and putting him in the AHL. Filip Forsberg went straight from Leksand to Nashville after the Capitals traded him.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
This.

I want to see what this team can do when healthy before making any rash decisions. Blowing them up in July doesn't make sense to me.
Of course it doesn't and evidently neither does the concept of supply and demand.

So hold on to what you have and try and trade all your 19 year olds at the deadline with very few buyers and other sellers that want to get rid of their 19 year olds?

Let's just say the west division is a crap show full of average and mediocre teams, you have a couple powerhouses like London, Guelph, throw in a couple teams from the east.

Players you might see available Monahan, Gaunce, Wilson, Curcuruto, Locke, Sieloff, Vail, Rychel. Good luck to the Spits trying to get a deal done with all the players that are available.

The glory days are gone OHLTG it started when Boughner left and the last remnants was when DJ went to Oshawa. All you have now is a hope and prayer that things go right for Windsor and things go wrong for 6-7 other teams in the west.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:32 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
So you get 1 year out of Pavelka same as you would with De La Rose that's if he shows up next year. I can see the Habs signing him and putting him in the AHL. Filip Forsberg went straight from Leksand to Nashville after the Capitals traded him.
Unless DLR plays consistent top 9 minutes and gets production,my feeling is he will
be here next yr at 19,not the AHL
Montreal is very pleased in how Vail is developing,one of the better players at dev camp
from what I understand
As for Pavelka not interested in having him return
In fact dont be surprised if a goalie with the last name Battisti a 95 born goalie who was
at the rookie camp and impressed management,pushes Kuchmey for the back up job,
He is 6'4" 210 lbs

Old
07-16-2013, 04:11 PM
OHLTG

I'm not saying the glory days are here, but blowing this team up now without seeing what they can do, just because DLR isn't coming over, isn't the smart move. We have a healthy roster; give it a month or to to see how they gel. Last year, they waited until January before making moves. This year, give them until the end of October. If they're not competing to the level we know they can, then bombs away.

As for the goaltending - I doubt Pavelka returns and I've felt that way since the season ended. I have no issues if they go with DeKort and either Kuchmey, another rookie, or a veteran back-up. As long as they have Koekkoek, Sieloff, Sanvido, and other in front of him, the goaltending should be fine.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Ottomatic

Pavelka will not be back. DeKort is better off with De La Rose not coming, because Warren probably would have "went for it" and that would have probably meant Jordan would have been dealt for a 19 yr old goalie. If the Spits rebuild, Dekort will be the #1 and Kuchmey will be the #2.

On second thought, DeKort probably wishes De La Rose did come over, because then he'd be traded. Windsor has a putrid record developing goalies and wherever Jordan was dealt he'd be going in as the #1 most likely - a fresh start and a better goalie development situation with the move.

If Warren trades Kerby to the Knights he should never show his face at the WFCU ever again.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:24 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Pavelka will not be back. DeKort is better off with De La Rose not coming, because Warren probably would have "went for it" and that would have probably meant Jordan would have been dealt for a 19 yr old goalie. If the Spits rebuild, Dekort will be the #1 and Kuchmey will be the #2.

If Warren trades Kerby to the Knights he should never show his face at the WFCU ever again.
Would be shocked if Kerby was dealt to London,those 2 teams have never helped each other to win a mem cup,doubt it starts now
Perfect example is DJ Smith if he were still here would never have been given asst coach job with Dale Hunter re the -18 tournament,now thats he is not here its ok now

Old
07-16-2013, 04:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'm not saying the glory days are here, but blowing this team up now without seeing what they can do, just because DLR isn't coming over, isn't the smart move. We have a healthy roster; give it a month or to to see how they gel. Last year, they waited until January before making moves. This year, give them until the end of October. If they're not competing to the level we know they can, then bombs away.

As for the goaltending - I doubt Pavelka returns and I've felt that way since the season ended. I have no issues if they go with DeKort and either Kuchmey, another rookie, or a veteran back-up. As long as they have Koekkoek, Sieloff, Sanvido, and other in front of him, the goaltending should be fine.
I am just of the opinion even if the Spits are good what does that really mean? They don't have the draft picks to deal to load up. So you go into the year stick with what you have at the expense of the future? If they had gotten some top recruits coming in eg. Schmaltz, Butcher and deal from a surplus of D it could work but you don't have that now.

Old
07-16-2013, 05:05 PM
OHLTG

If they're good and are competing every night, you see what the season holds, at least until the deadline. Don't tear a team down because one player isn't reporting.

Closed Thread