HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 10:56 AM
spits2timechamps

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=425248

I'm not sure how many rounds are in the CHL Import draft but with this decision I think it could potentially make any round outside of the 1st irrelevent.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:53 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=425248

I'm not sure how many rounds are in the CHL Import draft but with this decision I think it could potentially make any round outside of the 1st irrelevent.
Not sure what you mean by irrelevant but there are 2 rounds. The article you link to deals with import goaltenders only...There are plenty of skaters for all. The CHL import draft includes WHL,OHL and Quebec leagues so probably 70 or so picks in the 1st round alone....

Old
06-12-2013, 12:21 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Not sure what you mean by irrelevant but there are 2 rounds. The article you link to deals with import goaltenders only...There are plenty of skaters for all. The CHL import draft includes WHL,OHL and Quebec leagues so probably 70 or so picks in the 1st round alone....
Just that I thought alot more team passed on picking in second round. And even tho there are 70 or so picks how many of those players make the team? with 8 goalies drafted for the two rounds that also means 8 more players picked in 1st round. So maybe it won't make the second round irrelevant but it might turn the 2nd round into a flier picking draft for some teams. Especially in the later picks.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend how confident are you that this new defensive system is going to pay off. I know Boston runs it but they also have

Chara 6'9 255
Boychuk 6'2 225
McQuaid 6'4 197
Seidenberg 6'1 210

the only severely undersized D is Tory Krug but he's brought some offensive punch from the blueline. You also need the forwards to buy in and back check like mad, you can't protect the house if you have forwards hanging around center ice waiting to start a rush. I would also add the time to implement a new system could take a toll on the team early on and this year more so than any other it's imperative to get off to a good start. The last couple years they have been kind of slow out of the gates and by that I mean hanging around .500 then comes a huge stretch where they go winless for 7-8. A slow start the fan interest will wane and it could be quite ugly.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:31 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend how confident are you that this new defensive system is going to pay off. I know Boston runs it but they also have

Chara 6'9 255
Boychuk 6'2 225
McQuaid 6'4 197
Seidenberg 6'1 210

the only severely undersized D is Tory Krug but he's brought some offensive punch from the blueline. You also need the forwards to buy in and back check like mad, you can't protect the house if you have forwards hanging around center ice waiting to start a rush. I would also add the time to implement a new system could take a toll on the team early on and this year more so than any other it's imperative to get off to a good start. The last couple years they have been kind of slow out of the gates and by that I mean hanging around .500 then comes a huge stretch where they go winless for 7-8. A slow start the fan interest will wane and it could be quite ugly.
Actually I think if everybody including forwards buy in it will work,with the exception of Murphy who by the way has added 15 lbs who is small like Krug,everybody else if u consider Ebert,Seiloff,Brown,KoekKoek,Sanvido and Murray over 6 ft and 195 lbs,i am figuring Bateman will be moved for a forward,size not really an issue on the back end
I just think everbody has to buy in
U are right a slow start wont be good,though as we speak I see London,Guelph and Saginaw the cream of the conference and the rest battling things out
Sarnia,Kitchener,Owen Sd,Plymouth,Sault all suffered significant lossed,while Erie has yet to improve their defense,while Windsor has concerns in goal and upfront,though Windsor may have the best coming back in the conference with everybody able to return all 10 plus rookies Burns,Murray,maybe Butcher,aand other prospects such as
Morrisson,Kotsovos and Baughman,certainly a crowded blueline 16 possibles and thats not including Markovic who impressed at rookie camp and Ryker Killins who had a nice yr in Jr B as 16 year old,litt;e small though might be better up front
They defended well at the start of the season 1st 34 games,Pavelka was 3..20 and Dekort was 3.12 decent numbers,team could not score enough

Old
06-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Spitzman

A couple thoughts on our Defence core, further to the post about the Bruins top 4.

In looking at what the Bruins are currently riding, keeping the Penguins to two goals in four games.

Chara - 2nd round pick (56th overall...early questions about his foot speed)
Boychuk - 2nd round pick (61st overall)
Seidenberg - 6th round pick (172nd overall)
Ference - 8th round pick ( 208th overall)

Heights and weights listed earlier...they are all good sized, and Chara is a giant....an anomaly for hockey players.

The Spits will be leaning heavily (as of right now, at least) on their top 4....

Koekkoek - 1 st round pick ( 10th overall) 6'2"
Sieloff - 2nd round pick (42nd overall). 6'1"
Ebert - 7th round pick ( 210th overall) 6'1"
Sanvido - currently undrafted, but oftentimes included in Top 50 for next year's draft. One of only a few successful 16 year old D who played regularly last season. 6'6"

Alway keep in mind the OHL is, generally speaking, a two-line league. Add to that Murphy and Bateman, who add an offensive element, as well as some youth with potential, and you really have a defence corp which is arguably one of the top in the league. Potential wise, they stack up with the above listed Bruins group, although they are all a million miles away from that professional success. If I can borrow from a regular poster, IMHO, I see a Spits team that will significantly reduce the Goals Against next season. A lot of other things need to fall into place......particularly a commitment to defence from the forward group, but I like where this is going.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Spitzman

Solid post,good comparatives as u have read I share your confidence

Old
06-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Monty81

Entering his NHL draft year, Spitfires fans can expect a breakout season from Josh Ho-Sang.

http://www.windsoressexsports.com/20...-from-ho-sang/

Old
06-16-2013, 04:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Heard that season ticket numbers are really down this year. With new owners taking the business/community side of things this will be a big test for them in how they bring the fans back.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:02 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Heard that season ticket numbers are really down this year. With new owners taking the business/community side of things this will be a big test for them in how they bring the fans back.
What a surprise!What a surprise? Ticket numbers are down.

Here is a suggestion that the new folks can use free of charge. I'm sure other teams have done this BUT I don't recall the Spits doing it.

Once the NHL draft and the CHL Import draft are completed or after the Spitfires have made most of the off season moves they're going to make they should buy some time from Cogeco and set up a Telethon type show using the new/old players answering the phones. It could be an Early Bird Season Ticket Extravaganza featuring interviews with the players. A lot of these could be taped, interspersed with highlight packages. The show could be 30-60 min long and be repeated a couple of times during the week.
The key idea being the prospective Season Ticket Buyer would get to talk directly with one of the teams players..

just a thought.....

Old
06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Crottenham

Robbie Demontis' twitter account suggests he has signed with Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:42 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Robbie Demontis' twitter account suggests he has signed with Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL.
Probably a smart move for him he still has interest from ivy league schools. Until Windsor starts showing they can start developing talent again and being a very competitive team this stuff will happen. Warren can get started moulding this team into being more competitive anytime now.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:37 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Probably a smart move for him he still has interest from ivy league schools. Until Windsor starts showing they can start developing talent again and being a very competitive team this stuff will happen. Warren can get started moulding this team into being more competitive anytime now.
Gotta agree and not surprised by his move at all. If WR's dreams become reality and he gets a pair of scorers from the Import draft and with luck a U.S. player comes aboard as well as a pair of O/A players there wouldn't be much playing time for Demontis.
By going the USHL route he gets playing time and keeps all his options open including the Spits.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Gotta agree and not surprised by his move at all. If WR's dreams become reality and he gets a pair of scorers from the Import draft and with luck a U.S. player comes aboard as well as a pair of O/A players there wouldn't be much playing time for Demontis.
By going the USHL route he gets playing time and keeps all his options open including the Spits.
Not totally surprised was hopeful he would sign as punch says signing with USHL keeps
his options open,not going to judge yet,until after Euro draft and Aug trading season
Spits signing 1st 5 picks from the draft and the best forward Cameron Hughes at rookie
camp and a big body forward is somewhat encouraging
Will be interested to see what happens re Leslie,Morrisson and the 3 Americans,Butcher,Allen and Baughman
It should be noted that 3 of those are D-guys,where the Spits have 10 including O/A,Zack Percy able to return with OHL experience plus the 2 they have signed Murray and Burns,plus again,
2 youngsters Kotsovos and Markovic who who will nipping at the heels
While I know all 10 returning wont make it Percy,McNaughton and Bowen unlikely with Bowen probably moved after camp,certainly a crowded blueline

Old
06-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Not totally surprised was hopeful he would sign as punch says signing with USHL keeps
his options open,not going to judge yet,until after Euro draft and Aug trading season
Spits signing 1st 5 picks from the draft and the best forward Cameron Hughes at rookie
camp and a big body forward is somewhat encouraging
Will be interested to see what happens re Leslie,Morrisson and the 3 Americans,Butcher,Allen and Baughman
It should be noted that 3 of those are D-guys,where the Spits have 10 including O/A,Zack Percy able to return with OHL experience plus the 2 they have signed Murray and Burns,plus again,
2 youngsters Kotsovos and Markovic who who will nipping at the heels
While I know all 10 returning wont make it Percy,McNaughton and Bowen unlikely with Bowen probably moved after camp,certainly a crowded blueline
Burns is going to be a nice d-man, but seems pretty slight physically to play any meaningful minutes in the OHL next year. Needs to mature and add weight/muscle....

Old
06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
RayzorIsDull

I agree Legend just getting a little antsy I guess. We all know it's about the import draft and maybe getting an American recruit but that shouldn't preclude the organization from improving and getting better. We know about the 5 draft picks this year that signed and Hughes. I prefer to look at that more for the year after and going forward. If you see Moore, Luchuk, Murray, Burns, Hughes all playing in games at the same time for the Spits something went horribly wrong imo.

Also a couple weeks ago reading about DeMontis I didn't particularly like the pressure tactics of Boughner saying he has to make a decision quickly because roster spots are filling up. This might be one of the most important decisions for DeMontis and what follows in his hockey career. The last thing a kid should have to feel is pressure to make a decision. Furthermore let's be honest Boughner and Rychel aren't doing this same pressure tactic with guys like Allen, Butcher etc.. So the message is if you're super talented likely to get selected in the NHL draft take your time but if you're just 17 you have to make a decision immediately because spots are being taken. Boughner did this with Schmaltz as well it might be time to start changing your recruiting pitch especially with the past couple years.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I agree Legend just getting a little antsy I guess. We all know it's about the import draft and maybe getting an American recruit but that shouldn't preclude the organization from improving and getting better. We know about the 5 draft picks this year that signed and Hughes. I prefer to look at that more for the year after and going forward. If you see Moore, Luchuk, Murray, Burns, Hughes all playing in games at the same time for the Spits something went horribly wrong imo.

Also a couple weeks ago reading about DeMontis I didn't particularly like the pressure tactics of Boughner saying he has to make a decision quickly because roster spots are filling up. This might be one of the most important decisions for DeMontis and what follows in his hockey career. The last thing a kid should have to feel is pressure to make a decision. Furthermore let's be honest Boughner and Rychel aren't doing this same pressure tactic with guys like Allen, Butcher etc.. So the message is if you're super talented likely to get selected in the NHL draft take your time but if you're just 17 you have to make a decision immediately because spots are being taken. Boughner did this with Schmaltz as well it might be time to start changing your recruiting pitch especially with the past couple years.
I would agree playing all 6 new signed players at the same time unlikely,I expect 3 of the 16 year olds,Johnston,Burns,and Luchuck playing B hockey with cups of coffee in the O,start of season and ironically the outdoor game with maybe Rycel,Vail,Koekoek,Ebert,Seiloff and 1 of the Euros away at World Jrs,and possibly post trade dea

Old
06-17-2013, 02:03 PM
hockeylegend11

[QUOTE=hockeylegend11;67593743]I would agree playing all 6 new signed players at the same time unlikely,I expect 3 of the 16 year olds,Johnston,Burns,and Luchuck playing B hockey with cups of coffee in the O,start of season and ironically the outdoor game with maybe Rycel,Vail,Koekoek,Ebert,Seiloff and 1 of the Euros away at World Jrs,and possibly post trade dea[/QUOTE

Perhaps regarding Schmaltz,and also Demontis Windsor was dangling an enticing edc package and needs to know who is going to sign
As well others such as Baughman,Leslie,Morrison are on their radar
Its like if one is not signing move on to the next,and the next,but some answers are needed
The USHL is having main tryouts now which is Demontis was at this past weekend in Muskegon
Windsor has been signing earlier this year then in the past,not neccesarily a bad thing
We all know in reality there is only a limited amt of spots available for most teams,especially for those who may be dangling edc packs

Old
06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would agree playing all 6 new signed players at the same time unlikely,I expect 3 of the 16 year olds,Johnston,Burns,and Luchuck playing B hockey with cups of coffee in the O,start of season and ironically the outdoor game with maybe Rycel,Vail,Koekoek,Ebert,Seiloff and 1 of the Euros away at World Jrs,and possibly post trade dea
IMHO the new draft picks excepting Moore, will probably rotate between Lasalle and the Spits in order to get them both some experience at the OHL level and the extra ice time Jr B will bring. The fact that the owners of the Vipers are also part owners of the Spits will be an advantage for sure.
I've been hoping that one of Allen or Butcher will jump the NCAA ship for the Spits but lately I've been seeing Baughman's name pop up at the same time as theirs.
If he's good enough to make the Spits fine and dandy but he didn't play at the same high level of competition last year as Butcher & Allen so I'm wondering why he's being included in a grouping with them or did I miss something along the way.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
IMHO the new draft picks excepting Moore, will probably rotate between Lasalle and the Spits in order to get them both some experience at the OHL level and the extra ice time Jr B will bring. The fact that the owners of the Vipers are also part owners of the Spits will be an advantage for sure.
I've been hoping that one of Allen or Butcher will jump the NCAA ship for the Spits but lately I've been seeing Baughman's name pop up at the same time as theirs.
If he's good enough to make the Spits fine and dandy but he didn't play at the same high level of competition last year as Butcher & Allen so I'm wondering why he's being included in a grouping with them or did I miss something along the way.
I agree with your 1st sentence re the new guys,as for Baughman u are right Spits were concerned that he did not play at a higher level last yr unlike Allen and Butcher,though he is a year younger,I think like myself that Spits brass were impressed with Baughman at rookie camp,he played very well overall,after a brief shaky start,was involved physically as well ,he made intelligent decisions with and without the pick,plus his size is enticing too
Alot of upside to this boy,would mind if the Spits signed him
I could see both he and Allen signing,with Butcher who knows,with a new coach in Denver,plus a higher draft rating,I am sure half the teams interviewing him asked about him playing in Jr
I feel a lot will be known just prior or after the draft as it relates to these 3 guys

Old
06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
RayzorIsDull

I thought about that Legend but if he's that talented you should probably wait patiently for his decision. I think we both know the past 2 years goal scoring has been a real sore spot the 2 years back to back is some of the lowest output in Windsor Spitfires history. Spits season ended exactly 3 months ago today and we can't really say they are a better team today compared to when the season ended. Might have a better future with the young kids signed but as for this year the jury is still out. If the next 3 months are similar to the past 3 I doubt people would be happy.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:51 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I thought about that Legend but if he's that talented you should probably wait patiently for his decision. I think we both know the past 2 years goal scoring has been a real sore spot the 2 years back to back is some of the lowest output in Windsor Spitfires history. Spits season ended exactly 3 months ago today and we can't really say they are a better team today compared to when the season ended. Might have a better future with the young kids signed but as for this year the jury is still out. If the next 3 months are similar to the past 3 I doubt people would be happy.
I know what u are saying Rayzor,re the scoring,the Spits are really trying in my opinion,I know they have been to Wisconsin re Butcher,been in constant contact with Allen,they seemed to do their homework re the upcoming Euro draft only 1 of 3 Ohl teams there from what I was told
Still think there will be moves to address O/As re trades,as well as trading for a non over ager,thinking 2 or 3 forwards
To address the scoring I think there will be 4 or 5 by the time it shakes out
2 thru the euro draft,1-2 O/As,a non overage trade and a signing{Allen}
Time will tell,still early yet lol

Old
06-17-2013, 03:12 PM
SimonKnightsman

Legend what is Rychel and Boughner,s plans for the immediate future. The Spits look like they could go two ways....quite a few guys prolly entering their final year with good value and a younger group 2 yrs younger. To fold that together they go young or go for it moving young assets early winter to fill in around Kerby.....this is the type of roster you see many GMs make mistakes with being impatient .

Gotta think they look at offers for the Kerb or Koekoe maybe ? Jan 11 area on calendar .

Unless the whole west is that much weaker this year and maybe h goes the other way.

Big time poker player to get involved in this stuff though...lemme know what ya think.

Sarnia might have some nice pieces to raffle with JB gone and that team likely to step back.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Legend what is Rychel and Boughner,s plans for the immediate future. The Spits look like they could go two ways....quite a few guys prolly entering their final year with good value and a younger group 2 yrs younger. To fold that together they go young or go for it moving young assets early winter to fill in around Kerby.....this is the type of roster you see many GMs make mistakes with being impatient .

Gotta think they look at offers for the Kerb or Koekoe maybe ? Jan 11 area on calendar .

Unless the whole west is that much weaker this year and maybe h goes the other way.

Big time poker player to get involved in this stuff though...lemme know what ya think.

Sarnia might have some nice pieces to raffle with JB gone and that team likely to step back.

Simon

Not really sure what direction Spits are headed
As I see it as of now,I see London,Guelph and Saginaw as the best 3 after that,although my mind might change if Saggy does not get Locke and Young back
a real dog fight for the rest
You might be right might not know until Jan trade deadline,will Rychel dump at or
near deadline,or does he go semi all in like he did 3 years ago,too early to tell
wont hazard to guess yet
Want to see what happens the rest of summer and camp before making any prognastications

Old
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Good move for the player. With all due respect, hes more along the lines of an Anthony Cortellessa style of player, more of a depth guy versus a top end guy, which is what he wanted to be.

Best move for both parties in my opinion.

Closed Thread