HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Phil Kessel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2013, 03:24 PM
  #101
Beaudangles19
Registered User
 
Beaudangles19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Letang?

Beaudangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:52 PM
  #102
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
Letang?
I think thats very close to fair value. Both only have a year left on their contracts. Both are among the best at their respective positions, but with holes to their games.

The drawback for the Leafs is that we already have Gardiner + Rielly + Phaneuf and to a lesser extent Franson in terms of PP Quarterbacks / PMDs for the longterm. And then longterm JvR/Lupul would be the only legit scoring wingers in the organization, so that would need to be addressed somehow.

The benefit though is that Letang is a Right Handed shot, and would be by FAR the best RHD in the organization (Franson/Komi/O'Byrne/Kostka/Holzer/Granberg/Blacker are the current top names for that...). Another benefit is that defencemen tend to peak later than forwards, so Letang may round out his game in the coming years.

I would highly consider it, and then see about moving Gardiner for a forward or for a high pick in this draft to target one of the top forwards.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
  #103
Gavy
Registered User
 
Gavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post

Reimer looks good because of the sytem he plays in under Randy Carlyle. The years before Randy, he didn't look so great.
So Reimer looks good under Carlyle's system of getting out shot every night? You don't know what you're talking about

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:02 PM
  #104
Aela*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I'm sorry but it appears no one has any knowledge about hockey. Being nice doesn't win you hockey games. I could care less if Kessel is the spawn of satan or not. It would even help his game, as long as he didn't take stupid penalties in between whistles.

If Kessel is traded, it should be a #1/2 RH, defensive, ton of minute defenseman, a high impact, high risk high reward prospect, and a top 9, GOOD winger coming back, at the very least.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
  #105
Atomos2
Auston 20:16
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,966
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Phil Kessel had no say where he was going to go, Maybe he liked Toronto but bottom line that had nothing to do with him landing there it had more to do with, Toronto having the pieces for him that Boston wanted.
I don't know if this is true or not, but I looked at the press conference after the trade and a reporter asked him why he chose Toronto and Kessel answered.



If you have an answer for it please let me know cuz I'm not sure. (around 3:10)

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:48 PM
  #106
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!
 
Erik Alfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,235
vCash: 500
Kessel will walk next year and go to Minnisota, making Heatley's contract.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:12 PM
  #107
The Big D
Registered User
 
The Big D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
because he picked Toronto because he was an RFA and could have signed anywhere
Boston picked Toronto, Phil wasn't playing in Boston. That's all we knew then. If Toronto had insisted on the picks being "protected" in any sort of way I'm sure #81 would be playing in Nashville. That's not to say he hasn't grown to enjoy it in Toronto and won't resign, because as you previously mentioned- the leafs are the wealthiest team and have no serious cap issues. I'd peg it at 80/20 he resigns but, that's not because "He chose Toronto"

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:47 PM
  #108
Atomos2
Auston 20:16
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,966
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
Letang?
Good value but I'd prefer a defensive dman


Last edited by Atomos2: 06-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:50 PM
  #109
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Kessel will walk next year and go to Minnisota, making Heatley's contract.
Before you try to troll us take a look at the wild's cap space

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:53 PM
  #110
nazembiggs*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Kessel will walk next year and go to Minnisota, making Heatley's contract.
Very likely not gonna lie, it's a great fit for him and maybe when he leaves toronto he'll start to get some of the respect he deserves. However I think if he isn't extended by the deadline, they will trade him to avoid this from happening.

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
  #111
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Very likely not gonna lie, it's a great fit for him and maybe when he leaves toronto he'll start to get some of the respect he deserves. However I think if he isn't extended by the deadline, they will trade him to avoid this from happening.
take a look at their cap and the players that need extensions he's not going home.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
  #112
nazembiggs*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
take a look at their cap and the players that need extensions he's not going home.
He would just take up heaters 7 million when he walks, they free up 6 million this year by letting backstrom go or sign him for less. Pomenville won't be getting an upgrade from the his 4.5 so his cap space stays the same. Players like Gilbert, Rupp, and Setoguchi won't be getting huge raises either. The only problem I can see them running into is their RFA's Granlund, Brodin, and Coyle who will need new deals in a couple of years. If the cap goes up thou and there able to shred some salary, they also shouldn't be a problem.

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:24 AM
  #113
MapleLeafsFan75
Registered User
 
MapleLeafsFan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,950
vCash: 500
If Toronto needed to trade Kessel I say his value should be more then what the Leafs originally gave Boston. So at least two 1st round picks, 2nd round pick, a top prospect, and a current roster player of equal or greater value.

MapleLeafsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:44 AM
  #114
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Boston picked Toronto, Phil wasn't playing in Boston. That's all we knew then. If Toronto had insisted on the picks being "protected" in any sort of way I'm sure #81 would be playing in Nashville. That's not to say he hasn't grown to enjoy it in Toronto and won't resign, because as you previously mentioned- the leafs are the wealthiest team and have no serious cap issues. I'd peg it at 80/20 he resigns but, that's not because "He chose Toronto"
What????
He was an rfa. He
Could choose to sign an offer sheet. He could choose to sign with whatever team. Nash woildnt trade for him if he wouldnt sign.

He picked
Toronto. He did.

Whether he will sign here again after a te ridiclous whining and media attention is something entirely different.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:59 AM
  #115
Leafsforlife98
Registered User
 
Leafsforlife98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Nashville was interested in Kessel but he was sent to Leafs for a reason
The reason being that Toronto OVERPAID GREATLY for him. That is why he is on Toronto and not somewhere else. It's that simple.

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:09 AM
  #116
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 60,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's clean it up a bit in here... thread is rolling down hill.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:35 AM
  #117
Kaoz*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
Kessel averages like 30-35 goals.

Frattin in a fulltime top 6 role probably gets 15-20.


So the drop off is not that extreme.
We used to see the exact same argument when Kessel was in Boston, and it still makes absolutely no sense.

Kessel may average 30-35 goals, but his presence on the ice creates a hell of a lot more. He pushes the defense back and creates space for everyone on his line. His presence and ability to produce against top teams also means other folks on the team don't get the same type of focus.

Leafs would be silly to deal him.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
  #118
goleafsgo
Registered User
 
goleafsgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: In front of TV
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
Leaf fans will probably hate me and can blast away, but I have a weird feeling that Phil Kessel is going to be on his way out at the draft.


With the way Dave Nonis was talking about him at the season ending meetings, saying he is one of the best players in the league, and only getting better, which he is, that is not something you say when you are about to re-negotiate someone's contract. You say something like that when you are trying to inflate the value of the player to move elsewhere. SO either Dave Nonis is a moron, or he is trying to increase his value to move him on.


With Bozak's increasing contract demands, he is most likely on his way out, and if he does move on, it makes Toronto a less attractive destination for Kessel to stay at. Kessel is going to cash in no matter where he goes, so why would he re-sign in a market not in his style (Extreme Media coverage etc.) when they just let his best friend leave the team over money?


Dave Nonis is smart enough to see this coming, and I think he will move him at the draft. If there is one position the Leafs are deep at, it is the wings, and though losing Kessel would hurt, they do have come players ready to contribute on the wings to replace Kessel's production (Lupul, JVR, Kulemin, Frattin) and potential free agents as well (Iginla, Clarkson, Horton, Clowe, Ryder, Jagr, etc...) Plus the Leafs are already good at scoring goals, and losing a goal scorer could be managed.



I think Kessel gets (moved or Packaged) for a potential #1 center or #1 defenceman.


What do you think?

Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak's rights for..................
I'm trying to figure out where you got the idea that Toronto will be a seller. IMO, Toronto is trying to dump the dead weight and get the remaining parts needed for a serious playoff run. Phil Kessel is a cornerstone of the Leafs. On top of that, the price that Burke paid to bring Kessel to Toronto. I just don't see Kessel going anywhere.

And seeing how heavily Carlyle depended on Bozak during seven games the Leafs were in the playoffs, I'd be surprised if Bozak left the team.

goleafsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:34 PM
  #119
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
We used to see the exact same argument when Kessel was in Boston, and it still makes absolutely no sense.

Kessel may average 30-35 goals, but his presence on the ice creates a hell of a lot more. He pushes the defense back and creates space for everyone on his line. His presence and ability to produce against top teams also means other folks on the team don't get the same type of focus.

Leafs would be silly to deal him.
Good post.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:40 PM
  #120
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
I am guessing you would want Phaneuf at 7+ million on a long term deal then.

And if you honestly think James Reimer can not be upgraded on, with his minor league glove hand, ur crazy. If Nonis sees an upgrade on Reimer, and can make a trade, he will do it in a heartbeat.


Reimer looks good because of the sytem he plays in under Randy Carlyle. The years before Randy, he didn't look so great.
lol did you just seriously say this? lol. Reimer looks good because of Randy Carlyle and his oh so great system? Give me a ****ing break. It's more like the other way around. James Reimer made Randy Carlyle look good. The biggest reason this team even qualified for the playoffs was James Reimer.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:46 PM
  #121
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
lol did you just seriously say this? lol. Reimer looks good because of Randy Carlyle and his oh so great system? Give me a ****ing break. It's more like the other way around. James Reimer made Randy Carlyle look good. The biggest reason this team even qualified for the playoffs was James Reimer.
Nope it was Jay McClement fixing our PK pretty much by himself

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:54 PM
  #122
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 28,209
vCash: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
If Toronto needed to trade Kessel I say his value should be more then what the Leafs originally gave Boston. So at least two 1st round picks, 2nd round pick, a top prospect, and a current roster player of equal or greater value.
Are you being serious here? 2 1sts + 2nd + Blue chip + roster player of equal or greater value? So a team trading for Kessel would trade a player as good as Kessel plus 4 other assets. Yikes

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:56 PM
  #123
Dark Knight
Maple Leafs.
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,485
vCash: 500
I'm not for dealing Kessel at any realistic cost, which includes Kris Letang.

Not that Pittsburgh fans would want that but just putting it out there that I wholeheartedly don't either.

__________________
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l553/noiseboi/William_Nylander_siggy2.png
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:57 PM
  #124
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Nope it was Jay McClement fixing our PK pretty much by himself
Scott Gordon running the PK and Jay McClement's presence on it were instrumental for us finishing 2nd in the league on the PK. They also eliminated the whole fronting aspect to their PK which was a huge issue in years past. However, goaltending was easily the biggest reason the Leafs made the playoffs and James Reimer was outstanding this year. The Leafs got heavily outshot game after game and contrary to popular belief, a good portion of those shots were from the dangerous areas of the ice. Reimer simply gave this team a chance to win every night and propelled them to the playoffs.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:27 AM
  #125
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 36,373
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
kessel will resign barring an overpayment. he's an elite winger. bottom line.

as for those talking about his earlier days with boston... he's matured. he's not a kid anymore.

Porn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.