HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2013, 12:20 PM
  #76
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
So not a good skater but a good hitter? Normally those things don't go together? Does he take a lot of bad penalties?
Decent skater for a guy that is 6'6". He does have a tendency to do that.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
  #77
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
So not a good skater but a good hitter? Normally those things don't go together? Does he take a lot of bad penalties?
No he's a good skater. I don't understand why there's a small group that think he's not. As you allude to that's why he's a good hitter, and that's why he was finally able to stick in the NHL, because he improved his skating so much. Most goons can't skate fast enough to catch up to players to hit them, so they never really do.

I disagree with Henchman too in taking a lot of penalties. For a guy in his role, he's pretty disciplined. Most guys take way more bad penalties than him, and he actually played more than the usual enforcer. Since his skating isn't a detriment, he doesn't take a lot of interference or hooking type penalties either.

Foppa2118 is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:25 PM
  #78
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
No he's a good skater. I don't understand why there's a small group that think he's not. As you allude to that's why he's a good hitter, and that's why he was finally able to stick in the NHL, because he improved his skating so much. Most goons can't skate fast enough to catch up to players to hit them, so they never really do.

I disagree with Henchman too in taking a lot of penalties. For a guy in his role, he's pretty disciplined. Most guys take way more bad penalties than him, and he actually played more than the usual enforcer.
Intriguing. I know Sather likes to have a guy in that role every year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers take a look come UFA if he is still un-signed. Thanks!!

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #79
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
So not a good skater but a good hitter? Normally those things don't go together? Does he take a lot of bad penalties?
Bordy is a good skater, but people around here expect everyone to fly around like Matt Duchene. He doesn't get penalties because he delivers late hits, it's just that every single hit he dishes out on somebody looks brutal because of his size.

Just look at this hit as an example, he glides in the hit but gets called for charging. Joke of a call.



Another one on Backlund:

http://video.avalanche.nhl.com/video...79&event=COL85


Ivan13 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #80
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
No he's a good skater. I don't understand why there's a small group that think he's not. As you allude to that's why he's a good hitter, and that's why he was finally able to stick in the NHL, because he improved his skating so much. Most goons can't skate fast enough to catch up to players to hit them, so they never really do.

I disagree with Henchman too in taking a lot of penalties. For a guy in his role, he's pretty disciplined. Most guys take way more bad penalties than him, and he actually played more than the usual enforcer. Since his skating isn't a detriment, he doesn't take a lot of interference or hooking type penalties either.
I think he had 6 fights this year, which would mean he took 20 minor penalties in 46 games. For a guy that averaged ~6 minutes per game I would say that is a bit high. Not alarmingly high, but high. I would be much more comfortable next year if that was cut in half.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  #81
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 531
Bordy is really good in his role as a 4th liner and partial enforcer. would love for him to stick around.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  #82
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
No he's a good skater. I don't understand why there's a small group that think he's not. As you allude to that's why he's a good hitter, and that's why he was finally able to stick in the NHL, because he improved his skating so much. Most goons can't skate fast enough to catch up to players to hit them, so they never really do.

I disagree with Henchman too in taking a lot of penalties. For a guy in his role, he's pretty disciplined. Most guys take way more bad penalties than him, and he actually played more than the usual enforcer. Since his skating isn't a detriment, he doesn't take a lot of interference or hooking type penalties either.
Agreed, he had 15 minors in 46 games, so nothing to scoff at there.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:33 PM
  #83
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Bordy is a good skater, but people around here expect everyone to fly around like Matt Duchene. He doesn't get penalties because he delivers late hits, it's just that every single hit he dishes out on somebody looks brutal because of his size.
I agree 100% with this. His ability to lay huge hits means that he is given almost no leniency with the refs.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #84
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,077
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think he had 6 fights this year, which would mean he took 20 minor penalties in 46 games. For a guy that averaged ~6 minutes per game I would say that is a bit high. Not alarmingly high, but high. I would be much more comfortable next year if that was cut in half.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...d=nhl-keymatch

Only 11 non-roughing/fighting/misconduct penalties.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #85
18007
Balls on the table!
 
18007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boone, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 140
I like him, would rather keep him.

18007 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #86
Lefty9420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Part of the problem with the Avs D in the past, or prospects in general was coaching. The Avs had not had a history of hiring high quality AHL coaches, But especially guys like Boychuck, Brett Clark and others that played in Hershey really suffered. Hershey had two of the worst coaches in the AHL under the AVs agreement, in Paul Fixter and Mike Foligno. These guys were horrible and no doubt played part in their development or lack thereof. Guys like Boychuck, Clark, Svatos, Hinote, Messier and Larson all were able to eventually develop and have some NHL level success, but I often wonder how many guys got lost in the shuffle and couldn't recover because their early pro coaching set them back or they gave up on them too soon.

Lefty9420 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #87
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...d=nhl-keymatch

Only 11 non-roughing/fighting/misconduct penalties.
I stand corrected. 11-15 (if you count the roughing) in 46 games is actually pretty good for a player in his role.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:40 PM
  #88
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,288
vCash: 500
To be clear, I think Bordy, most like anyone, can skate at decent speed once he gets going. But the first few feet isn't exactly quick. That kind of slowness.

I'd keep him around.

RobinDIF is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
  #89
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,077
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I stand corrected. 11-15 (if you count the roughing) in 46 games is actually pretty good for a player in his role.
Agreed. Avs better keep him, he's a perfect 12/13 forward and he knows his role on the team and doesn't try to play beyond his means. Great teammate, big hitter, decent skating and hands (certainly good enough for a 4th liner) and probably the best fighter in the league.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
  #90
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Bickell.

Would you want him? How high would you go?
Come on. At least someone must answer me here.

RobinDIF is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:42 PM
  #91
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,269
vCash: 400
I don't know what you guys are even arguing about. Bordy is a great 4th line fighter because of what has already been pointed out. He is a good skater and gets in on the forcheck. He isn't useless like most slug fighters in the league. Teams play better with a fighter in their lineup. We have to keep him, it would be ridiculous to let him go because we will just be looking for another guy like him immediately.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
  #92
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Come on. At least someone must answer me here.
Joel Ward 2.0.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:44 PM
  #93
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Come on. At least someone must answer me here.
I would want him, but the price is going to be too high for what he provides. I would probably go up to 3.25 per (still pushing it for me as I would prefer him at 2.75), but I think he gets closer to 4. Some team will overpay because of his playoffs and his size.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:47 PM
  #94
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,269
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Bickell.

Would you want him? How high would you go?
Hard to say. I know whenever we play him he always seems to score against us. He is a big guy, and he has a great shot. It sort of depends on what type of team we are going to be. If we are going to keep 3 scoring lines then I think he would be a good option. He would probably be decent with Stastny or ROR because he could grind down low and cycle the puck. I would rather have Bickell than Clowe. Both are similar players.


I think he will be looking for 3+ mil. And it seems they always get more than what they are asking.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:47 PM
  #95
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Teams play better with a fighter in their lineup. We have to keep him, it would be ridiculous to let him go because we will just be looking for another guy like him immediately.
That's one of the most overstated myths in the NHL. The four current conference finalists don't even use an enforcer regularly. It's one of the most diminished roles in the entire NHL.

Huis Clos* is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:47 PM
  #96
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 50
Bickell's a good player who will be heavily overpaid this summer. Pass.

TwoPadStack is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:50 PM
  #97
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think he had 6 fights this year, which would mean he took 20 minor penalties in 46 games. For a guy that averaged ~6 minutes per game I would say that is a bit high. Not alarmingly high, but high. I would be much more comfortable next year if that was cut in half.
He also took a misconduct penalty early in the year, so essentially that's 30 minutes in minors in 46 games, and how many of those are matching minors where he had a skirmish with another guy and the refs called both?

He can always improve just a little, but penalties are not a big concern at all IMO.

Edit: I see you amended your stance a little so we're more or less on the same page.

Foppa2118 is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  #98
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,269
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
That's one of the most overstated myths in the NHL. The four current conference finalists don't even use an enforcer regularly. It's one of the most diminished roles in the entire NHL.
So we shouldn't keep him?

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:56 PM
  #99
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
That's one of the most overstated myths in the NHL. The four current conference finalists don't even use an enforcer regularly. It's one of the most diminished roles in the entire NHL.
Neither of the Western teams have been using their backup goaltenders either. We should probably ditch Jiggy while we're at it.

Foppa2118 is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
  #100
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Neither of the Western teams have been using their backup goaltenders either. We should probably ditch Jiggy while we're at it.
Now that's funny!

expatriated_texan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.