HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2013, 01:18 PM
  #101
Teuras
Registered offender
 
Teuras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,463
vCash: 1175
Bords is perfect on the 4th line, he brings size and uses it effectively.. also average with the puck. he'll fit right in with the team

Teuras is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:43 PM
  #102
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Bords was a glue player. He would get so excited for the guys when we scored, and when he scored the bench would explode. He's a solid skater for his size and can really hit. Decent hands, too. Great 4th liner, no reason to let him go just to have to find somebody else to fill that spot, who probably wouldn't even be a better option than Bords. I remember the game where Sami got the start and got sniped by Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, Bords went out on the ice and gave him a pep talk and Sami went on to play one hell of a game until he cramped up.

Hans Landaskog is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:52 PM
  #103
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wrocław
Country: Poland
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 50
McLeod as enforcer: Playoff-hunt
Bordy as enforcer: Last place in WC.

I know it was different seasons, but the remaining roster remained almost entirely the same.

I won't shed a tear if Bordy gets cut, I won't mind if he is brought back.....

as the 13/14th forward which is used sparingly and only against specific teams.
This would also mean McLeod gets pushed to the 4th line, a line which he should never eclipse.

Nzap is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
  #104
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: w/ Renley's Peach
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
McLeod as enforcer: Playoff-hunt
Bordy as enforcer: Last place in WC.

I know it was different seasons, but the remaining roster remained almost entirely the same.

I won't shed a tear if Bordy gets cut, I won't mind if he is brought back.....

as the 13/14th forward which is used sparingly and only against specific teams.
This would also mean McLeod gets pushed to the 4th line, a line which he should never eclipse.
The remaining roster most absolutely was not the same if only because one of those seasons ended with highlander on a scoring line.

cgf is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:59 PM
  #105
Iceberg*
IWantRoyAsMyGM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Neither of the Western teams have been using their backup goaltenders either. We should probably ditch Jiggy while we're at it.
We can't afford that with Varlamov been Varlamov all the time.

Hek is right, the enforcer role has been diminished and Bordeleau playing 46 games this year was a waste. Bordeleau shouldn't play more than 10 games a season (only against other teams that also uses HWs). I would rather fill his spot in the lineup with someone that could kill penalties.

Iceberg* is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 02:00 PM
  #106
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 19,636
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
McLeod as enforcer: Playoff-hunt
Bordy as enforcer: Last place in WC.

I know it was different seasons, but the remaining roster remained almost entirely the same.

I won't shed a tear if Bordy gets cut, I won't mind if he is brought back.....

as the 13/14th forward which is used sparingly and only against specific teams.
This would also mean McLeod gets pushed to the 4th line, a line which he should never eclipse.
I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  #107
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: w/ Renley's Peach
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,399
vCash: 500
On a team with smaller chippy guys like we have in Downie, Trolver and soon Sgar, it's nice to have a big behemoth like Bordy on the 4th line so that things can't get to out of hand. With our top 3 lines eating up most of the ice time because of our depth at center, having a 4th line of Bordy-Malone-Olver would be really nice.

cgf is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  #108
Ceremony
It was dawn
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 99,781
vCash: 50
If Bordeleau goals getting the bench excited is a reason to keep him I suggest we invest in better timeout entertainment at the Can. Like get puppies on the ice when it's on a break or something.

__________________
this isn't real, it's only the internet
Ceremony is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  #109
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
McLeod as enforcer: Playoff-hunt
Bordy as enforcer: Last place in WC.

I know it was different seasons, but the remaining roster remained almost entirely the same.


I won't shed a tear if Bordy gets cut, I won't mind if he is brought back.....

as the 13/14th forward which is used sparingly and only against specific teams.
This would also mean McLeod gets pushed to the 4th line, a line which he should never eclipse.
McClemment, Galiardi, Winnik, Mueller, Quincey, O'Reilly full season > Mitchell, Zanon, Palushaj, O'Reilly half season

Razor29 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  #110
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: w/ Renley's Peach
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
McClemment, Galiardi, Winnik, Mueller, Quincey, O'Reilly full season > Mitchell, Zanon, Palushaj, O'Reilly half season
Kinda missing PAP and awesome-Duchene on one side of that equation...

cgf is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
  #111
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wrocław
Country: Poland
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous.
Oh for Pete's sake that wasn't meant to be taken literally. Hyperbole you know?
It was a small joke.

I'm only saying we are fine with Cody as he shouldn't play on a higher line than the 4th anyway. So why "waste" a roster spot on Bordy when we could have Cody (who is a much better player) and instead sign/trade for PK specialists who actually could contribute better on the lower lines both defensively and on the PK.

So all in all, having Bordy taking mostly offensive starts cause he isn't that good defensively and therefore having our more offensive players taking more defensive draws is something we should consider changing.

I know and understand the things Bordy brings to the team. but I believe the benefit of having Bordy is smaller in comparison to having better PKers and letting our offensive guys start in the O-zone instead of a goon and actually not suffer watching McGinn and McLeod being lost on the PK.
And as I said, I'm fine with having him as a 13th/14th forward and placed in line-up when a game requires it, but not constantly.

I'd much rather have a 4th line of:

McLeod-Mitchell/PK guy-Mitchell/PK Guy

than
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy

You can switch Mitchell with Olver/Malone/Vincour/VdG/Kobasew, whatever floats your boat.


Last edited by Nzap: 06-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Nzap is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
  #112
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 13,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Oh for Pete's sake that wasn't meant to be taken literally. Hyperbole you know?
It was a small joke.

I'm only saying we are fine with Cody as he shouldn't play on a higher line than the 4th anyway. So why "waste" a roster spot on Bordy when we could have Cody (who is a much better player) and instead sign/trade for PK specialists who actually could contribute better on the lower lines both defensively and on the PK.

So all in all, having Bordy taking mostly offensive starts cause he isn't that good defensively and therefore having our more offensive players taking more defensive draws is something we should consider changing.

I know and understand the things Bordy brings to the team. but I believe the benefit of having Bordy is smaller in comparison to having better PKers and letting our offensive guys start in the O-zone instead of a goon and actually not suffer watching McGinn and McLeod being lost on the PK.
And as I said, I'm fine with having him as a 13th/14th forward and placed in line-up when a game requires it, but not constantly.

I'd much rather have a 4th line of:

McLeod-Mitchell/PK guy-Mitchell/PK Guy

than
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy

You can switch Mitchell with Olver/Malone/Vincour/VdG/Kobasew, whatever floats your boat.
I'd switch Malone with Mitchell either at the deadline or after this season to be honest, Malone has made his living as a PK/Defensive forward. I think he can learn to do that at the NHL level in a 4th line role. He'd also be cheaper as well.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 04:21 PM
  #113
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Kinda missing PAP and awesome-Duchene on one side of that equation...
Oh okay, I'll throw in awesome Varly and good Jones on the left side and the ****** versions we saw this year on the right.

Razor29 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  #114
ABasin
The good old days...
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Neither of the Western teams have been using their backup goaltenders either. We should probably ditch Jiggy while we're at it.
Actually, LA did use their backup goaltender last night.

While I got a kick out of your response, Hek's point is actually an interesting one. Who really uses enforcers late into the playoffs anymore? Boston's got Thornton, but he can actually play. I don't mind Bordeleau on the team per se, but is this becoming a thing of the past?

FWIW, I'm OK with Bordeleau taking up a roster spot, but not both Bordeleau and McLeod taking regular roster spots. At least not the 'normal' McLeod. I realize he managed to score 8 goals this season (like 4 seasons ago when he scored 15), and I'll take a 15 goal pace guy tough guy any day. But he scored 5 goals in 5 games late in the season, and scored 3 goals across the other 43 games. Which guy can one expect? Avs don't need two tough guys scoring 6 goals a season. I'd prefer they got rid of one and got a good player in that spot instead.

ABasin is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #115
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 28,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
We can't afford that with Varlamov been Varlamov all the time.

Hek is right, the enforcer role has been diminished and Bordeleau playing 46 games this year was a waste. Bordeleau shouldn't play more than 10 games a season (only against other teams that also uses HWs). I would rather fill his spot in the lineup with someone that could kill penalties.
Well first of all I was being facetious. I thought that'd be obvious.

Secondly, all the people talking about the enforcer role being diminished seem to missed why it's been diminished. It's because the enforcers couldn't skate, and we're penelty risks, and defensive liabilities. These aren't problems with Bordy, and he can cycle the puck somewhat well too.

Player's like Bordy being able to keep other teams honest, and given opponents something to think about other than scoring hasn't diminshed. It's the need for those players to do something else besides fight. Bordy does.

I'm also not sure why some feel the only way to have a good PK is to have a 4th line winger have that role. The Avs PK was actually pretty good to end the season, and their go to PKers should come from the 2nd and 3rd line ideally anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Actually, LA did use their backup goaltender last night.

While I got a kick out of your response, Hek's point is actually an interesting one. Who really uses enforcers late into the playoffs anymore? Boston's got Thornton, but he can actually play. I don't mind Bordeleau on the team per se, but is this becoming a thing of the past?

FWIW, I'm OK with Bordeleau taking up a roster spot, but not both Bordeleau and McLeod taking regular roster spots. At least not the 'normal' McLeod. I realize he managed to score 8 goals this season (like 4 seasons ago when he scored 15), and I'll take a 15 goal pace guy tough guy any day. But he scored 5 goals in 5 games late in the season, and scored 3 goals across the other 43 games. Which guy can one expect? Avs don't need two tough guys scoring 6 goals a season. I'd prefer they got rid of one and got a good player in that spot instead.
The point's not well taken because almost no other team has heavyweight enforcers that aren't liabilities anymore, and it's not like they'll be forced to play him in the playoffs if they keep him around. This isn't a reason to let him go in favor of someone else taking his spot.

The other teams in the playoffs don't have a guy like bordy, because there's not too many that are as good as him in that role. It's not an indication of whether the Avs should have him on the team or not, it's an indication of enforcers like him being rare.


Last edited by Mystic MacK: 06-03-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #116
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 12,149
vCash: 500
Lots of smoke saying the Avs want Barkov. Not sure if there's a fire there, but I'd love to get him.

Anything from us is on the table except Weber, Rinne, Josi, Wilson, and Forsberg. Ideally, #4+Smith or something. He had good chemistry with Stastny.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
  #117
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Lots of smoke saying the Avs want Barkov. Not sure if there's a fire there, but I'd love to get him.

Anything from us is on the table except Weber, Rinne, Josi, Wilson, and Forsberg. Ideally, #4+Smith or something. He had good chemistry with Stastny.
Talk of this is happening in the Draft thread. IMO #4 + Smith isn't enough. Most of the talk is #1 + Stastny for #4 + Josi, and it is understandable why both sides would be hesitant to that deal (especially the Preds because they are losing their #2 with nobody to replace him).

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 04:54 PM
  #118
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
If we really like Barkov...what does it take to get #4 while keeping #1?

Staz? Staz +?

I love his or Nich's size. We need that type of player.

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 04:58 PM
  #119
Freudian
Clearly deranged
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 40,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Lots of smoke saying the Avs want Barkov. Not sure if there's a fire there, but I'd love to get him.

Anything from us is on the table except Weber, Rinne, Josi, Wilson, and Forsberg. Ideally, #4+Smith or something. He had good chemistry with Stastny.
Friedman said on HNIC that Roy said Avs will not go below three unless they get an unbelievable offer. Smith + 4th overall isn't that.

Freudian is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 05:00 PM
  #120
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Friedman said on HNIC that Roy said Avs will not go below three unless they get an unbelievable offer. Smith + 4th overall isn't that.
But him and Stastny played well together for 5 games!

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 05:01 PM
  #121
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Friedman said on HNIC that Roy said Avs will not go below three unless they get an unbelievable offer. Smith + 4th overall isn't that.
I really hope this is the case. The big three are what we need. However...I could still see the Avs seeing what it would take to move up from 32 to 4th. I think something around Staz could do it. Nash is NOT in rebuild mode. He adds immediate scoring to their lineup which they need. There would probably have to be a plus...Idk what it would have to be.

Avs For Life is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
  #122
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,055
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I really hope this is the case. The big three are what we need. However...I could still see the Avs seeing what it would take to move up from 32 to 4th. I think something around Staz could do it. Nash is NOT in rebuild mode. He adds immediate scoring to their lineup which they need. There would probably have to be a plus...Idk what it would have to be.
I do not believe the Avs have the ammo to move up from #32 to #4....unless we're adding in a 2014 1st rounder and Stastny w/ an extension and/or salary retained.

Even then, Nashville says "no dice" quite easily imo

__________________

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 05:26 PM
  #123
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Nashville is same division next year, so doubt I see anything happening. It's bad enough we'll have to endure more games against CStew and Captain Kirk.

Hans Landaskog is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
  #124
Iceberg*
IWantRoyAsMyGM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Well first of all I was being facetious. I thought that'd be obvious.

Secondly, all the people talking about the enforcer role being diminished seem to missed why it's been diminished. It's because the enforcers couldn't skate, and we're penelty risks, and defensive liabilities. These aren't problems with Bordy, and he can cycle the puck somewhat well too.

Player's like Bordy being able to keep other teams honest, and given opponents something to think about other than scoring hasn't diminshed. It's the need for those players to do something else besides fight. Bordy does.

I'm also not sure why some feel the only way to have a good PK is to have a 4th line winger have that role. The Avs PK was actually pretty good to end the season, and their go to PKers should come from the 2nd and 3rd line ideally anyway.

The point's not well taken because almost no other team has heavyweight enforcers that aren't liabilities anymore, and it's not like they'll be forced to play him in the playoffs if they keep him around. This isn't a reason to let him go in favor of someone else taking his spot.

The other teams in the playoffs don't have a guy like bordy, because there's not too many that are as good as him in that role. It's not an indication of whether the Avs should have him on the team or not, it's an indication of enforcers like him being rare.
First of all i was being facetious too and i too thought that'd be obvious.

Anyway, we both see Bordeleau differently, i certainly don't agree with him not been a defensive liability, to me he is.

I think you are overrating him quite a bit saying he is rare. Shawn Thornton is rare, Bordeleau is not. And, his presence didn't prevent Landeskog and Johnson from getting concusions after questionables hits or Kronwall from trying to take McGinn's head off.

Iceberg* is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
  #125
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
McClemment, Galiardi, Winnik, Mueller, Quincey, O'Reilly full season > Mitchell, Zanon, Palushaj, O'Reilly half season
This was a big part of our problem last year. We lost 3 very good bottom 6 players and really need to improve our depth in that area again. I think trying to sign Gordon would be a great start, and I'd like them to bring in one more good bottom 6er this offseason.

Quincey as bad as he can be also hurt since we lost a guy playing top 4 minutes for us and replaced him with even worse defensemen (Hunwick/Zanon)

Nihiliste is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.