HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 11:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) IV

Last thread reached the limit, continue here.

Please be sure to include the height of the player you wish the Habs to acquire in your post. Posts with player heights under 6'1" will be removed by the moderators. Thanks.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:46 AM
My Velouria
roygbiv

HF Habs wishlist:

AND

Those who appear in the first AND second list are MUST-HAVES!!!!1!!1!!!!!

Old
05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Please be sure to include the height of the player you wish the Habs to acquire in your post. Posts with player heights under 6'1" will be removed by the moderators. Thanks.
That's hilarious!

Old
05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
DenverHabsFan

Way back Andre Savard was going to package multiple players at the draft to acquire Kovalchuk. In hindsight, based on the players involved, we would have suffered short-term but we could have built around a superstar.

So my question is: what would it take to get Drouin and would you support taking a step back to build around him? I mention Drouin because I think he would command less of a premium than MacKinnon and Jones and the fact that he could become a much-needed local star.

Personally, I would be 100% behind MB as long as PK and the Gallys are not involved. I think any gap created could eventually be filled on the UFA market but we need some top talent. Guys who can get huge goals in must-win games and I see Drouin developing that way. What do you guys think?

Old
05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Way back Andre Savard was going to package multiple players at the draft to acquire Kovalchuk. In hindsight, based on the players involved, we would have suffered short-term but we could have built around a superstar.

So my question is: what would it take to get Drouin and would you support taking a step back to build around him? I mention Drouin because I think he would command less of a premium than MacKinnon and Jones and the fact that he could become a much-needed local star.

Personally, I would be 100% behind MB as long as PK and the Gallys are not involved. I think any gap created could eventually be filled on the UFA market but we need some top talent. Guys who can get huge goals in must-win games and I see Drouin developing that way. What do you guys think?
Why do you think a local star is needed? The rink is full 82 games(and playoffs) every year.

We already have the guy the offense will be built around in Galchenyuk, I think the cost of trading for a guy like Drouin makes it a bad idea. That would smell of a panic move.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
HF Habs wishlist:

AND

Those who appear in the first AND second list are MUST-HAVES!!!!1!!1!!!!!
For every single big, tough guy lover, there's a softy lover who praises Diaz for a bunch of secondary assists he got when Markov was on fire, and Gorges for intentionally falling on his knees every time there's a close play in the crease.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

As always, depends what the actual cost is. I find it hard to believe we'd be able to acquire Drouin and not give up 3 of our best and most valuable assets though. Who would you offer them? Price, Pacioretty, Tinordi, Beaulieu?

Old
05-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Andy

Evgeni Artyukhin...oh the good ol' days.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Andy

Bickell would be cool, but I'm hesitant. I want to know how much of his offensive game (which isn't that impressive) is a product of playing with offensively talented players in Chicago who attract most of the attention of defensive game plans. The last thing I want to see is the Habs overpay for size and have the player bust offensively.

While the team needs size in some areas, it also desperately needs reliable offense which has been, imo, the biggest problem with this team, we just never know what line will get hot at what time. Of course, Bickell will never be that type of player and I don't expect him to be, but the last thing the habs need is to pay a player 4.5 million dollars because he's taller than 6'2. Bickell barely scores at a .5 ppg rate. Maybe he needs a bigger offensive role ala Ladd when he moved to Winnipeg?

Old
05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Drive425

Quote:

I would be against taking a step backwards unless the player the Habs acquire fills a need. That step backwards would likely involve PK.

As much as these guys are solid NHL material you never know. A mistake could put the Habs back 5 years to recover. Guys like Patrick Stefan happen sometimes.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
As always, depends what the actual cost is. I find it hard to believe we'd be able to acquire Drouin and not give up 3 of our best and most valuable assets though. Who would you offer them? Price, Pacioretty, Tinordi, Beaulieu?
Depends which team we are targeting and what their needs are but you can use the Savard trade that never happened as a reference and it was more quantity than quality. It would have to be an educated guess that the players involved don't have a higher ceiling than what they've shown us so far. Yes, I would part with the players on your list except for Tinordi since he fills a glaring hole on our D.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:

Priceless ooops maybe that is the wrong choice of words on this HF board

How about just a

Old
05-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Bickell would be cool, but I'm hesitant. I want to know how much of his offensive game (which isn't that impressive) is a product of playing with offensively talented players in Chicago who attract most of the attention of defensive game plans. The last thing I want to see is the Habs overpay for size and have the player bust offensively.

While the team needs size in some areas, it also desperately needs reliable offense which has been, imo, the biggest problem with this team, we just never know what line will get hot at what time. Of course, Bickell will never be that type of player and I don't expect him to be, but the last thing the habs need is to pay a player 4.5 million dollars because he's taller than 6'2. Bickell barely scores at a .5 ppg rate. Maybe he needs a bigger offensive role ala Ladd when he moved to Winnipeg?
Yup, and his quality of competition in Chicago scares me. Going through these playoffs, Bickell was kept far away from Koivu, Parise and Datsyuk. Zetterberg too, except games 4 & 6 in Detroit, where Babcock changed the matchups.

The Habs have already committed to one offensive player who does best with soft minutes (DD), and another who is still a teenager. Whichever forward replaces Ryder will be counted on to play tough minutes at some point. Maybe Bickell or Stalberg can step it up in a weaker conference, but that's a gamble. They are older than Ladd was when he moved, and the Southeast was going down a whole other level.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Yup, and his quality of competition in Chicago scares me. Going through these playoffs, Bickell was kept far away from Koivu, Parise and Datsyuk. Zetterberg too, except games 4 & 6 in Detroit, where Babcock changed the matchups.

The Habs have already committed to one offensive player who does best with soft minutes (DD), and another who is still a teenager. Whichever forward replaces Ryder will be counted on to play tough minutes at some point. Maybe Bickell or Stalberg can step it up in a weaker conference, but that's a gamble. They are older than Ladd was when he moved, and the Southeast was going down a whole other level.
Also, we can't forget that Bickell has never really been a big time offensive producer at any level except for the two seasons after his draft year as a 19-20 year old in junior. Expecting to for him to break-out offensively at 27 years of age is unlikely. Bickell at 3-3.5 per year is fine, anything reaching for and over is a huge huge overpayment.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Draft

Quote:
Also, we can't forget that Bickell has never really been a big time offensive producer at any level except for the two seasons after his draft year as a 19-20 year old in junior. Expecting to for him to break-out offensively at 27 years of age is unlikely. Bickell at 3-3.5 per year is fine, anything reaching for and over is a huge huge overpayment.
Before the playoffs, Chicago fans were capping it at 2.5mil on the big board.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
At that price he probably stays in Chicago. They can surely afford that.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
odishabs

1. Sign Viktor Stalberg

2. Sign Rob Scuderi/Boyd Gordon

3. Draft Frederik Gauthier, Ian McCoshen, Jacob De La Rose and Hudson Fasching.

4. Give players like Desharnais, LeBlanc, Diaz, Gorges, Gionta a chance to bounce back.

5. Last year of evaluation of the above players before a big UFA class in 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Stalberg

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - Gordon - White

Scuderi - Subban

Gorges - Diaz

Markov - Tinordi

some of you may snicker at the idea of Stalberg playing with the '1st line' but this is a team that roles 4 lines. There is no '1st line' infact a guy with wheels like Stalberg would open up a lot of room for a guy like Pacioretty. Stalberg brings the speed and size lost by Cole. Stalberg is the type of player that blossoms into any role given and not overspending on the big names free agents creates a lot of room for opportunity following this season where I can see DD being dealt.

a few years down the road:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Collberg/De La Rose

Hudon - Gauthier - Stalberg

Prust - Bournival - XXXXXX

Tinordi - Subban

Gorges - Beaulieu

McCoshen - Emelin

Old
05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

We're here to discuss hockey, not the language,culture, ethnicity, religion or geographic origin of players. We shouldn't have to keep putting out warnings for this. We've made it very clear.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
1. Sign Viktor Stalberg

2. Sign Rob Scuderi/Boyd Gordon

3. Draft Frederik Gauthier, Ian McCoshen, Jacob De La Rose and Hudson Fasching.

4. Give players like Desharnais, LeBlanc, Diaz, Gorges, Gionta a chance to bounce back.

5. Last year of evaluation of the above players before a big UFA class in 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Stalberg

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - Gordon - White

Scuderi - Subban

Gorges - Diaz

Markov - Tinordi

some of you may snicker at the idea of Stalberg playing with the '1st line' but this is a team that roles 4 lines. There is no '1st line' infact a guy with wheels like Stalberg would open up a lot of room for a guy like Pacioretty. Stalberg brings the speed and size lost by Cole. Stalberg is the type of player that blossoms into any role given and not overspending on the big names free agents creates a lot of room for opportunity following this season where I can see DD being dealt.

a few years down the road:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Collberg/De La Rose

Hudon - Gauthier - Stalberg

Prust - Bournival - XXXXXX

Tinordi - Subban

Gorges - Beaulieu

McCoshen - Emelin
I like most of your post and ideas, a few things...

MB is on the record as wanting gritty players, can't see him paying top dollar for a soft guy like Stalberg. It goes against what we need.

Gordon I think we have better places to spend on, play Dumont as #4 center. Give him a season to see if he can play that role and use the extra(200-500 k elswhere).

Old
05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Joe Cole

Equal talent....ah yes, the talking unicorn of the Montreal Canadiens talent evaluation scale.

So real, you can reach out and....

Old
05-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Guilliam

Bickell over 4M a year would be a mistake. Just like Clarkson over 4M a year would be a mistake. Bickell played most of the year on Chicago's third line with Stalberg and Kruger. He's a good third liner who's big and physical, can crash the net and stay there to screen the goalie. Occasionnally (like in the playoffs) you can move him up in the top 6 with talented players so that he creates room for them.

I'd love him on our third line (maybe with DD on a sheltered line) but I'm afraid his play in the playoffs will make him too expensive for my liking. We shouldn't pay/expect him to be a top 6 forward.

Last edited by Guilliam: 05-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Lshap

Quote:

The team's foundation has already been built around a core of 19 to 26 year-olds. You don't dismantle an improving foundation for a single support beam.

We'll inevitably end up taking a step back as Markov's role diminishes (or is traded), but the overall philosophy is supplementing the core roster, not reconstructing it. The Habs seem to have the right recipe for success, they're just missing a little pepper.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
NLHabsFan

I don't think trading for one of the top 3 picks is a possibility. But do you think anyone in the 9 - 12 range is? I know it doesn't happen but we have three 2nd's and two 3rds that we could make deals moving up 4 or 5 spots at a time to get in that range.

We have some pretty good depth in our prospect pool right now and using our 6 picks in the top 90 will strengthen that aspect more.

ISS has Monahan, Horvat, Ristolainen, and Lazar ranked 9 - 12. Are those players worth sacrificing more depth for top talent, and do you think they have the potential to be a top talent?

Old
05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:

Outstanding.

Great start to the thread.

And a big Thanks.

Old
05-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I don't think trading for one of the top 3 picks is a possibility. But do you think anyone in the 9 - 12 range is? I know it doesn't happen but we have three 2nd's and two 3rds that we could make deals moving up 4 or 5 spots at a time to get in that range.

We have some pretty good depth in our prospect pool right now and using our 6 picks in the top 90 will strengthen that aspect more.

ISS has Monahan, Horvat, Ristolainen, and Lazar ranked 9 - 12. Are those players worth sacrificing more depth for top talent, and do you think they have the potential to be a top talent?
I don't see a huge dropoff from 10-25. I see it as the kind of draft where we may get a player as good at #36 as somebody drafting at 15 in a few years, so in that sense quantity trumps quality. The only "trade up" we may see is going 3-5 spots if a guy we really like is there early 20's and don't want to risk losing.

Closed Thread