HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Draft Combine/Mini-camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 09:53 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
No Europeans invited yet?
I don't think they ever do?

Old
06-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't think they ever do?
Thanks I didn't know

Old
06-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Eric Comrie ‏@ericcomrie1 1h Done nhl and @MapleLeafs combines now on to @CanadiensMTL combine.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Same here. Clear names for our first 2nd round picks. I would have hope that Hayden would stick around till the 3rd but I guess it won't happen...
Guys.....I keep telling you McCarron will be a first round pick...:-)

I'm pretty sure he's a strong consideration for the Hsabs at 25 if he's there. I think he may well go top 20 though.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:22 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Eric Comrie ‏@ericcomrie1 1h Done nhl and @MapleLeafs combines now on to @CanadiensMTL combine.
Hope Jarry is there as well. Comrie worries me. Not great size for a goalie and he already has a hip surgery under his belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Guys.....I keep telling you McCarron will be a first round pick...:-)

I'm pretty sure he's a strong consideration for the Hsabs at 25 if he's there. I think he may well go top 20 though.
Does he really have the offensive upside to be a 1st rounder though? It feels more like hope than reality at this point. Not that it's a bad gamble at 25, I see his production was decent at the u-18s.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Hope Jarry is there as well. Comrie worries me. Not great size for a goalie and he already has a hip surgery under his belt.

Does he really have the offensive upside to be a 1st rounder though? It feels more like hope than reality at this point. Not that it's a bad gamble at 25, I see his production was decent at the u-18s.

Did Tom Wilson? Where'd he go - 16th? McCarron has more offensive upside than Wilson, and he's bigger. I saw him a few times, and I saw offensive upside. Very rarely do 6-5 17-year-olds reach their offensive potential in their draft year. He is the best power forward prospect in this draft

Last edited by Grant McCagg: 06-04-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old
06-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Add Spencer Martin to the list:

https://twitter.com/S_Marty95/status/341957476796755968

Spencer Martin ‏@S_Marty95 2h
Flight to Montreal tonight for the @CanadiensMTL combine!

So players not from the Q who will be there:

Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman
Michael McCarron
John Hayden
Eric Comrie
Spencer Martin
Evan Cowley

Old
06-04-2013, 01:49 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Did Tom Wilson? Where'd he go - 16th? McCarron has more offensive upside than Wilson, and he's bigger. I saw him a few times, and I saw offensive upside. Very rarely do 6-5 17-year-olds reach their offensive potential in their draft year. He is the best power forward prospect in this draft
Tom Wilson definitely didn't. I hope I'm not being mistaken that I am doubting your prediction that he will go higher than anticipated. I am merely skeptical if he has the offensive ceiling. I'll take the chance that late in the first round DEPENDING on who's left on the board.

You're probably right though, someone will make a reach. Tom Wilson and Tyler Biggs are two examples of players who were big and hit, that were selected despite a ? about their offensive potential.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:07 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman
Michael McCarron
John Hayden
Eric Comrie
Spencer Martin
Evan Cowley
Not much of a Martin fan.. he's one of those blocking type goalies I talked about in the Allaire thread. I hope they take a look at Jarry. I wonder if they'll invite Fucale to the camp as well?

I don't have a lot of faith in this scouting staff when it comes to goalies. Halak was a previous regime, I believe.. Heino-Lindberg, Missiaen, Lacasse, and Simila are notable goalie busts.. add in signings like Delmas, there's not a lot of success there.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:

Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman
Michael McCarron
John Hayden

Eric Comrie
Spencer Martin
Evan Cowley
The bolded make me VERY happy.

06-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Not much of a Martin fan.. he's one of those blocking type goalies I talked about in the Allaire thread. I hope they take a look at Jarry. I wonder if they'll invite Fucale to the camp as well?

I don't have a lot of faith in this scouting staff when it comes to goalies. Halak was a previous regime, I believe.. Heino-Lindberg, Missiaen, Lacasse, and Simila are notable goalie busts.. add in signings like Delmas, there's not a lot of success there.
Jarry has a twitter account but hasn't tweeted since September, so I doubt we get an answer.

Heino-Lindberg and Halak were in the same draft, Timmins' first. As for the rest, aside from Missiaen, they were basically 7th round or later shots in the dark.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Grant McCagg

No disrespect, but you are skeptical about his upside based on.... looking at stats and seeing him play on TV once? Been told since January by a few scouts that he's a first rounder..I've thought so since seeing him in the fall actually.

I see long term upside without question..he is huge, can skate, has a good shot, has decent sense. Much like Gauthier, he is only going to get better as he grows into his body. Also been told that he's "tough as nails."

Not many people thought Lucic had ANY offensive upside in his draft year. McCarron can't fight like Lucic..but he can sure as hell skate better.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

I'd feel a lot better about McCarron if he's willing to go to London. That type of player needs to play in the CHL to fully develop, not the NCAA.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I'd feel a lot better about McCarron if he's willing to go to London. That type of player needs to play in the CHL to fully develop, not the NCAA.
I'm on board with McCarron at 25, but I agree with you there. Would love to see him with London.

I like McCarron for the Habs because he's something we flat-out don't have in our prospect pool. I know the old saying is you don't draft for need, but at a certain point, with as many picks as we have, why not? Are we going to be in danger of suddenly having too many big, rugged wingers and not enough scorers? I don't think so.

We drafted skilled, scoring forwards with 3 of our first 4 picks last year...at what point do we start taking a gamble on guys like McCarron instead of watching other teams scoop them up? At least we have two very high second rounders to bank on if we take McCarron at 25 and he doesn't work out.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
No disrespect, but you are skeptical about his upside based on.... looking at stats and seeing him play on TV once? Been told since January by a few scouts that he's a first rounder..I've thought so since seeing him in the fall actually.

I see long term upside without question..he is huge, can skate, has a good shot, has decent sense. Much like Gauthier, he is only going to get better as he grows into his body. Also been told that he's "tough as nails."

Not many people thought Lucic had ANY offensive upside in his draft year. McCarron can't fight like Lucic..but he can sure as hell skate better.
Well, that's pretty much all I am reduced to. Reading reports, watching what I can and looking into stats (which I don't put so much emphasis on, especially with big bodied kids since they either take longer to develop or dominate because they are bigger than their competition).

I've just heard rumblings about a questionable offensive upside. If you think that it is there and there's enough to go on that he could develop into a top 2 line player, that's definitely great. A bit more information for me to chew on. Why we appreciate your presence on this board, you get to see these kids more than us and can provide us with a more accurate report than what we'd be able to find on our own with such limited viewings.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
le_sean

Quote:

I have a feeling Missiaen was taken because there was serious talk at the time about making the nets larger. Just a hunch.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm on board with McCarron at 25, but I agree with you there. Would love to see him with London.

I like McCarron for the Habs because he's something we flat-out don't have in our prospect pool. I know the old saying is you don't draft for need, but at a certain point, with as many picks as we have, why not? Are we in danger of suddenly having too many big, rugged wingers? Hardly.

We drafted skilled, scoring forwards with 3 of our first 4 picks last year...at what point do we start taking a gamble on guys like McCarron instead of watching other teams scoop them up? At least we have two very high second rounders to bank on if we take McCarron at 25 and he doesn't work out.
It depends on your assment of McCarron.

If you're an NHL GM and you're up at #25, your head scout has a guy at #15 on his list still available and he has McCarron 40-45 on his list, no way in hell can you pick him at #25.

Different scenario...

If you have McCarron at #28-30 and the guys available on your list are #23-24 and the gap is not huge, then you pick a player that fits your needs.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:02 PM
le_sean

Quote:
A 6'5 220lbs mean forward being mentored by Dale Hunter. Ouch.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:03 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
It depends on your assment of McCarron.

If you're an NHL GM and you're up at #25, your head scout has a guy at #15 on his list still available and he has McCarron 40-45 on his list, no way in hell can you pick him at #25.

Different scenario...

If you have McCarron at #28-30 and the guys available on your list are #23-24 and the gap is not huge, then you pick a player that fits your needs.
Of course, I wasn't trying to apply a universal rule, necessarily. Just saying that if we should ever be open to drafting for need or taking a chance on a guy who might not be an offensive gem but can help in other areas...this would seem to be the year. It always depends who's left on the board and who you think will be left for your other picks.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:45 PM
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
A 6'5 220lbs mean forward being mentored by Dale Hunter. Ouch.
how is his skating?

Old
06-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Hartman or McCarron at 25?

Tough choice!

Old
06-04-2013, 04:12 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Hartman or McCarron at 25?

Tough choice!
If Grant is right then McCarron is easily chosen over Hartman.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:14 PM
vad87

Is there a gab between McCarron and Hayden. Stephane Leroux thinks Hayden is a 1st round material but didn't talk a lot baout McCarron. So to you Grant who've seen McCarron, what's you toughts on Hayden?

Old
06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Another goalie, a 20 year old this time:

https://twitter.com/fpalazzese32/sta...12099561680896

Franky Palazzese ‏@fpalazzese32 58m
Flight to Montreal for Canadiens combine testing! #excited ✈✈

20 year old Zach Hall of the Barrie Colts is also coming:

https://twitter.com/Cannons97/status/341904134863200258

Jordon Cannons ‏@Cannons97 8h
Best of luck to @zedhall28 in his NHL combine in Montreal #bestofluck #lightitup

Both had a solid year in the OHL.

Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman
Michael McCarron
John Hayden
Eric Comrie
Spencer Martin
Evan Cowley
Franky Palazzese
Zach Hall

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 06-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old
06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Does McCarron play his size or is he a Colborne type?

Closed Thread