HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Draft Combine/Mini-camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlatou View Post
I was there from 10am until 11 am.

Serge Boisvert, Martin Lapointe, Trevor Timmins and Patrice Brisebois were on the ice with the players + a few other coaches.

I saw SEVEN d-men and the guy that was the most impressive had number 95 on his helmet (blue helmet + blue pants similar to the Rangers colors). Every coaches shook his hand and Timmins even stopped a meeting to talk to him before he left the ice. I asked around and it looked like Jonathan Diaby but he was wearing number 3 in Junior.... He was the most impressive.

4 goalies were ther + 2 kids from Midget AAA who were there as shooting targets!!! One of them was Jean-Charles Lajoie's son.

When I left, McCaron had stepped on the ice!

Cheers.
I think that 95 might have been Bailey

Plays for Kitchener Rangers - Similar to NYR colors and he wears # 95

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/10411

Old
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Where's Quattrochi when you need him....

#95 Rangers color? Has to be Bailey no? But he's not a D.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:09 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I think that 95 might have been Bailey

Plays for Kitchener Rangers - Similar to NYR colors and he wears # 95

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/10411
I think we have a winner.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:10 PM
le_sean

Is Bailey worthy of the 25th or is there a good chance he can be picked at 34?

Old
06-05-2013, 01:14 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlatou View Post
I was there from 10am until 11 am.

Serge Boisvert, Martin Lapointe, Trevor Timmins and Patrice Brisebois were on the ice with the players + a few other coaches.

I saw SEVEN d-men and the guy that was the most impressive had number 95 on his helmet (blue helmet + blue pants similar to the Rangers colors). Every coaches shook his hand and Timmins even stopped a meeting to talk to him before he left the ice. I asked around and it looked like Jonathan Diaby but he was wearing number 3 in Junior.... He was the most impressive.

4 goalies were ther + 2 kids from Midget AAA who were there as shooting targets!!! One of them was Jean-Charles Lajoie's son.

When I left, McCaron had stepped on the ice!

Cheers.
Thanks for the report, and kudos to the guys who ID'd Bailey. Draft nuts...

Old
06-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You never know, but pretty sure he will be available with one or both of our early 2nd rounders.

06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Johnlatou
Rookie User

Thanks for the information.

Yes it was Justin Bailey. Don't know why he was with the other d-men. Maybe he had to attend another combine tonight.

But, seriously, all the coaches were looking at each other when he was skating and shooting. Plus, Donald Audette was asked to go down (from the stairs) to greet him. I have a picture of Audette waiting to talk to him.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
You never know, but pretty sure he will be available with one or both of our early 2nd rounders.
I figured as much. He has tremendous upside, but the numbers aren't there to genuinely consider him in the 1st round.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:39 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I would consider him at #55.

Maybe at 36 too, depending on who is still there, but not in the first.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
If he was a right-handed shot, it's definitely Bailey.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:50 PM
HaZiKaN

Nicolas Poulin ‏@NicolasPoulin 6 min

Justin Bailey intéresserait grandement le Canadien. Les membres du CH (Timmins et cie) lui ont parlé ce matin et même Donald Audette. #Habs

So Habs are really interested in Bailey...

Old
06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZiKaN View Post

Justin Bailey intéresserait grandement le Canadien. Les membres du CH (Timmins et cie) lui ont parlé ce matin et même Donald Audette. #Habs

Sounds like Poulin saw the same things Johnlatou did.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I hope they are interested in him as a 2nd rounder, not a 1st rounder.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
HaZiKaN

I don't know this guy at all (bailey) ... Wath kind of player is he and who would you compare him to...

Old
06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sounds like Poulin saw the same things Johnlatou did.
Sounds like Poulin is reading HFboards.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Johnlatou
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Sounds like Poulin is reading HFboards.
We were about 15 people to watch the kids. Jean-Charles Lajoie was there for his son. Gilles Lupien was there for a couple of his players. 6-9 sports writers. 5 Habs Fans going from Ice 1 to Ice 2 then to the soccer field and back to Ice 1!!!! So we all saw Audette going down the stairs in order to talk to Bailey.

Last edited by Johnlatou: 06-05-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: One more sentence
Old
06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I hope they are interested in him as a 2nd rounder, not a 1st rounder.
I hope regardless of what people here think, Timmins does his thing and drafts him wherever he feels he belongs.

When you have #25, #34 and #36 in such a deep draft, the difference might not be THAT huge, and all three picks might be very similar anyway. So I couldn't care less if he's picked 25th, 34th or 36th... or even 30th if we package a 3rd with one of our high 2nds.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:21 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I don't know this guy at all (bailey) ... Wath kind of player is he and who would you compare him to...
Hockey Prospect:

Quote:
Justin was selected in the 7th round of the 2011 OHL Priority Selection Draft by the Kitchener
Rangers out of the Buffalo Regals U16 program. Justin showed off his talents with the Long Island
Royals of the AYHL last season scoring almost a goal per game and putting up 34 points in 22 games.
Justin also got a brief two game experience with the Indiana Ice (USHL) scoring 1 goal. Justin more
than doubled his games played when he joined the Kitchener Rangers this season and entered the
league with tremendous hype and expectations. While he may not have quite lived up to the unfair
and lofty expectations, Justin certainly had a very successful rookie season. Things started out slowly
for Justin receiving ice primarily on the 4th line. He never really moved beyond the 3rd line this
season due to the tremendous depth and veteran presence on the Rangers, but he worked well with his
line mates providing some depth scoring down the stretch. Bailey’s work ethic improved and he
battled for loose pucks and attempted to create turnovers.

Justin likes to have the puck on his stick and is always looking for scoring opportunities in the
offensive zone. He has shown some flashes of creativity with the puck. He works hard to be reliable
in the defensive zone and is good at assisting his defenders down low and can play a full 200 feet. He
has a tremendous shot that fools many goaltenders. His skating stride is fairly choppy and he has
issues generating speed in his first few steps. While he is capable of reaching a good speed for a 6’3”
forward, he needs to continue to work on his skating in the offseason. Although he’s a big kid, Bailey
rarely gets involved in the physical aspect of the game, which may be a confidence issue at this point.
He should look to add strength to his frame in the offseason in preparation for next year. Bailey will
be looked upon to play a much larger role in the Rangers offensive plans next season as they graduate
a number of key veterans.

Quotable: “I keep waiting to be blown away by this kid but I keep leaving the rink
wanting more. He’s a 3rd rounder for me.” - NHL Scout

Quotable: “I spoke to Justin this year and I really like the kid. He was well spoken,
gave thoughtful answers, and was realistic about where his game was at that
point of the season. As for his game, it was hit and miss, he lacked consistency.
I thought he was turning a corner at one point of the season but I thought
that he continued to struggle to keep an upward trend in his progression. I think
he is behind others when it comes to thinking the game. He seemed a step behind
at times, especially when he played with some of Kitchener’s top forwards.” -
Mark Edwards
Future Considerations:

Quote:
Bailey is an athletic specimen with real NHL upside. He skates well with powerful stride that produces good
amounts of speed, impressive first step acceleration and outstanding directional mobility. His speed helps him close in on opponents in a
real hurry on the forecheck as well as getting to loose pucks. He generates chances off the rush and is able to stickhandle through traffic.
He’s also able to surprise goaltenders with a quick shot, as he has a very good release and velocity on his wrister. Bailey displays good
vision and makes accurate passes of varying distances, uses his strong frame and long reach in his puck protection as he glides to the
net. He has his moments, but for the most part does not play with much physical consistency. He has a bad tendency to watch the puck
on his stick as he moves through the neutral zone which can be devastating if defenders step up on him. Despite his frame, Bailey can
be easily knocked of the puck as he is still a little spindly in the legs. This will undoubtedly improve with added strength and muscle mass.
Simply put, Bailey is a player with some very impressive tool but will need time to put it all together.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Dagistitsyn

I like. Anyone know if he plays any physical game? Seems to always be buzzing around the net or heading straight too it. Good size and speed.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
I don't have any list but found some tweets

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 13 h
Kurt Ethchegary had 9 interviews this week ... is heading to Buffalo later today for Sabres combine & then off to Habs combine

Gabryel Boudreau ‏@Boudreau_9 12 h
done with the NHL combine ! Amazing experience now time for the Maple Leafs combine and Habs #workhard

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 15 h
Gatineau's Émile Poirier will attend Leafs combine tomorrow; also heading to workouts hosted by Devils, Sabres, Habs

Kathleen Lavoie ‏@kathleenlavoie 11 h
Erne (wont be there), qui participera aux combines des Devils, des Sabres et des Sénateurs, était déjà engagé ailleurs lorsque l'invitation de MTL est venue

Also saw something about Jeremy Gregoire but can't find it.

UPDATED LIST JUNE 4th:
Kurt Etchegary
Gabryel Boudreau
Emile Poirier
Jeremy Gregoire
Dylan Labbé
Anthony Duclair
Marc-Olivier Roy
Kerby Rychel
Mike McCarron
John Hayden
Ryan Hartman
Evan Cowley
Eric Comrie
Spencer Martin
Franky Palazzese
Zach Hall
Zack Fucale
Antoine Bibeau
L-P Guindon
Ryan Graves * (or Jacob Graves)
Matt Murphy * (not 100% sure it's him)
Samuel Henley
J-S Dea
Cole Ully
Dane Birks
Justin Bailey
Gabriel Curtis
Zach Nastasiuk
I see at least six players that really could be on my next Montreal Canadiens SC winning team. There is also a goalie that can be the perfect backup to Carey Price, Guess Who? I'm lovin it.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:29 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I got no problem selecting Bailey

Old
06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Dada

I'm in looking foward to read about Horvat, Natasiuk, Duclair, Poirier, McCaron, etc. The bigger names and how they did today

Old
06-05-2013, 02:46 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post

I like. Anyone know if he plays any physical game? Seems to always be buzzing around the net or heading straight too it. Good size and speed.
He does not. Good size and works hard on the ice, but doesn't really throw his weight around. He also doesn't quite have a good understanding of how to properly use his size to protect the puck, but he shows great flashes.

Amazing tools.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

He doesn't initiate contact. He's not that physical.

Old
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Tim Wallach

As someone who saw Bailey live nearly 50 times this year I can say I'd be fine with him in the 2nd round. Consistency is his main issue, but people need to remember it was his first year in the CHL coming after far inferior competition the year before. He had a massive learning curve.

With Justin, he needs some work on defensive awareness for sure, and he needs to hit the weight room to add upper body strength, which are both quite easy to work on. But one thing I'm not sure he'll ever have is that mean streak. He has zero interest in mixing it up, but he'd be a force if he did. He's a big kid.

Given his skill level, shot/release and size, coupled with his outstanding attitude and intelligence, I definitely see him as an intriguing pick.

Closed Thread