HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Goal celebrations: Whoop it up, or play it cool?

View Poll Results: Goal celebrations: Whoop it up, or play it cool?
Go nuts, it adds colour to the game 22 40.00%
Act like you've been there before 24 43.64%
no opinion 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-03-2013, 03:05 AM
jekoh

vCash: 500
Not celebrating is pretty arrogant.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:00 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 131
If we are not talking about the two extremes then I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with someone celebrating or not.

Don't go jumping through the glass after you score the 8th goal of the game and your team is up by 8-1.

If you score OT goal then by all means you should show some emotion.

In a normal situation, celebrate if you feel like it. If you don't feel like it, just play it cool. What do we care?
But I actually voted the celebration option. Cause I have usually liked players who are mainly goal scorers and goal scorers usually celebrate when they score. A'la Selanne, Ovechkin, Bure etc.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

This is something, I feel, are only an issue for canadian conservatives and Don Cherry fan boys.

Celebrate a goal if you want to (ofc u dont have to overdo it) why should anyone care?

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Hanji

What's this communist Russia? If you want to celebrate, do it.

But similar to taunting, acting like you've been there before is conceited and shows disrespect.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I guess it is worth mentioning that when Yakupov did that whole slide across the ice it was his first career NHL goal and it tied the game late. It didn't bother me a lot because of the first NHL goal. Heck, it didn't really bother Don Cherry for those that remember his opinion on it so long as he didn't make a habit of it.

Things I didn't like in the past though, Kovalchuk pointing at Crosby after scoring a goal while he was in the penalty box. There is a million reasons why you shouldn't do that. PK Subban (2011 tying goal in Game 7 against Boston) and Theo Fleury (Game 7 1991 against Edmonton) both did things after they scored that I know would have rubbed me the wrong way on opposition. Both players lost for what it is worth in those games. In both cases, the game was far from being decided.

Pierre Turgeon got a little bit of criticism when Hunter blindsided him in the 1993 playoffs. I don't agree with that at all. It was a 4-1 game with about 10 minutes left when Hunter coughed the puck up to Turgeon who made it 5-1. I remember hearing that some people thought Turgeon's celebration was a bit over the top, my question is what were they looking at? He barely had time to raise his arms. And unless you've lived under a rock and didn't watch any part of the 2013 playoffs you know very well that a 4-1 lead isn't safe. Turgeon made it 5-1, and that sealed it.

Now look, you can have some personality and colour without going over the top. Moose Dupont's tying goal against Boston in Game 2 in 1974? To me that was genuine excitement. Someone mentioned Sundin and his expressions when he scored, yeah that was priceless, you know he was pumped! Messier too had times when he got excited or even had more of a trademark lifting of both arms that I thought was drenched in confidence. That all adds colour as well without a scripted thing like signing the ball with a sharpie after a touchdown.

Yzerman jumping up and down after scoring in 1996 against the Blues, a classic moment with lots of colour and yet still not over the top. People may not know this but Pete Mahovlich tapped Tretiak on the pads after the Henderson goal and the celebration. I don't know, I liked that little subtle touch. You'd never see Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Sean Avery, etc. even dream of doing that.

My theory on this stuff, is that when it is over the top you KNOW when it is over the top when you see it. If it's wince-inducing then it's over the top.
I loved it when Kovy pointed at Crosby, he gave the kid a lesson and its part of the mental game. Whats wrong with it? Is it any different from any other kind of trash talking? You say that was wrong but you liked Mahovlich tapping Tretiaks pads? Well I better not write anything else...

Old
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
brianscot

Yeah, it definitely depends upon context.

When a fourth liner who rarely scores does something spectacular, a jump for joy seems quite sincere.

Then again, for those who regularly do what others only dream of doing, I.E. Bobby Orr doing something amazing and then just staring down at the ice and floating back for the face off --- it seems pretty cool.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
brianscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
This is something, I feel, are only an issue for canadian conservatives and Don Cherry fan boys.

Celebrate a goal if you want to (ofc u dont have to overdo it) why should anyone care?
Canadian conservatives and Don Cherry fan boys? That very remark and generality is just as conservative as any Don Cherry remark.

A player can jump against the glass in an 8-0 game all he wants. Who cares? But then that player shouldn't be amazed when he gets hammered the very next time on the ice.

Free expression works in so many lovely ways.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Acting like nothing happened is a type of celebration as the player is purposely avoiding any conventional 'celebratory' act - implies it's too easy.

Quote:
Things I didn't like in the past though, Kovalchuk pointing at Crosby after scoring a goal while he was in the penalty box. There is a million reasons why you shouldn't do that. PK Subban (2011 tying goal in Game 7 against Boston) and Theo Fleury (Game 7 1991 against Edmonton) both did things after they scored that I know would have rubbed me the wrong way on opposition. Both players lost for what it is worth in those games. In both cases, the game was far from being decided.
Subban was acknowledging Garden fans as he was getting booed before he scored. Not sure that fits the category of 'whooping it up'.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 06-03-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
Canadian conservatives and Don Cherry fan boys? That very remark and generality is just as conservative as any Don Cherry remark.

A player can jump against the glass in an 8-0 game all he wants. Who cares? But then that player shouldn't be amazed when he gets hammered the very next time on the ice.

Free expression works in so many lovely ways.
Conservative? I think you mean ignorant. Maybe there are some conservatives who doesnt care tho I havent met them yet.

I don't think he would be amazed, I dont think anyone is amazed by beng hammered

Old
06-03-2013, 08:52 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
There is one celebration I never was comfortable with. It didn't happen after a goal, but after the Ranger won the cup. Messier, who was on the bench when the buzzer went, stayed on the bench to celebrate with Keenan and the coaches rather than rush onto the ice to be with his teammates. That seemed odd to me and frankly if I was Messier's teammate, I would look at him differently after that. I don't recall an incident like that happening before or since.
What are you talking about? Messier was on the ice for the face-off with 1.6 seconds remaining. He cross-checked Bure while MacTavish won the draw, and then he celebrated like a mad man.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Let the players do whatever they want. If I scored a goal in the NHL I'd go crazy with the celebration.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
mbhhofr

I go back to a time, that when a goal was scored, the goal scorer would just raise his stick and his teammates would skate by him and tap him on his butt with their sticks.

I officiated Jr. Hockey with a former player who played on the winning 1932 Canadian Olympic hockey team. One game, when a goal was scored, one of the goal scorer's teammates gave him a hug and the former Olympian said to me, "What's next, is he going to kiss him?"

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I loved it when Kovy pointed at Crosby, he gave the kid a lesson and its part of the mental game. Whats wrong with it? Is it any different from any other kind of trash talking? You say that was wrong but you liked Mahovlich tapping Tretiaks pads? Well I better not write anything else...
I agree. Loved when he pointed at Crosby. Felt it fit well within the context of that game.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:14 AM
joe89

Outside of OT winners, series clinchers etc. it feels like the celebrations usually follow after the standard of the team and not so much the players on it. Young or unproven teams celebrate their goals quite a bit, often even in the regular season. Proven teams like Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit just go around their business and don't celebrate much other than the normal stuff.

So.. I'm a fan of playing it cool outside of the really big goals. It just means you're a team with high ambitions, not that you don't care. Krejci's OT hattrick winner against the Leafs for instance, he knew there were bigger games than a first round game 4 coming. Loved his subtle fist pump.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Eisen

Here is a nice celebration. Spontaneous and sincere.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

It depends on the goal.
Regular season, regular goal? Hands up, maybe a couple of high 5's.
Playoffs, GWG or series ender? Sure as **** I'd go bananas!

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
Yakupovs this year made me lose all respect for him.
I think it's important to understand that Yakupov is a teenage rookie. He's still a kid for gods sake! It's also important to understand that he exhibits a passion for life that few people let alone NHL players have, and it sickening to see others try to label that as a character flaw. He isn't cocky or arrogant, he just seems to genuinely love life. Which could be why he rubs miserable people the wrong way so much. But we're ok with that. It won't last though, I've seen the same passion for life from a young Ovechkin but that he grew up. So will Yakupov but seeing people wanting to snuff that out of him at his age is more than a little disturbing. Live a little you guys!

2nd, I don't get upset with posters who keep trashing his character because of one incident in his second home game in career. It just means you don't understand the context of the game. There's a reason why this board hasn't heard much of this issue from Kings fans: because they were watching the same game we were and they "get it".

It's like Toronto/Boston game 7…not that I'm comparing the importance of a regular season game to this game so don't even try to divert the topic that way. You could look at the score and see that Boston beat the Leafs 5-4 in ot, but unless you watch the game you won't understand the optics of why it was so memorable.

Unfortunately most posters here can't be bothered to look at things outside their own team any deeper than superficially. Oh well, you can't help everybody.

Last edited by Angelus: 06-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
What are you talking about? Messier was on the ice for the face-off with 1.6 seconds remaining. He cross-checked Bure while MacTavish won the draw, and then he celebrated like a mad man.
Whenever it was then.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:13 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Whenever it was then.
Are you suggesting that there was a second occasion where Mike Keenan and the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup?

Old
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Boom Boom Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
BTW, I seem to remember Gretzky sometimes being pretty exuberant after goals.
... and I remember him skating away from a lot of goals with a pissed-off look on his face, not bothering to even hint at celebrating. Man, sometimes dude just looked COLD.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:10 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Quote:
Are you suggesting that there was a second occasion where Mike Keenan and the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup?
Yes, 1940. Of course not. Must been after the Matteau OT goal.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:22 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Yes, 1940. Of course not. Must been after the Matteau OT goal.
Oh, so you mean when Adam Graves and Sergei Nemchinov immediately mobbed Messier on the bench when he was trying to leap over the boards? There was no buzzer or countdown - just a sudden eruption of twenty guys in white hugging everybody, and the people closest to Messier hugging him specifically. And who was behind Graves, Messier, and Nemchinov? Mike Keenan.

Frankly, I don't see how a five-second hug to a coach after hugging some teammates is an "uncomfortable" or "odd" incident for teammates when we've seen captains pass Stanley Cups to coaches and owners in the years following 1994. Sounds more like you're planting a narrative on an impromptu hug.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Yzerberg

I prefer the play it cool option. Brett Hull in game six of the 2002 Western Conference quarters against Vancouver is what I mean by "play it cool". Hat trick in a series clinching game-totally nonchalant. I think he winked at someone, IIRC. It was the epitome of cool.

Do what you want, just try keeping you're clothes on if you score a goal in a blowout game-especially if you're on the team getting blown out. It's also bad form to hit an empty netter and jump around like you just scored a Cup clincher in OT.

Yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Quote:
Oh, so you mean when Adam Graves and Sergei Nemchinov immediately mobbed Messier on the bench when he was trying to leap over the boards? There was no buzzer or countdown - just a sudden eruption of twenty guys in white hugging everybody, and the people closest to Messier hugging him specifically. And who was behind Graves, Messier, and Nemchinov? Mike Keenan.

Frankly, I don't see how a five-second hug to a coach after hugging some teammates is an "uncomfortable" or "odd" incident for teammates when we've seen captains pass Stanley Cups to coaches and owners in the years following 1994. Sounds more like you're planting a narrative on an impromptu hug.
Yup. When you're the only player hugging the coach and assistant coach, that reeks to me. Passing the SC is much different.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
I guess it is worth mentioning that when Yakupov did that whole slide across the ice it was his first career NHL goal and it tied the game late. It didn't bother me a lot because of the first NHL goal. Heck, it didn't really bother Don Cherry for those that remember his opinion on it so long as he didn't make a habit of it.
It was actually his second career goal FWIW.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote