HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Goal celebrations: Whoop it up, or play it cool?

View Poll Results: Goal celebrations: Whoop it up, or play it cool?
Go nuts, it adds colour to the game 22 40.00%
Act like you've been there before 24 43.64%
no opinion 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Yup. When you're the only player hugging the coach and assistant coach, that reeks to me. Passing the SC is much different.
Why is that such a big deal?

I voted for Whoop it up

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Stay classy, keep it low key

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I loved it when Kovy pointed at Crosby, he gave the kid a lesson and its part of the mental game. Whats wrong with it? Is it any different from any other kind of trash talking? You say that was wrong but you liked Mahovlich tapping Tretiaks pads? Well I better not write anything else...
I can name 100 players past or present that would have ensured he was eating through a straw after pulling that stunt. That's Sean Avery material. Kovalchuk is too good of a player for that nonsense. Unfortunately, as is often the case because the Pens lack that Semenko-like player, there was no one on the Pens back then to straighten Kovalchuk up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Subban was acknowledging Garden fans as he was getting booed before he scored. Not sure that fits the category of 'whooping it up'.
It wasn't smart and I'll tell you why. I wasn't in that Bruins dressing room before overtime but you can bet they would have talked about that in the form of "Are we going to let him embarass us like that?" Subban had just tied the game in Game 7. It was going to overtime. You are a far cry from winning the game. From a sportsmanship standpoint and a winning standpoint it was foolish. Hey do what you want, like someone said this isn't communist Russia, but freedom of expression doesn't mean free from consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Here is a nice celebration. Spontaneous and sincere.

That looks planned. But just downright embarassing and wince-inducing to watch. Imagine you are the goalie or the opposition after that goal. How is that not rubbing it in? But that's soccer and that sport is a total other animal - thank God. You can show lots of emotion without embarassing - or lighting a fire under - the other team.

Quote:
Yup. When you're the only player hugging the coach and assistant coach, that reeks to me. Passing the SC is much different.
Yeah, it was after the Matteau goal. Just looked to me like something that happened on a whim though. Messier was far too respected of a guy for players to have an issue with. You won't find many more loyal guys towards teammates than Mess.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:52 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
That looks planned. But just downright embarassing and wince-inducing to watch. Imagine you are the goalie or the opposition after that goal. How is that not rubbing it in? But that's soccer and that sport is a total other animal - thank God. You can show lots of emotion without embarassing - or lighting a fire under - the other team.
It really takes a Canadian hockey fan to find anything wrong with that celebration.

And yes, good thing for football that it is a different sport, a sport where players are not stupid enough to get offended by a funny celebration like allegedly many hockey players are.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Imagine you are the goalie or the opposition after that goal.
Playing soccer, rugby or football and the opposition pulled that Fishing Stunt? Phil, Id be in hysterics, thanking them for making me laugh at my own & team mates mistakes that created the goal in the first place, a good way to shake it off. Honestly, I dont mind it in other sports at all, much of it beyond hilarious, and no, I dont find it disrespectful. Hockey however, I have a little different attitude. If youve for example run up the score by like 5 goals & your going nuts, well, that aint cool. But if someone scores a tying goal or game winner, goes & bangs himself off the glass or whatever, that to is acceptable. Its sort of nuanced, by degree's, and some players are just emotional, will break wide open & jump for joy. Over the top stuff in hockey (Dave Willams made me physically ill watching his stick rides), no, not a fan, nor do I like that skate bye of the bench with glove bumpffing.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Section337

Quote:
I can name 100 players past or present that would have ensured he was eating through a straw after pulling that stunt. That's Sean Avery material. Kovalchuk is too good of a player for that nonsense. Unfortunately, as is often the case because the Pens lack that Semenko-like player, there was no one on the Pens back then to straighten Kovalchuk up.
And that right there highlights why the case against goal celebrations is hypocritical. The game's history is full of lionized players and guys who were fan favourites who used and use intimidation to get opponents off their game. This is all done with intent, they want their opponents to feel they are less. Yet we need to support the good guys (often in the group above) because they may unintentionally have their feelings hurt due someone celebrates a success, which may not even be directed their way.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:31 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
How is bypassing veteran alternate captains for owners and coaches in a now traditional Stanley Cup pass less egregious in your mind than hugging the coaches after hugging some teammates? Messier is hugging Keenan because of proximity and excitement (you know, the same reason the Black Aces were always hugging Neil Smith). He's not the first, and he's not the last, so the only thing reeking here is the logic that condemns one action and not the other.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I loved it when Kovy pointed at Crosby, he gave the kid a lesson and its part of the mental game. Whats wrong with it? Is it any different from any other kind of trash talking? You say that was wrong but you liked Mahovlich tapping Tretiaks pads? Well I better not write anything else...
Well you should watch the video of the Henderson goal in 1972. When all the Canadians pour off the ice to maul Henderson eventually you see Pete Mahovlich break away from the pack and just give Tretiak a little light tap on the pads. This was not something done to rub it in. It was almost as if he was saying: "Great game, great series". It was far from the Kovalchuk "point". Mahovlich could have said and done a lot of things at this point. The Soviets were dead in the water with 34 seconds left. Let's face it, no team is going to squander that lead after that goal in that type of series and the Soviets were deflated right after that. It was very much a subtle nod from a respect standpoint that Mahovlich did.

Yeah, you really have to watch that video. They were polar opposites. Mahovlich's was good sportsmanship and Kovalchuk's was some of the worst cases of sportsmanship out there.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote