HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread IV–June 30 3pm–8 16 38 52 69 129 130 143 159 189–Draft Primer in OP

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 02:10 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Colorado fans seem to think Roy wants Drouin the most however Colorado has also requested another interview with Barkov. I think Colorado could select any of the 4 and feel happy.
It will be interesting to see if they try and talk with Florida and Tampa and work things out such that Tampa trades from 3 to 1 and the picks are Jones to Tampa at 1, Mac to FLA at 2, and Drouin to Colorado at 3.....

It would appear that Tampa wants help at D and moving up to #1 would guarantee that they add Jones....

Old
06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
It will be interesting to see if they try and talk with Florida and Tampa and work things out such that Tampa trades from 3 to 1 and the picks are Jones to Tampa at 1, Mac to FLA at 2, and Drouin to Colorado at 3.....

It would appear that Tampa wants help at D and moving up to #1 would guarantee that they add Jones....
Or maybe Colorado trades down to 3, picks up additional assets and still takes Jones because they know neither Florida or Tampa wants to select him.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:26 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Or maybe Colorado trades down to 3, picks up additional assets and still takes Jones because they know neither Florida or Tampa wants to select him.
I think Tampa is dying to upgrade on the blueline and if they move up, it's to get Jones.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
[UPDATED] Confirmed invites to Buffalo combine: Arnesson + Bailey + Beauregard + Bibeau + Bjorkstrand + Desrosiers + Erne + Etchegary + Fucale + Hagg + Klimchuk + Labbe + Lazar + Lindholm + Martin + Monahan + Morrissey + Mueller + Nastasiuk + Petan + Poirier + Rychel + Santini + Shinkaruk (?) + Wennberg + 50 or so others

22 eligibles have been invited to the USA National Junior Evaluation Camp in August at Lake Placid (I'll have a session pass again, so hopefully there's some Sabres there to update on).

Also, with how Regier's opted for second- and third-year eligibles in the past four drafts (Knapp, Legault, Boychuk, Lieuwen, Navin, Nelson, Ullmark, Austin), here's one to consider this year, Michigan's Andrew Copp (LC - 6'1" - 203):
Quote:
Copp was the second most productive player on the team after Christmas, with 19 points in 22 games. He rose from fourth line left wing who was a healthy scratch in the first series of the year to starting center by season’s end.

Michigan coach Red Berenson hopes the late surge is a sign to come for the rest of his career.

“I think when he came in he was just trying to just find a role on the team,” Berenson said. “At the start of the year I would have told you that he’s probably going to be in and out of the lineup depending on our team and other players and so on, but he just worked so hard in practice.”

“I think he’s a late bloomer. Some develop to a point and then they level off when they’re in school, or they level off after one year,” Berenson said. “He’s been a part-time football player and a part-time hockey player, so I think he’s going to be a late bloomer and he’s just starting to go.”

Link: http://www.annarbor.com/sports/forme...n-hockey-team/
Quote:
But around the midway point of the season, things began to click for Copp. He recorded his first multi-point game for Michigan in late December at the Great Lakes Invitational, and from there, finished the year with 19 points in his final 22 games, which included a seven-game scoring streak. The only '94-born player to score more points in college hockey from Christmas onward last year was Wisconsin's Nic Kerdiles, a second round pick of Anaheim last summer. With the scoring increase, Copp saw his ice-time increase as well, eventually working his way up to Michigan's top line by the end of the season. Copp showed good skating ability, plays well in the defensive zone and while he's not a tremendously gifted scorer, he plays a gritty game, and picks up points by being willing to go to the front of the net to make plays.

The concern with second-time eligible players is always going to be that they are further along their development curves than their younger counterparts, but that doesn't appear to be the case with Copp at all. If anything, Copp appears to be just scratching the surface of his potential. His football experience shows that he's a pretty gifted athlete, and the fact that he showed so much potential and improvement in his first full year focusing on hockey is very promising as well.

Another positive for Copp is that he is a very high-character player.

Link: http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-copp-michigan

Old
06-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
I also saw these YouTube clips on Twitter of prospects in their younger days.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:03 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

23 more days of this madness... its a double edge sword (no pun intended) I want the draft to be here so all this speculation and rumor can be put to bed, but at the same time these 23 more days have me yearning for darcy to make a bold move.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:22 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I also saw these YouTube clips on Twitter of prospects in their younger days.

I watched one of those on Gerbe and he was normal size. Funny.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:28 PM
SabresBills2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post

I thought I also saw somewhere Tampa was really interested in Nichushkin.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Rowley Birkin

Picking D/D at 8/16 would be horrifying

Sorry.... but its true....

Old
06-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post

Horrifying, really? Drafting BPA is how you draft in the NHL, period.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:03 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:

If we miss out on the big 6 forwards, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin, and Monahan then I dont care who they draft. After that the players are pretty even IMO for a while.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:

It would be horrifying when Mike Weber is the Sabres "small" defender. Horrifying for other teams.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Sabreality

I wouldnt have an issue with it, taking home 2 out of Risto, Zadarov, Pulock, Santini would be pretty sweet, especially considering the depth at F in this draft. 38, 52 & 69 could all land solid F prospects.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:41 PM
SoFFacet

I would be okay with D/D as long as they are different sided. We're not so barren on either side that it would justify two 1sts on a single side, but we have a lot of question marks on D overall. It would only come up if we were cornered into Risto at 8, and Nurse or Zadarov dropped to 16. Otherwise I'm comfortable with following up Risto with Horvat, Lazar, Gauthier, Shinkaruk, or whichever other forward falls to 16.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Moskau

Our prospect pool isn't deep enough at any one position to care about going D/D or F/F in the 1st. Just get BPA.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

RE: Andrew Copp.
Interesting prospect, for sure.
I imagine Red Berenson's former connections to BUF are no longer significant. [I remember when he worked with Jimmy Roberts for Bowman, and I remember when Berenson (and Roberts) played in the NHL.] Darth has had a penchant for acquiring a "2nd eligible" player or two each year, (and/or strategically allowing free prospect development at the collegiate level in the pre-Pegula era).

Old
06-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Our prospect pool isn't deep enough at any one position to care about going D/D or F/F in the 1st. Just get BPA.
Exactly. Whoever they deem to be the best skater should be their pick.

06-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Point of the draft you'd accept Fucale?

Old
06-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
52 is about as early as I can stomach them going goaltender.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Risto55
MCDAVID

I don't understand why we would go goalie with any pick in the first three rounds, I think Enroth is going to be the goalie for this team for the next 5 years at least. I personally want Lindholm/Monahan at 8 if we don't move up. At 16, I would love Zadorov, but if he's not there, Pulock, Shinkaruk, and Horvat all intrigue me.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:30 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
none at all. wont be there when we should even be considering goalie (mid rounds)

edit: I reconsider my statement after watching some video on Fucale and Adam Comrie. Id consider Fucale @ 16 and Comrie late in round 2

Last edited by CaptPantalones: 06-08-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old
06-08-2013, 01:30 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan97 View Post
I don't understand why we would go goalie with any pick in the first three rounds, I think Enroth is going to be the goalie for this team for the next 5 years at least. I personally want Lindholm/Monahan at 8 if we don't move up. At 16, I would love Zadorov, but if he's not there, Pulock, Shinkaruk, and Horvat all intrigue me.
I assume you mean starting #1 goalie, well, then I don't. Unless his development skyrockets (which I guess it could but I doubt it), I think he won't be an NHL #1 starting goalie anytime in his career. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
If we miss out on the big 6 forwards, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin, and Monahan then I dont care who they draft. After that the players are pretty even IMO for a while.
Should those six all go before the Sabres pick, its a worst case scenario for me.

In that position I'd try and move down a few spots and take Horvat, and then maybe a Zadorov at 16 if they really thought he was BPA.

Honestly, I'd hate it if they went D/D.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:12 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
This myth needs to stop. Our prospect pool is no better or worse than most. Considering the amount of young forwards we've acquired, it would be an intelligent strategy to draft two high end defensemen and throw them into the mix. Especially in a draft like this, where "BPA" nonsense won't matter as much with the difference in prospect ranking by player is marginal.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
This myth needs to stop. Our prospect pool is no better or worse than most. Considering the amount of young forwards we've acquired, it would be an intelligent strategy to draft two high end defensemen and throw them into the mix. Especially in a draft like this, where "BPA" nonsense won't matter as much with the difference in prospect ranking by player is marginal.
What myth? They aren't deep at any one position to worry overly much about forward or defense. I don't see a reason to be upset about that -- they could use help everywhere.

Closed Thread