HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread IV–June 30 3pm–8 16 38 52 69 129 130 143 159 189–Draft Primer in OP

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Honestly that's not an easy call. It not only incorporates a person's preference for player type but also how they project these two players. Monahan's offense is a little hard to peg due to playing on a crappy team this year. Lindholm plays on Euro ice. Both should be good two-way centers. Both will bring a physical aspect. Monahan will be able to grind it physically a bit more with his size but Lindholm is feisty.

Personally I'd go with Lindholm but I'd rather hand the choice over to someone with a better handle on both guys. Lindholm seems like a better shot at being elite while Monahan is probably the safer player to have a strong, long NHL career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I'd take Lindholm but it's not that big of a gap, I have them as my #5 and #6 prospects respectively. Either one of them dropping to us would be great.
Agree with both of you -- it's a tough call and I lean to Lindholm. Either at 8 would be excellent.

06-12-2013, 11:18 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Also, of the invites, Bibeau is a 6'1" second-year goalie and finished second in QMJHL SV% (.911); but Slepyshev, Pochiro and Djuse were listed as overage sleepers by McKeen's. Rounding out their list were first-years: F - Allen, Cassels, Henriksson, Possler, Sherman, Tolchinsky; D - Burroughs, Reno; and G - Guindon, Whistle.

The majority of their list are undersized, but Henriksson, Pochiro, Reno, Sherman and Slepyshev are 6'1"+. Allen is Michigan bound this year, while Reno and Sherman are off to RPI and Harvard respectively in 2014-15.

I may have a list of notable second-years somewhere, but another one of note is Dubuque's Frankie DiChiara (LW - 6'1" - 213) who's Yale-bound and a former LI Royal:
From a scouting standpoint, Joe Kolodziej from The Junior Hockey News speaks highly of Frank’s on-ice abilities: ”He exhibits an old-school player’s mindset – hard work always pays off, and if you compete harder than everyone else you will win more games. He reminds me of Johan Franzen (of the Detroit Red Wings). A big, strong player who is physically dominating when he needs to be, yet he has the skill of a goal scorer. A player who competes hard at both ends of the ice. He’s got a ‘no-quit’ attitude, he’s coachable, well spoken, and a natural born leader. His Clark Cup winning goal is a perfect example of his vision, physical ability and scoring touch. Frank DiChiara is a player that all young players should emulate on the ice.” Joe continued, “And off the ice… an incredible person.“ *** The Junior Hockey News ***

That was the list of known attendees at the Buffalo combine. There's a thread on the Prospects board attempting to track combines and/or interviews league-wide.
Thank you as always

Old
06-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Phrases like "whatever it takes" are meaningless because either the person doesn't mean it, or they do and that can be taken to a point of logical absurdity. There's a difference between taking a serious run at MacKinnon and just hurting yourself. What's wrong with trading up for Barkov instead? You can still sell off Vanek, Miller, and whomever else for more assets and maybe get another high pick next year by virtue of sucking.

The question here is why does it have to be MacKinnon? He's not the best prospect ever. There are other possible franchise players in this draft, and there will be others in the future.

Personnally id be happy getting Barkov. I dont see much difference between him and MacKinnon.

I feel its alot easier getting up to 3rd or 4th overall and not cost all that much where the team has to give up 4 other top assets in addition to #8 overall.

If they wanted to go from 3rd/4th to 1st it wont honestly cost that much.....look at fla-pitt deal where pit drafted MAF.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:53 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
I think Colorado wants Jones and realizes that MacKinnon is more valuable. So if they trade down a pick and can acquire some assetts they are doing the right thing. Buffalo would have to do a "Burke" esque thing to get Florida's pick and than move it to Colorado.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:11 AM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
I think Colorado wants Jones and realizes that MacKinnon is more valuable. So if they trade down a pick and can acquire some assetts they are doing the right thing. Buffalo would have to do a "Burke" esque thing to get Florida's pick and than move it to Colorado.
No real need truthfully. If Colorado wants Jones then MacKinnon will be there at 2 and Yzerman has already said he didn't like Colorado's asking price to move from 3rd to 1st.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Oh, this again. The "He did not want to stay in Nashville" argument is bunk. If he didn't want to stay in Nashville he wouldn't have given them the opportunity to keep him there until 2026. Weber preferred money to getting out of Nashville. He could've signed a one-year deal and gone UFA this summer, but he wanted to get paid more under the old CBA than he wanted out of Nashville.

So an NHL player wants to play for a winner? Tell me more!

First, if he asks for a trade, Nashville's going to tell him to go screw because they didn't just pay him $14m per in the first couple years to decide he wants out. Also, the Preds could get royally ****ed if he retired by the recapture provision given the heavy frontloading of the deal. Oh, and he's signed for 13 more years. Too bad, Shea.

Second, plenty of teams can see beyond the ends of their nose, and wouldn't trade for that contract. Not every professional organization has the mindset of an impatient fan.

What? The Predators aren't going to be making moves to keep Shea Weber happy; they're going to be making moves to solidify their core and better their roster so they can win more games and make the playoffs and, hopefully, win the Cup, which is the goal of pretty much every team. I have little doubt that Shea's feelings and emotions aren't even a consideration when they build their roster.

Haven't they already shown Weber this by matching his deal, signing Rinne, making a big push for Suter, and locking up Josi? But, again, Shea Weber's feelings and emotions probably don't rank in the top-100 reasons why the Predators will build their roster in the way that they do. It's a non-factor. He's signed with them until 2026, and he isn't going anywhere soon.
I think Shea Weber will ask to and eventually get traded if the Predators don't improve, and you don't. Leave it at that... I don't really want to debate Shea Weber's state of mind

Old
06-13-2013, 05:34 PM
JoinTheArmia

I don't know if you guys have considered this, but would you think about taking Mirco Mueller at 16 if he is not already taken? Had the best VO2 max results at the combine with 14:30, is defensively responsible and his big. (about 6'3" and a little over 200 pounds)

Buffalo could use a defenseman that can log a ton of defensive minutes. (Although there is McCabe, but it never hurts to have two.)

The only thing is, I don't know if he will slide past Philly if Nurse and Ristolainen are gone, or if he gets by Columbus at 14 because of chemistry with Ryan Murray. I think he could be a huge riser come draft day because of chemistry (like Derrick Pouliot) and stamina (like Hampus Lindholm).

Thoughts?

Old
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM

Yes I would

Old
06-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
I agree.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
No real need truthfully. If Colorado wants Jones then MacKinnon will be there at 2 and Yzerman has already said he didn't like Colorado's asking price to move from 3rd to 1st.
Re: Colorado

"Call my bluff"

Old
06-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheArmia View Post
I don't know if you guys have considered this, but would you think about taking Mirco Mueller at 16 if he is not already taken? Had the best VO2 max results at the combine with 14:30, is defensively responsible and his big. (about 6'3" and a little over 200 pounds)

Buffalo could use a defenseman that can log a ton of defensive minutes. (Although there is McCabe, but it never hurts to have two.)

The only thing is, I don't know if he will slide past Philly if Nurse and Ristolainen are gone, or if he gets by Columbus at 14 because of chemistry with Ryan Murray. I think he could be a huge riser come draft day because of chemistry (like Derrick Pouliot) and stamina (like Hampus Lindholm).

Thoughts?
I think he's certainly in amongst that big group of defensemen (Pulock, Morrissey, Theodore, Santini, Bowey, Bigras, et al.) that all could go at any time after the first 13-15 picks once Jones/Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadorov come off the board. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see draft him with one of their first two 1st rounders to reunite him with Ryan Murray, his former Everett teammate.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
JFB, are you still high on McCoshen?

Old
06-13-2013, 07:12 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
JFB, are you still high on McCoshen?
I know you wernt looking for mine but he is someone i have really wanted if he slips out of the first, calm with the puck strong on the man, good skater also.... continue

Old
06-13-2013, 11:49 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Devine specifically mentioned Pavel BUCHNEVICH....

Anyone seen him play much?

Possible 2nd rounder?

Old
06-14-2013, 02:46 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew94 View Post
Devine specifically mentioned Pavel BUCHNEVICH....

Anyone seen him play much?

Possible 2nd rounder?
Another skilled Russian winger with effort issues. One goal in 12 KHL games, was hurt during the season, and is lanky at 6'1, 160. His KHL coach said he needs to work on his off ice training. Other scouts say he is a defensive zone liability. His coming out party was at the U18 worlds where he had 11 pts in 7 gp. I haven't seen much outside of the worlds but that's a lot of baggage in such a deep draft.

On top of all that, he has a three year KHL deal. Very skilled but very very raw. Even guys who have coached him (Andrei Nazarov) claim he has a lot of work to do to become an NHLer.

Devils blog did a nice informative piece on him when debating whether or not he was worthy of their pick at 39.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:02 AM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Another skilled Russian winger with effort issues. One goal in 12 KHL games, was hurt during the season, and is lanky at 6'1, 160. His KHL coach said he needs to work on his off ice training. Other scouts say he is a defensive zone liability. His coming out party was at the U18 worlds where he had 11 pts in 7 gp. I haven't seen much outside of the worlds but that's a lot of baggage in such a deep draft.

On top of all that, he has a three year KHL deal. Very skilled but very very raw. Even guys who have coached him (Andrei Nazarov) claim he has a lot of work to do to become an NHLer.

Devils blog did a nice informative piece on him when debating whether or not he was worthy of their pick at 39.
Thanks!

Old
06-15-2013, 07:37 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

The Alexei Cherepanov prize for the best rookie of the season was won by Traktor forward Valery Nichushkin. (KHL)

I really hope we draft him.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Curtis Lazar (C, 2013), Edmonton Oil Kings

Shook off a slow start (27-8-9-17) to score 30 times in the final 45 games – and edge out Michael St. Croix for the team scoring crown with 38 goals .. sustained his momentum into the playoffs with a pair of early game-winners, but was not a factor in the finals against Portland (6-1-0-1, minus-5) after losing some teeth in a practice accident late in the previous series .. the only Oil Kings player to post a negative plus-minus rating in the postseason .. emerged in the 2012 playoffs as a key contributor in Edmonton’s first-ever WHL championship .. SCOUTING REPORT .. a responsible and diligent two-way forward .. makes valuable contributions with or without the puck – exploiting sharp hockey sense and good awareness .. powerful, balanced skater when in flight, however, could benefit from additional explosiveness .. hands are more quick and strong rather than finely skilled .. packs a hard shot whose release is both fast and fluid .. dangerous when trailing the rush with speed and firing a one-timer full bore from the slot .. steadily maturing and progressing as a playmaker .. now assesses options before joining the fray and will re-direct pucks to teammates instead of taking low-percentage shots .. should improve his finesse skills and puckhandling in traffic .. can move the puck however as he possesses adept one-touch skills and an ability to execute at a feverish tempo .. can get through defenses with his tenacity – getting key touches on the puck and overwhelming defenders with his speed and persistence .. displays a defensive conscience and positional maturity that belies his age .. neither big nor overtly mean, yet fiercely competitive with deceiving toughness .. continuously engaged both mentally and physically .. comes back deep in strong support positions – and will deliver stiff hits throughout his own zone .. functions most effectively in more of a secondary role – and not front-and-center in the attack.
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-b...-curtis-lazar/

Old
06-17-2013, 07:51 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agree with both of you -- it's a tough call and I lean to Lindholm. Either at 8 would be excellent.
If they are both there at 8, take one and then trade up from 16 to take the other like last year.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
If they are both there at 8, take one and then trade up from 16 to take the other like last year.

Ha. Yeah, there is always that option.

Monahan doesn't get the love here since he's likely going at 6 or 7, but man, he'd slot in nicely with the collection of centers they are accumulating. Lindholm would be a great pickup, no doubt, but that takes nothing away from Monahan's overall game. Big, rangy, 2-way centerman? Yes please.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:10 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ha. Yeah, there is always that option.

Monahan doesn't get the love here since he's likely going at 6 or 7, but man, he'd slot in nicely with the collection of centers they are accumulating. Lindholm would be a great pickup, no doubt, but that takes nothing away from Monahan's overall game. Big, rangy, 2-way centerman? Yes please.
With the way ZG looked down the stretch and in the playoffs, I wouldn't be upset if the Sabres can't give up a ton to trade up and instead stockpile a whole lot of guys that are big, gritty, play both ends, and compete.

And then perhaps "earn" a top 3 pick in 2014 and maybe 2015....

Old
06-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
NYHJ - Buffalo Sabres draft primer: Part I

Old
06-17-2013, 02:24 PM

I would probably take Monahan over Lindholm, I also don't think the gap is quite as big between Monahan and Barkov as it may look right now.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I would probably take Monahan over Lindholm, I also don't think the gap is quite as big between Monahan and Barkov as it may look right now.
I'd take Monahan too. I also don't think the gap will be that big in the future the same way I don't think the gap between Mackinnon and Barkov is that big.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Lindholm > Monahan.

Closed Thread