HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread IV–June 30 3pm–8 16 38 52 69 129 130 143 159 189–Draft Primer in OP

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
How many of you guys would be happy with Nurse? He seems to have a similar skill set to Myers, except with a nasty edge. Not to mention 6'5'' 200 lbs, with excellant hands, speed, and will fight for his team mates.

I don't think hes anywhere near 6'5" but he's still a big boy. I've read some reports from scouts that he's even more athletic than Jones is which intrigues me. I think with Nurse you have to ask yourself how much you can coach him because low Hockey IQ has been used to describe him on more than one occasion. So as you said much like Myers was in his draft year although Nurse is regarded higher than Tyler was at this stage.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
McTankel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I don't think hes anywhere near 6'5" but he's still a big boy. I've read some reports from scouts that he's even more athletic than Jones is which intrigues me. I think with Nurse you have to ask yourself how much you can coach him because low Hockey IQ has been used to describe him on more than one occasion. So as you said much like Myers was in his draft year although Nurse is regarded higher than Tyler was at this stage.
He is 6'5'' 195 lbs from lastest combine report.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

Old
06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
I have zero interest in Nurse... picking him at #8 would be insufferable

Old
06-04-2013, 09:36 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
How many of you guys would be happy with Nurse? He seems to have a similar skill set to Myers, except with a nasty edge. Not to mention 6'5'' 200 lbs, with excellant hands, speed, and will fight for his team mates.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'd prefer Horvat, but if we went D then I'd be fine with that pick.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:

They had quite a few typos on measurements, if they were fixed and he's really 6'5" I'm shocked. He grew about 3" in the past year then.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Someone would have to find this for sure, but I remember hearing that Nurse wasn't even 6'4". Either way I do not want this guy at 8. Of all available options at that pick he is the one guy I want them to stay away from. Would much rather have Zadorov or Ristolainen and even feel safer picking Pulock, Santini, or Meuller later in the draft over Nurse.
Yikes. Can we put this under 'Ugly'?

Old
06-04-2013, 09:44 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I have zero interest in Nurse... picking him at #8 would be insufferable
Bingo. ..I don't want to wait 5 -7 years to see if he picks up the game and develops. If I'm picking top ten I willing to put three to four years max. May have not been tour reasoning Jame but its how I see it and I'm glad I found someone who shares my sentiment.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Yikes. Can we put this under 'Ugly'?
why? Nurse has zero hockey sense. I consider him the most overrated player in the draft... by far.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:48 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
They had quite a few typos on measurements, if they were fixed and he's really 6'5" I'm shocked. He grew about 3" in the past year then.
That's the official OHL and Soo height.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
why? Nurse has zero hockey sense. I consider him the most overrated player in the draft... by far.
I thought that was Horvat.

Because he is arguably the second best Dman in this draft. To pick a potential 3rd rounder ahead of him is a bit crazy.

Zero hockey sense? Nice try. He has a much higher upside than Ristolainen (also a higher bust factor).

Last edited by ottsabrefan: 06-04-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old
06-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
OHL has Nurse listed at 6'5, 192: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/9247

06-04-2013, 10:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Because he is arguably the second best Dman in this draft. To pick a potential 3rd rounder ahead of him is a bit crazy.

Zero hockey sense? Nice try. He has a much higher upside than Ristolainen (also a higher bust factor).
He said "later in the draft"...indicating basically take a forward at 8 and grab one of them later on.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I don't know which player you are referring to as a potential 3rd rounder... and im not sure whose opinion you are regurgitating

Quote:
Zero hockey sense? Nice try. He has a much higher upside than Ristolainen.
his lack of hockey sense will prevent him from reaching his upside... Ristolainen doesn't look half as clueless as Nurse on the ice, and Risto is playing against men.

Nurse has made his name on his elite athleticism. He has all the tools... no doubt. But when you look lost in juniors... it's a bad sign for development.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:03 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
He said "later in the draft"...indicating basically take a forward at 8 and grab one of them later on.
Ok...but we own the 16th pick and Nurse will be gone long before that one. Not sure I follow any of the reasoning.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:11 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
I don't know which player you are referring to as a potential 3rd rounder... and im not sure whose opinion you are regurgitating

his lack of hockey sense will prevent him from reaching his upside... Ristolainen doesn't look half as clueless as Nurse on the ice, and Risto is playing against men.

Nurse has made his name on his elite athleticism. He has all the tools... no doubt. But when you look lost in juniors... it's a bad sign for development.
I was mentioning Santini as a potential 3rd rounder. I don't think he will be, but I think he has about as much likelihood in the 1st as the 3rd. I see him landing in the 2nd.

From what I have seen he definitely hasn't looked lost. And he very well could end up being the best Dman to come out of this draft. And it wouldn't be a stretch. Ristolainen will almost suredly not be.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I was mentioning Santini as a potential 3rd rounder. I don't think he will be, but I think he has about as much likelihood in the 1st as the 3rd. I see him landing in the 2nd.
I'll take that bet. Santini will be a 1st rounder.

Quote:
From what I have seen he definitely hasn't looked lost. And he very well could end up being the best Dman to come out of this draft. And it wouldn't be a stretch. Ristolainen will almost suredly not be.
Ristolainen already is the most complete defensemen in the draft. If he played in canadian juniors, instead of a euro mens league, he'd be a top 5 pick. Risto already thinks and sees the game at a professional level. He deals with a larger rink and a faster game (than CHL). He plays against men at 18 and logs top pairing shutdown minutes against pros, not kids... when the puck is on his stick he processes the game quickly and effortlessly. His hockey sense is off the charts. He will be the first defensemen from this draft class to make an impact on an NHL roster. He's NHL ready.

Do you think Tyler Myers has good hockey sense? I'm only asking, to gauge whether you have any idea what hockey sense, or lack thereof, looks like.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Ristolainen already is the most complete defensemen in the draft. If he played in canadian juniors, instead of a euro mens league, he'd be a top 5 pick. Risto already thinks and sees the game at a professional level. He deals with a larger rink and a faster game (than CHL). He plays against men at 18 and logs top pairing shutdown minutes against pros, not kids... when the puck is on his stick he processes the game quickly and effortlessly. His hockey sense is off the charts. He will be the first defensemen from this draft class to make an impact on an NHL roster. He's NHL ready.

Do you think Tyler Myers has good hockey sense? I'm only asking, to gauge whether you have any idea what hockey sense, or lack thereof, looks like.
Do you see Risto starting in the NHL next year?

Old
06-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Do you see Risto starting in the NHL next year?
Excusing my lack of knowledge on contract/career scenario.... yes, if he comes to NA he plays in the NHL immediately

he's so good... so cerebral...

Old
06-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Excusing my lack of knowledge on contract/career scenario.... yes, if he comes to NA he plays in the NHL immediately

he's so good... so cerebral...
I think both Risto and Zadorov could play in the NHL next year, but they would also both be better served with another year of development in their respective leagues.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:49 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
And he very well could end up being the best Dman to come out of this draft. And it wouldn't be a stretch. Ristolainen will almost suredly not be.
Based on what?

Old
06-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Based on what?
Based on the lack of a real argument I'm guessing. Risto, Zadarov, and Nurse are all sitting in that 8-16 range and they all project to be very good defensive prospects, biggest difference being Nurse is the least likely to have an offensive impact. Hard to say the least well rounded defenseman in the discussion will be the favorite to have the best career.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:32 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Based on the lack of a real argument I'm guessing. Risto, Zadarov, and Nurse are all sitting in that 8-16 range and they all project to be very good defensive prospects, biggest difference being Nurse is the least likely to have an offensive impact. Hard to say the least well rounded defenseman in the discussion will be the favorite to have the best career.
Nurse had 41 points this year to Zadorov's 25. Both are pretty raw offensively though.
The biggest difference I see in the 3 is in risk. I see Ristolainen as the most well-rounded of the three and least likely to bust because of how well he thinks the game on both sides of the puck. Zadorov's offensive game may never become anything, but his level of defensive acumen leads me to believe he will be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL regardless. I wasn't a huge fan of him earlier in the year, but I've warmed up to him a bit. Nurse has the most question marks, IMO. He's got high upside and sheer athleticism, but he's also the biggest project in the bunch. With the depth and quality of this draft, I don't see the need to take that gamble at 8.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Vogl writes "Sabres consider fellow Finns to pair with Armia" .. nothing new there if you've been following this thread.

Quote:
Rasmus looks pretty chubby. He will fit right in with Myers as under conditioned defenseman.
By that logic, THIS guy is probably chubby and unconditioned too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Josh Morrissey ‏@Morrissey_10 1m
Off to Buffalo tomorrow for a few days and some testing! #MarathonMonthAndABit continues! The countdown is on! #exciting
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Linus Arnesson was at the Sabres combine. I think Shinkaruk was there as well, but no confirmation really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Circumstantially, it appears Shinkaruk was there.
I wasn't monitoring Twitter today, so where'd you see Arnesson noted? Also, I would've added Shinkaruk to the ongoing list earlier, but like you guys, had no clue if the time of the photos correlate to Lazar's tweets or not.

[UPDATED] Confirmed for Buffalo combine: Arnesson + Bailey + Bjorkstrand + Desrosiers + Erne + Etchegary + Hagg + Labbe + Lazar + Lindholm + Martin + Monahan + Morrissey + Mueller + Petan + Poirier + Rychel + Santini + Shinkaruk (?) + Wennberg + 55 or so others

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
I'd say he's not 6'3" nor 6'5" but more likely 6'4" as per THIS image with a 6'4" Seth Jones.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:20 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Vogl writes "Sabres consider fellow Finns to pair with Armia" .. nothing new there if you've been following this thread.

By that logic, THIS guy is probably chubby and unconditioned too?

I wasn't monitoring Twitter today, so where'd you see Arnesson noted? Also, I would've added Shinkaruk to the ongoing list earlier, but like you guys, had no clue if the time of the photos correlate to Lazar's tweets or not.

[UPDATED] Confirmed for Buffalo combine: Arnesson + Bailey + Bjorkstrand + Desrosiers + Erne + Etchegary + Hagg + Labbe + Lazar + Lindholm + Martin + Monahan + Morrissey + Mueller + Petan + Poirier + Rychel + Santini + Shinkaruk (?) + Wennberg + 55 or so others

I'd say he's not 6'3" nor 6'5" but more likely 6'4" as per THIS image with a 6'4" Seth Jones.

Alex Wennberg made mention of it on twitter, re: Arnesson.

Snart hemma med krigarna från Buffalo!! #kriga @ArnessonLinus @lindholmelias @Robbanhagg

Translated from Swedish by Bing Translator
Soon back home with the warriors from Buffalo!! #kriga @ArnessonLinus @lindholmelias @Robbanhagg

Old
06-05-2013, 06:26 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:

Well, you know I think Horvat has good hockey sense, how is that? Or Hodgson. Myers, not the worst, not the best either.

Anyways, I think Risto is ready next year, I just don't think he will be the 2nd best defenceman when all is said and done. I just don't see the major improvement that the others could have (i.e. Nurse, Zadaorov). I think he is almost the finished product now. Not a bad thing, just I like Nurse's physicality a bit more and his improving offence. I think he figures it out in his own zone.

Closed Thread