HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread IV–June 30 3pm–8 16 38 52 69 129 130 143 159 189–Draft Primer in OP

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 06:42 AM
ottsabrefan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Based on the lack of a real argument I'm guessing. Risto, Zadarov, and Nurse are all sitting in that 8-16 range and they all project to be very good defensive prospects, biggest difference being Nurse is the least likely to have an offensive impact. Hard to say the least well rounded defenseman in the discussion will be the favorite to have the best career.
To me Nurse has improved the most of the 3 Dmen we are discussing and if he keeps on this current rate I think he will be the best (of them). He is the most physical of the 3, actually enjoys scaring guys, and his offence has greatly improved. I think if he can improve in his own end a bit he will be a monster as I don't see any other holes. He has scary potential with his size, skating, shot, etc. I don't see Zadarov as being as consistent physically (at least to the point of scaring anyone), and I think Nurse can be everything that Ristolainen is with that intimidation factor. To me the key is can he clean up his own end, which I think he can.

And I'm not sure when I said he would be the 'favourite', I just said that he very well could be the best player. He could also not be if he doesn't clean up his own end. But, if he does, look out.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Since there's no short amount of talk about picks 8 and 16...

Between 38-69 and 129-159 we have 3 and 4 picks, respectively. They claim this is a deep draft. Who could possibly be getting looks at each bracket??

Old
06-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Dream scenario

1) jones
2) MacKinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin
6) Monahan
7) Nurse
8) Lindholm
9) Shinkaruk
10) Dallas trades 10 to Buffalo for 16 + 38, select Rasmus Ristolainen

Old
06-05-2013, 07:56 AM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Dream scenario

1) jones
2) MacKinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin
6) Monahan
7) Nurse
8) Lindholm
9) Shinkaruk
Pretty much the exact scenario I've been thinking of myself. Somebody above us goes D allowing lindholm/Monahan to slip, and then trading up 2-4 spots to get a D man

I'd also be ok with a reversal, taking nurse/risto at 8 and getting wennberg/shinkaruk/horvat at 10-13

Old
06-05-2013, 08:14 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Dream scenario

1) jones
2) MacKinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin
6) Monahan
7) Nurse
8) Lindholm
9) Shinkaruk
I would high five Darcy!

Old
06-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
To me Nurse has improved the most of the 3 Dmen we are discussing and if he keeps on this current rate I think he will be the best (of them). He is the most physical of the 3, actually enjoys scaring guys, and his offence has greatly improved. I think if he can improve in his own end a bit he will be a monster as I don't see any other holes. He has scary potential with his size, skating, shot, etc. I don't see Zadarov as being as consistent physically (at least to the point of scaring anyone), and I think Nurse can be everything that Ristolainen is with that intimidation factor. To me the key is can he clean up his own end, which I think he can.

And I'm not sure when I said he would be the 'favourite', I just said that he very well could be the best player. He could also not be if he doesn't clean up his own end. But, if he does, look out.
Ristolainen is more physical and has a better shot... it's clear you have very little first hand knowledge on him.

He's not the "hunter" that Nurse is in the physical department, he's more of the Regehr type of physical defensemen. The guy who punishes you on the boards shift after shift, and abuses you in front of the net.

Ristolainen is one of the nastiest high end players in the draft

Risto is better than Nurse in pretty much every measurable way...

Old
06-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Dream scenario

1) jones
2) MacKinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin
6) Monahan
7) Nurse
8) Lindholm
9) Shinkaruk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Pretty much the exact scenario I've been thinking of myself. Somebody above us goes D allowing lindholm/Monahan to slip, and then trading up 2-4 spots to get a D man

I'd also be ok with a reversal, taking nurse/risto at 8 and getting wennberg/shinkaruk/horvat at 10-13
It's been established for some time that Lindholm falling to #8 is our best-case scenario.

As to the part about trading up with Dallas, I don't see it happening. For one, Dallas has built a nice stable of LHD prospects (Oleksiak and Morrow, among others), but have a dearth of RHD prospects. For that reason, I can't imagine them trading out of #10 if Ristolainen is staring them right in the face--Ristolainen won't be there at 16.

If Buffalo wants to trade up to get a defenseman, or any other player, I'd prefer them to work something out with Phoenix at 12. Custance reported that Maloney may be looking to trade back and pick up an asset in the process. Also, we could probably get that deal done with #52, and retain the #38 pick. If the Sabres really like Zadorov/Wennberg/Whomever, I'd be fine with 16 + 52 for 12 in order to pick that guy.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
I think both Risto and Zadorov could play in the NHL next year, but they would also both be better served with another year of development in their respective leagues.
Just one opinion:

Corey Pronman‏@coreypronman21 Apr
No RT @Giroux_Dangles: @coreypronman is Zadorov nhl ready

Old
06-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Just one opinion:

Corey Pronman‏@coreypronman21 Apr
No RT @Giroux_Dangles: @coreypronman is Zadorov nhl ready
He's maybe ready defensively but it's similar to guys like Kassian, Foligno or Girgensons where they're probably ready for the league physically but you question if you might stifle their offensive outlook by not giving them the room to develop that aspect of their game with more ice time somewhere else. Zadorov has a lot of room for growth in his offensive game and he's probably best served given big minutes for another year.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He's maybe ready defensively but it's similar to guys like Kassian, Foligno or Girgensons where they're probably ready for the league physically but you question if you might stifle their offensive outlook by not giving them the room to develop that aspect of their game with more ice time somewhere else. Zadorov has a lot of room for growth in his offensive game and he's probably best served given big minutes for another year.
I agree. Can't really see it. It's situational of course, but it's doubtful he'd play a major NHL role, whereas he would with a loaded London team who's hosting 2014 Mem Cup.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Jame
Dream '16

^ bakes sighting

Old
06-05-2013, 12:12 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

He is also a RHD which has a league wide if not organizational scarcity. _IF_ all else being equal I would rather take a righty.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ristolainen is more physical and has a better shot... it's clear you have very little first hand knowledge on him.

He's not the "hunter" that Nurse is in the physical department, he's more of the Regehr type of physical defensemen. The guy who punishes you on the boards shift after shift, and abuses you in front of the net.

So I'm guessing skating isn't measurable?

I'm not saying Ristolainen isn't physical, he's just not as physically dominant as Nurse. Nobody is scared to play Ristolainen. That can't be said for Nurse. I think Ristolainen will be a real good player, I just think Nurse is getting leaps and bounds better each month and will eventually pass him. I think many mock drafts and player rankings reflect this in why he is ahead of Ristolainen. Although, I'm sure you'll pin it on him being from Finland...

Last edited by ottsabrefan: 06-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM

There is nothing I dislike more in scouting than someone who has never played goalie or have a strong background in goaltending evaluating goalie prospects.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:57 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
He is also a RHD which has a league wide if not organizational scarcity. _IF_ all else being equal I would rather take a righty.
We're actually kind of good on the right side organizationally. Granted, it takes Myers rebounding and Pysyk's continued development to make that truly a reality, but those two combined with Ehrhoff being better on his off-side (IMO) and being inked for the next eight years makes us pretty solid in that regard.

I'd actually almost prefer a lefty to be the defensive rock to Myers/Error, but I guess that's what Rej and McCabe are for...

Old
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
We're actually kind of good on the right side organizationally. Granted, it takes Myers rebounding and Pysyk's continued development to make that truly a reality, but those two combined with Ehrhoff being better on his off-side (IMO) and being inked for the next eight years makes us pretty solid in that regard.

I'd actually almost prefer a lefty to be the defensive rock to Myers/Error, but I guess that's what Rej and McCabe are for...
Sekera also has spent a lot of time playing on the right side and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for him.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post

Hence the "...if not organizational scarcity" part. I guess my point was that if you have two of the same player and one is a lefty and one a righty the RHD has slightly more value and is harder to acquire.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Yotes fan coming in peace. Was long under the impression that Buffalo would be going forward at 8, but it looks like you guys could be going D as well.

Which leads me to my question: would there be any interest in Gormley for the 8th? He is pretty close to making his NHL debut next season - maybe not on opening night, but sometime during the season. Could eventually be a perfect partner for Myers.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-05-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old
06-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Dream scenario

1) jones
2) MacKinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin
6) Monahan
7) Nurse
8) Lindholm
9) Shinkaruk
Yep, that's the dream baby.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yotes fan coming in peace. Was long under the impression that Buffalo would be going forward at 8, but it looks like you guys could be going D as well.

Which leads me to my question: would there be any interest in Gormley for the 8th? He is pretty close to making his NHL debut next season - maybe not on opening night, but sometime during the season. Could eventually be a perfect partner for Myers.

If the draft plays out Jones/Mac/Drou/Barkov/Nich/Monahan/Lindholm, then I'd have to give thought to it.

#16 + would be a definite yes from me but obviously that's not what you'd be looking for.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
N.Y. Orangeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
I agree. Can't really see it. It's situational of course, but it's doubtful he'd play a major NHL role, whereas he would with a loaded London team who's hosting 2014 Mem Cup.
More Baker, Please.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yotes fan coming in peace. Was long under tha impression that Buffalo would be going forward at 8, but it looks like you guys could be going D as well.

If there is a medium + along with gormley I would on one condition Monahan/Lindholm are gone. If they are there no deal.

Old
06-05-2013, 07:12 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
If there is a medium + along with gormley I would on one condition Monahan/Lindholm are gone. If they are there no deal.
Define "medium +" - a 3rd?

Well, quite honestly we'd only make a play for the 8th if Monahan/Lindholm were still on the table, so it appears we've reached the same impasse with you as with EDM HFers lol.

Old
06-05-2013, 07:27 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Zach Nastasiuk tweeted he was at the Buffalo camp.

Old
06-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Zach Nastasiuk tweeted he was at the Buffalo camp.
Good. He's a guy with the sort of game Buffalo fans would (mostly) enjoy. I wouldn't mind him in the mid-rounds at all.