HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

isles and flyers interested in thomas

Old
07-23-2013, 11:55 PM
sebsisles

vCash: 500
isles and flyers interested in thomas

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...kmK/story.html

sebsisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:04 AM
intangible

I could see the Isles, but Philly? C'mon. That's just ridiculous. They already have two NHL caliber goalies under contract.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:17 AM
boredmale

I am surprised Thomas wasn't scooped up quickly, my guess is his agent overvalued how much Thomas is worth(after a year off) and priced him out of alot of team price ranges. Personally I think Chicago might make alot of sense if Thomas is willing to take a lowball offer.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:18 AM
JoeCool16

Isles need to start moving towards youth in goal, at least for half of the pairing. A Thomas-Nabokov tandem scares me a bit.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
I could see the Isles, but Philly? C'mon. That's just ridiculous. They already have two NHL caliber goalies under contract.
Two backup calibre goalies...

Thomas didn't play for NYI so I don't understand why he would have interest there. There's probably mutual interest with Philly. If the Flyers sign him to a bonus heavy contract, I think it's a good move.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Isles need to start moving towards youth in goal, at least for half of the pairing. A Thomas-Nabokov tandem scares me a bit.
I think if one trend is true in the NHL its unless you think you have a top tier goalie coming up you can find a suitable goalie to be a stop gap. Its the teams that get stuck on the goalie that's not panning out thinking he's the goalie of the future that suffer rather then the one that can cut bait and move on to the next free agent rental.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Yzlamic Extremist
Johnny Ugly

What were the conditions of the trade that the Isles made? Don't they owe the Bruins a 2nd round pick if he plays one game for them?

Yzlamic Extremist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:27 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Bayless View Post
What were the conditions of the trade that the Isles made? Don't they owe the Bruins a 2nd round pick if he plays one game for them?
I could be wrong but I believe if he plays one game for any team under Thomas current contract which ran out July 1. The fact he became a UFA makes that condition null and void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf Karlsson View Post
Thomas didn't play for NYI so I don't understand why he would have interest there.
It's not like he has many other options and it's a potential open roster spot.

Old
07-24-2013, 12:35 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
The Flyers WERE interested. Not anymore.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Bayless View Post
No, his contract has expired. The Isles would only owe the Bruins a 2nd rounder if we tolled the contract and then he played a game.

New contract, no picks.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:46 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
No, his contract has expired. The Isles would only owe the Bruins a 2nd rounder if we tolled the contract and then he played a game.
1. I am wondering if Thomas and his agent wanted that condition(the 2nd rounder if he ever plays a game under that contract) thrown in their to avoid the Islanders tolling his contract in order for him to wave his NMC to get traded to us

2. I wonder if they regret that choice now. lol

Old
07-24-2013, 12:47 AM
jojo

I can see the Isles but the Flyers? I somehow doubt that they'd make a move that would increase the level of drama surrounding the goalie position.

jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:59 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think he lowered his Value due to some of his comments in the media.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:16 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I can see the Isles but the Flyers? I somehow doubt that they'd make a move that would increase the level of drama surrounding the goalie position.
Yes, and the Flyers had their choice of pursuing Thomas or Emery and chose Emery - who also wanted to return to Philly. I really think the Flyers believe Mason will rebound and become a starter for them longer term. He really did look good in his audition, and his puck moving is a real benefit. It's Brodeur's secret: if you get the puck out yourself, you don't need to stop as many shots.

I can also see Emery extending too. They have worked out together in Toronto for a couple summers, so they can work together as teammates too.

In an ideal world, they both play great and sign 3-4 year extensions.

Given it's my Flyers, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:36 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Yes, and the Flyers had their choice of pursuing Thomas or Emery and chose Emery - who also wanted to return to Philly. I really think the Flyers believe Mason will rebound and become a starter for them longer term. He really did look good in his audition, and his puck moving is a real benefit. It's Brodeur's secret: if you get the puck out yourself, you don't need to stop as many shots.

I can also see Emery extending too. They have worked out together in Toronto for a couple summers, so they can work together as teammates too.

In an ideal world, they both play great and sign 3-4 year extensions.

Given it's my Flyers, I'm not getting my hopes up.
If the Flyers really believe the bolded then I feel sorry for you as a Flyers fan.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Icratox

What will flyers do with 3 great goalies? that's just exaggerating if you ask me. On the other hand i can see thomas fit in isles quite nice

Icratox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:16 AM
bigd

Bottom line, if a team is going to take a chance on him it's going to have to be an incentive based contract. If he comes back it will be with his tail between his legs. I just don't see that happening. No one even knows what kind of shape he's in. Certainly not game shape.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:18 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
I have no compliant inviting TT to camp and having TT/Poulin/Nilson battle for the backup spot. If the vet beats out the kids, they go back to the ahl.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:05 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

If I was the Islanders I'd be concentrating on giving my younger guys more playing time in net. A good young team like that would take a step backwards this year if their goalie tandem's average age was 38 or 39.

07-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdjn18 View Post
lol those of you chastising thomas for his comments are retards. he is a good hockey player. thats all that matters. and if you agree with his actions of the ice he doesn't seem like a bad dude its only if you involve yourself in the smallness of politics. complete morons. wheres your sense of realism? LOL @ U
Only way this even remotely could make sense is if it is CERTAIN that the Isles won't move into Brooklyn until 2015-2016, when he'd be long gone.

Everyone finds it amusing when people expect a player at 27 or 28 to just 'figure it out' and up their game. Why does anyone think that after 1 year off, Tim Thomas is going to learn how to shut up? He could easily become the next John Rocker. New York eats people like him alive.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:28 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
If I was the Islanders I'd be concentrating on giving my younger guys more playing time in net. A good young team like that would take a step backwards this year if their goalie tandem's average age was 38 or 39.
Why does it matter how old the tandem is? Unless they see Poulin as the future at the position then I would rather have a backup with a track record. A real step backward would be to miss the playoffs because Nabakov is below average and they don't have a viable alternative.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Why does it matter how old the tandem is? Unless they see Poulin as the future at the position then I would rather have a backup with a track record. A real step backward would be to miss the playoffs because Nabakov is below average and they don't have a viable alternative.
Quiet, buttoned-up, cheap-a## Garth Snow is going to sign Tim Thomas to be a backup? I think not.

The reasonable thing to believe is that Thomas's agent is trying to drum up a guaranteed contract by making it look like the guy has multiple options. They've picked two teams with uncertain goaltending situations as foils.

Nothing to see here.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I don't see these two scenarios working.

I think if Timmy wanted a starting job, he should have begged and pleaded and signed a contract on July 1st.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
The Flyers won't be interested. They're set in their G.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Chief

Thomas is a two-time Vezina winner (in the last 5 seasons) and a Conn Smythe to boot. Since everyone missed half a season last season, I don't think the time off is that big a deal. Yes, he's got baggage but teams will carry the baggage for the right price. I would think Thomas is asking for more than teams are willing to pay - for now.

Last edited by Chief: 07-24-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote