HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Oli Maata Vs Joe Morrow?

Old
06-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Tyrion101
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Oli Maata Vs Joe Morrow?

I was curious on who has the better pride to their overall game? I've heard Maatas name for awhile, and wanted to know if it was wise of the pens to trade Morrow rather than keep him over Maata?

Tyrion101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Jack DiBiase
wrist-oh-lie-nun

Oli Mata is better overall game than Jo Moro. That's what made Moro expendable for the Pens.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:04 AM
sirMcDuck

Ol Mata, friggin hard name to type correctly!

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:54 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirMcDuck View Post
Olli "Hakuna" Matata

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 03:07 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirMcDuck View Post
I look forward to seeing and hearing all the ways his name could possibly be misspelled and mispronounced once he gets to the NHL. The 100% correct spelling of his name is Olli Määttä, but we'll probably have to live with Maatta.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Smallz

I love how if you would have asked this question before Morrow was traded, the consensus answer would have been unquestionably Morrow

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
I love how if you would have asked this question before Morrow was traded, the consensus answer would have been unquestionably Morrow
Absolutely. You just have to go back to a couple pre-deadline proposals and Morrow was a non-starter, while Maatta had his name in 75% of proposals.

But now, Maatta > Morrow

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:

As a Pens fan, I would've preferred to keep Morrow over Maatta, even if his AHL transition wasn't as smooth as we expected.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Oli Mata is better overall game than Jo Moro. That's what made Moro expendable for the Pens.
Quote:
the only thing you could look at in Morrow's case was is that the d-man the Pens were willing to part with or was Morrow the guy the Stars wanted? i believed before that Morrow could be the better d-man in the long run just because he has more offensive skill than Maatta.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:14 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Maata.

06-03-2013, 10:11 AM
The Saw Is the Law

I've always said Määttä

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:16 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Maata is definitely the better all-round player. Morrow is superior offensively, though.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:28 AM

I wrote these before the season started. IMO Morrows the better player but Maata fits what the Pens need more moving ahead. I still feel the same way about a lot of Morrows game but Maata turned a lot of his mistakes around this year. He stopped forcing plays so much and really became a more solid defenseman.

If I had to make comparisons of upsides... Morrow shows some qualities of Giordano. He active, passes well and looks to be a nice PPQB. While Maata reminds me a little of what we've seen from Hamrlik in the past. Valued more for doing everything well and playing a solid 20-25 mins a night.

Joe Morrow

Skill

Morrow has an absolute bomb of a shot with a quick release. He also seems smart about taking something off of it just to get it on net creating chaos in front.

His passing reminds me a little of Goligoski or Rafalski. He seems to know what he wants to do before he gets the puck and then moves it in the blink of an eye. IMO he's a smart passer more than a creative or natural one. He does go tape to tape well on long passes even to players in motion.

I'm not sure of his overall speed, without question it’s good, but he is a powerful and mobile skater. He doesn't seem to be a puck rusher but he uses his skating to get to loose pucks and get them out of danger.

Physical game

When Morrow gets nasty I almost want to say he's like a Bieksa type but his passing is better and that nasty side isn't there all the time for that comparison to stick. The best that I can say about Morrow is that his compete level is high. He competes all over the ice and has the strength to back it up. He kind of reminds me of Letang in that aspect.

Outlook

He’s a very well rounded defenseman for the Pens. Even though he seems NHL ready I'm still hoping the Pens handle him, and all of their skilled defenseman, with kid gloves. They have to walk the fine line between letting them do what makes them great while weeding out the mistakes. Most of that is the mental game and IMO better handled at the AHL level.

Also want to add that I think he's pretty sound defensively and pro coaching can weed out some small stuff. He over chases a little bit but the Pens seem to want that from their Dmen.

Olli Maatta

Skill

Maatta has a really good shot and likes to use it. I'm not so sure it’s overly hard but he does get it on net and is smart enough to understand shooting lanes.

Maatta can really zip a puck tape to tape. He's also creative but tries to force a lot of plays. I'm hoping the Pens can walk the fine line of letting him do his thing while curbing bad habits. I do think that once becoming a pro he will simplify his game a little bit and the cleaner pro game will help him out.

Maatta covers a lot of ice and is a very active player. I don't think he's that fast right now but his foot speed is good and he keeps his legs churning. In terms of a look on the ice he reminds me a lot of a young Gonchar.

Physical game

Maatta has good size but is not physical in terms of hitting. He is involved all over the ice and pressures pucks well. He ties up players in front of the net, blocks shots and will take hits to make the right play. He's a gamer and competes up and down the ice. Also want to mention that he will stick up for himself and his team. He's not wimpy by any means.

Outlook

Maatta is definitely a risk taker. He jumps up into the play and tries some high risk plays. IMO he does more good than bad but he does force plays... a lot. He has to simplify parts of his game and the question is if he can do that while also putting up numbers. The Pens seem to really like active defenseman so maybe he'll fit right in and they groom him the right way.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Who knows, he might end up being as good as Ran Suer or Hea Weer.

Kulleroinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Zeitung

I like Oil Määttäätätätä. I think he is better than Juo Mårråd

Zeitung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:07 AM
wej20

Morrow has a lot of the tools to be a top 4 dman and 1st unit PP game, it's a question of how well he can put them together.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Yeah, but thats pretty normal around here.

-Vagrant
Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:19 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
Olli "Hakuna" Matata
bahahah

I see Olli as more of a sure-thing, with less upside. He's the typical two-way, steady dman who could end up becoming a reliable top-4 shutdown kind of player.

Morrow has more offensive upside, a huge shot, but perhaps less chance of reaching his full potential. He's still working on transitioning to the pro-game, especially with things like reading the play. He's probably another AHL season away, though he'll probably at least play a handful of games with Dallas next year.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 04:36 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's simply because in 2011, there was a training camp and a pre-season. In 2012, there was not. In 2011 pre-season, Joe Morrow looked really good in the one or two games he played and scored a goal off a nice one-timer, and later became super-hyped by a lot of Pens fans.

I'm a little bit different than the average fan: I don't really care about what the average fan thinks, but rather about what professional scouts, professional people in the hockey world, and the Penguins' own management & scouting personnel feel about their players. These are the opinions that really matter. Clearly, in the Pens management's own eyes, they had question marks about Joe Morrow's game and thought that Maatta and Pouliot were superior players.

I am humble enough, and smart enough, to realize that I do not have a better read on these players than the Pens' own scouts & management, and will defer to them in their analysis of these players. In a statement made by one of the Pens' journalists after the Morrow/Morrow trade went down, he stated that members of the Penguins management believed that Pouliot and Maatta both projected to be better NHL Dmen than Joe Morrow. One can interpret this statement as a compliment to the former two as much as they could interpret it as an insult towards Joe, but the message is the same: they liked Maatta & Pouliot better, and thus Morrow was expendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
As a Pens fan, I would've preferred to keep Morrow over Maatta, even if his AHL transition wasn't as smooth as we expected.
There's no question that Morrow possessed some skills that were intriguing (his skating and his shot, in particular), but the Pens obviously saw enough holes in his game that they decided to draft Derrick Pouliot at #8 instead of non "pure offensive Dman" like Trouba, or highly touted forwards like Forsberg, Terravainen, Wilson and others.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: if the Pens truly believed that Morrow was going to be the next Duncan Keith or Sergei Gonchar, they wouldn't have drafted Pouliot at #8.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Captain Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
That's simply because in 2011, there was a training camp and a pre-season. In 2012, there was not. In 2011 pre-season, Joe Morrow looked really good in the one or two games he played and scored a goal off a nice one-timer, and later became super-hyped by a lot of Pens fans.

I'm a little bit different than the average fan: I don't really care about what the average fan thinks, but rather about what professional scouts, professional people in the hockey world, and the Penguins' own management & scouting personnel feel about their players. These are the opinions that really matter. Clearly, in the Pens management's own eyes, they had question marks about Joe Morrow's game and thought that Maatta and Pouliot were superior players.

I am humble enough, and smart enough, to realize that I do not have a better read on these players than the Pens' own scouts & management, and will defer to them in their analysis of these players. In a statement made by one of the Pens' journalists after the Morrow/Morrow trade went down, he stated that members of the Penguins management believed that Pouliot and Maatta both projected to be better NHL Dmen than Joe Morrow. One can interpret this statement as a compliment to the former two as much as they could interpret it as an insult towards Joe, but the message is the same: they liked Maatta & Pouliot better, and thus Morrow was expendable.

There's no question that Morrow possessed some skills that were intriguing (his skating and his shot, in particular), but the Pens obviously saw enough holes in his game that they decided to draft Derrick Pouliot at #8 instead of non "pure offensive Dman" like Trouba, or highly touted forwards like Forsberg, Terravainen, Wilson and others.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: if the Pens truly believed that Morrow was going to be the next Duncan Keith or Sergei Gonchar, they wouldn't have drafted Pouliot at #8.
This. If you look at the Pens recent draft strategy, it's D, D and more D. Basically, Shero's only mission in life at this point is to surround Sydney, Geno, Neal and the boys with great skating tough D. Dumoulin, Harrington, Pouliot ( the best of the bunch), Maata and Bortuzzo are all part of that impressive stable. Oh by the way, they'd be crazy not to sign Brian Bickell in the offseason, they could really use a power forward like him, much better solution than Cooke at that position. Morrow was definitely expendable in this context.

Captain Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

No. The Pens draft BPA. They've said it over and over again.

Morrow had absolutely nothing to do with who they drafted in that spot.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:53 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Olli Maata. I've preferred him since day 1.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Olli Maata. I've preferred him since day 1.
Same for me, wanted the Sabres to grab him last year at 12, didn't expect the fall he got. Was happier with Grigs and Girgs though.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Zirakzigil

Morrow was made expendable by drafting Pouliot not Määttä. Depending how the Pens fair against the Bruins will say how worthwhile the trade was. I wasnt really happy that Morrow was moved, given how the Pens lack a true point man on the power play (Letang isnt that) but if Pouliot works out the Pens wont miss Morrow.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
Morrow is with the Stars now, it's definitely Maatta now.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote