HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECF-Game #2| The Mad + The Grudge and the "V"|Mon. June, 3rd|8:00pm

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Morrow and Kennedy have swapped places in the line-up. bold move Dan.

https://twitter.com/pgshelly/status/341563757044068353
Lol, no idea what that achieves. TK has been solid on that line, while morrow has been meh. Once again, the change he needs to make...he doesn't. Shocker.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I have a feeling Geno's going to come out on a mission tonight.
God-mode Geno.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:21 AM
bucckevin

I hope it's open ice like periods 1 and 2 of the first game. It was scary watching the Pens O but it was equally exciting watching the Bruins go on so many odd man rushes.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:25 AM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post

I have a feeling Geno's going to come out on a mission tonight.
God-mode Geno.
Geno -trick

3 goals, 3 goal cam poses from inside the net, 3 beat downs

Old
06-03-2013, 10:26 AM
bucckevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by themethod7 View Post
Really hoping that the Bruins players are as overconfident as their fans - that game was a hell of a lot closer than the 3-0 score would indicate, and if it weren't for a few bounces going the other way, I think that game ends in a Pens win. No need to overhaul the game plan or lineup, the bounces will even out over a series - play the same game you did Saturday and the Pens come out on top.
The same can be said about the Bruins. 3 on 1? 2 on 0 that Marchand messed up? They could've scored 5-7 goals themselves.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Scotty Pucks
Jagr Peanut Butter

I'm living in Pittsburgh, and even though the man is a disgusting Penguins homer, and I think even a lot of you hate him, I saw Mark Madden wrote in one of his columns that the team that loses Game 1 in the Conference Finals loses the series 70.4% of the time. Yikes.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucckevin View Post
The same can be said about the Bruins. 3 on 1? 2 on 0 that Marchand messed up? They could've scored 5-7 goals themselves.
That's true, we gave up so many odd man rushes it was disgusting.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Yep, people tend to forget that. When they won the Cup in '09 they were down 0-2 in at least one series, and I think it was 2. When they won the Cup in '91 they were down 0-2 to the Bruins. I don't expect them to lose tonight but if they do it's not the end of the world.
True but in 2009 we lost those 2 series first two games on the road, not at home, right?

Old
06-03-2013, 10:30 AM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Pucks View Post
I'm living in Pittsburgh, and even though the man is a disgusting Penguins homer, and I think even a lot of you hate him, I saw Mark Madden wrote in one of his columns that the team that loses Game 1 in the Conference Finals loses the series 70.4% of the time. Yikes.
That's true, our only saving grace is it seems 100% of the series you call, are incorrect.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:30 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Love Mark Madden, he's very opinionated which makes him entertaining. He isn't always right obviously but whatever. People who get worked up over media pundits need to relax.

That statistic isn't as bad as I thought it would be, tbh.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:34 AM
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themethod7 View Post
Really hoping that the Bruins players are as overconfident as their fans - that game was a hell of a lot closer than the 3-0 score would indicate, and if it weren't for a few bounces going the other way, I think that game ends in a Pens win. No need to overhaul the game plan or lineup, the bounces will even out over a series - play the same game you did Saturday and the Pens come out on top.
Yeah, i'm not hitting panic mode at all. Although boston had a couple missed opportunities on some open nets with us, that game would have been a 5-5 game going into OT.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that in game one, they already got under the skin of some of our superstars to the point where it threw off the whole team and we were making some really bad decisions. I hope they took a step back and forgot about everything that just happened, because if not, this series is going to look a lot like the philly one (Without the high scoring). Boston is a scary good team, with more talent then the ink on paper shows, and this series is going to be a really good one. Probably will be talked about for a couple years as an ECF measuring stick, assuming its a long series.

Good feeling about tonight though, go pens!

Old
06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
MtlPenFan

Madden's a decent hockey mind, but he takes things too far and talks way too much.

He was calling Rask a "clown act" before the series started, basically referring to him as at BEST an average goalie. That's just dumb.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Love Mark Madden, he's very opinionated which makes him entertaining. He isn't always right obviously but whatever. People who get worked up over media pundits need to relax.

That statistic isn't as bad as I thought it would be, tbh.
He knows his hockey, and is the best when it comes to hockey talk in pitt, but thats not saying much considering his only competition at that time slot is the fan, which only likes to talk about mid season baseball and off season football during hockey playoffs. They make tim benz look like a genius when they talk hockey.

As for the 70% statistic, it says a lot about conference finals, but I'm not much of a stats guy myself, so i'm hoping this one doesn't really matter.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Murray View Post
Yeah, i'm not hitting panic mode at all. Although boston had a couple missed opportunities on some open nets with us, that game would have been a 5-5 game going into OT.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that in game one, they already got under the skin of some of our superstars to the point where it threw off the whole team and we were making some really bad decisions. I hope they took a step back and forgot about everything that just happened, because if not, this series is going to look a lot like the philly one (Without the high scoring). Boston is a scary good team, with more talent then the ink on paper shows, and this series is going to be a really good one. Probably will be talked about for a couple years as an ECF measuring stick, assuming its a long series.

Good feeling about tonight though, go pens!
this really shouldn`t be a surprise. They won a cup right? they also went through two teams that eliminated Pitt in the playoffs in MTL and Philly.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:45 AM
cheesedanish87

We talked about mostly negatives since the pens lost game 1, but one thing that really surprised me is how much more physical Pens were, Boston looked really soft in that area

Old
06-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

As Cole has often mentioned in the past, we need to activate the defense in offensive zone entries. When a defenseman moves up to join the attack, he should read the quality of puck possession at the offensive blue line.
Just make sure they don't stop and “hang out” – they have to get back to the blue line on the other end.
We don’t want it to cost us the other way and give the Bruins a chance to get an odd man rush.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Not going to be around to reply so I am not starting things

I know a lot of you guys have been saying if the Pens play the way they did the first 40 they will win the series.

This is my reply
It took the Bruins 40 minutes to get the rust off, expect more of the third period than the first period going forward, even balanced game with a slight edge to the Bruins becuase of there structure.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
conooper

Quote:
There's also the President's Trophy curse, and Chicago is still looking like Stanley Cup favorites to me.

The Pens also have never beaten the New York Islanders in a playoff series.

C'mon man. We got 'em right where we want 'em.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post

I know a lot of you guys have been saying if the Pens play the way they did the first 40 they will win the series.

This is my reply
It took the Bruins 40 minutes to get the rust off, expect more of the third period than the first period going forward, even balanced game with a slight edge to the Bruins becuase of there structure.
The score and circumstances helped to dictate the way the Bruins looked and the Pens looked. Why would it take the Bruins 40 minutes to get the rust off but not the Pens? Once the Bruins got the 2 goal lead, they did a great job clogging up the neutral zone. They played extremely well with the lead. If the Pens score early on the PP in the 3rd, it would have been a totally different 3rd period.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post

This is my reply
Should I even be surprised that you missed the point of what everyone's saying.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fate View Post
that font for the lineups is hurting my eyes
Sorry, but I didn't want it to be full focus.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
psu711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
As Cole has often mentioned in the past, we need to activate the defense in offensive zone entries. When a defenseman moves up to join the attack, he should read the quality of puck possession at the offensive blue line.
Just make sure they don't stop and “hang out” – they have to get back to the blue line on the other end.
We don’t want it to cost us the other way and give the Bruins a chance to get an odd man rush.
We need to do 100% the opposite of this.

Every time 58 is in deep its a 2 v 1 or 3 v 1 the other way.

This team's front 9 should be able to score 3 goals a game (save bad breaks and opposing goalies standing on their heads). Holding the other team to 1 or 2 should be the priority. Not questionable D pinches constantly.

Let our D contribute on the PP and the classic Murray/Orps shots (i.e. hold the blue line and get soft wristers to the net.)

Yes, 58 and, at times, P-Mart make some amazing offensive moves, but i would gladly trade the occasion offensive brilliance for consistent D.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:31 AM
zacharoni16

vCash: 50
Love the GDT!

Remember remember the 3rd of June, when Boston came to play, but could not break Voukon

Old
06-03-2013, 11:31 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Morrow and Kennedy have swapped places in the line-up. bold move Dan.

https://twitter.com/pgshelly/status/341563757044068353
Not exactly the type of creativity I was hoping for . . .

That said, I would like to see Bylsma show some creativity (a) in throwing Sid out there when Julien doesn't expect it, (b) in skating Malkin until he drops on any line, including with Sid, and (c) in giving Neal a lot more minutes (and if that means Morrow or whoever goes out with him and Geno instead of Iggy, then all the better perhaps).

With the whole 'we'll roll four' thing, Julien knew when to throw out Bergeron and he knew when to give Chara extra shifts out there. He knew when Sid and Geno were coming out, and that's why he got his matchups pretty much every single time after the opening faceoff.

On one level, one can say 'matchups' shouldn't matter. On the other hand, I don't know why any coach would throw away a competitive advantage, be it the home ice change or having the two best players in hockey and not using them as lineup sledgehammers.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:34 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm really hoping to see Iggy on the first PP.

I would also like to see the Pens attack Rasks feet more when at a bad angle. Time it with a center drive to really make that POP work.

I don't think you beat the B's with a net front... it has to be more about timing.
You won't . . .

Pens Inside Scoop ‏@PensInsideScoop 1h
#Pens with the usual PP setup: 58 71 87 14 18 on 1st group. 7 2 12 10 9/36 on 2nd group -SK

For as much as I've been impressed tactically with Bylsma since the Isles series, his bench management continues to be amateur hour.

Closed Thread