Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Roz

vCash: 500
I'd guess Darcy Ashley. It'll be his first game back tomorrow.

Old
10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Dgill

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
I'd guess Darcy Ashley. It'll be his first game back tomorrow.
Duh on my part. Ashley definitely seems like the more obvious choice.

Old
10-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Roz

Well, this settles where Duke will be for the next little while. A quick search for hockey players who suffered similar injuries shows that he could be out for as little as 8 weeks to as much as a year or more. I guess it'll depend on how bad the tear is and whether or not he needs surgery.

As awful as this situation is, I'm looking forward to seeing who steps up to try to fill his role. I think this is Lovell's call to answer.

ETA: Per Willy, Trey is out a minimum of six weeks. Hopefully that means this isn't a season-ender.

Last edited by Roz: 10-10-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old
10-11-2013, 09:54 AM
MikeyP

Terrible News. I really hope Trey can recover quickly. He is probably my fave Moosehead.

Old
10-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Roz

Big test tonight. The undefeated #1 team in the CHL rolls into town just as we lose one of our top 4 defenders.

Looking forward to seeing Ashley back in the lineup and really looking forward to hearing the hometown crowd welcome Drouin back for the first time. But I'm dreading the game a little bit, lol. BLB pretty much scored at will against Moncton last night and were so efficient with their chances - 3 goals on 9 shots in the first.

But if we catch them tired (this is the second of a 2 in 2 for BLB), if Drouin and Ehlers click, and if Fucale is at his Fucaliest, we just might be able to steal a win.

Old
10-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Just watched Jo walk by the Midtown. He's injured for tonight's game. Hopefully nothing serious.

Old
10-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Roz

Just got back from the rink. This game was very, very encouraging and utterly devastating in equal measure.

What an awful way to lose a hockey game. Complete collapse in 30 seconds and BLB made absolutely no mistake. I think this is the first loss I've seen that rests at least partially on Dom's shoulders: When there's only 4 guys on the ice on a power play in the final two minutes of the game, that's on you, coach.

Honestly, I think this game puts the Q on notice: The Drouin-less, Lewis-less Mooseheads came very, very close to defeating the Armada. They played easily the best game of the year so far and outplayed BLB for some pretty long stretches. They had at least 2 or 3 sure goals robbed by Marcoux. Falks's goal was unreal. Lovell worked his ass off. Weegar and Ehlers were dancing around absolutely everybody. Andrews reminded me of Fournier with his behind-the-net play. Even Ciampini looked good. Basically, BLB needed us to **** up royally in order to win this game.

I suspect SJ will be on the receiving end of a lot of Moose frustration tomorrow, lol.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 422
That was a tough loss losing the game with a minute and a half left after working hard to finally tie things up. Also the fact BLB was shorthanded when they scored the decisive goal hurts too. I was a little disappointed that Drouin didn't play.

Old
10-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Roz

Willy Palov just tweeted that Jo is still out.

ETA: Leblanc, Shewfelt, Jacques, Lewis the other scratches. Darveau (!) starting.

Last edited by Roz: 10-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old
10-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Libbs

Couldn't have asked for a more perfectly executed game from the Moosehead. They were solid defensively while Darveau made a number of good saves when called upon.

Boy is Ehlers really coming into his own. His confidence grows every game and made a few nifty plays tonight. Can't wait to see him and Drouin create some chemistry.

Old
10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272*
Forgot About Sid

First moose game of the year and Drouin and Zach aren't playing :/

Ehler is fun to watch. Plays a very quick reacting cerebral game. Good defensively as well. Very smart quick player. Full of confidence.

Old
10-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Roz

Ehlers is absolutely flying. Dom said on John Moore's post-game show that Jo will likely be back for Tuesday and if not then, probably Friday. He stressed that it was a minor injury that should not keep him out of the lineup for very long. So hopefully we'll see the two of them back on a line again soon.

I was just listening to the call, but it sounds like both Lovell and Andrews each had another quietly solid game.

Old
10-13-2013, 05:14 AM
mooseheadhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Couldn't have asked for a more perfectly executed game from the Moosehead. They were solid defensively while Darveau made a number of good saves when called upon.

Boy is Ehlers really coming into his own. His confidence grows every game and made a few nifty plays tonight. Can't wait to see him and Drouin create some chemistry.
Darveau is looking good so far. early in the season but i like what i see

Old
10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Roz

Via MikaŽl Lalancette at TVA:

Quote:
On ne prend aucune chance ŗ Halifax. Jonathan Drouin va aussi rater le match de demain contre Cap-Breton. #Mooseheads
"Halifax is not taking any chances. Jonathan Drouin will also miss tomorrow's game against Cape Breton"

Old
10-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
Via MikaŽl Lalancette at TVA:

"Halifax is not taking any chances. Jonathan Drouin will also miss tomorrow's game against Cape Breton"
God dam it.

Old
10-15-2013, 07:42 AM
OMG

coaching

i think the true colors of coaching were shown....4 forwrds on the power play killed them as they were beat numerous times at the point for odd man rushes...BLB won most of the battle for the pucks with their speed except when they puck was down low as BLB actually is a small team....Campini did play one of his better games but he is still a 200 pound anchor on his line(skating)....Ehlers better pick up his head as there was a few near misses and once he goes through the league once teams will have a better idea how to line him up,...if a dman lines him up it will be a train wreck

Old
10-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Roz

Jim Midgely was away coaching the NS Boys U15 team at the Atlantic Challenge Cup this past weekend. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Mooseheads had two bench errors (the 4 players on the ice vs BLB and the too many men penalty vs SJ) while their staff was short-handed.

That said, I don't understand how a staff's "true colours" can be exposed by a single error, as if that suddenly undoes two seasons of exceptional coaching.

Old
10-15-2013, 08:09 AM
OMG

i think its more two seasons of exceptional players...... most coaches could coach Mac, Drouin, Frk, Fournier, Fucale,Alb, and the likes....i truely think Midgely does not get enough bench credit and Cam for putting two great teams together IMO

Old
10-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Roz

Fournier was only with the team for one of Dom's seasons and by his own admission came into his own in a way that he didn't with any of the other three teams he played for.

Abeltshauser grew into being a MUCH better player under Dom's staff. I remember there were serious calls from fans to trade him throughout his first two seasons.

Frk is incredibly talented but also a real handful. It took a good, disciplined coaching staff to get rid of a lot of bad habits.

I could go on. Having an incredibly talented group is not a free ticket to a season that dominant. It takes both skill and discipline to ensure really talented kids don't let their egos get in the way of a system. Really talented squads frequently underachieve because their coaching staff can't control them...see the 2008 Mooseheads, who showed that Cam Russell was much more valuable to Halifax as a GM than as a coach.

And I can definitely buy Midgely not getting enough credit, assistant coaches never do...but Cam? He's now pretty much held up as the poster boy for how to build a championship team. I don't see him as being under-praised at all.

Old
10-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggie View Post
i think the true colors of coaching were shown....4 forwrds on the power play killed them as they were beat numerous times at the point for odd man rushes...BLB won most of the battle for the pucks with their speed except when they puck was down low as BLB actually is a small team....Campini did play one of his better games but he is still a 200 pound anchor on his line(skating)....Ehlers better pick up his head as there was a few near misses and once he goes through the league once teams will have a better idea how to line him up,...if a dman lines him up it will be a train wreck
They usually always play four forwards on the powerplay with usually Ehlers on the point. Aside, the Mooseheads don't have any defenseman either that are strong quick skaters aside from Weegar and Murphy to a degree.

This is not a new system that was implemented in the last two games.

Old
10-15-2013, 10:42 AM
c_robio

I didn't like Ryan on the point as others have mentioned. Doesn't really suit him. I'd like to see him put in a similar role as Fournier last year.

I was at the Blainville game and the puck movement was really strong on the PP with Ashley back. He can make those passes through the box. I like that Ehlers moves the puck really quickly. When Drouin comes back I'm hoping they go with...

Ashley-Ryan-Drouin
Ehlers-Weegar

With Ashley or Drouin taking faceoffs on their strong side

Ehlers and Drouin are interchangeable but I've always preferred Drouin on the half boards myself

Old
10-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Roz

@HFXMooseheads:

Quote:
Alcalde, Drouin, Lindsay, Lussier, and Lewis out of the lineup tonight.
Surprised that Lussier is out again. I guess he was more banged up than they originally thought?

Old
10-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 422
I'll be at the game tonight, I expect it to be a quiet crowd being a Tuesday night and plus a long weekend just ended. Too bad no Drouin tonight, I hope to see him Friday night.

Old
10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Roz

It's amazing how much the PK has improved since the start of the season. That PK goal tonight was the first one they let in since the game in Sherby. They're 29/31 in that stretch. I can't imagine there's a hotter PK in Canada right now.

Listening to the post-game show, Dom said there are four Tampa staffers in town right now to work with Jo/the Mooseheads. Didn't give any specifics on what kind of work they're doing. Also said Ashley and Andrews will share the captaincy until Lewis returns.

Old
10-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Libbs

Gutsy effort for the 1st and 2nd... then the wheels fell off for CB in the 3rd. Halifax had quite the "puck luck" tonight and the hard work of the guys payed off. Andrews was a beast all night. Not as sound defensively as the SJ game on Saturday though. Jacques kept getting stuck out on the ice for way too many extended shifts and often showed his inexperience by treating the puck like a hand grenade.

Ciampini keeps getting softer and softer every game. He's luck he scored that goal after whiffing on the wide open cage and then getting just enough of it to put in in the net on the 2nd attempt. My patience has seriously run out with him.

Fucale was his solid self again tonight. I think he's answering his critics who questioned how good a goalie he is. Anyone know why he's back to a white mask. IT wasn't too long ago where there was a story on Fucale's mask and how he designed it all summer with his neighbour.

Closed Thread