*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Roz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
And someone that can bomb it from the point. Right now they are missing that big shot.
Yup. Now that offense has really started to roll (who thought that would be the least of our worries at the start of the year, lol), our needs have become pretty clear: A tough d-man, a power play cannon, and an experienced bottom 6er. It just becomes a question of whether we have the assets to pull that off. We no longer have to worry about trading big to get a goal-scorer, but it looks like this is going to be a seller's market. There's not going to be too many bargains to be had.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:59 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
If you put aside the first period, the Moose had a great game tonight from everyone, except Ciampini. Did anyone else notice the jump and puck movement that Drouin and Ashley had when Ryan was placed on that line instead of Ciampini? There was one point in the second that Drouin had to deke around two Drummondville defenders and Ciampini to make a play..
I cringe every time I see he is on the ice. The new D-guys seem to be getting better with each passing week. Lussier and Jacques both, and even the call-up last night was not terrible.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:05 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
We had a 6-1 lead after 2 and I though we were playing pretty good... but then the 3rd period happened and realized we weren't all that good but Auger gave us that lead. Definitely not used to seeing a team under Ducharme fall asleep for an entire period with a large lead.

I've often criticized Murphy for his play, but not afraid to give him due credit. Tonight was by far his best game as a Moosehead and was the best player on the ice tonight.
Murphy and Weegar are definitely coming into their own this year.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:07 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
They're going to move Duke for a different 20 year old I would bet.
We can hope....

Old
11-15-2013, 02:09 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
In terms of the Powerplay I don't think personnel is the problem persay. It's more execution and with all the tinkering, guys still getting used to each-other.

One drawback is the only time Ehlers and Drouin play together is on the PP. A few quick slick passes from Drouin that Ehlers could have popped in had he been expecting them, its just 2 guys who aren't 100% on the same page yet imo.

This powerplay needs time and coaching.
I still dont understand why Ehlers and Drouin arent on the same line? Anyone? What am I missing here?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:10 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
Weegar expects to play tomorrow night.
Yay!!!!

Old
11-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
I still dont understand why Ehlers and Drouin arent on the same line? Anyone? What am I missing here?
Two reasons, I think:

1. Spread out the scoring between as many lines as possible
2. Ehlers needs to play alongside big bodies who can give him room to work

Old
11-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Libbs

The Ehlers/Ryan/Andrews line has been out most consistent line. Ehlers and Andrews have shown great chemistry together.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
In light of the news that video almost brought a tear to my eye. The irony is I actually spoke with Trey and Lovell Saturday night. He was looking forward to getting back on the ice
When is the last time a team CUT their captain, a kid with a lot of heart, because he might get injured again? Especially with a 1/2 year left after winning the Cup. And everyone thinks that makes perfect sense?

Old
11-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Raimu

Quote:
I cringe every time I see he is on the ice. The new D-guys seem to be getting better with each passing week. Lussier and Jacques both, and even the call-up last night was not terrible.
That was Brennan Bailey, we carried him as an extra last year during the second half. I can see him sticking as a spare part this year too.

Interestingly enough he had the #42 Jersey last night, which is a number we haven't seen since I can remember.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
When is the last time a team CUT their captain, a kid with a lot of heart, because he might get injured again? Especially with a 1/2 year left after winning the Cup. And everyone thinks that makes perfect sense?
I'll repeat what I posted:
Quote:
They had been pushing him in practice to see if he could keep up with the pace without being bothered by injury, he couldn't. It's an injury that won't get any better unless you get surgery and that would keep him out for a while. The issue kind of resolved itself in that sense. There was no way he was going to keep up in the Q without further aggravation of the injury. It's a really unfortunate way for him to leave the Mooseheads but there was really no other choice. Hopefully he doesn't do more damage in Jr. A, has a good season, gets surgery and plays in the CIS next year.
Ducharme said last night that they needed to make a decision and they needed to go with a 20yr old guy who is 100% healthy rather than a guy like Trey who can't keep up at the Q level without being bothered by his injury that won't be getting better without surgery. There are too many question marks surrounding his health and a decision to cut a 20 yr old had to be made.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Roz

Quote:
Why do you keep talking about his injury as if it's in the past? As you've been told many times before:

There is no "might get injured again." He is injured. Right now. As we speak. It will get worse. Every single shift he plays will aggravate it. It will not heal until he gets surgery. This is not like a concussion where he'd be fine so long as he doesn't ding his head. Any strenuous physical activity at all will cause the tear to worsen.

If he played with the Mooseheads this season - especially if they go on a deep playoff run - it is very, very likely that he'd damage his hip permanently and end his career. Do you think that makes perfect sense?

ETA: Lines tonight

Ciampini (wut) - Drouin - Ashley
Ryan - Andrews - Ehlers
Connor - Danny- Meier
Shewfelt - Leblanc

Hardie-Duke
Murphy - Weegar (yay)
Jacques - Lussier
Bailey

Fucale
Darveau

Last edited by Roz: 11-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old
11-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
Why do you keep talking about his injury as if it's in the past? As you've been told many times before:
It's pretty obvious that poster has a relationship with Trey and is trying to slander the Mooseheads anonymously on these boards (like anything posted here is ever taken seriously by people). You can keep logically explaining the situation but you're probably better off talking to a wall.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Roz

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that poster has a relationship with Trey and is trying to slander the Mooseheads anonymously on these boards (like anything posted here is ever taken seriously by people). You can keep logically explaining the situation but you're probably better off talking to a wall.
Ha ha, Probably so.

Hey, we're first overall in the Q! Enjoy it before the BLB-Victo game finishes!

Old
11-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Ha ha, Probably so.

Hey, we're first overall in the Q! Enjoy it before the BLB-Victo game finishes!
Not to mention BLB has like 4 games in hand on us lol

Old
11-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Roz

Quote:
Not to mention BLB has like 4 games in hand on us lol
All the more reason to party!

But for real, that was a pretty ugly win. Dom needs to remind these guys that the first period is part of the game, not the warmup.

Another solid game from Zach...but we'll pretend that last goal never happened, lol. Seemed like he wasn't expecting a shot from there, cheated a little bit, and got burned. Still deserving of his 3rd star nonetheless. That's the second game in a row where he's kept us in it after a sloppy first period.

It took everything in me not to scream at the tv when Ashley kept failing to clear it when it was still 4-2. Blind cross-ice passes are, uh, not the best choice when the other team has an extra attacker out.

Great to see Jo celebrating goals with intensity again. That little bit of swagger after he scored the hat trick goal felt like someone had delivered a basket of kittens right to my door.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:11 PM
jolly roger

Quote:

There is no "might get injured again." He is injured. Right now. As we speak. It will get worse. Every single shift he plays will aggravate it. It will not heal until he gets surgery. This is not like a concussion where he'd be fine so long as he doesn't ding his head. Any strenuous physical activity at all will cause the tear to worsen.

If he played with the Mooseheads this season - especially if they go on a deep playoff run - it is very, very likely that he'd damage his hip permanently and end his career. Do you think that makes perfect sense?

ETA: Lines tonight

Ciampini (wut) - Drouin - Ashley
Ryan - Andrews - Ehlers
Connor - Danny- Meier
Shewfelt - Leblanc

Hardie-Duke
Murphy - Weegar (yay)
Jacques - Lussier
Bailey

Fucale
Darveau
Thank you doctor Roz.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Roz

You rang?

Old
11-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Thank you doctor Roz.
Do you not understand what labral tears are? Having it in his hip guarantees he'll aggravate it plenty of times considering how important hip muscle strength is in hockey. He can push through it at a lower pace but puts him at a very high risk for further infringements. He needs arthroscopic surgery to repair it, until then it won't get better.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Roz

Quote:
Do you not understand what labral tears are? Having it in his hip guarantees he'll aggravate it plenty of times considering how important hip muscle strength is in hockey. He can push through it at a lower pace but puts him at a very high risk for further infringements. He needs arthroscopic surgery to repair it, until then it won't get better.
I wish someone would have told Falks about how low-risk it is to play with a labral hip tear. He probably would have held off on surgery and he'd still be in the lineup too. Darn.

ETA: Per the Herald article on tonight's game, Watt is concussed and Alcalde has a hand injury.

Last edited by Roz: 11-15-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old
11-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Dgill

Mooseheads with another win, 16 of their last 19. Drouin tallied another four points tonight. Nice to see he's trying to make the scoring race interesting.

Old
11-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Libbs

Hasn't he got something silly like 23 points in his last 7 games?

Old
11-17-2013, 09:33 AM
NikoEhlers
Quack

Nice to see Mooseheads doing well now.

And Ehlers with 2 goals 1 assist

Old
11-17-2013, 09:50 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Listen, unless you're his parent, doctor or trainer or have access to his medical records you have no idea the degree to which this can be treated. Sometimes surgery is required, but not always. Sometimes steroidal injections work or other conservative treatment. But I'm quite sure something could have been worked out for a kid like that. You can have whatever attitude you want on here, but that doesn't make it look any better to the outside world. AND, I've never met this kid, nor do I know him or his family, NOR, for that matter, his doctors. Do you?

Old
11-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Listen, unless you're his parent, doctor or trainer or have access to his medical records you have no idea the degree to which this can be treated. Sometimes surgery is required, but not always. Sometimes steroidal injections work or other conservative treatment. But I'm quite sure something could have been worked out for a kid like that. You can have whatever attitude you want on here, but that doesn't make it look any better to the outside world. AND, I've never met this kid, nor do I know him or his family, NOR, for that matter, his doctors. Do you?
No... but some of us do know Trey and know things not privy to the public.

Closed Thread