HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Report: It's down to two

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Report: It's down to two

I already posted this on the Ducks board, but since most of you don't visit there often, I decided to post it here too.

On Sportsnet, it was mentioned a new GM for the Ducks would be announced within a few days. Reportedly, the two candidates remaining are former Rangers GM Neil Smith and former Canucks GM Brian Burke.

Discuss.

Old
05-23-2005, 06:02 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Either way i dont see them being that good and LA Kings is still the team of SOCAL no matter who Anahiem's GM is

Old
05-23-2005, 06:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Either way i dont see them being that good and LA Kings is still the team of SOCAL no matter who Anahiem's GM is

I thought they were the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim?

Old
05-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I say a battle royale with rusty pick-axes!

Old
05-23-2005, 06:33 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Who do the Duck fan(s) want?

Old
05-23-2005, 06:53 PM
mytor4*

burke by a long shot if i'm doing the hiring.

Old
05-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Everest

If someone in the Ducks office is silly enough to let Neil Smith slip through to the "final rounds of decision making" they are probably silly enough to go right ahead and hire him.
I'd take Brian Burke in a heartbeat.

Old
05-23-2005, 06:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest
If someone in the Ducks office is silly enough to let Neil Smith slip through to the "final rounds of decision making" they are probably silly enough to go right ahead and hire him.

True that.

Old
05-23-2005, 07:08 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest
Apparently being the GM of a Stanley Cup Championship Team has value. Go figure.

Obviously, that's a more decorated record than your 'heartbeat' choice. Let alone Burke ever being the executive of a team that was even in the SC Finals.

Old
05-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Yammer

I'm betting Smith: nicer, less controversial, not currently being sued, not currently suing anyone, has a Cup.

Old
05-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Vlad The Impaler

At the risk of also going against the grain, I don't see much difference between the two, except Burke is very popular because he has a loud mouth and likes to put himself on a pedestal.

Burke and Dudley are the masters of PR and (not) coincidentally, are both very highly regarded.

It's not like Neil Smith is a genius, but I think time has demonstrated exceedingly well that the problems in the Big Apple run FAR deeper than just GMing. There are obviously many decisions taken from different point of views including marketing and such, a lot of impatience and a lot of people involved in personnel decisions.

I don't want to totally excuse a GM for this, but I remember clearly that back in the days, it was popular for people to say that Edmonton and their small market were sticking it to the Rangers because they had a better GM, one that was recognized as one of the best in the business.

What was his name again?

And blitzkriegs is right. Smith does have a Cup. I can't say who would be better. They both are ordinary veteran GMs to me. But if I was doing the hiring, I'd certainly prefer working with Smith than working with a difficult, pigheaded loud mouth.

So just for that, I'll take Smith. Burke is overrated big time.

Old
05-23-2005, 08:28 PM
clefty
What?

I wonder if Neil Smith is still on the Penguins' payroll. After the news came that Smith had joined the Pens staff as a consultant/special assistant to Craig Patrick a couple of years, he was pretty much never heard from again.

Old
05-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think Burke will get the job.

Old
05-23-2005, 08:50 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Neil Smith wasn't that great of a GM...he just stole half of the Oiler roster for the '94 cup run

Old
05-23-2005, 08:59 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer
I'm betting Smith: nicer, less controversial, not currently being sued, not currently suing anyone, has a Cup.
You failed to mention he is a worse GM, but that is a minor detail when being hired for a vacant GM spot.

Old
05-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
I think Vlad is right with his description of both.

I don't really like Burke too much but if I were the Ducks I would probably hire him over Smith because Smith has been 'out of the loop' for quite a while now.

It's pretty much a toss-up though.

Old
05-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Clash*

There's speculation that the former GM of the Orlando Magic could be headed for Anaheim after resigning his spot with the NBA team. No, this is not another move like hiring Bettman, as Wisebrod is a hockey man who formerly played in the San Jose system and was the former GM and VP of the Orlando Solar Bears....

The story and an editorial about him and his bio (third from the top).

Old
05-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
You failed to mention he is a worse GM, but that is a minor detail when being hired for a vacant GM spot.
Yes, I fail to mention that because I don't agree.

Burke has done good things in Vancouver. I particularly like that he has made Thursday nights at 10pm event radio for CKNW. "Thanks for having me on Dan," he's been saying that for fifteen years off and on.

Smith did preside over a few years of absolute wreckage post-Cup. Smith's problem in New York, if you believe him (and I do, because it makes sense and has never been contradicted) is that MSG demanded a high-profile team and consequently the president forbade the GM from doing a full-scale rebuild. Smith's plan was to sell off the old players, suck for a couple of years, accumulate draft picks, and start over. He says he was blocked. This theory has some credence since it is what Sather did (and perhaps was forced to do).

Smith put together a formidable squad in the early 90s, built from the goal out like practically all champs. Burke did not do this. Burke inherited Naslund, Ohlund and Bertuzzi. Burke's key deals were getting Jovo for Bure and the twins for a first rounder and McCabe. Good value, not a killer trade. The goaltending situation has been a constant horror at playoff time.

Let's look at the off ice stuff. Definitely Burke has put together a good team that has drawn crowds, so the house is full. Big, huge points to him there. However, he gets into these pointless pissing contests with media -- Rafe Mair despises him, he got Dan Russell fired, he's been after Gallagher's job for years, feuds with Strachan, Pratt, wouldn't go on the Team. He's been named in the Steve Moore suit and has sued Larry Brooks for saying that he got the team fired up to headhunt the Colorado forward.

If I was doing due diligence on a prospect GM, these things would set off huge "uh oh" bells. Would you ignore it? Do you even consider it?

Old
05-23-2005, 10:53 PM
FLYLine24*

Smith, he helped the Rangers win the cup by putting that team together then adding the finishes touches at the deadline. Burke should stay behind the scenes and give us juicy info around the NHL.

Old
05-23-2005, 11:13 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Was Marshall Johnston interviewed for the job?

Old
05-23-2005, 11:26 PM
danaluvsthekings

According to the LA Times the candidates that were interviewed besides Neil Smith and Brian Burke were Al Coates, the current Ducks interim GM, former Hawks GM Mike Smith, former SJ GM Dean Lombardi, and Kevin Gilmore, LA assistant GM.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4340271.story

Old
05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
According to the LA Times the candidates that were interviewed besides Neil Smith and Brian Burke were Al Coates, the current Ducks interim GM, former Hawks GM Mike Smith, former SJ GM Dean Lombardi, and Kevin Gilmore, LA assistant GM.

Thanks. It's too bad, I think he would have made a good GM for the Ducks. I'm not a fan of either Burke or Smith, even though both are high profile.

Old
05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings

Is Lombardi currently employed by the Flyers, BTW?

I look at all those names, and there isn't a single one that jumps at me. There is one I don't know about, Gilmore. You probably can tell me more.

Old
05-24-2005, 06:03 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Is Lombardi currently employed by the Flyers, BTW?

Yes, he is.

Old
05-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
At the risk of also going against the grain, I don't see much difference between the two, except Burke is very popular because he has a loud mouth and likes to put himself on a pedestal.

Burke and Dudley are the masters of PR and (not) coincidentally, are both very highly regarded.

It's not like Neil Smith is a genius, but I think time has demonstrated exceedingly well that the problems in the Big Apple run FAR deeper than just GMing. There are obviously many decisions taken from different point of views including marketing and such, a lot of impatience and a lot of people involved in personnel decisions.

I don't want to totally excuse a GM for this, but I remember clearly that back in the days, it was popular for people to say that Edmonton and their small market were sticking it to the Rangers because they had a better GM, one that was recognized as one of the best in the business.

What was his name again?

And blitzkriegs is right. Smith does have a Cup. I can't say who would be better. They both are ordinary veteran GMs to me. But if I was doing the hiring, I'd certainly prefer working with Smith than working with a difficult, pigheaded loud mouth.

So just for that, I'll take Smith. Burke is overrated big time.
are you sure that dudley is popular? ..
because yes I do like Burke ..
but Dudley is probably the GM I hate the most !!

Closed Thread