*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2013, 04:38 PM
WhalerBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Well, if you check early on in this and other threads, you'll see where I thought it was 50/50 whether Wilson would be back. Not sure if that qualifies as a "good shot", but I am still not surprised. Wilson is a heck of a player who really grew up last season and needed to move on from the OHL. I am happy for him, and will be rooting for him in Washington. He always gave 100% effort every time he hit the ice for a shift here, and that ethic will serve him well in the NHL.

You really have to stop comparing this team to last year's, or you will continue to be frustrated. Last season's team was loaded with NHL-drafted talent, and was a legitimate title contender. This year's is a rebuilding effort, so we are not going to see many (if any) games where the team dominates like last season. We just need to see improvement as the season goes on, and that looks to be happening. Vellucci is also trying to help things along, such as the trade for Hiddick. Better times are coming -- just be patient. If you've been a Whalers fan for quite a few years, you have seen this rebuilding before. Remember the seasons after the 2007 championship.
I am not comparing this squad to last years squad. My point is that we lack offensive firepower as the primary problem. Giving up too much defensively (shots and opportunities) and not clearing the zone a close second. This squad might be best compared to the the post Championship team of 2007-2008. I have been a Whalers season ticket holder since day one in Compuware arena, so patience isn't a problem. Lots of great players and teams along the way. I am not upset with the way we are playing today, but I think I would be if it is game 60 and we have not improved. At that point I might just buy playoff tickets by the round and not the whole enchilada.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:53 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
I am not comparing this squad to last years squad. My point is that we lack offensive firepower as the primary problem. Giving up too much defensively (shots and opportunities) and not clearing the zone a close second. This squad might be best compared to the the post Championship team of 2007-2008. I have been a Whalers season ticket holder since day one in Compuware arena, so patience isn't a problem. Lots of great players and teams along the way. I am not upset with the way we are playing today, but I think I would be if it is game 60 and we have not improved. At that point I might just buy playoff tickets by the round and not the whole enchilada.
Hey Whaler Blue, judging by your comments I might be better sitting up in the lounge in Barrie with a few beers and nachos instead of cheering on the boys from the stands.
I think Barrie has 3 goals in the last 4 games and we are currently riding a 5 game loosing streak.
Anyway, Cheers to the winners!!!

Old
10-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Considering the team lost 5 of its top 6 offensive players from last year (Trocheck, Noesen, Rakell, Wilson, and Heard) plus Meurs, I do not think anyone should be surprised that the team's biggest issue so far is scoring goals. Only Hartman and Mistele returned, and the latter has been on suspension. This team reminds me of that post championship '07 -'08 team, too. That team also had decent goaltending (Jeremy Smith and Neuvirth before he was traded) but lost a lot of offensive firepower -- James Neal, Jared Boll, Daniel Ryder, etc. It's too bad we didn't get a banner raising ceremony to watch this time, though.

I still plan on getting the playoff package -- assuming the team makes the postseason, of course. We'll be getting season tickets next year anyway, so any unused tickets just get applied to next year's tickets or can be refunded (which, of course, you know). We always just apply the unused to balance to the following season's tickets.

Old
10-18-2013, 07:48 PM
WhalerBlue

You left out Dan Collins 26 goals, Evan Brophey 36 goals and Tom Sestito, who had 42 goals that Championship year. If you remember that year, When Tom Sestito got a goal, it was usually a hat trick or two goals. That post Championship team did have some offense though (Chris Terry, AJ Jenks, Andrew Fournier, Vern Cooper). As far as playoffs go, I still think that we will make it though. Post Championship made it into the playoffs in 8th place (Greg Stefan took over near mid season with a team that was 18-8-3 and he manged to go 16-20-3) if I remember correctly. I think this team will finish 6th or 7th.

Old
10-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
You left out Dan Collins 26 goals, Evan Brophey 36 goals and Tom Sestito, who had 42 goals that Championship year. If you remember that year, When Tom Sestito got a goal, it was usually a hat trick or two goals. That post Championship team did have some offense though (Chris Terry, AJ Jenks, Andrew Fournier, Vern Cooper). As far as playoffs go, I still think that we will make it though. Post Championship made it into the playoffs in 8th place (Greg Stefan took over near mid season with a team that was 18-8-3 and he manged to go 16-20-3) if I remember correctly. I think this team will finish 6th or 7th.
That is why I put "etc." -- I couldn't remember the others without looking them up. Thanks for the memory refresh -- it was a great team. On the other hand, I would like to forget the Greg Stefan coaching debacle. Funny story: we sit in front of the press box, and a fan from a visiting team asked about Stefan after Vellucci returned to the bench. I explained about what a poor coach he was, and how happy we were to have Vellucci back as coach. I looked behind me in the press box, and guess who I saw? Yes, it was Stefan. I never knew if he heard me, but I was talking loud enough that he may have. At least I didn't say anything nasty or that wasn't true.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:12 PM
NTDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
That is why I put "etc." -- I couldn't remember the others without looking them up. Thanks for the memory refresh -- it was a great team. On the other hand, I would like to forget the Greg Stefan coaching debacle. Funny story: we sit in front of the press box, and a fan from a visiting team asked about Stefan after Vellucci returned to the bench. I explained about what a poor coach he was, and how happy we were to have Vellucci back as coach. I looked behind me in the press box, and guess who I saw? Yes, it was Stefan. I never knew if he heard me, but I was talking loud enough that he may have. At least I didn't say anything nasty or that wasn't true.
Have you ever seen any NHL GM's, or big wigs in the hockey business behind you in that press box? I'm sure some of them come to some games. I'm heading out to Erie this afternoon to catch the game tonight. I'm pretty excited to see their new arena and what not. Finally got some rest after those 3 games in 3 nights on the road.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Have you ever seen any NHL GM's, or big wigs in the hockey business behind you in that press box? I'm sure some of them come to some games. I'm heading out to Erie this afternoon to catch the game tonight. I'm pretty excited to see their new arena and what not. Finally got some rest after those 3 games in 3 nights on the road.
Kris Draper and Chris Osgood sit in the press box behind us quite often -- they both live nearby (Osgood lives in downtown Plymouth) and both work for the Wings. They always sign autographs for the kids between periods. Doug Gilmour has sat behind us before -- he's currently the GM for Kingston. I got his autograph for a co-worker who is a big Leafs and Gilmour fan. We've seen OHL commish David Branch back there once or twice, too.

Not a big wig, but Windsor co-owner Warren Rychel sits behind us quite often, too. I've had to turn around and ask him to watch his language several times -- he actually screamed "bash his f'ning head in" during a fight on the ice loud enough for most of our section to hear early last year. Rychel's the only person sitting in the box that we've ever heard use foul language -- he's so bad the people who sit right behind us will not come to any Spitfire games. He certainly doesn't portray any level of class, and instead comes off as a real tool.

Old
10-24-2013, 07:56 PM
WhalerBlue

Not to bring up the being out shot stuff again...But 90 shot over 2 nights is a bit much and if you add in last nights game....it is big compared to what we are putting on the net. On a lighter note..I just got back from having dinner at CJ's. Whalers players were the hosts, waiters and servers. I had the opportunity to speak with a few of the rookie players. It is really evident that we a are a young team when looking at them and comparing them to Malysa and Sandlak. These guys don't need razors, they need duct tape to remove hair from their faces. Just stick it to your face and rip it off. That is how peach fuzz comes off easily. This team needs to come to the realization that "when in doubt, throw it out" will save them from long shifts and having goals scored against them when they, as a unit, are tired. This will also keep us from playing in our zone too long. Throw it down and take the icing, get off the ice and let fresh legs take care of it. This will take off a bunch of shots and create opportunities for us. Am I making sense or just dreaming?

Old
10-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Not to bring up the being out shot stuff again...But 90 shot over 2 nights is a bit much and if you add in last nights game....it is big compared to what we are putting on the net. On a lighter note..I just got back from having dinner at CJ's. Whalers players were the hosts, waiters and servers. I had the opportunity to speak with a few of the rookie players. It is really evident that we a are a young team when looking at them and comparing them to Malysa and Sandlak. These guys don't need razors, they need duct tape to remove hair from their faces. Just stick it to your face and rip it off. That is how peach fuzz comes off easily. This team needs to come to the realization that "when in doubt, throw it out" will save them from long shifts and having goals scored against them when they, as a unit, are tired. This will also keep us from playing in our zone too long. Throw it down and take the icing, get off the ice and let fresh legs take care of it. This will take off a bunch of shots and create opportunities for us. Am I making sense or just dreaming?
Sounds like a fun event at CJ's.

I have not seen the team play in a few weeks -- we were out of town for the last home game against Kitchener, and they have been on the road for awhile otherwise. Looking forward to finally watching some hockey this weekend and seeing how the team is (or is not) progressing.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:05 PM
NTDP

When u guys go to the next home game let me know what u think of the play of Alex Peters. When I saw the game in Erie I remember two times he shut Mcdavid down one on one. I just think there is a lot of upside to his game, and in the last few games I have just noticed his game seems a lot more smoother all around

Chatham returned for the game in Erie, I'm hoping he can return to form soon and boost the power play.

Old
10-25-2013, 04:33 PM
WhalerBlue

Alex Peter's is doing an excellent job. He really stepped up his game mid way through last year. I expect he will be good again tonight. This game looks like teams are pretty evenly matched.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:21 PM
NTDP

Ugly game tonight, the first period actually wasn't all that bad besides the obvious score. Chatham got things going with a nice hit. Sandlak did well in battling for his rebound in getting that goal. On a 5 on 3 you have to score. On the Attack's second goal I didn't think it was the D's fault, the back checking forwards should have picked up the trailer Owen Sound player on that rebound. That was the worst part of the 1st period. Then with Ned getting that interference call, things just unravelled a bit.

I really can't recall much specifics from the 2nd period, other than the shortie. But Malysa was caught flat footed on that goal by Brace early in the 3rd. That happens to Malysa to much I think. He's really good on the PK and a great shot blocker, but only an average defensemen through the neutral zone. I just noticed to many plays that were out of sync for the Whalers. Players weren't expecting certain passes on the pp, and they fumbled the puck in the D zone a lot.

Owen sound let up a bit defensively late in the 3rd, but I liked seeing Henderson get that goal, and Crus-Rydberg with the one timer again. But like I said, I think some of that had to do with Owen Sound knowing the game was out of hand pretty much and didn't get much traffic in the way of those two shots. Your thoughts?

Old
10-25-2013, 10:14 PM
WhalerBlue

We were good early and we were good late. In between...we were terrible.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:19 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 84
Probably gone soft from only watching 2 Canadian Junior matches so far but last night was a bloodbath. I thought the games against London and Owen Sound were physical last year this was some downright dirty and mean hockey. The second period especially was not a sport, it was assault and battery! Ahh some things never change. The Attack started it with Braces's predatory headshot in the first 2 minutes, it was malicious and set the tone for this one.

Could the Whalers be getting payback for all the viciousness of the previous Whales like Noesen and Wilson? Are the Whalers resorting to goonery out of frustration? Forgive me for sounding like a psycho-logist but I wonder if the younger cats are imitating Hartman by instigating and provoking? Must say I'm not a huge fan of this type of gamesmanship. Instead you should make them pay on the scoreboard. When you're behind you humble to your foe and dig in that much deeper with focused intention. The Whalers started a lot of **** but I'm not sure the background. Last season with our skill we could crush you and toe drag you. This team needs to find its identity. I think Plymouth should keep it classy, it's not 1983. Any thoughts on this level of physicality? Am I being a wussy?

The Whalers had the 5-3 goal and after that it was mostly downhill. It was like they thought style could win the next 55 min. Owen Sound out worked them, were more skilled in every way for the most. I did see a shift in the momentum when in the 2nd period Hartman caused some stuff, got a retaliatory slash, and the first big brawl of the game erupted. Plymouth fed off this big time, at least for a while but it didn't amount to anything until after it was already decided.

I don't think pulling Ned in the 1st made sense, nor pulling the goalie for the extra attacker when it was 5-2?

Hartman is a character. I've said before I hope he's not too cool for school. Meaning his backcheck is circumspect, he doesn't hustle at times and I question his leadership. He's got to get into the game, as in scoring goals. Forget skating around starting drama, slashing in the neutral zone instead of skating back covering somebody, etc. etc.

Lorentz is our captain, from what I saw tonight. Can't believe he was -4 for how hard he beasted. He can be so completely dominate when he turns it on. When you work like he does good things happen. ZL is panning out be be such a golden acquisition from last winter.

Hiddink's performance was brutal. I'm talking every puck touch to start the game was bumbled. I don't know if it was nerves, whatever he looked out of place. He needs to watch a reply of that game and seriously meditate upon his concentration that was horrible.

Sandlak I felt his presence and he has a maturity, intelligence along with ability that is noticeable. Obviously he, Chatham, and Crys-Ryberg stand out and I don't mind at all watching players like that develop.

I hope I'm not being too critical, this was an intense game (it must be I'm up at 3 in the morning still in awe ). I felt for our team. The shots were very close and the game itself was close in ways.

Give credit to Owen Sound they were that inch closer and 1/2 step quicker. Their guys are huge. Smith, Lindo, and Nastasiuk were outstanding. They could have had a lot more points. Brace, Hope, and Gabriel also were great. A big strength the Attack have is their D. All 6 played solid and were active in their win.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:12 AM
WhalerBlue

Ned was pulled in the 2nd and pulling the goalie in a 5-2 game is just practice for when it really counts. Why not?

Old
10-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Alex Peter's is doing an excellent job. He really stepped up his game mid way through last year. I expect he will be good again tonight. This game looks like teams are pretty evenly matched.
I agree. Peters really impressed me last season as a younger player on a veteran team, and in the few games I have seen this year he has looked solid.

Quote:
We were good early and we were good late. In between...we were terrible.
That pretty much sums it up. I was not impressed with the Hiddick -- he made several mistakes and did not seem able to get into the flow of the game. Henderson was terrible in allowing the breakaway shorthanded goal in the 2nd that chased Ned. He had almost two steps on the skater, yet let him blow by as if he were standing still.

Quote:
Ned was pulled in the 2nd and pulling the goalie in a 5-2 game is just practice for when it really counts. Why not?
Yep. It's always good practice to pull your goalie in games like last night. Ned was getting no support, so why leave him in there and possibly hurt his confidence? Let the rookie Bowman get some ice time and Ned gets some rest before tonight's game.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:47 PM
WhalerBlue

Last night I heard from a couple of STH's that one of our defenseman is hurt and may miss the rest of the season. If this holds true, we will miss this veteran. I never saw this D-man in the building and was told he was "at home". I sure hope this is bogus information.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Last night I heard from a couple of STH's that one of our defenseman is hurt and may miss the rest of the season. If this holds true, we will miss this veteran. I never saw this D-man in the building and was told he was "at home". I sure hope this is bogus information.
I assume you are talking about Curcuruto? He has not played in awhile, and the team misses his experience and offensive presence. Hopefully, as you said, the information is incorrect.

He was at the Karmanos Cancer Institute earlier this week, but you cannot tell anything from the photo on the website.

Old
10-26-2013, 10:04 PM
WhalerBlue

I saw him tonight. He will be back in a few more games.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
I saw him tonight. He will be back in a few more games.
My wife saw him walking around the arena, too. That is good news. Hopefully Henderson sits when Curcuruto comes back, as he continues to struggle defensively. Henderson made some very shaky plays again last night.

Connor Chatham seems to be coming along well, though. He skates well and uses his size. I think he will develop into a decent player.

The one addition I didn't think much about when the deal was made but have been impressed with so far is Carter Sandlak. He's been one of the team's best offensive players, has a physical presence, and provides experience on a young team.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I brought my camera to last night's Pink Out game. Here are a few photos.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:54 PM
EON 93
very ok poster

vCash: 400
Plymouth should make a new alternate jersey in the style of those pink jerseys, switch the pink to green. That would be a nice alternate.

Old
10-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Plymouth should make a new alternate jersey in the style of those pink jerseys, switch the pink to green. That would be a nice alternate.
We all thought these were the best pink jerseys Plymouth had come up with so far.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:23 AM
NTDP

I liked those jerseys a lot as well, nice photos there Whalerfan! Big win against a divisional rival who is below us in the standings.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:48 PM
yohockey

Wesley was - 17 at NTDP and -10 at Whalers thus far this season.

Closed Thread