Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2013, 05:19 PM
WhalerBlue

vCash: 500
Alex Nedelkjovic is Yahoo.ca junior hockey #1 star for his 44 save performance at Windsor on Sunday. This after Plymouth was again out shot something terrible 45-23 and won again on two goals by Mistele, 2-1. Ned will go high in the draft. His stock is rising when scouts see him get shelled game after game.

Old
11-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I listened to much of the Windsor game on the radio stream, and it sounded like Ned played well. He wasn't as sharp the night before against Guelph, so it was nice to see him bounce back the next day. That shows his confidence is not easily shaken, which is vital for a goalie. I've liked what I have seen from Alex right from the start last season -- he has a chance to be something special.

If Bowman continues to show promise, Plymouth will have a nice dilemma -- two very good, young goaltenders. It's extraordinary how the Whalers continue to find and develop quality goaltenders. Since 2006 we have seen Justin Peters, Michael Neuvirth, Jeremy Smith, Matt Hackett, Scott Wedgewood and now Alex Nedeljkovic as starters, with only a half season of mediocrity in Matt Mahalak over that period. That is quite a run.

Last edited by Whalers Fan: 11-25-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old
11-26-2013, 06:53 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
I listened to much of the Windsor game on the radio stream, and it sounded like Ned played well. He wasn't as sharp the night before against Guelph, so it was nice to see him bounce back the next day. That shows his confidence is not easily shaken, which is vital for a goalie. I've liked what I have seen from Alex right from the start last season -- he has a chance to be something special.

If Bowman continues to show promise, Plymouth will have a nice dilemma -- two very good, young goaltenders. It's extraordinary how the Whalers continue to find and develop quality goaltenders. Since 2006 we have seen Justin Peters, Michael Neuvirth, Jeremy Smith, Matt Hackett, Scott Wedgewood and now Alex Nedeljkovic as starters, with only a half season of mediocrity in Matt Mahalak over that period. That is quite a run.
Absolutely - especially if you look at some of the assets that Plymouth has got by trading away one of two very good goalies.

Old
11-27-2013, 08:25 PM
NTDP

Terrible defensively in the 1st. Plus on the opportunities they had they just couldn't hit the net. In the second I thought they were pretty good, especially on the PK. Crus-rydberg rang the pipe with a shot and I think it was sandlak that had a nice chance but a nice save was made by hope. Just couldn't sustain pressure in the 3rd.

Old
11-27-2013, 08:39 PM
NTDP

Also wanted to say It seemed like just didn't have the legs tonight. To slow to lose pucks, anybody else get that feeling watching the game tonight?

Old
11-27-2013, 08:40 PM
puckhead1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Also wanted to say It seemed like just didn't have the legs tonight. To slow to lose pucks, anybody else get that feeling watching the game tonight?
the whole game was ****, but oh well what do you do?

Old
11-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Terrible defensively in the 1st. Plus on the opportunities they had they just couldn't hit the net. In the second I thought they were pretty good, especially on the PK. Crus-rydberg rang the pipe with a shot and I think it was sandlak that had a nice chance but a nice save was made by hope. Just couldn't sustain pressure in the 3rd.
Yes, the defense in the 1st was atrocious. I felt sorry for Ned -- he should have sued for lack of support. Overall, the team looked like it lacked energy most of the night. I guess some of the guys were thinking of Thanksgiving dinner instead of hockey. The only good thing about the game was I got to see Bowman in goal for most of the game -- my first look at him. He played well, but is a little weak on puck handling (which fits right in with most of this team ). I'm sure that will improve with experience.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Whaler fans out there!

Old
11-27-2013, 08:43 PM
puckhead1*

game was a joke like the Spits and Knights threads....oh well

Old
11-27-2013, 08:45 PM
NTDP

Quote:
Yes, the defense in the 1st was atrocious. I felt sorry for Ned -- he should have sued for lack of support. Overall, the team looked like it lacked energy most of the night. I guess some of the guys were thinking of Thanksgiving dinner instead of hockey. The only good thing about the game was I got to see Bowman in goal for most of the game -- my first look at him. He played well, but is a little weak on puck handling (which fits right in with most of this team ). I'm sure that will improve with experience.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Whaler fans out there!
Thank you! Same to you, I actually already had a slice of pumpkin pie watching the game tonight.

Old
11-27-2013, 08:52 PM
puckhead1*

Quote:
Thank you! Same to you, I actually already had a slice of pumpkin pie watching the game tonight.
hope it was good?

Old
11-29-2013, 09:51 PM
WhalerBlue

To lose a game to one of the best teams in the league (Oshawa), in a shootout, should be reason to be optimistic. When you look at how we AGAIN got outshot 51-30, you wonder what if...The reason we get outshot nearly every game by big numbers, is the fact that we are the worst team in the league at clearing the zone. If there is a ton of pressure and you are gassed, get it out the easiest way possible and ice the puck. You get to go to the bench and get a breather and let the fresh legs take care of the faceoff in your own end. For some reason, we elect to try to clear the zone in the areas of the most opponent traffic or the hardest way out. With this mindset, we should be thankful that we have won the games we have. In this area of clearing the zone, we have not made any progress as a team to this point of the season. This is disappointing. What is even more disappointing, is to listen to other season ticket holders and longtime fans question whether or not we will be good enough down the stretch to secure 8th position and make the playoffs. There many other areas of their game that need some cleaning up, but this being pressured in our own zone is going to be our undoing in relation to making the playoffs. Is the coaching staff not emphasizing this daily or are the players just not getting it? We have one of the best goalies in the league and he leads the statistics in one category, Most shots against. On a side note...The penalty against Mitch Jones in the 2nd was a weak, atrocious call. Oshawa scores on that PP and boy did this PO some people in my section. Terrible call. Am I off base on my observations, too harsh a critic or are we as bad as I think we are?

Old
11-30-2013, 09:45 AM
NTDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
To lose a game to one of the best teams in the league (Oshawa), in a shootout, should be reason to be optimistic. When you look at how we AGAIN got outshot 51-30, you wonder what if...The reason we get outshot nearly every game by big numbers, is the fact that we are the worst team in the league at clearing the zone. If there is a ton of pressure and you are gassed, get it out the easiest way possible and ice the puck. You get to go to the bench and get a breather and let the fresh legs take care of the faceoff in your own end. For some reason, we elect to try to clear the zone in the areas of the most opponent traffic or the hardest way out. With this mindset, we should be thankful that we have won the games we have. In this area of clearing the zone, we have not made any progress as a team to this point of the season. This is disappointing. What is even more disappointing, is to listen to other season ticket holders and longtime fans question whether or not we will be good enough down the stretch to secure 8th position and make the playoffs. There many other areas of their game that need some cleaning up, but this being pressured in our own zone is going to be our undoing in relation to making the playoffs. Is the coaching staff not emphasizing this daily or are the players just not getting it? We have one of the best goalies in the league and he leads the statistics in one category, Most shots against. On a side note...The penalty against Mitch Jones in the 2nd was a weak, atrocious call. Oshawa scores on that PP and boy did this PO some people in my section. Terrible call. Am I off base on my observations, too harsh a critic or are we as bad as I think we are?
I feel your frustrations but considering how young we are, I think being outshot isn't the worst that could happen though. We could have gotten two points last night, sucks that we didn't, but I like their efforts. I mean think about, look at the roster and count how many 16-17 year olds are on this team. Any team in our situation would be taking their licks this year. Look at kitchener. I can't expect them to keep sustained pressure down low all game and have flawless breakouts when the competition our whaler pups are against is bigger and stronger, and they know when they pressure these younger kids in deep they will make mistakes. We did the same thing to sarnia last year in the playoffs on their breakouts.

Also Alex peters is a big part of getting the puck out cleanly and he has been out the last 5 games. He usually makes the right descision with the puck. Hartman is usually good for a few scoring chances per game also. We will have a solid chance of competing for the 8th spot, but we have to take care of Kitchener and sarnia when we play them, and I think it can be done. Like I said I feel ur frustration, but we should enjoy this team for what they are now, I'm enjoying watching the skill set and ice time of these guys improve. Cullen mercer played I thought his best game tonight, and vellucci rewarded him with more ice time late in the game.

Old
11-30-2013, 09:51 AM
NTDP

I also wanted to comment once more on the breakouts, I think at times the D plays with the puck a little to long. To much D to D cycling and then the breakout pass really isn't there. But again, the more veteran teams in the league (compared to Plymouth that's pretty much all of them) put the pressure on to enforce those mistakes.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:40 PM
WhalerBlue

We can't and shouldn't use rookies as our reason as a failure to clear the zone. Just before Peters' went down, he played his worst games as a Whaler with bigger minutes. Maybe he was injured? Maybe he was having a string of bad games? Get good defensively and offensive opportunities will follow. These guys are currently being outshot badly again tonight. More chances generally means more goals. Without Ned, we might have got our stuff blown out many times this season.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:56 AM
NTDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
We can't and shouldn't use rookies as our reason as a failure to clear the zone. Just before Peters' went down, he played his worst games as a Whaler with bigger minutes. Maybe he was injured? Maybe he was having a string of bad games? Get good defensively and offensive opportunities will follow. These guys are currently being outshot badly again tonight. More chances generally means more goals. Without Ned, we might have got our stuff blown out many times this season.
Peters has been one the better defensive defensemen on the team throughout the past month. We also took way to many penalties, and yes Ned has saved our ass a lot. Yeah they had no right taking this game to o.t. and the whalers were very sloppy on the exits and coming in over the blue line. Whalerblue let's see how this team fairs out once the second half gets going and see if these issues with the team are the same, because it is a valid point. The TRANSITION from D to offense is an issue, I agree. But even some of the forwards can't generate time and space for themselves, once over the line they force a pass or try and play dump and chase, which isn't as successful when we don't have experience and as much size. It all creates a situation where we can't sustain pressure and get shots on net.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I missed Friday's game, as we were out of town for the holiday. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Whalers take it to a shootout. However, I have to agree with WhalerBlue that being unable to clear the defensive zone is one of the biggest deficiencies of this team so far -- I saw numerous weak passes without purpose in Wednesday's game, too. Considering that the defense is the most veteran part of this team, it has to be a disappointment for Vellucci so far. It reminds me of how the team played defensively when Greg Stefan was the coach during Vellucci's hiatus from behind the bench -- and that is not a good thing.

Since we know that Vellucci is too good of a coach for this to be from a lack of proper instruction, I am at a loss as to the reason -- other than simply lazy and unintelligent play. Defense is as much about effort as it is skill, and this team is really struggling with their defensive effort.

I do see an overall theme with this team -- a lack of ability with puck control, both in the defensive and offensive zones. Passes are not accurate and with no purpose, and players struggle to maintain control of the puck for more than a brief instant. It is a huge difference from the teams from the past two seasons, which were both excellent in this regard.

Old
12-01-2013, 10:15 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
I missed Friday's game, as we were out of town for the holiday. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Whalers take it to a shootout. However, I have to agree with WhalerBlue that being unable to clear the defensive zone is one of the biggest deficiencies of this team so far -- I saw numerous weak passes without purpose in Wednesday's game, too. Considering that the defense is the most veteran part of this team, it has to be a disappointment for Vellucci so far. It reminds me of how the team played defensively when Greg Stefan was the coach during Vellucci's hiatus from behind the bench -- and that is not a good thing.

Since we know that Vellucci is too good of a coach for this to be from a lack of proper instruction, I am at a loss as to the reason -- other than simply lazy and unintelligent play. Defense is as much about effort as it is skill, and this team is really struggling with their defensive effort.

I do see an overall theme with this team -- a lack of ability with puck control, both in the defensive and offensive zones. Passes are not accurate and with no purpose, and players struggle to maintain control of the puck for more than a brief instant. It is a huge difference from the teams from the past two seasons, which were both excellent in this regard.
That is hitting the nail right on the head. This is exactly what I am seeing. We need to take a quick look in the rearview mirror and see that the Rangers are 4 points behind with 4 less games than us. May not seem like a big deal today, but if they close that gap before the 1st of the year and go 4 points up with less games than it becomes pretty serious business. All of us know that after the 1st of the year that teams are picking it up, refining what they have for playoff time. This is usually the time that the better teams really shine. Kitchener had a real rough start and I don't expect them to roll over. I expect them to rise to the occasion and fight hard down the stretch. If we secure 8th and Kitchener is 4 or more points behind in 9th after the regular season, I will be shocked. I expect that games between these two teams will have added significance because of the standings. Time to start making the improvements in 5 on 5 play and clearing the zone right now, so we actually have something to refine and not find come January or February. Our PK is good overall, Our PP is pretty good overall, our 4 on 4 play is really good but this 5 on 5 play is really lacking. A few of the Whalers have made big improvements so far. Let us hope that it all starts coming together as a team and we improve in our own end and 5 on 5 play.

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 12-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old
12-02-2013, 07:23 AM
NTDP

Good points by both of you, I agree. I think that's why u see curcuruto at times just take it himself through the neutral zone. I'm trying to make it up for the soo game. Just wanted to make sure the weather would be decent.

Old
12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I see that Ryan Hartman is on the preliminary roster for the U.S. World junior team. I wonder if he will be healthy enough to participate. Plymouth alumnus Connor Carrick is also on the roster -- he is listed with the Hershey Bears, so I guess the Capitals sent him down to the AHL (I lost track of him once the season started).

Old
12-05-2013, 11:08 AM
NTDP

Quote:
I see that Ryan Hartman is on the preliminary roster for the U.S. World junior team. I wonder if he will be healthy enough to participate. Plymouth alumnus Connor Carrick is also on the roster -- he is listed with the Hershey Bears, so I guess the Capitals sent him down to the AHL (I lost track of him once the season started).
Yeah Carrick is basically a lock to make that team. He played really well for the U.S. at the summer evaluation camp also. Congrats to all of them, I can't wait for the tournament. I was going to ask if anyone knows the extent of Hartman's injury. With the time he has already missed, I would assume he will be available by the time christmas comes along. By the way, on Fox Sports Detroit tonight the game is being televised between the US U-18 team against the University of Michigan. Reason i'm posting this on this board is because one of the best forwards on the U-18 team this year is a Plymouth draft pick in 2012. (Sonny Milano). I know i've mentioned him before but he's been tearing it up for the U-18's and one scout on NHL.com said he "is a solid first round pick" for this years NHL Draft. Time will tell, but I hope he comes over like Miller, Hartman, and Carrick did from the development program. He alone would really boost the offense next year. Here is the article on him http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=692446

Old
12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
Yeah Carrick is basically a lock to make that team. He played really well for the U.S. at the summer evaluation camp also. Congrats to all of them, I can't wait for the tournament. I was going to ask if anyone knows the extent of Hartman's injury. With the time he has already missed, I would assume he will be available by the time christmas comes along. By the way, on Fox Sports Detroit tonight the game is being televised between the US U-18 team against the University of Michigan. Reason i'm posting this on this board is because one of the best forwards on the U-18 team this year is a Plymouth draft pick in 2012. (Sonny Milano). I know i've mentioned him before but he's been tearing it up for the U-18's and one scout on NHL.com said he "is a solid first round pick" for this years NHL Draft. Time will tell, but I hope he comes over like Miller, Hartman, and Carrick did from the development program. He alone would really boost the offense next year. Here is the article on him http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=692446
I would love to see Milano come to Plymouth but I think he is set on going the college rout. This year he De-committed from Notre Dame and committed to Boston College. Stranger things have happened tho.

Old
12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
I would love to see Milano come to Plymouth but I think he is set on going the college rout. This year he De-committed from Notre Dame and committed to Boston College. Stranger things have happened tho.
Yes, strange things do happen, and we have seen in the past that an NCAA commitment is far from ironclad. J.T. Miller de-committed from North Dakota to come to Plymouth after going in the 1st round of the NHL draft, and Mike McCarron did the same thing with the University of Michigan -- going to London -- this year after Montreal took him in the 1st round. If Milano goes high in the draft, his NHL team may quietly encourage him to go the OHL route for a quicker development path.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Yes, strange things do happen, and we have seen in the past that an NCAA commitment is far from ironclad. J.T. Miller de-committed from North Dakota to come to Plymouth after going in the 1st round of the NHL draft, and Mike McCarron did the same thing with the University of Michigan -- going to London -- this year after Montreal took him in the 1st round. If Milano goes high in the draft, his NHL team may quietly encourage him to go the OHL route for a quicker development path.
McCarron was set to attend U of Western Michigan.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:20 PM
DrJenniferHanson
Cursed By A Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
The switch from Notre Dame to Boston College probably deflated those chances. BC is the highest pedestal of prestige one can get in the States. Conversely, Notre Dame is a near-perennial underachiever, and is a lot more prone to being picked off.

Plymouth could reel in an American or two next summer, just not Milano. I'm not entirely up-to-date on college commitments, but doesn't Plymouth have a couple Wisconsin recruits? I know that school was pegged #2 preseason, and has limped to a 4-5-1 start since. If the coach's seat warms up, that's a situation to glue an eye on.

Plymouth also has a '97 drafted by Muskegon of the USHL. That organization doesn't have the best rep in the scouting world from my understanding, so there's another potential opportunity.

Last edited by DrJenniferHanson: 12-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old
12-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferHanson531 View Post
The switch from Notre Dame to Boston College probably deflated those chances. BC is the highest pedestal of prestige one can get in the States. Conversely, Notre Dame is a near-perennial underachiever, and is a lot more prone to being picked off.
I think it will have more to do with where he is taken in the draft, and by which team. The prospect of immediate cash for signing an entry level contract, a quicker path to pro hockey (he would be AHL eligible), and possibly being quietly encouraged to go the OHL route by the NHL club could outweigh playing for Boston College. It really depends on the player's priorities regarding a college education.

Closed Thread