HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post
I said this before both conference finals started, and I will say it again.

I don't think it matters who wins the ECF. The cup winner will be from the West. Chicago, LA >>> Boston, Pittsburgh.

However, Boston is notorious for getting lucky.
I disagree. I think only LA has a slight chance of beating the Bruins. I find Hawks are similar to Pens.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:37 PM
68*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
I'm still convinced Fleury is gonna come back in the nets and win this series and shut everyone up.

Not gonna happen, sorry.

Old
My Velouria
roygbiv

Bruins will bully the Hawks and win the cup.

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its hard to take vokoun out. He was probably the pens best player and gave the pens every chance to win that game. They need to get Crosby going and I don't think a goalie change would help that cause. The way Sid is playing, I would not be surprised to hear that he's battling a tough injury.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That mentality is why the NHL is a bush league.
A penalty is a penalty, if teams are too stupid to adapt and want to play with 3 players the whole game while killing penalties, too bad for them.
If not then change the rules.

In any event, officiating wasn't what determined the game, despite their non call. It was a great game overall, this was the type of game I expected all series, such a shame the Pens were sleeping the first two games.
This. NHL has such inconsistent reffing. Brutal non calls and lets not let the linemen off. WHat a hatchet job they did tonight on several offsides along with a whack load of so so icing and one hugely blatent missed call.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:38 PM
NobleSix
Dynasty to Tragedy.

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But **** the Bruins and their pathetic success. Only reason why you're having success right now is because you were so downright pathetic years before....Okay...feel better now.
By this logic, it looks like we're due for a dynasty...

Can the dark ages of the habs FINALLY come to an end anytime soon??

Old
06-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That mentality is why the NHL is a bush league.
A penalty is a penalty, if teams are too stupid to adapt and want to play with 3 players the whole game while killing penalties, too bad for them.
If not then change the rules.

In any event, officiating wasn't what determined the game, despite their non call. It was a great game overall, this was the type of game I expected all series, such a shame the Pens were sleeping the first two games.
What people don't understand is that it's much easier for any other referees in any other sports to call something contrary to hockey. Sport is obviously much faster. In Football, when a ref calls a hooking or grabbing penalty, you won't have 10 replays of it with people dissecting the call and so on....In other sports, aside maybe from soccer, they accept their referees. In here, we have an obsession over them as if it's the 3rd team playing. Players also have only themselves to blame with their diving and embellishing.

It's not about the mentality, or about a bush league, or about changing the rules, it's about a question of judgment and interpretation. Everytime that happens, whatever rulebook you'd have, chances are you'd be off it quite a few times.

Referees aren,t great, but it's a ****ing tough sport to be a ref in. 'Cause for every freakin penalty you and I think our team shouldn't be penalized for, the opponent's fan there thinks the contrary. Then, as fans, we judge the ref's perofrmances mostly by being totally biased towards our team obviously. Are we really the best judge of their jobs?

Old
06-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
I'm still convinced Fleury is gonna come back in the nets and win this series and shut everyone up.
If you mean "gonna come back in the nets" as a member of another team after being bought out in the summer I think you might be on to something.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

Quote:
By this logic, it looks like we're due for a dynasty...

Can the dark ages of the habs FINALLY come to an end anytime soon??
Well not really...we have to pay more since we were really incredibly great before. But we might be seeing the light soon...

Old
06-05-2013, 11:42 PM
NobleSix
Dynasty to Tragedy.

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I disagree. I think only LA has a slight chance of beating the Bruins. I find Hawks are similar to Pens.
To each their own I suppose.

Hawks have defense and consistently capable goaltending. They also have more toughness in their lineup IMO.

The Kings are starting to get a few key injuries. Not liking how banged up they are looking. However, if they get a bit more healthy, I would be confident in their chances against the Goons.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

Our own Kristo with a tweet...

Quote:
Iginla should have told himself best of 3 when he did the coin flip on which team he was going to BOS/PIT 🙈. #becauseitsthecup
https://twitter.com/dkristo7/status/342499814925283330

Old
06-05-2013, 11:52 PM
sheed36

I blame all this on Leaf fans gloating when it was 4-1 Leafs in the 3rd period of game 7 against the Bruins.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
To each their own I suppose.

Hawks have defense and consistently capable goaltending. They also have more toughness in their lineup IMO.

The Kings are starting to get a few key injuries. Not liking how banged up they are looking. However, if they get a bit more healthy, I would be confident in their chances against the Goons.
I know what you're saying and it makes sense.

But looking at the match-ups of styles, I think Bruins' size and defensive style will frustrate Hawks, like Wings did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I blame all this on Leaf fans gloating when it was 4-1 Leafs in the 3rd period of game 7 against the Bruins.
Similarly for the 2011 Cup, blame the Habs. Funny how Bruins have their back to the wall in round 1 but then...

Old
06-06-2013, 12:00 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
What people don't understand is that it's much easier for any other referees in any other sports to call something contrary to hockey. Sport is obviously much faster. In Football, when a ref calls a hooking or grabbing penalty, you won't have 10 replays of it with people dissecting the call and so on....In other sports, aside maybe from soccer, they accept their referees. In here, we have an obsession over them as if it's the 3rd team playing. Players also have only themselves to blame with their diving and embellishing.

It's not about the mentality, or about a bush league, or about changing the rules, it's about a question of judgment and interpretation. Everytime that happens, whatever rulebook you'd have, chances are you'd be off it quite a few times.

Referees aren,t great, but it's a ****ing tough sport to be a ref in. 'Cause for every freakin penalty you and I think our team shouldn't be penalized for, the opponent's fan there thinks the contrary. Then, as fans, we judge the ref's perofrmances mostly by being totally biased towards our team obviously. Are we really the best judge of their jobs?
thing is, it also seems WAY easier to call penalties in the reg. season...

let's not kid ourtself here, they let some infractions go on purpose.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:01 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I wish I had bookmarked some of the board comments earlier this year about Boston being the worst team to ever win the Cup, and Rask being a very average goalie.

[sigh] as I have always said these guys are good.
put things in context: they were pretty average as a team and only thomas playing in god mode enabled them to win the cup.

this year is different.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Boston is also the team that almost lost to the Leafs in the first round.

You can look invincible one week and collapse the next. Don't read to much into what a squad looks like when they are riding high.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:16 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Bruins will bully the Hawks and win the cup.
Maybe so. I sure hope not. The Bruins are beat by teams that don't get put off by it and lose their composure. No team plays better when they are angry than the Bruins. You cannot beat them at that game. You have to play a composed game against them.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 1093
The Hawks are a fast team and have a lot of depth with a great shut down duo.

The difference between them and Pitt has to be coaching though. Coach Q is a billion times better in game than Bylsma

Old
06-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
thing is, it also seems WAY easier to call penalties in the reg. season...

let's not kid ourtself here, they let some infractions go on purpose.
Thing is, we keep criticizing in the regular season too, and keep calling them the worst of them all. It's not like we're satisfied with them in regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
The Hawks are a fast team and have a lot of depth with a great shut down duo.

The difference between them and Pitt has to be coaching though. Coach Q is a billion times better in game than Bylsma
I remember not that long ago that Pittsburgh was a much faster team and a REAL test for the Bruins also....Bruins just have that feeling that they are unbeatable now. Nothing you can do about it. Even if you need Rask to be incredible, he can do it. Bruins only weakness is their PP work. And the lack of pure natural goal scoring. But they can do without those 2.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:31 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 621
Quote:
They're much better defensively though.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:49 AM
smack66

Quote:
So sick of hearing about Boston. I would be hard pressed to think of anything I hate more than those idiots. Can't wait until the day that Montreal finally wins another cup so I can rub it in their obnoxious fan base's faces. Will probably be a long time, but it will be SO satisfying.

Thank god i'm moving away from all the brain dead Bruins fans that inhabit my town, this summer. Unreal how many of these morons live in my area.
anywhere near Cornwall?

Old
06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Well first off I disagree that other sports simply accept their refs. Fans complain about refs in every other sport, maybe it's a little less, but nobody just shuts up about it. They whine, and then move on, like for hockey.
I also disagree that it's the toughest sport to ref. Football is incredibly tough to ref.

The players will always test out their limits, why wouldn't they? The refs are there to bring them back to reality, it's their freaking job.

And spare me fans will never be happy excuse. Refs will make mistakes, it's unavoidable. But it is clear there are two different set of standards. Clear as day on a beautiful day. I don't care if they also make mistakes in the reg sea, as I said it's unavoidable. The issue is the two different sets of rules.

You want to let whatever Jagr go ( and don't make me believe that there's any way the refs could interprete this as anything other than a hook), then make hooking legal.

And I'm not being biased. Pens got away with plenty. I also said after the 2nd round that the officiating in this year's POs have been on a whole other level. It's been god awful. It has nothing to do with this being the Bruins. I followed the series in the west, and god it was bad.

Old
06-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Maverik

It's one thing to let Jagr hooks go if Malkin fights through it and comes out with the puck, but it led to a direct turnover to Pittsburgh blue line.. **** sake get some common sense in those refs

Old
06-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

One of the problems with Pittsburgh is even though they have decent depth, a lot of their offense depends on 3 players skating with the puck and generating it. Much like 3 years ago when we beat them, you clog up the middle and force their support guys to carry it, it severely limits their offense. Lack of PP's and a strong Bruins PK, plus rask in nets are other factors.

Pittsburgh should still be "good" going forward but a cup will be hard as 5-6 players will take up 55-60% of their cap, forcing them to sacrifice depth.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:13 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
One of the problems with Pittsburgh is even though they have decent depth, a lot of their offense depends on 3 players skating with the puck and generating it. Much like 3 years ago when we beat them, you clog up the middle and force their support guys to carry it, it severely limits their offense. Lack of PP's and a strong Bruins PK, plus rask in nets are other factors.

Pittsburgh should still be "good" going forward but a cup will be hard as 5-6 players will take up 55-60% of their cap, forcing them to sacrifice depth.
Plus, they've depleted their farm system and future draft selections to acquire Brenden Morrow, Jarome Iginla, and Douglas Murray. If they don't keep those guys, they look quite foolish.

They really lost out when Marian Hossa walked. I still don't know why he walked, he had a great thing going there, and they offered him more money than he ended up making elsewhere.

Closed Thread