HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Nielson

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2005, 11:53 AM
T2M

vCash: 500
Eric Nielson

Just wanted to give a couple of big thumbs up to Eric for his play last night. I watched the game on Sportsnet and although he has hands of stone Eric is everything you could want in a third/fourth liner. He was involved all game last night, hammering on Fritsche (who was hammering him back), getting under everybody's skin and throwing some massive checks. One shift I think he sent three different players sprawling with three different checks. His heart was in every shift I saw him play. Again, we can't count on him for some goals, but he'll be a great middleweight to add to a line with the likes of Avery and Kanko. That would be a great line, but they'd only get one shift together per game. After that at least one of them would be in the box at any given time.

Old
05-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
Just wanted to give a couple of big thumbs up to Eric for his play last night. I watched the game on Sportsnet and although he has hands of stone Eric is everything you could want in a third/fourth liner. He was involved all game last night, hammering on Fritsche (who was hammering him back), getting under everybody's skin and throwing some massive checks. One shift I think he sent three different players sprawling with three different checks. His heart was in every shift I saw him play. Again, we can't count on him for some goals, but he'll be a great middleweight to add to a line with the likes of Avery and Kanko. That would be a great line, but they'd only get one shift together per game. After that at least one of them would be in the box at any given time.
I really like this kid, and am thrilled that we drafted him. I've heard nothing but good things about him. I think he could possibly be with the Kings sooner than most people think.

Old
05-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope the best for Neilson but Ryan Flinn was a better scorer in juniors. Then again, Ryan Flinn's a goal scorer.

Old
05-23-2005, 12:14 AM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I hope the best for Neilson but Ryan Flinn was a better scorer in juniors. Then again, Ryan Flinn's a goal scorer.
DUDE, I hope your not serious! Flinn is a fighter only. The guy has problems skating, let alone break in for a goal. I love Flinn and I love Eric, but goal scoring is not what Ryan does. From what we hear posted on this site, Eric is a pretty good player. Yet, Flinn is one dimensional. Love to have them both playing. Neilson, is going to be a light heavy-weight, not a middle-weight.

Old
05-23-2005, 01:23 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

this is exactly the type of player we need...the thing about having an enforcer is that true he would send a message by getting in a fight to respond to a dirty hit...but then what...the opposition would then start running players again when guys like flinn are in the box? Thats why its a serious advantage to have a true enforcer to take care of business, but also a guy like neilson to play the role of the minor-enforcer who can skate a regular shift also

Old
05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
this is exactly the type of player we need...the thing about having an enforcer is that true he would send a message by getting in a fight to respond to a dirty hit...but then what...the opposition would then start running players again when guys like flinn are in the box? Thats why its a serious advantage to have a true enforcer to take care of business, but also a guy like neilson to play the role of the minor-enforcer who can skate a regular shift also
Your exactly right. Let them both play, example flinn on the fourth line and Eric on the third with Sean. Let Ryan take care on the really bad stuff and let Neilson, Cowan, Quintal, and Avery crusie around.

Old
05-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
DUDE, I hope your not serious! Flinn is a fighter only. The guy has problems skating, let alone break in for a goal. I love Flinn and I love Eric, but goal scoring is not what Ryan does. From what we hear posted on this site, Eric is a pretty good player. Yet, Flinn is one dimensional. Love to have them both playing. Neilson, is going to be a light heavy-weight, not a middle-weight.
Obviously, it's a joke, referring to Flinn's one goal in twenty nine NHL games. One poster subsequently made a Ryan Flinn: goal scorer avatar. However, I was not joking about Ryan Flinn being a better scorer in juniors (33 points in 57 games/10th in team scoring versus 26 points in 54 games/11th in team scoring). Predictions about Neilson becoming a third liner are optimistic at best. NHL third liners and even fourth liners predominantly were scorers back in juniors, college, etc. See Ian Laperriere, Eric Belanger, Erik Rasmussen, Craig Johnson, Adam Mair, Sean Avery. There are exceptions, like Kelly Buchberger, but they are very rare to say the least.

Old
05-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Obviously, it's a joke, referring to Flinn's one goal in twenty nine NHL games. One poster subsequently made a Ryan Flinn: goal scorer avatar. However, I was not joking about Ryan Flinn being a better scorer in juniors (33 points in 57 games/10th in team scoring versus 26 points in 54 games/11th in team scoring). Predictions about Neilson becoming a third liner are optimistic at best. NHL third liners and even fourth liners predominantly were scorers back in juniors, college, etc. See Ian Laperriere, Eric Belanger, Erik Rasmussen, Craig Johnson, Adam Mair, Sean Avery. There are exceptions, like Kelly Buchberger, but they are very rare to say the least.
Craig Johnson was a 3rd-4th liner?!??! I could've sworn he was a first line, go-to guy!!

Old
05-23-2005, 06:40 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
The difference here is that I think Eric is the kind of guy who's grooming himself to be a third liner. Lappy, Belanger, Rasmussen, Johnson, Mair, Avery, they may have been scorers, but they knew they had to develop a nasty edge and then maybe get a chance to use their offense in the NHL. I've seen Nielson play a few times this year (both live here in Halifax and on TV) and I don't think he has the offensive abilities to make a real difference at the NHL level, but I do think he'll make it as a third line, character kind of guy who will get his hands dirty. Every team needs these guys and what separates a good third liner from an average one isn't necessarily puck skills but just plain heart. I think Eric will step up his defensive game, keep being a banger, and in a couple of years will look like a quiet piece of the puzzle to us (not too many points, just a quiet 10-12 min of hard work/game, renlentless bodychecking and the occasional fight) but in that locker room, they'll be crying if he can't dress for some reason. I'll take a player like that on our third line any day. That's what Lappy had to work towards, I think Eric's moving there, especially because he doesn't have the hands to fall back on.

Old
05-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
The difference here is that I think Eric is the kind of guy who's grooming himself to be a third liner. Lappy, Belanger, Rasmussen, Johnson, Mair, Avery, they may have been scorers, but they knew they had to develop a nasty edge and then maybe get a chance to use their offense in the NHL. I've seen Nielson play a few times this year (both live here in Halifax and on TV) and I don't think he has the offensive abilities to make a real difference at the NHL level, but I do think he'll make it as a third line, character kind of guy who will get his hands dirty. Every team needs these guys and what separates a good third liner from an average one isn't necessarily puck skills but just plain heart. I think Eric will step up his defensive game, keep being a banger, and in a couple of years will look like a quiet piece of the puzzle to us (not too many points, just a quiet 10-12 min of hard work/game, renlentless bodychecking and the occasional fight) but in that locker room, they'll be crying if he can't dress for some reason. I'll take a player like that on our third line any day. That's what Lappy had to work towards, I think Eric's moving there, especially because he doesn't have the hands to fall back on.
Perhaps I have a stricter definition of a third liner but, generally speaking, a player in his prime who plays 10-12 minutes a game is a fourth liner. Laperriere, for example, played around 15 minutes per game for the Kings (averaging 13:44 in 2001-02, 15:46 in 2002-03, and 15:50 in 2003-04). Neilson, if he develops, seems like he would become a less talented version of Adam Mair.

Just curious, do you know any examples of QMJHL overagers who scored half a point per game that subsequently developed into NHL third liners?

Closed Thread