HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next years line combos

Old
06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
greatwhiteshark

vCash: 500
A player like McKinnon would do wonders for the Sharks, although it would never happen, feels like forever since the Sharks have had a high draft pick.

greatwhiteshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:28 PM
anthonyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark View Post
Braun is absolutely horrible. In the second round vs LA he couldn't stop any odd man rush, I can't see him ever being a puck moving defenseman either. He is not the player the Sharks should rely on.
Umm ok. Do you mean Irwin?

anthonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:06 PM
greatwhiteshark

Irwin played a hell of a lot better than Braun. The only D that I like on the Sharks are Stuart, Vlasic, and Hannan. Braun and Boyle don't do much defensively.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:33 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

You're thinking of the wrong defenseman because you're absolutely wrong about Braun. He may have lost his offensive game (though a messed up hand will do that to a guy), but his defensive game was spectacular in the playoffs. You're almost certainly thinking of Irwin, who is both a poor skater and likely the worst defenseman in terms of defending an odd-man rush.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Quote:
Irwin played a hell of a lot better than Braun. The only D that I like on the Sharks are Stuart, Vlasic, and Hannan. Braun and Boyle don't do much defensively.
I'm sorry... but this is just wrong IMO. Even my girlfriend who knows very little about hockey noticed Braun out there shutting down the Sedins. He didn't play as well in round 2 but LA is a very good team and provided more of a challenge. Braun is a sold 2nd pairing guy. I like him with Vlassic, just not on the top line. I really want Burns back on D.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:47 PM
greatwhiteshark

Putting Burns back on D could work since he could replace Boyle, but Sharks need offense. Burns contributes alot more up front with Thornton then he would at D. You could move him back to D later in the year, but the Sharks only have 4 decent forwards besides Burns.
I say out with Boyle, lock up Nick Leddy, he will have a promising career on a 1st line pairing with Stuart.

Last edited by greatwhiteshark: 06-13-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 08:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Where do you people come up with this stuff? Lucic, Leddy, these guys are just going to fall into our laps. And when you say that Hannan was one of the only three Sharks defensemen you liked over Boyle and Braun, there's just something very wrong with your assessment.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:24 PM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Where do you people come up with this stuff? Lucic, Leddy, these guys are just going to fall into our laps. And when you say that Hannan was one of the only three Sharks defensemen you liked over Boyle and Braun, there's just something very wrong with your assessment.
I never said anything about Lucic, but Chicago won't have the money to resign Leddy and offing Boyle will give us more than enough money to sign him. And of course I think Boyle is a better defenseman than Hannan, but I look at the money, which makes Boyle's value drop a ton. Even though the FA class is slim this year, there are players like Clarkson, Bouchard, Stalberg, Brunner, and Ryder that can really help out our offense. All we need is to clear out some cap space to sign them.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Braun was still pretty good against LA

Irwin was horribad

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
I never said anything about Lucic, but Chicago won't have the money to resign Leddy and offing Boyle will give us more than enough money to sign him. And of course I think Boyle is a better defenseman than Hannan, but I look at the money, which makes Boyle's value drop a ton. Even though the FA class is slim this year, there are players like Clarkson, Bouchard, Stalberg, Brunner, and Ryder that can really help out our offense. All we need is to clear out some cap space to sign them.
What is with some people on this board (not just you) and their obsession with clearing cap space? WE ARE NOT GOING TO SIGN ANY SIGNIFICANT FREE AGENTS. There is literally no point to clearing cap space.

There are a ton of things Chicago can do to clear space for Leddy: Buy out Oduya or Montador, trade Frolik. I have zero delusions that they'll let Leddy get away from them.

Not to mention they'd want a fortune for Leddy, or we'd be offersheeting him and giving away a first next year which has the potential to be a top-10 pick depending on what we do at the next deadline.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:05 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

So Chicago doesn't have enough money to sign a 4m at best defenseman, so they're trading for a 7m defenseman. Seems legit.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Quote:
If we could land any of those three players in addition to re-signing Torres I would be very very happy! Like I said though... I want Burns back on defense so I think we need 2 UFAs.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:10 PM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
What is with some people on this board (not just you) and their obsession with clearing cap space? WE ARE NOT GOING TO SIGN ANY SIGNIFICANT FREE AGENTS. There is literally no point to clearing cap space.

There are a ton of things Chicago can do to clear space for Leddy: Buy out Oduya or Montador, trade Frolik. I have zero delusions that they'll let Leddy get away from them.

Not to mention they'd want a fortune for Leddy, or we'd be offersheeting him and giving away a first next year which has the potential to be a top-10 pick depending on what we do at the next deadline.
So Juxtaposer, how much do you think the Hawks would be willing to sign Leddy for? Im thinking nothing over 3M.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

If Leddy gets a big contract from Chicago, there is a greater chance that Stalberg walks allowing San Jose to make a play on him this summer. We have Stalberg's little brother in the organization. Do not under estimate the power of brotherhood!

Old
06-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Westin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Outlaw View Post
If Leddy gets a big contract from Chicago, there is a greater chance that Stalberg walks allowing San Jose to make a play on him this summer. We have Stalberg's little brother in the organization. Do not under estimate the power of brotherhood!

V.Stalberg should be a great replacement for havlat with hes speed. Stalberg would probably not have any problem with playing our type of game wich is skating in straight lines and getting to the dirty areas in front of the net.
To compare with havlat that only had six(!) hits all season.

Westin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:51 PM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westin View Post
V.Stalberg should be a great replacement for havlat with hes speed. Stalberg would probably not have any problem with playing our type of game wich is skating in straight lines and getting to the dirty areas in front of the net.
To compare with havlat that only had six(!) hits all season.
For sure, and he can actually play games without getting hurt while he is making a line change haha. Now that I think about it Stalberg is a perfect fit for the Sharks either playing with Loco and Patty or Jumbo and Burns. Chicago has such a good team.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
You're gonna be shocked when you realize we don't even have the pull to sign a Viktor Stalberg.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:58 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Havlat's hits are irrelevant

Crosby doesn't hit a lot either, neither does the Art Ross winner.

1) Havlat is way better than Stalberg
2) Free Agency+Awful FA Crop+Not a lot of wingers=Dis ***** gon get paid
3) Stalberg has 1 goal and 5 assists in 28 career playoff games
4) He's inconsistent
5) He's not a proven top-6 forward.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

I wont be shocked at all. We never get those kind of UFAs.... Which is exactly why I mentioned brotherhood. It's our only shred of hope!

And I really don't think Viktor is all that fast... He is more of the power forward type. He reminds me a lot of Clowe.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Havlat's hits are irrelevant

Crosby doesn't hit a lot either, neither does the Art Ross winner.

1) Havlat is way better than Stalberg
2) Free Agency+Awful FA Crop+Not a lot of wingers=Dis ***** gon get paid
3) Stalberg has 1 goal and 5 assists in 28 career playoff games
4) He's inconsistent
5) He's not a proven top-6 forward.
Correction: A healthy Havlat is way better than Stalberg.

Key word: Healthy!

I'm all for dumping Havlat. We could sign Stalberg and another UFA for the money he is stealing from us.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:16 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
So Juxtaposer, how much do you think the Hawks would be willing to sign Leddy for? Im thinking nothing over 3M.
Roman Josi set the market for young RFA defensemen with his new contract. Leddy can use him as a benchmark. Leddy may also wait to see what Kevin Shattenkirk gets, as he's a great comp for Leddy. Hawks will likely try and use Del Zotto as a comp. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Leddy get $4M. The interesting contracts (as far as RFA defensemen go) will be Pietrangelo and McDonagh. Subban may get a big extension this summer, although Bergevin would be smart to wait him out another year.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
DW got burned by Niedermayer. Never again. He's gonna acquire every ****** brother in the league.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:36 AM
GCB2000

Maybe DW will pull a circa 2010 and offer sheet Leddy(Hjalmarsson), make Chicago match and then pickup Stalberg(Niemi) on the cheap

GCB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Correction: A healthy Havlat is way better than Stalberg.

Key word: Healthy!

I'm all for dumping Havlat. We could sign Stalberg and another UFA for the money he is stealing from us.
Honestly I don't even like Havlat when he is healthy. He would be a could fit for an Eastern Conference team (he was a beast in Ottawa) but ever since he made the move to Chicago his play in the Western Conference has been declining rapidly. He plays way to soft, doesn't really get involved in defense, and is not that fast at all. He just doesn't fit the Sharks "dump and chase" style of play since he is soft and extremely fragile. Stalberg would be a much better fit and player for the Sharks. Havlat needs to go.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:54 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCB2000 View Post
Maybe DW will pull a circa 2010 and offer sheet Leddy(Hjalmarsson), make Chicago match and then pickup Stalberg(Niemi) on the cheap
Chicago isn't going to re-sign Stalberg...like most UFA's he's likely to just go to the highest bidder.

Not sure if the Sharks are interested in him (they should be) but SJ could certainly offer a lot of things Stalberg should want except a high dollar / long term contract.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote