HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next years line combos

Old
06-14-2013, 11:03 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 500
I can understand calling Havlat out for his injuries, but for his on-ice play? Really? Did anybody watch the end of the year when he was paired with ideal linemates? Without them, Couture would barely have had second line production.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark View Post
Putting Burns back on D could work since he could replace Boyle, but Sharks need offense. Burns contributes alot more up front with Thornton then he would at D. You could move him back to D later in the year, but the Sharks only have 4 decent forwards besides Burns.
I say out with Boyle, lock up Nick Leddy, he will have a promising career on a 1st line pairing with Stuart.
Burns was moved to forward to fill the void from Clowe's trade and Havlat's injury. Koala needed to do something to supplement the only 4 guys remaining in our top 6, otherwise he would likely not have received his contract extension. (Galiardi stepped it up at the end there, so there is hope)

The need to have Burns play forward was caused by DW's failure to adequately address the biggest failing of this team's design for several years running: Bottom 6 scoring and depth. If DW fails again to bring in a tweener or two with upside, and a replacement for Clowe in our top 6, he is not doing his job. (I don't trust that he will, but if he does it will be through his strength: Trades).

Designing the team for next year with Burns at forward is a mistake. We should move him back to D, fill the voids at forward in the offseason, and go out the gate with a complete team. If injuries/suspensions happen, we know we could move Burns back to wing and have success. Would be the best way yo maximize our chances.

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Chicago isn't going to re-sign Stalberg...like most UFA's he's likely to just go to the highest bidder.

Not sure if the Sharks are interested in him (they should be) but SJ could certainly offer a lot of things Stalberg should want except a high dollar / long term contract.
The one in we have is his brother, but I think he can land 3.75 - 4 on the open market. Most we could probably afford to pay him is probably 3m.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:30 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
The one in we have is his brother, but I think he can land 3.75 - 4 on the open market. Most we could probably afford to pay him is probably 3m.
No way does Stalberg get 3.75-4 mil. I'd gauge his ceiling to be 3.5mil. He has 3 assists this entire playoffs.

I was/am high on him, but only for the right price. I'd go 2.75-3mil for him max. I'd rather have Torres on this team than Stalberg.

Honestly, I think before the playoffs started people thought Stalberg > Bickell, but now I think that has reversed.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:26 PM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
No way does Stalberg get 3.75-4 mil. I'd gauge his ceiling to be 3.5mil. He has 3 assists this entire playoffs.

I was/am high on him, but only for the right price. I'd go 2.75-3mil for him max. I'd rather have Torres on this team than Stalberg.

Honestly, I think before the playoffs started people thought Stalberg > Bickell, but now I think that has reversed.
Bickell is getting paid 4M next year easily. That dude is gonna get paid... And I agree about Torres, he's changed his ways and I respect that. Still hate Torres but I can't say he doesn't contribute to the Sharks.

greatwhiteshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:36 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post

Never underestimate the George McPhee's and Glenn Sather's of the world....although they may not be smart enough to realize how good Stalberg can be.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Stalberg is the Clowe replacement we need, allowing Burns to go back to D. I wholeheartedly agree!

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:17 AM
CR17

X Thornton X
Marleau Couture Havlat
Torres Pavelski Hertl
Galiardi Sheppard Wingels

Stuart Burns
Vlasic Braun
Irwin Demers

Niemi
Stalock

Would love to get rid of Burish somehow. Fill one of the vacancies on Thornton's line with a tweener from a Boyle trade maybe? If that doesn't happen, there's a little over 10 mil in cap to find a 7th D, 13th F, and the two wingers for Thornton. I'm probably reaching in placing Hertl on the 3rd line. Irwin/Demers pairing may be asking for trouble too

CR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

2013 NHL Free Agent Champions!

Old
06-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

This team needs some Clarkson.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:26 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

I think Hamilton might be able to play his way onto the team next year. Just a feeling though. If he gets to play with Pavelski, it might turn out well for him.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I think Hamilton might be able to play his way onto the team next year. Just a feeling though. If he gets to play with Pavelski, it might turn out well for him.
Hamilton is one of two Sharks center prospects I don't want them to move to wing. His defensive game is where a majority of his value lies (his vision / playmaking are both underrated) and he's a guy you want "controlling" the game.

I think he could probably step into lineup as the #4C and be good but a bit more time in Worcester working on his offensive game won't hurt him. If he continues to develop he really is the type of #3C teams love to have - a shutdown center who can contribute 25-30 pts a year and skate on the first PK unit.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Outlaw View Post
2013 NHL Free Agent Champions!

Not enough cap space, and why would Wingels leave and Marty stay?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:03 AM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
This team needs some Clarkson.
Definitely, Marleau-Couture-Clarkson would be a solid 2nd line.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:31 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Burish is not leaving guys.

We're not going to be able to sign 3 UFAs

Old
06-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Quote:

And where's Braun?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:24 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

We don't bed to spend 5m on a declining 2nd liner in Clarkson.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Hamilton would be a good #4C this year, but I'd rather him develop more of an offensive game in the AHL.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:42 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Hamilton is one of two Sharks center prospects I don't want them to move to wing. His defensive game is where a majority of his value lies (his vision / playmaking are both underrated) and he's a guy you want "controlling" the game.

I think he could probably step into lineup as the #4C and be good but a bit more time in Worcester working on his offensive game won't hurt him. If he continues to develop he really is the type of #3C teams love to have - a shutdown center who can contribute 25-30 pts a year and skate on the first PK unit.
I agree with you. However, I thought that he could do like Vlasic in that his defense keeps him in but by playing on Pavs wing, he could develop some offense there while also observing the NHL guys. Of course, the AHL would be best, I'm just kinda excited we have prospects that could make it soon.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:42 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

So is Freddie Hamilton going to become like Martin Hanzal? Is that a legit comparison?

Old
06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
zombiekopitor
i am lorde, ya ya ya

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post

Designing the team for next year with Burns at forward is a mistake. We should move him back to D, fill the voids at forward in the offseason, and go out the gate with a complete team. If injuries/suspensions happen, we know we could move Burns back to wing and have success. Would be the best way yo maximize our chances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR17 View Post

Would love to get rid of Burish somehow. Fill one of the vacancies on Thornton's line with a tweener from a Boyle trade maybe? If that doesn't happen, there's a little over 10 mil in cap to find a 7th D, 13th F, and the two wingers for Thornton. I'm probably reaching in placing Hertl on the 3rd line. Irwin/Demers pairing may be asking for trouble too

I just can't get on board with the whole trade Boyle and let Burns take over as the #1 D. Burns is not as good at controlling the breakout or running the PP. Not to mention there is also Braun and Demers on the right side as well.
I think if you pair Boyle with someone who you know, actually is a top 4 defenseman he is still going to be a top 10 d-man next year. I mean the guy is still 6th in playoff scoring for a defenseman.

A 6'5 speedy power forward is about as rare as a golden unicorn, not to mention he has about the best chemistry I've seen with Jumbo since...dare I say it, Cheechoo. Get them a left winger who can actually finish as well and that line is a top 5 line in the league, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Hertl or Nieto. It will be impossible with the cap and the market to get a better fit then Burnzie as a top line RW in this market (w/o trading away alot of assets).

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Quote:
My original plan was to dump Havlat to make room for these guys and have Wingels at 4rw.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:12 PM
CR17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes of Teal View Post
I just can't get on board with the whole trade Boyle and let Burns take over as the #1 D. Burns is not as good at controlling the breakout or running the PP. Not to mention there is also Braun and Demers on the right side as well.
I think if you pair Boyle with someone who you know, actually is a top 4 defenseman he is still going to be a top 10 d-man next year. I mean the guy is still 6th in playoff scoring for a defenseman.

A 6'5 speedy power forward is about as rare as a golden unicorn, not to mention he has about the best chemistry I've seen with Jumbo since...dare I say it, Cheechoo. Get them a left winger who can actually finish as well and that line is a top 5 line in the league, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Hertl or Nieto. It will be impossible with the cap and the market to get a better fit then Burnzie as a top line RW in this market (w/o trading away alot of assets).
How about this:

X Thornton Burns
Marleau Couture Havlat
Torres Pavelski Hertl
Galiardi Sheppard Wingels
Burish

Vlasic Braun
Stuart Boyle
Irwin Demers

Niemi
Stalock

I'm not opposed to keeping Boyle; just thought we could try to get a decent return out of him if we can. I don't see him being moved though. Burns at F was a pleasant surprise, but I think I'm just stuck with the notion in my mind that we acquired him to fill a need on the back end The problem with this lineup is that we're left with only 1.7 mil to find that winger for Jumbo and Burnzie and sign a 7th D. Something will definitely have to change.

CR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
And where's Braun?
It was late last night, and I was tired. I guess Braun skipped town or something. lol.

In all reality...

Galiardi - Thornton - Sharkie
Couture - Marleau - Wingels
Havlat - Pavelski - Torres
Desjardins - Gomez - Burish

Vlasic - Burns
Braun - Boyle
Stuart - Demers

Nemo
Greiss/Stalock

Last edited by Audio Outlaw: 06-15-2013 at 11:21 PM.