HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Officiating

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 07:13 PM
lancerzrule

vCash: 500
Officiating

Can someone please tell me where the USHL recruits their referees from. They have been awful this year. Some people may say that the refs don't win or lose games for you, but I think they can. Some of the refs will call penalties for like roughing or holding with only a couple minutes left in the 3rd period. Or last night there was a call made when clearly the crowd could even tell the puck did not go in, the linesman was not even in the right position to make the call, we could all hear it go off the post, yet the head official let the linesman make the call without even conferring with the goal judge who is the one can see the play the clearest. I mean it hasn't just been one game this year where the officiating has been bad, it has been almost every game. Now I'm not expecting a game to be reffed perfectly, but don't give one team or the other a chance to win on a pp. Let the teams play it out. And when the goal is controversial, at least talk to the goal judge. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to add anything.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:00 PM
BCCHL inactive

I won't comment on the goal you described because I didn't see it....but I will side with you on checking with the goal judge. They are behind the nets for a reason.

As for the calling of penalties late in the game....why should the time on the clock give players the right to break the rules?

Old
11-13-2003, 07:16 AM
lancerzrule

refs

That's true but usually it is the really minor penalties that would sometimes even go uncalled earlier in the game. I don't know there are certain refs that seem to have favorite teams and call all the penalties in the world at the wrong times of the game or help change the momentum of games.

Old
11-13-2003, 12:08 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerzrule
That's true but usually it is the really minor penalties that would sometimes even go uncalled earlier in the game. I don't know there are certain refs that seem to have favorite teams and call all the penalties in the world at the wrong times of the game or help change the momentum of games.
When you call minor penalties, you think of the following...

- Does the infraction take away from a potential scoring chance?
- Does the infraction create an unfair advantage for the offending team?
- Was the infraction a dangerous one that had the possibility to cause injury?
- Was the infraction committed one that is in the league's Rules Of Emphasis (ie: crackdown on checks to the head)?

There are other factors that come into the equasion as well. Bottom line, the referees don't favour anybody on the ice and they don't all of a sudden decide to help change momentum during a game....that is done by the player(s) committing the infraction(s). I'm not saying they won't make mistakes. That will happen from time to time, it's part of the game. But to suggest that the referees have favourite teams is pretty far out there.

Closed Thread