HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POLL: Cody Eakin

View Poll Results: Is Cody Eakin the Stars long term #2C?
Yes 28 45.90%
No 33 54.10%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2014, 12:39 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

vCash: 500
POLL: Cody Eakin

Is Cody Eakin our long term #2C, or is that a position the Stars need to address going forward?

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Is Cody Eakin our long term #2C, or is that a position the Stars need to address going forward?
I like how he's playing exceptionally well with two regularly fourth liners.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:46 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
That makes me think that he could be an elite #3C. I'm so torn. I voted yes, though, because hes still young.

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:11 AM
ColeJ

i think he COULD be... but i'd rather he not be, so i voted no.

obvious statement: wouldn't it be better to have him as our third line center, because we have a first and second line center better than him?

if we're going to get back to being legitimate cup contenders, it's not going to be with cody eakin at the top of our depth charts.

that said, he's a great player. i'd hate to lose him. i want him anchoring that third line for the next decade.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:16 AM
SolidusAKA

On a contender? He would be the perfect 3C and would love to see him be a long term 3C

SolidusAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:49 AM
Zrhutch

I wanna see how Dickinson pans out. At the same time though, Eakin's only 22. He's gonna get much better.

Zrhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:50 AM
MetalGodAOD*

Sure why not. If Chicago can win two Cups with Bolland/Hanzuis as their #2Cs, upgrading obviously isn't the be all end of all. Scoring depth and good defensemen are a far more important upgrade than an extra 10 points of production on the 2nd line C.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:21 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I voted no but that's not an indictment on Eakin. Mainly, I think that the team will develop a better option for 2nd line center or acquire one at some point, possibly as early as this coming offseason. I think he's a really good player and the kind that winning teams need but ideally I think you would want someone with a little more scoring punch. If in the near future we become a good playoff team, I think we would need another guy to either push him down to 3rd line center spot or who is a similar player to him who could man a really good checking 3rd line.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:43 AM
KriminellPipa

I voted no. Though I'll be glad if he turns out to be, but I see him more of, as said above, an to-be elite 3C.

If there had been an alternative "Yes, even though he his a ginger", I would have considered it.

KriminellPipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:25 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

I'm as big of an Eakin fan as you'll get. He's who I got on the back of my new home jersey. Hard to believe that Washington gave him AND a 2nd up for half a real season of Ribeiro (and a risk of no seasons of Ribeiro). They had to have known he was going to be an NHLer, and one who should have an above average career.

That being said, I agree with those saying that they'd like to see the Stars have another center other than Seguin that is better offensively than Eakin.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 50
I think he is. He's still pretty new to the NHL and playing this well? There's no reason he won't continue to improve.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 08:16 AM
StarsFan06

The bad thing is that Faksa and Glennie are coming up.

StarsFan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Klockis
Literally trash

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitejalen View Post
The bad thing is that Faksa and Glennie are coming up.
Both are very questionable if they even will make the NHL, if they do it will be in a bottom 6 role, especially Glennie. And I have no idea why it is bad even if they could push Eakin.

Klockis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:16 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Yes. I already enumerated why Eakin projects as a #2 center earlier in the season and don't feel like rehashing that.

I think people's ideal conception of what they want the team to look like clouds their perception of what a #2 actually is.

Worrying about the 2nd line center position is like wondering if we should upgrade the kitchen from granite to stainless steel countertops whilst in a thatch hut.

If a player like Shore or Dickinson turns out to be even better, then wonderful. The point is I don't think it's something you bother going outside of the org. or spending assets to change.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Yes. I already enumerated why Eakin projects as a #2 center earlier in the season and don't feel like rehashing that.

I think people's ideal conception of what they want the team to look like clouds their perception of what a #2 actually is.

Worrying about the 2nd line center position is like wondering if we should upgrade the kitchen from granite to stainless steel countertops whilst in a thatch hut.

If a player like Shore or Dickinson turns out to be even better, then wonderful. The point is I don't think it's something you bother going outside of the org. or spending assets to change.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Troy McClure
BPA is a lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
These two are a perfect fit for his game. All three play pretty simple "go to net" games. The line has been awesome. It's been the second line (for the first couple of weeks of 2014 the first line) by default because it is producing where the actual second line isn't.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Jack of Blades

It depends on how guys like Dickenson, Faksa, and Shore pan out.

Jack of Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:56 AM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post

I think people get caught up thinking a number 2 should be an offensively minded player and a number 3 as strictly a checker. I don't think those things are true anymore and i strongly agree with the bolded part.

I think Eakin is becoming a #2 this year. You can see the offense and defense becoming seamed together where he doesn't just focus on one to the exclusion of the other like earlier in the year.

If Faksa turns out to be a bigger Eakin (which is kind of what his upside sounds like) then that as your 2nd - 3rd lines sounds kind of amazing.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Sure, he can be. It all really depends on how all the other players develop. What would be best though is if there were other better players around him leaving him to become the Barnes/Lehtinen of this team. Maybe not having a spot set in stone, but rather the ability to move around the lineup to "fix" whatever line might be having problems.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:39 PM
jhr1986

I've changed my tune over the course of this year - I've liked eakin ever since his first game in dallas but it wasn't until recently that I've come to see him as a good option as 2C. Ideally he's your #3 and you have a 1st, 2A, 2B, and a 3/4 line, but realistically that just isn't possible these days.

I think he can be the #2 center, even on a contender. But his current line is not a 2nd line on a contending team. There are very few teams that have a 1/2 combo like Mo/Niewy or crosby/malkin especially in the new cap era. If he had better wingers to play with we wouldn't be having this conversation, and fortunately good wingers are much easier to find.

jhr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Captain Awesome

I still don't really see him as a #2. It's just his skill set leaves something to be desired on the PP and as a playmaker. I think he's an excellent #3 d-man and that he'll make a fine #2 in a pinch, but he's not the guy I want as an ideal #2 center. We have Faksa, Shore, and Dickinson in the pipeline and it'll be interesting to see where Eakin ends up in the mix once those guys get here. If any one of them becomes a top 6 player at the NHL level Eakin can become a great 3rd line center, if two of them make it I hope one of them or Eakin can play wing.

For the record, I love Eakin's play and he's a guy I'm really glad we have. Last night he went straight up against the Crosby line he held his own in faceoffs, was aggressive on the forecheck, and obviously shut that line down as well as could be expected. I think Eakin is an incredibly useful player with a very good shot, but I'd like my 2C to be a better passer and playmaker. Ideally, I'd like Dallas's 2C to be someone who contributes more significantly on the PP.

I would also like to note at this time that Eakin would make a good extra in a Dr. Seuss movie.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Nullus Reverentia

No he doesn't have the offense. Ideally, when we're a contender Eakin is our #3C who can contribute 45-50 points in a role that will see him get more ice time than usually third line centre does.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:52 PM
aloonda*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
No he doesn't have the offense. Ideally, when we're a contender Eakin is our #3C who can contribute 45-50 points in a role that will see him get more ice time than usually third line centre does.
I can see him generating a tick more than that offensively by then

aloonda* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
3rd line centers hardly ever score 45-50 points.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

I think he could be a second liner, as you guys have seen this year. But ultimately, I think you'll see a better, more consistent and more productive (vs. the role) player if he's on a third line...he just doesn't quite have that second line skill set I don't think, but his forechecking, his tenacity, his backchecking, great attention to detail, really makes him a really good third liner...

Really was a big fan of Eakin from the get-go, really impressed me, but I think the Stars will make him a long-term third liner and be better off for it...

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote