HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

4 firms submitted bids to run Jobing.com arena by deadline

Old
06-05-2013, 03:03 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
4 firms submitted bids to run Jobing.com arena by deadline

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-bids-for.html
6/3 article -- waiting for Tuesday announcement
Quote:
Glendale city officials hope to know by Tuesday how many legitimate bids to manage Jobing.com Arena have been submitted.
Management of the arena is tied into the future of the Phoenix Coyotes and a possible sale of the team to Renaissance Sports and Entertainment.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...com-arena.html
Arizona Republic
Quote:
Four firms submitted bids to manage Jobing.com Arena in Glendale by Friday’s deadline, city spokeswoman Julie Frisoni said Tuesday.
City consultants are evaluating the proposals to determine which bids meet the minimum qualifications and merit further review, Frisoni said.
The council tentatively is scheduled to award a long-term, multimillion-dollar contract to a management company on June 25.

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...9bb2963f4.html
Glendale Star
Quote:
Renaissance Sports and Entertainment, the group in the process of trying to purchase the National Hockey League’s Phoenix Coyotes, is believed to be one of the four groups.
Beacon is going over the four offers this week and is scheduled to present the offers in an administrative meeting with the City of Glendale June 10 with a final selection within the next two weeks.

New arena manager would take over starting July 1.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
How would RSE be believed to be one of the 4 groups. Didn't think they had any previous experience with managing arena. Plus it would be interesting to see how their bid compares to the other 3.

Perhaps, the Gelndale Star article is incorrect on that account.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Slashers98

Yes it is incorrect, RSE did not put any bid or they wouldn't meet with the City today.

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
How would RSE be believed to be one of the 4 groups. Didn't think they had any previous experience with managing arena. Plus it would be interesting to see how their bid compares to the other 3.

Perhaps, the Gelndale Star article is incorrect on that account.
It makes sense to me. They would need all the arena revenue to come close to turning a profit. All they need to do is put in a bid to run the arena without an NHL team, then cite increased costs of ice making etc. And specify another amount with an NHL team.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:40 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
It makes sense to me. They would need all the arena revenue to come close to turning a profit. All they need to do is put in a bid to run the arena without an NHL team, then cite increased costs of ice making etc. And specify another amount with an NHL team.
arena revenue? the arena manager doesnt receive any of the arena revenue. they would get paid a fee to run the arena.

regardless, that sure would be a really fun amendment to their bid ... "ok, so now we have the hockey team, and here are the incremental costs and revenues associated with each game." i for one would LOVE to see those numbers!

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:42 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
Yes it is incorrect, RSE did not put any bid or they wouldn't meet with the City today.
do you know for a fact that RSE did not bid? or, are you speculating?

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
do you know for a fact that RSE did not bid? or, are you speculating?
The NHL said the RFP process was "silly" and LeBlanc would not meet with the City of Glendale if they participated as it is illegal.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:28 AM
JB52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
arena revenue? the arena manager doesnt receive any of the arena revenue. they would get paid a fee to run the arena.
Well, I guess, and correct me if i am wrong, but the arena manager will surely receive revenu if they rent the arena. In total, the arena management firm will make more money than the AMF.

I mean, the NHL used to manage the arena for the city, and i'm pretty sure they were collecting the Coyotes ticket revenue.

Last edited by JB52: 06-05-2013 at 11:24 AM.
JB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
Well, I guess, and correct me if i am wrong, but the arena manager will surely receive revenu if they rent the arena. In total, the arena management firm will make more money than the AMF.

I mean, the NHL used to manage the arena for the city, and i'm pretty sure they were connecting the Coyotes ticket revenue.
Nope, they get paid to run the arena and book event dates. No skimming off the top from ticket sales since that goes to the people running the event & the owner of the arena.

There's a big difference, the NHL owned the Coyotes so they can do that. They don't do that when they book one of those idol shows that is popular since they don't own the idol show.

wildthing202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
The NHL said the RFP process was "silly" and LeBlanc would not meet with the City of Glendale if they participated as it is illegal.
I thought it was just reported that LeBlanc is meeting with the City this week, if not today.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I thought it was just reported that LeBlanc is meeting with the City this week, if not today.
You are right Dado, today. What I said is that LebLanc would not meet CoG if RSE participated to the RFP process, which means they didn't.

Old
06-06-2013, 10:36 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...der-looks.html

RSE looking for arena deal through non-RFP channels.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 07:27 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing202 View Post
Nope, they get paid to run the arena and book event dates. No skimming off the top from ticket sales since that goes to the people running the event & the owner of the arena.

There's a big difference, the NHL owned the Coyotes so they can do that. They don't do that when they book one of those idol shows that is popular since they don't own the idol show.
It's all semantics really, but the arena manager will very likely keep a % of event profits (or a % of the rent they will charge to that idol show). Incentives 101 says a fixed fee is the best way to ensure the arena manager does nothing (case in point: NHL as arena manager).

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Doesn't the arena management company generally run parking and concessions for all events that take place there? That would be the big revenue stream for the group getting that contract.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Doesn't the arena management company generally run parking and concessions for all events that take place there? That would be the big revenue stream for the group getting that contract.
Yes of course, and if the NHL Franchisee doesnt hold the master Arena Management Contract then their screwed. They need every single possible revenue stream themselves in order to prop up the franchise, ever hope to break even. The Panthers for example, team loses money but the building itself does well, shows a profit. So while re-building the on-ice product after years of ineptitude & incompetence SS&E isnt down & out, on the ropes, concerts, consumer & trade shows etc paying the freight. Anyone buying the Coyotes would absolutely require that the Arena Management Contract be enjoined to the franchise, sole sourced.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote