HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer '13 Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
We would likely have to (really want to) send back salary or have Edmonton retain some. No players I can think of that we need to dump. I think Umberger even though he's overpaid has a solid role.
This is true; every team needs a whipping boy.

Old
06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
That option sucks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if you delete this post, we'll all just pretend we never saw it
Let's not act like he can't play. When he's healthy, he's a good player to play on your 2nd line (first for us.) He would have been 5th on our team in scoring and he missed 10 games, and his specialty is seen on the powerplay. He has 120 points in his last 176 games on a lowly Edmonton team. I'm not saying we trade a first, Jenner, or Erixon for him. But if we can get him for the right offer (EDM has said they would retain salary) we should bite. I know he's injury prone, but he's got one year left, low risk, potentially high reward.

Old
06-07-2013, 12:27 AM
major major

On the Malkin question, I'm going to be most interested if the Penguins give us a chance to talk sign-and-trade with Malkin, and see if he wants to come here, sort of like they did with Jordan Staal. I'd still trade a fair bit for him without a contract extension but not nearly as much, and I'd assume we wouldn't be the most interested team.

Old
06-07-2013, 12:32 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Clarkson is a pipe dream ... really think he ends up in Toronto, as he's from that area and seems to have a desire to go there.
When I look at each teams needs around the league, there are about 20 that could really use one or the other of Clarkson and Horton, or both, and have the spending flexibility for it. They'll get paid nicely.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
This is true; every team needs a whipping boy.
Some boys earn the whip, Umberger was one of them... he played like crap for most of the 2012-13 season...

Old
06-07-2013, 08:46 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
It would imo bc that is what many teams would offer. Or even more.

Since when has player like Malkin been available? Would have to go back to Lindros days, I guess, to find comparable. Obv. that was bigger but still.
There is a limit to what any team would offer for a single player, baring pure stupidity. Especially with a player in the last year of a contract. Hell, you don't even know if he is available.

I'm not going to debate this further, because frankly the thought of debating this bores me to tears.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:50 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Only if it's for close to nothing, like a 7th-rounder.

Hemsky can play. It's just that he's not that valuable.
Oh please, he's worth more than a 7th. Having said that this sounds like a great way to finally get rid of Ruth.

I wouldn't pay much for him, if anything, but if the front office liked him I would certainly go with more than that.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:55 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
There is a limit to what any team would offer for a single player, baring pure stupidity. Especially with a player in the last year of a contract. Hell, you don't even know if he is available.

I'm not going to debate this further, because frankly the thought of debating this bores me to tears.
I don't think he's available either, just speculation. Dreger is no Bob or Friedman for me on non-Leafs related stuff.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Oh please, he's worth more than a 7th. Having said that this sounds like a great way to finally get rid of Ruth.

I wouldn't pay much for him, if anything, but if the front office liked him I would certainly go with more than that.
Of course he's worth more than that. I'm simply looking at it from the standpoint of what would make me laugh maniacally...the trade board going from two full years of "Johansen for Hemsky" to "Hemsky traded to CBJ for 7th-rounder".

Old
06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
OilerFan4Life

Oilers fan coming in peace

Oilers radio man Bob Stauffer hinted that the Oilers may deal the 7th pick for a big young C and a writer for the Edmonton Journal stated that the Oilers were possibly interested in Ryan Johansen.

A few questions:

1) Would the Jackets trade Johansen at this point?
2) Did he take a step forward this year or no?

Old
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

you know what it takes to get Johansen from us...

Old
06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Oilers radio man Bob Stauffer hinted that the Oilers may deal the 7th pick for a big young C and a writer for the Edmonton Journal stated that the Oilers were possibly interested in Ryan Johansen.

A few questions:

He did take a step forward with solid two-way play, and I think the Jackets would be open to trading him. I doubt the 7th would be enough, though. If a guy like Lindholm is available, and if our scouts are really high on him, then maybe if you add a little more. Otherwise, if you want Johansen, it's Eberle.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
you know what it takes to get Johansen from us...
This was 3 years and a GM ago for both teams. Doubt it still applies now.

Johansen probably has the value of a pick in the 8-12 range. We can brush off what happened in Springfield all we want, but it probably does end up hurting his value somewhat.

Anyways, I doubt Johansen would be traded for just a pick. Likely they'd want a young roster forward who can take Johansens spot in the lineup.

06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Johansen probably has the value of a pick in the 8-12 range. We can brush off what happened in Springfield all we want, but it probably does end up hurting his value somewhat.

Anyways, I doubt Johansen would be traded for just a pick. Likely they'd want a young roster forward who can take Johansens spot in the lineup.
Eh, you might be right about value.

If we move him I wouldn't mind if it was for a high-upside center like Lindholm. If we move him I don't think we would have a gaping hole when it comes to defensive centers, with Arty, Duby, and Letestu all capable, and Jenner possibly joining soon. So there's no need for an immediate replacement to come back in a deal.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Kev22

Johansen for Yakupov? Why not center a deal around those two? I think that Yakupov fills a need for the Jackets more than Eberle. Who's the odd man out in Edmonton? Get Yak and suddenly the Jackets would end up with the first two picks in last year's draft and three picks in this draft. That would be interesting.

Where does Sam Gagner figure in this? I thought he was pretty decent center. Not big enough?

Old
06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

A few questions:

I don't think the CBJ would WANT to trade Johansen but the answer to both of your questions would still be yes. They would trade him and he did take a step forward. Big one in my opinion. He has to get the offensive side of the game going but he seemed to be one of the more skilled CBJ players and was outstanding as a defensive center. Wins a ton of faceoffs too and with his size...

Still hopes of him being a #1 but certainly no less then a #2C in my opinion. If he were moved the #7 would have to be involved. I went as far as #7 and PRV for Johansen and maybe Savard.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:48 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Johansen for Yakupov? Why not center a deal around those two? I think that Yakupov fills a need for the Jackets more than Eberle. Who's the odd man out in Edmonton? Get Yak and suddenly the Jackets would end up with the first two picks in last year's draft and three picks in this draft. That would be interesting.

Where does Sam Gagner figure in this? I thought he was pretty decent center. Not big enough?
I can see the team needs making sense there, but we would need to add a lot lot lot more to get Yak.

Gagner is sort of the Oiler's version of Brassard, and though he had a breakout year in scoring, he is emblematic of many of the Oilers problems up front: poor on faceoffs, not strong on the boards, etc... The Jackets could better use his scoring, but keep in mind he'd be taking the ice-time of better two-way centers like Dubi and Arty.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:14 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I can see the team needs making sense there, but we would need to add a lot lot lot more to get Yak.

Gagner is sort of the Oiler's version of Brassard, and though he had a breakout year in scoring, he is emblematic of many of the Oilers problems up front: poor on faceoffs, not strong on the boards, etc... The Jackets could better use his scoring, but keep in mind he'd be taking the ice-time of better two-way centers like Dubi and Arty.
This. Yak would be amazing here, we would need to throw at least a 1st and a prospect with Johansen to get him. He was only drafted last year so it's going to require overpayment to get someone who was drafted #1 less than a year ago.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

This is the most logical post of this brief discussion so far. Asking for Yakupov is not a starting point, unless we're including another major piece. Asking for Eberle is preposterous ... really, the 7th pick would be high value for Johansen at this point in time, as he has a lot of growing to do and has to really prove his value offensively for his value to go up to that of a player that would probably go top-4 this year (Yakupov). If Johansen were eligible for this draft, he probably goes in the 8-12 range ... so I think Samkow is spot on.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:06 AM
AlbertaHockey20

Gagner for Dubinsky

What does a trade surrounding Sam Gagner from the Oilers and Brandon Dubinsky as the main pieces look like to you? What makes it happen? How would you value each?

Old
06-14-2013, 01:51 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Rather hang onto Dubi for his leadership

Old
06-14-2013, 02:33 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaHockey20 View Post
What does a trade surrounding Sam Gagner from the Oilers and Brandon Dubinsky as the main pieces look like to you? What makes it happen? How would you value each?
I can see the team needs making sense here. Gagner gives you a bit more scoring, and he's a top 30 Center in the league, something the Jackets have hardly ever had. And the Oilers really could use a versatile guy to win faceoffs and battles and distribute so the top skill guys can actually have possession. That's Dubi.

I'd still say no to a straight up deal from the Jackets perspective though, because Dubi could score almost as much as Gagner and more than make up for the difference with his defence and intangibles. A deal makes sense here, but not straight up.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaHockey20 View Post
The value is probably close, but I'd rather keep Dubinsky.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:26 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
The value is probably close, but I'd rather keep Dubinsky.
Gagner three years younger.

Career wise stats are about the same. Gagner though did project out to about a 25 g 60 pt guy this past year. Of course he was playing with a lot of high end offensive talent to help his assists total.

Dubi, hurt last year, projected out to 54 pts, but that was mostly assists. Throw in the leadership factor and better D and I agree it is close with an edge to Dubi.

But, if the deal was Dubi & 14 for Gagner & 7 on draft day, depending on who is there at 7 I have to consider it.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Skraut

Dubi is a warrior, and the type of player JD is trying to model this franchise after.

I look at Gagner a lot like Brassard, a guy who could use a change of scenery to blossom. I've liked a lot of the aspects of his game and think he has still a lot of room to grow in the right environment.

Is Columbus the right environment?

I had a good chat with Sam at the Crew game before the 2007 draft when they had many of the top prospects there. The one lingering memory of that is his comment "I hope I get taken by a Canadian team." The only Canadian team was the Oilers at 6, and of course Columbus was 7. I knew he was projected 5-8, and it seemed something odd thing to say to a guy in a Columbus jersey, in an event in Columbus, in a draft in Columbus that you hoped another team grabbed you before Columbus' pick.

I had always wondered what his attitude would have been if the Oilers had taken Voracek, or had LA grabbed him instead of Hickey.

He did stand out though when many of the prospects skated with local Columbus 8 and 9 year olds. Most of the Top Prospects either tried to show off, or wanted to hang out and chat with Rick Nash. Gagner and Alzner both really seemed to feed off of the kids working with them on their passing, and cheering for the kids when they accomplished something.

Closed Thread