HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 11:42 AM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
De La Rose is underrated offensively. He reminds me of Lars Eller during his first couple of NHL seasons. Limited production but incredible tools. All while being a huge, great skater (he's probably a better skater than Eller at the same age) who's great defensively.
He doesn't have the vision, the hands or the ability to play in traffic that Eller did in his draft year. De La Rose might be better on the wall.

De La Rose will play but that's about as unsexy as a pick you can get in the 2nd round, I only consider him at 55.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:44 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
By the way, Liam Coughlin was 3rd in his league in points with 28 goals, 20 assists (2nd in goals).

What confuses me is that he's going to the USHL next season, despite being a late birthday (he turns 19 in September). Guess he decided to take his time in High School?

Saw an interview with him, he sounds like Chara with a deep Boston accent (he's a Southie).

Old
06-08-2013, 11:45 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He doesn't have the vision, the hands or the ability to play in traffic that Eller did in his draft year. De La Rose might be better on the wall.

De La Rose will play but that's about as unsexy as a pick you can get in the 2nd round, I only consider him at 55.
I don't see what's unsexy about a a huge kid who can fly and hit, with offensive upside in the second round. I wouldn't take him at 25, but he's neck and neck with Poirier for me as a player I hope to be there at 36.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:45 AM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have all the faith in the world that Carrier will succeed in this league. Work ethic vs hockey sense, you can work on the first one...much tougher on the 2nd. Carrier might be conducting himself like a kid....but we have enough man power to show the kid what to do to become a NHL'er.
I think work ethic is still a hard thing to teach. I know myself, I have to constantly kick myself in the ass because I don't have as strong as one as I should, I need to be motivated. You definitely can't teach hockey sense.

That being said, if Grant says forget about Carrier, the big boss isn't enamored with him, then I think you can forget about it. Those two seem on the same page about a lot. Maybe he becomes BPA if he slips to 55 or into the 3rd round, but I don't see him taken by us outside the 1st round.

I have to remind you that I am a fan of Carrier myself and was disappointed to hear that the organization might not reflect that same enthusiasm toward him.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:47 AM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
I don't see what's unsexy about a a huge kid who can fly and hit, with offensive upside in the second round. I wouldn't take him at 25, but he's neck and neck with Poirier for me as a player I hope to be there at 36.
It's unsexy because I don't see him able to put in anything more than 30-40 points at the NHL level. In a deep draft, I'm not taking that just outside of the 1st round. Let's be ballsy and see if Dickinson or Bailey can continue to develop their offensive game because they have more to work with as far as tools go than De La Rose.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Who do you want us to pick at #25 (provided we do not move)?

Old
06-08-2013, 11:52 AM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Who do you want us to pick at #25 (provided we do not move)?
Depends on the board ahead of us..
D: McCoshen or Mueller
F: Burakowsky, Rychel or Erne.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:55 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
It's unsexy because I don't see him able to put in anything more than 30-40 points at the NHL level. In a deep draft, I'm not taking that just outside of the 1st round. Let's be ballsy and see if Dickinson or Bailey can continue to develop their offensive game because they have more to work with as far as tools go than De La Rose.
I think you're underrating DLRs tools, but I can see where you're coming from.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Draft

Quote:
I think his absolute ceiling would be 60pts IF he puts it all together but that's highly unlikely. If he stays on his current path, 30-40pts is reasonable. I think he's a more physical, more intense and more defensively capable Viktor Stalberg, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not sure I see Carrier or Poirier being any more. Obviously BPA is essential but it would be nice to have a more versatile prospect pool (Dauphin and Poirier are much of the same IMO).

He plays better off the rush than Eller, may look similar on the ice but DLR is all north-south where Eller is east-west puck control game. He doesn't have low hockey IQ by any means, he plays a good positional and defensive game and he's effective on offence. He's not a world-beater but he has the physical tools to be a top-6 player. I think he just needs more responsibility and more experience.

I would pick Bailey over De La Rose, he's my guy at #34. I think he's got first line PWF potential if he gets it together. He has a lot of potential, I think his development has just been out of whack because of the leagues he's in and injuries. I'm a fan.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I am on the same page as WTK in regards to JDLR. He just hasn't shown that he has any real offensive skill. He gets overhyped because he is European and people naturally assume that he must be skilled.

I like JDLR more in the second round as I think he will definitely play and has the size and speed to be a contributor but we need to grab players with a legitimate chance of either being a top 6 forward or top four d-man with our early picks. If JDLR is there late in the 2nd round with our 4th pick then I would be fine with that.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:08 PM
le_sean

Quote:
He has great tools and should be producing at a higher pace with them. It's strange because he's unlike most big guys that are fast, he actually has good hands.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:13 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He has great tools and should be producing at a higher pace with them. It's strange because he's unlike most big guys that are fast, he actually has good hands.
I think he has Lars Ellerish upside. We could do worse than another Lars Eller in the second round.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Intangiblezzz

De La Rose is so underrated here.

His style reminds me of David Backes and that is what i think his ultimate upside is. Remember Backes went #62 in 2003. Deep draft and he got underrated.

He has good hands, good size, good skating, plays with grit, pretty good shot... What else do you want from him?

If he is there at #34 I consider him, #36 I take him. even if Dauphin and Poirier are there.

I see him an incredible 3rd liner but if he reaches his max potential, a great 2nd liner.

A 40-50 point player with a career year in the 60 points.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:18 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I think he has Lars Ellerish upside. We could do worse than another Lars Eller in the second round.
I have no problem with him in the 2nd round. I think he would compliment fellow Swede Collberg on the opposite wing very well.

The thing with this draft is we don't have a problem with most players in that range, we just tend to like one a little more than the other. I can sit here and tell you I'd have no problem with JDLR, but I also don't know who the Habs would be passing on.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:23 PM
MTLSandman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well with all that debate of BPA and needs, there is no way, for me, that in such a great draft, that Fucale will be a BPA pick and not one for needs. There will be a better player than him. Unfortunately tough to determine how strong he is based on the team he had in front of him but one thing I know.....it's that he is not a better goalie than Vasilevski or Subban were in their draft year. And look where both of those goalies were picked in a weaker draft. So for me, I'll go the other way around...there is no reasons to pick Fucale. Tons of reasons to do your job as an organization to try to find the Quick of this world in the 2nd or 3rd, but no need for Fucale especially based on who will be available. No need for the pressure and honestly, I have nothing against the kid. He is from my neighborhood, I live in Lorraine, he lives in Rosemere. I'm rooting for him. But elsewhere. Not saying he's bad...but somehow, I like what Desrosiers brings and he could be had later on. Or you wait and try to get Bibeau later on. Though Bibeau might fit more in a 4th or 5th round....I hope we are able to get our hands on a mid-round pick.
I might not necessarily be rooting to pick him, but if we do it would be really awesome. I mean, he's from my hometown of rosemere, lived a couple streets away from me, I actually know him personally and remember seeing him just get better and better as a goalie.

We both played for the National de Rosmere and I used to play him in tryouts and preseason... So just on that alone I want to draft him lol

Old
06-08-2013, 12:32 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

What do you guys think of Nic Petan? He's pretty much in everyone's top 30, kid dominated the CHL as a 17 year old. Obviously his 5'8.5" 165lbs frame is his knock.

Watching the tape though, he has elite potential, like 90 points a season potential if he can overcome his size. Obviously a HUGE if. Certainly worth the gamble in the second round, but what would be your reaction if we took him at 25? He could end up BPA.

Obviously we're the last team that needs another undersized forward, but man, is he sick with it.

I'm hoping a western conference team takes him before us, pushing someone else down, but he has a chance to be special.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:36 PM
SOLR

Quote:
If you want to waste a 1st round pick on Fucale, go ahead. I like the kid, admire what he's done for the Mooseheads but he's not the type of goaltending talent that you take in the 1st round of a deep draft. Montreal needs a goaltender drafted in the mid rounds, not a lot of hype, who can sit and learn his craft for awhile, with mild doses of Montreal pressure before winning the job outright himself.

Fucale has the same penchant for bad and baffling goals as Price does. He loses his concentration and focus when the puck is in soft areas which often results in a quick shot beating him when it shouldn't. He also has the same cool demeanor that Price has, looks unflappable and composed when playing well, looks unassuming and careless when he's playing bad.

Fucale does not have any physically dominating characteristics, he's solid all around but he's not going to have a wicked glove hand, or exceptional rebound control, he has fast feet and he's flexible but that's that. He doesn't offer the stick handling ability that Price has.

Fucale will be a solid number 1 netminder for a team but it shouldn't be and won't be Montreal. For the sake of the kid I admire from my home town team who back-stopped them to a Memorial and Presidents cup, I hope he lands else where and can have a fruitful career.
Better, thanks.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Intangiblezzz

Quote:
What do you guys think of Nic Petan? He's pretty much in everyone's top 30, kid dominated the CHL as a 17 year old. Obviously his 5'8.5" 165lbs frame is his knock.

Watching the tape though, he has elite potential, like 90 points a season potential if he can overcome his size. Obviously a HUGE if. Certainly worth the gamble in the second round, but what would be your reaction if we took him at 25? He could end up BPA.

Obviously we're the last team that needs another undersized forward, but man, is he sick with it.

I'm hoping a western conference team takes him before us, pushing someone else down, but he has a chance to be special.
I wouldnt take him in the 1st personally because we have a lot of small players and the risk with him is huge.

He is a 1st round talent though so if he is there at our picks in the 2nd I would like him.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Intangiblezzz

Nic Petan and Jacob De la Rose at #34 and #36 or Laurent Dauphin and Emile Poirier?

I would actually go against the Quebecers on this one.

Old
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I have no problem with him in the 2nd round. I think he would compliment fellow Swede Collberg on the opposite wing very well.

The thing with this draft is we don't have a problem with most players in that range, we just tend to like one a little more than the other. I can sit here and tell you I'd have no problem with JDLR, but I also don't know who the Habs would be passing on.
Couldn't agree more. There's a great a chance players we expect to be picked in the first round could be there. DLR is a player I wouldn't even think twice about picking at #55, but there would be contenders for his spot at #36. I think DLR gets underrated here but, I think there are players people are more excited about.

Old
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:

He's a little ball of skill, I wouldn't mind him in the second round if he falls there. I think someone is going to take a chance on him in the first round.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:50 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
He's a little ball of skill, I wouldn't mind him in the second round if he falls there. I think someone is going to take a chance on him in the first round.
I think a team with big forwards needing to add skill will fall for him in the first too. Not sure what team really fits that profile though. Hope it's a team before 25. If he makes it out of the first, I think Florida would be all over him at 31.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:15 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:

Just watched some tape for the first time. Kid is nasty. I really want him now!

Old
06-08-2013, 01:15 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Nic Petan and Jacob De la Rose at #34 and #36 or Laurent Dauphin and Emile Poirier?

I would actually go against the Quebecers on this one.
Dauphin and Poirier for me without a doubt.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:23 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Just watched some tape for the first time. Kid is nasty. I really want him now!
Yea, he's a guy who hasn't really been on my radar for the habs because I just dismissed him due to his size. But man, is he ****ing good.

And I mean, imagine if he grew a little. 5'10" 185lbs or something isn't out of the picture.

Closed Thread