HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
How did you get access to the combine results? Seems like delicate information for teams to make public.
Someone posted them in the combine thread on the prospects board. He claimed to be a worker in the building where the combine was held and found those results on the floor basically.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Guilliam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
In junior. My concern with him is can he do that in the NHL?
Isn't that concern valid for any prospect?

Old
06-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Habsfannick

I've really like Erne, Rychel, Zykov and Mantha what are the chances we get them?

Old
06-09-2013, 12:06 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
I've really like Erne, Rychel, Zykov and Mantha what are the chances we get them?
Decent enough chance that one or even both of Rychel/Mantha will be there at our pick.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
06-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Decent enough chance that one or even both of Rychel/Mantha will be there at our pick.
Erne and Zykov might fall. One because of the attitude questions, the other one because of his passport.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
At this point my picks for our first 3 are:

#25: Ian McCoshen, Anthony Mantha or Ryan Hartman
#34: Morgan Klimchuk, Steve Santini or JT Compher
#36: Jacob De La Rose, Laurent Dauphin or Nic Petan

Obviously thy may be gone and there also may be fallers that we wouldnt really have a choice but to take them. i would really be happy with any combination of these players other than 2 defensemen like McCoshen and Santini. We need some forwards.

I am not for drafting size or Q players just because we need them. Bailey is a reach at #36 and McCaron scares me a bit. I think as many have realized, i am not a fan of Poirier. So I wont comment on not taking him.
I agree across the board. Out of these players, my ideal draft would be:

#25: Anthony Mantha
#34: Steve Santini
#36: Laurent Dauphin (though the other two choices each bring something interesting to the table).

Last edited by Sam I Am: 06-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old
06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Erne and Zykov might fall. One because of the attitude questions, the other one because of his passport.
Yeah I've seen Erne all over the place. Seen some have him in their top 15. Some having him around our pick. This draft is nuts. Same thing with Zykov. Rychel and Mantha are easier predictions, though.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:24 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Look at 1 minute to 2.. couple snipes right in a row, that show good power, could stand for a quicker release but there's power and accuracy there.
Meh, I still see it as very average, definitely not a big weapon of his. Really like everything else about him though. I mean if he could shoot better, he'd probably have a bunch more goals and be a borderline top 10 forward in this draft int he Domi/Lazar range.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:27 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Mantha and Zykov would be awesome, both are legit top 6 snipers in my books, but I think they both go top 20.

I could see one of Erne or Rychel being there though. After them there's a bit of a drop off IMO among forwards. Next up are guys like Dickinson, Petan and Burakowsky. At that point might be smarter to grab a falling Dman, and go forward back to back at 34 and 36.

Last edited by hogtownhabsfan*: 06-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old
06-09-2013, 12:33 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Isn't that concern valid for any prospect?
He plays a very junior game in my opinion. Very much a one trick pony. If he isn't able to skate around guys in the NHL, he's going to be borderline useless.

Huge bust potential. Huge steal potential too. That's why I like him as an early 2nd round gamble.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Roulin

Do you think some of the negativity around Gauthier and Zykov might have to do with timing? As in, observers got excited about them mid-season, and their negatives were dissected over the last couple of months as the next wave was hyped? Not saying the criticisms aren't warranted (Gauthier's creativity, Zykov's skating)... but maybe there's some Grigorenko/Forsberg type scrutiny here, where timing is disrupting objective analysis?

Old
06-09-2013, 12:55 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Do you think some of the negativity around Gauthier and Zykov might have to do with timing? As in, observers got excited about them mid-season, and their negatives were dissected over the last couple of months as the next wave was hyped? Not saying the criticisms aren't warranted (Gauthier's creativity, Zykov's skating)... but maybe there's some Grigorenko/Forsberg type scrutiny here, where timing is disrupting objective analysis?
After watching Zykov a bit more, my fears about his skating have been calmed. He's a good enough skater considering his size. And he's such a bull, he's able to do what he wants even when guys are draped over him. And he's got great puck skills.

As a CHL rookie, and as a May '95 birthday, his goal and point totals are tremendously impressive.

If he's there at 25, TT will be sprinting to the podium.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:12 PM
le_sean

The boom or bust pick I'd want is Bailey. Great package of size and skill. He combines that with a fantastic attitude.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The boom or bust pick I'd want is Bailey. Great package of size and skill. He combines that with a fantastic attitude.
Combines that with good foot speed and a father who played in the NFL as a linebacker. The more I read about him and the more I got to see him play, the more I liked him. He's #34 or #36 for me.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Meh, I still see it as very average, definitely not a big weapon of his. Really like everything else about him though. I mean if he could shoot better, he'd probably have a bunch more goals and be a borderline top 10 forward in this draft int he Domi/Lazar range.
Id say it is above average and definitely capable of beating goalie in the nhl in the future. i will agree and say it womnt make goalie shiver.

As far as Poirier, he is definitely more than a one trick pony. He sees the ice very well and i like his composure with the puck in traffic. Very good at anticipating shooting and passing lanes.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:36 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Combines that with good foot speed and a father who played in the NFL as a linebacker. The more I read about him and the more I got to see him play, the more I liked him. He's #34 or #36 for me.
He's bound to get a more offensive role with the Rangers next season. Sounds like Timmins and everyone liked him at the team's combine. Late birthday too (July 1st).

Old
06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Put me down as someone else that would select Poirier ahead of Dauphin. Like WTK says, he has the better frame to fill out. He's a warrior and got much stronger as the season progressed.

Dauphin is good, but the Habs have a similar player in Hudon. Emile brings grit and two-way acumen. He tends to raise his level of play when the chips are down too.
He has plenty of work to do in his own zone, from my viewings. I'm not too worried, as D positioning can be taught quite easily and he plays for arguably the best coach in the 'Q. But still, to me, he's not a two-way forward.

Dauphin is.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:45 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
But that's the thing, Morin is basically just a poor mans Tinordi. Worse skating, and 3 years behind development wise. Both are Left D too, which just compounds their similarities.

I don't think we use our first on a worse version of a guy we already have.

In the 2nd round, sure!
Morin is a better skater than Tinordi was in his draft year. And he's already better offensively than Tinordi will ever be.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:46 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Someone posted them in the combine thread on the prospects board. He claimed to be a worker in the building where the combine was held and found those results on the floor basically.
We should create a meme.

One simply cannot hide information to Habs fans.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:48 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
From another team's draft board:

"It'll be interesting to see what kind of impact to the draft Calgary and Columbus will have. Both teams could really throw a wrench into which players are available late in the draft if they use their second picks on players they need instead of BPA (Fucale for Calgary and Morin/Mantha types for both)."

A reminder Calgary and Columbus have 3 First each... Calgary 6, 22, 28... Columbus 14, 19, 27...
My thinking is that the Habs aren't in the " Elite Playoff " teams, like the final four this year. Perhaps this draft year having three more 1st round picks could solve that problem, with the depth of this draft? Bergevin could trade a member of the "Core Group " say Pacioretty + ? to obtain Columbus's picks. The team that the Habs have drafting could pick four 1st's and three 2nd's with two 3rd's. That may give the Habs the "Core Group of a Dynasty" the Hab fans would be ecstatic knowing the SC famine will be over soon.

Quote:
But that's the thing, Morin is basically just a poor mans Tinordi. Worse skating, and 3 years behind development wise. Both are Left D too, which just compounds their similarities.

I don't think we use our first on a worse version of a guy we already have.

In the 2nd round, sure!
The skating is hardly a problem for Morin and other than their size (Tinordi & Morin) both can be captain material. If having two players like these is bad What is good then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ael-Diaby.html

Diaby at 250 pounds for the combine.

Not a great hockey IQ but the MOAR size fans probably want us to draft him haha
Diaby is another gem in the rough (Diamond or Garnet) still a little polishing can make him gleam. The Habs can use a player with his abilities, especially in these days of four rounds of playoffs, someone needs to be able to protect the star players.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Naslund

we are not picking defensemen in this draft. We need physical forwards, and the best available players at our picks will be physical/ large forwards, so it's perfect. Our first-round pick will be one of rychel, gauthier, erne, zykov, hartman, mccaron. All these guys are going in the first round and Timmins will pick the best one available at 25.

In the second round, we will pick two of nastasiuk, bailey and De la Rose. Colarado having picked Seth Jones in the first will grab one of them at 32. We will pick the other two.

We have so many Dauphin- type players in our system, there is no way we pick somebody like that.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
My thinking is that the Habs aren't in the " Elite Playoff " teams, like the final four this year. Perhaps this draft year having three more 1st round picks could solve that problem, with the depth of this draft? Bergevin could trade a member of the "Core Group " say Pacioretty + ? to obtain Columbus's picks. The team that the Habs have drafting could pick four 1st's and three 2nd's with two 3rd's. That may give the Habs the "Core Group of a Dynasty" the Hab fans would be ecstatic knowing the SC famine will be over soon.

The skating is hardly a problem for Morin and other than their size (Tinordi & Morin) both can be captain material. If having two players like these is bad What is good then?

Diaby is another gem in the rough (Diamond or Garnet) still a little polishing can make him gleam. The Habs can use a player with his abilities, especially in these days of four rounds of playoffs, someone needs to be able to protect the star players.
If he is there at 55, take him please!

Old
06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naslund View Post
we are not picking defensemen in this draft. We need physical forwards, and the best available players at our picks will be physical/ large forwards, so it's perfect. Our first-round pick will be one of rychel, gauthier, erne, zykov, hartman, mccaron. All these guys are going in the first round and Timmins will pick the best one available at 25.

In the second round, we will pick two of nastasiuk, bailey and De la Rose. Colarado having picked Seth Jones in the first will grab one of them at 32. We will pick the other two.

We have so many Dauphin- type players in our system, there is no way we pick somebody like that.
I don't know of any other than Hudon with that type of talent, Ribeiro's been gone for years. Bournival, Leblanc, Holland haven't, there's a real need for some high end players in Hamilton. Collberg isn't ready or Kristo and he's not the playmaker Dauphin is right now. Who are you talking about?

Old
06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
jlawrence

Quote:
I was just going to post the exact same thing. If we could get 2 of these guys with #25 and #34 that would be fantastic (though unlikely).

Old
06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naslund View Post
we are not picking defensemen in this draft.
You really should not be making such strong statements. There's nothing wrong with taking another quality defence prospect. Good defencemen are like good starting pitching in baseball, you never have too much of it. And if you do, it puts you in a great spot to make a trade (unless you are like David Poile, who pissed away Hamhuis and Franson for almost absolutely nothing).

Closed Thread