HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Can Ballard turn his game around?

View Poll Results: Can Ballard turn his game around and be worth his contract.
Yes, he can under the right circumstances. 101 69.66%
No chance in hell 44 30.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
probably, depending on what one means by "turns his game around." i mean, he won't turn into 2011 ehrhoff, but i think he could be a solid second pair guy if the situation was right. but sadly probably not here, given his cap number.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:52 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Yes, but not here, not at 4.2 million/year, and not in a top 4 role on a contender

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
luongo321

He has offensive skill that was assaulted by AV. He may not be amazing, but if that is the best we can expect from bieksa last season, he's still better than the pineapple man.

I like corrado and tanev better than bieksa and ballard though. It's too bad that bieksa has that NTC or w/e he has.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
He's not built for that role. He's a top 4 guy or he's a liability.
This just follows the same narrative of those making excuses for him all along.

If he is good enough to be a top 4 defenseman he is good enough to be a 5/6 dman. The role of a top 5/6 dman is not part of some static regimented, very complicated structure in role. Being a defenseman is being a defenseman. Ballard is simply not that good of one.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:05 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
This just follows the same narrative of those making excuses for him all along.

If he is good enough to be a top 4 defenseman he is good enough to be a 5/6 dman. The role of a top 5/6 dman is not part of some static regimented, very complicated structure in role. Being a defenseman is being a defenseman. Ballard is simply not that good of one.
What are you talking about? A top 4 defender has to do what a bottom pairing guy does while facing tougher competition and playing more minutes. In a limited role with a safe partner Ballard can play third pairing minutes against third pairing competition.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
What are you talking about? A top 4 defender has to do what a bottom pairing guy does while facing tougher competition and playing more minutes. In a limited role with a safe partner Ballard can play third pairing minutes against third pairing competition.
You are disagreeing with me when you don't understand what the line of discussion is.

I agree a top 4 role is tougher. That's a no brainer.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I don't understand the people who blame AV. Ballard has been bad. I know it's popular to blame the coach whenever a player underperforms, but come on. Ballard has been mediocre defensively and contributes very little offensively. Maybe with a fresh start in a different system and with the proper linemates and PP time he can rebound, but I'm really not holding my breath.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Catch

Whats possible from Ballard if he was playing a more offensive game in the top 4?
20 points, hits, Blocked shots and solid defensive play?

Catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
RobertKron

I love the idea that the reason Ballard has been trash is because they have played him in situations that are too soft. Amazing.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't understand the people who blame AV. Ballard has been bad. I know it's popular to blame the coach whenever a player underperforms, but come on. Ballard has been mediocre defensively and contributes very little offensively. Maybe with a fresh start in a different system and with the proper linemates and PP time he can rebound, but I'm really not holding my breath.
A lot of people liked that move at the time and are trying to justify that position imo.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Depends on the coach, and how much TOI he gets.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 05:27 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
You are disagreeing with me when you don't understand what the line of discussion is.

I agree a top 4 role is tougher. That's a no brainer.
My apologies, just went through the conversation. He can be a bottom pairing guy, but obviously not at his contract. If he is bought out then sure

Old
06-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Does anyone believe that Keith Ballard can turn his game around and be worth his current contract?
Why would he need to? His game was just fine, all the perceived problems stemmed from a coach that didn't know how to use him, and then blew up his confidence.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Canucker

If Ballard had a coach that believed in him as much as AV believes in Kevin Bieksa, I think he'll do quite well in a top 4 role.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
If Ballard had a coach that believed in him as much as AV believes in Kevin Bieksa, I think he'll do quite well in a top 4 role.
That was a pretty special relationship...

Old
06-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
That was a pretty special relationship...
you say special...I say disturbing.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Why would he need to? His game was just fine, all the perceived problems stemmed from a coach that didn't know how to use him, and then blew up his confidence.
Have to wonder what Bowness was thinking (or did he voice any concerns?) when Gillis likely asked what he thought of Ballard before acquiring him. Seems like a logical thing to do - ask the assistant coach in charge of the D about whether he'd be a good acquisition (*especially* when said person actually coached Ballard a number of years earlier).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Scurr

Quote:
you say special...I say disturbing.
Either way, it's a little unrealistic to expect Ballard to find a coach to love him unconditionally the way AV loves Bieksa.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Either way, it's a little unrealistic to expect Ballard to find a coach to love him unconditionally the way AV loves Bieksa.
True....but I think there are coaches who can instill some confidence in Ballard and get him playing well.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Scurr

Quote:
True....but I think there are coaches who can instill some confidence in Ballard and get him playing well.
AV isn't the only coach Ballard has played poorly for. Ballard has played one season of decent hockey in his entire career imo.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Canucker

Quote:
AV isn't the only coach Ballard has played poorly for. Ballard has played one season of decent hockey in his entire career imo.
Don't really agree with that, but he definitely has had his share of issues the past several years...I believe they are mental issues stemming from a lack of confidence. I don't ever expect him to be a top pairing guy, but I think he can be a middle pairing guy with the right guidance. I'd bet dollars if he went to Detroit, that Babcock could make him a very serviceable top 4 guy.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Wisp

It won't be here, I think.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:50 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
If Ballard is allowed to carry the puck for more than 10 feet then yes. Carrying the puck is his skill, not breakout passes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
He has offensive skill that was assaulted by AV. He may not be amazing, but if that is the best we can expect from bieksa last season, he's still better than the pineapple man.

I like corrado and tanev better than bieksa and ballard though. It's too bad that bieksa has that NTC or w/e he has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This is such a load of crap.

Keith Ballard was allowed to carry the puck. The team finished 1st and 4th in the NHL offensively in his first two seasons here, and every other defender was allowed to carry the puck and join the play. And so was he.

The notion that Vigneault 'ruined him' by not letting him play offensively is just a total, complete fabrication.

Ballard is just a crap offensive defender. He carried the puck plenty, but it never led to anything because he has such poor vision and is such a poor passer of the puck. Every line he played with scored substantially less with him on the ice than without for this exact reason - he was a turnover machine at both ends of the ice, and the play died on his stick.

And in addition to being crap offensively, he was also crap defensively and constantly running around in his own zone chasing the play.

The coaching staff gave him long, extended looks of regular icetime for the first half of every season here. In the lineup every night, playing every third shift. He did nothing with it, and was easily outplayed by Aaron Rome.

And then was benched for very good reason.

The perception the fanbase has here of Ballard is astonishing to me. As I've said before, it would be like having 80% of fans claiming that Marc Chouinard was a terrific player being ruined by Vigneault back in 06-07.

Ballard has been crap for 4 straight years. He's in the same boat as guys like Colby Armstrong and Mike Komisarek - used to be decent players but had their games fall off the face of the earth well before age 30.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:02 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

MS is right. Ballard's problem is lack of passing. He can skate the puck well but since he's not a great passer so he's an easy target. If he had better passing defenders would have more to think about which would make the rushes more effective.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Shareefruck

I don't think it's a coaching issue, personally.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote