HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Rask a top 5 goalie?

View Poll Results: Is Rask a top 5 goalie?
Yes 124 56.62%
Not Yet - but future top 5 62 28.31%
No 33 15.07%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
  #51
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil View Post
He is considered top 3 because he is the kind of guy who when he is on his game, he will steal you the game whenever you need.
any top 10 goalie should be able to steal you a game.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  #52
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Right now, yes. If this is all about this season he's third best. Behind bob and hank. But I don't think he will be this good for the majority of his career.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:55 PM
  #53
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
BETTER
lundqvuist
quick
niemi
bobrovsky
rinne
anderson
SAME LEVEL
lehtonen
schneider
howard
miller
price
Hahahaha wow what a terrible list you have.

Bobrovsky? Niemi? Anderson? Rinne? Those guys are better than Rask?

Price and Miller and Howard are on the same level as him?

You literally have not the slightest idea of how good Rask is.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  #54
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Hahahaha wow what a terrible list you have.

Bobrovsky? Niemi? Anderson? Rinne? Those guys are better than Rask?

Price and Miller and Howard are on the same level as him?

You literally have not the slightest idea of how good Rask is.
List is bad, but rinne and bob are better then him.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  #55
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
List is bad, but rinne and bob are better then him.
But seriously, how? How are they better than him? Rinne had a very average year, is 30. Bobrovsky had a phenomenal year, sure, but Rask has been consistently great for his career and the years he took the starting job he ran with them and had ridiculously good seasons, this year included.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:28 PM
  #56
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
But seriously, how? How are they better than him? Rinne had a very average year, is 30. Bobrovsky had a phenomenal year, sure, but Rask has been consistently great for his career and the years he took the starting job he ran with them and had ridiculously good seasons, this year included.
Well viewing how rinne has played in the past, I think he is 2nd best. Sure this season he wasn't fantastic, but he is a very good goalie. And bob had a great season but its understandable if u put rask above him because no one knows if he will be able to put up the same numbers in the future. Rask is 3rd IMO right now. Not sure if I'd put him above lehtonen for 4th. Depends on the day and how I'm feeling.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:33 PM
  #57
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
Well viewing how rinne has played in the past, I think he is 2nd best. Sure this season he wasn't fantastic, but he is a very good goalie. And bob had a great season but its understandable if u put rask above him because no one knows if he will be able to put up the same numbers in the future. Rask is 3rd IMO right now. Not sure if I'd put him above lehtonen for 4th. Depends on the day and how I'm feeling.
Let's put it this way - Rask's worst season as a goalie (minus his rookie year where he played 4 games) was slightly worse than Lehtonen's career year so far.

Lehtonen '11-'12

32-22-4 4 SO 1,739SA .922 2.33

Rask '10-'11

11-14-2 2 SO 866SA .918 2.67

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
  #58
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Let's put it this way - Rask's worst season as a goalie (minus his rookie year where he played 4 games) was slightly worse than Lehtonen's career year so far.

Lehtonen '11-'12

32-22-4 4 SO 1,739SA .922 2.33

Rask '10-'11

11-14-2 2 SO 866SA .918 2.67
Exactly my point. I have no problem putting rask there over lehtonen but it's very debatable.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:35 PM
  #59
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Hahahaha wow what a terrible list you have.

Bobrovsky? Niemi? Anderson? Rinne? Those guys are better than Rask?

Price and Miller and Howard are on the same level as him?

You literally have not the slightest idea of how good Rask is.
what has rask done to put him above niemi and rinne? Bobrovsky had a better year this year than rask has ever had, same with anderson. I want to know what rask has done besides put up good numbers on a stacked team. What has rask done to seperate himself from the other 3? he shows up for the last few games and he is now better than rinne?

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  #60
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Let's put it this way - Rask's worst season as a goalie (minus his rookie year where he played 4 games) was slightly worse than Lehtonen's career year so far.

Lehtonen '11-'12

32-22-4 4 SO 1,739SA .922 2.33

Rask '10-'11

11-14-2 2 SO 866SA .918 2.67
Lehtonen on a decent dallas starts team
rask on a stacked team behind chara where thomas had a .938 pct

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:41 PM
  #61
redsox7327
Registered User
 
redsox7327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
what has rask done to put him above niemi and rinne? Bobrovsky had a better year this year than rask has ever had, same with anderson. I want to know what rask has done besides put up good numbers on a stacked team. What has rask done to seperate himself from the other 3? he shows up for the last few games and he is now better than rinne?
He has the highest save percentage in NHL history for goalie with 138+ games played and is 1 game away from being in the finals. What more do you want from the guy? I understand if you want to see him do it for a longer period of time, but that isn't Rask's fault. More time simply has to pass.

redsox7327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
  #62
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tututooter21 View Post
Quick
Rinne
Lundqvist
Rask
Those would be my top four, Lundqvist ahead of Rinne for sure though and maybe Rask ahead of Rinne as well (very, very close).

I don't even know how it's possible multiple people think Kari Lehtonen is better than Tuukka Rask. Bobrovsky was a stud this year too but Rask has been a stud for multiple years.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
  #63
ReimTime
Bozakian Bond
 
ReimTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Oi, as a Leafs fan this just kills me. He'll be a top 5 goalie soon enough if he isn't already. He's playing possessed right now, it's incredible.

ReimTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:51 PM
  #64
Lazea
Registered User
 
Lazea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
The only 2 goalies I take before him would be Lundqvist and Quick.

Lazea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
  #65
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
what has rask done to put him above niemi and rinne? Bobrovsky had a better year this year than rask has ever had, same with anderson. I want to know what rask has done besides put up good numbers on a stacked team. What has rask done to seperate himself from the other 3? he shows up for the last few games and he is now better than rinne?
Rask had a .931SV% and rocked 1.97GAA in the 09-10 season facing 1,200 shots, beat Thomas for starting job. He had 5 shutouts.

Bob had a .932SV% and rocked a flat 2.00GAA this season facing 1,100 shots. He had 4 shutouts.

Anderson had a .941SV% a had 1.69GAA (holy ****) this season facing... 677 shots. He had 3 shutouts.

Rask this season had a .929SV% and had a flat 2.00GAA as well. He faced 1,000 shots. He had 5 shutouts.

So you're a) wrong about Anderson/Bobrovsky having better year than Rask ever
b) saying putting up good numbers on a stacked (hardly?) team isn't impressive, however you don't count out Anderson, who had the #1 defensive team in the league this year?
c) say Rask has 'shown up for the last few games'


If you don't want to watch Rask play that's fine, but don't go around touting he's not good and his stats are solely because of the team in front of him. You've only proven your ignorance.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 06:38 PM
  #66
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazea View Post
The only 2 goalies I take before him would be Lundqvist and Quick.
That's what I'd say too. I'm always reluctant to label young goalies as top 5 because we've all seen the guys come in and tear up the league and then fall flat the next year. But Rask has enough of a track record for me to say he's top 5.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
  #67
Dellstrom
We Like Eich
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,944
vCash: 500
Any 4 of Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist, Rask (not in that order) is my top 4.

Has been fantastic every year in the league, as starter or backup, and has been flat out elite in the playoffs.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 07:35 PM
  #68
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
What is that list and what are you trying to prove with it?
Rask has more games played than Reimer, Holtby and Bob. Also only 14 less GP than Crawford. Not to mention past their prime goalies you included.

There is a chunk of goalies who are very close that I rank between #4 and #8-10. Rask is one of them.
Flavour (Canadian spelling screw you spell checker!) of the day? or top 5 goalie in the league?

For Rask: Great stats, leading his team deep into the playoffs for the first time
Against: short track record as a backup to a very talented goalie, plays for a very good team

Now, according to the poll, he is a top 5 goalie. Overwhelmingly actually, yet his best season is 22 wins in 39 games played.

Flavour of the month. IMO he needs to prove more.

Goalies are really hard to rank. They go up and down like bouncing balls. Only the truly great are considered top notch goalies for more than a few seasons in a row. Rinne and Lundqvist are the only ones that stand out right now.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
  #69
XO
Registered User
 
XO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,628
vCash: 500
Definitely.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
  #70
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Flavour (Canadian spelling screw you spell checker!) of the day? or top 5 goalie in the league?

For Rask: Great stats, leading his team deep into the playoffs for the first time
Against: short track record as a backup to a very talented goalie, plays for a very good team

Now, according to the poll, he is a top 5 goalie. Overwhelmingly actually, yet his best season is 22 wins in 39 games played.

Flavour of the month. IMO he needs to prove more.

Goalies are really hard to rank. They go up and down like bouncing balls. Only the truly great are considered top notch goalies for more than a few seasons in a row. Rinne and Lundqvist are the only ones that stand out right now.
He's faced about 4,000 shots at the NHL level which is roughly 2.5 seasons. Over that time he's averaged a .927SV% and 2.15GAA. This isn't a hot streak because those games have been stretched out over 4 or 5 years now - he's consistently at this level, and he's been there for quite some time.

Also, led the league in shutouts(5).

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:38 PM
  #71
Elum
Registered User
 
Elum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Hahahaha wow what a terrible list you have.

Bobrovsky? Niemi? Anderson? Rinne? Those guys are better than Rask?

Price and Miller and Howard are on the same level as him?

You literally have not the slightest idea of how good Rask is.
Whats wrong with Miller being on the same level as Rask?

As for the OP, I'd probably rank him 4-6.

Elum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:42 PM
  #72
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 50
Goalies seem like such enigmas beyond Quick/Lundqvist/Rinne. Seems like there's a new #4/5 every year

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
  #73
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?
 
Ogelthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
As of today, Pens fans say absolutely!

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:52 PM
  #74
Smif
Registered User
 
Smif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,718
vCash: 500
I have every reason to hope he fails but he definetly is a top five goalie.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:59 PM
  #75
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I have every reason to hope he fails but he definetly is a top five goalie.
Shouldn't you be hoping JFJ burns in hell?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.